Can Spikes Play On Third Down

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Can Spikes Play On Third Down

In the highlight reels I've seen, Spikes has great hands (OTA reports reach the same conclusion) and is a definite plus in the passing game. The popular wisdom seems to be that he will be more of a 1st and 2nd down lb with run defense as his specialty. Despite the slow 40 time,  i think this guy will be a difference-maker on day one.
    Do you all think his lack of speed will keep him off the field. I am not very knowledgeable about football but i am in the optimists camp on this guy and i really think he will be a difference maker on defense even in his rookie year

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

Re: Can Spikes Play On Third Down

He's hard hitting and quick to the ball. Depending on what day you time him, he actually could turn a 4.7 No telling what is in store but this kid might be a keeper. As to playing 3rd down, who knows at this point. We've seen Belichick. Spikes may be playing 4th down, kicking field goals : )

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Can Spikes Play On Third Down:
    In the highlight reels I've seen, Spikes has great hands (OTA reports reach the same conclusion) and is a definite plus in the passing game. The popular wisdom seems to be that he will be more of a 1st and 2nd down lb with run defense as his specialty. Despite the slow 40 time,  i think this guy will be a difference-maker on day one. Do you all think his lack of speed will keep him off the field. I am not very knowledgeable about football but i am in the optimists camp on this guy and i really think he will be a difference maker on defense even in his rookie year
    Posted by sirpinochle
    He was very productive at UF,BB loves him as a player and has for quite some time.How much he plays depends on his ability to learn the defenses being run by the Patriots. He will play how much is not entirely in his hands as the ILB has had an influx of quality players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

People tend to think about it the wrong way. The two down LBer in 34 is the guy who gets lifted for Nickel packages.

Thus he will play a lot of third downs when NE stays 34. And he will mis some first and second downs when they play nickel. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

If he's good he'll be in there on 3rd down. Don't get hung up on 40 times because the best linebackers are the ones with Intelligence and instincts. 2 Things that spike is supposed to have along with a motor that runs like the energizer bunny. Take a look at a guy like Tedy Bruschi..Definitely not a great sprinter but we could use a few LBers like him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

NOPE, a 5 40 time is slower than most TEs and RBs. A 5 is what most QBs run. Brady ran a 5.3. 

And nope, he's not a Bruschi, Bruschi probably ran a 4.7 - 4.85. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

In Response to Re: Can Spikes Play On Third Down:
    NOPE, a 5 40 time is slower than most TEs and RBs. A 5 is what most QBs run. Brady ran a 5.3.  And nope, he's not a Bruschi, Bruschi probably ran a 4.7 - 4.85. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

There's no way he is at 5.4... 5.4 Is my time from the couch to the toaster for some tasty waffles... There has to be something coach saw.....ummmm tasty waffles

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

You are correct bigPapi. Here is a paragraph from a scouting report on Spikes, BTW he runs around 4.7 in the 40. I've also heard different analysts on the NFL Network say these same things about him.

Whether or not that's what NFL teams want to see or hear, they will certainly like what Spikes has to bring to the table physically. He stands at 6'3'' and has gotten progressively bigger and stronger throughout his career, now registering around 255 pounds. Size is his best asset, but he has adequate speed -- sometimes running under 4.7 in the 40-yard dash. He will make his living at the next level, however, with his instincts and toughness. Spikes is quick to the ball carrier and he is right at home in the hard-hitting SEC. In addition to stopping the run, Spikes is surprisingly efficient in pass defense for a linebacker of his size. Once considered a sure thing first-rounder, Spikes should still hear his name called in round one (although it would be not be a total shock to see him slip into the early second).
    http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1627

According to these guys and many others the Pats really got a steal with this guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

I am not sure you want Spikes in on 3rd downs as a rookie. I think McKenzie starts after being in the system one year longer and having a better understanding of the system, but Spikes starting by the end of the year and McKenzie rotating into passing situations being faster than Spikes and BB liking to rotate guys.

Spikes/McKenzie will have to stay healthy and consitent down the stretch during the season and into the playoffs, so even though Spikes may see time on 3rd and long, McKenzie may be the better choice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

We don't know if he can play 1st down yet. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics12345. Show Celtics12345's posts

yes he IS SO GOOD

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Spikes is fourth on the depth chart. 

Mayo
    Guyton
    McKenzie
    Spikes
    Alexander

He is a 5.00, not a 4.7. A 5.00 is not good in a pass happy NFL. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

We don't know if he can play 1st down yet. 
    Posted by Macrawn

I have no problem with unbridled optimism from football fans, but realistically, Macrawn makes a pretty good point here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Spikes is fourth on the depth chart.  Mayo Guyton McKenzie Spikes Alexander He is a 5.00, not a 4.7. A 5.00 is not good in a pass happy NFL. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Stop praising spikes so much, 49.  I know he's awesome and will cause a turnover on every play, but your love for the guy is out of control!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

Ill tell you after I've actually seen him perform on 3rd down in a meaningful NFL game.Rookie still means brand new...Patience young Skywalkers.....For all we know,Crable will lead the team in sacks......and Maroney's second ball will drop....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

I think he can...he'd make a hellofva fullback.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I think he can...he'd make a hellofva fullback.
    Posted by HRK103

Whatever happened to Tebow? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

NOPE, a 5 40 time is slower than most TEs and RBs. A 5 is what most QBs run. Brady ran a 5.3.  And nope, he's not a Bruschi, Bruschi probably ran a 4.7 - 4.85. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Good thing Spikes should never have to run 40 yards except to return a touchdown

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

First of all Happy Memorial day to all the Veterans who visit this site,and Thank you for your service to this country. Secondly the most important time that an ILB can run isn't the 40 time,it's the 2 cone drills that they run I believe they are 10 and 20 yards drills,those would be more important times for an ILB...If anyone knows what his times are for those two drills check and see what type of times he ran as opposed to the other LB's that came out this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Brandon Spikes Scouting Report

Position:ILB
    School & Year/Status:Florida - Drafted
    Jersey Number:#51
    Height & Weight:6'3 - 255 lbs.
    Ranked #56 on our Top 100 Prospects Board
    Drafted 2.30 in 2010 by NE

NFL Combine Results
    Vertical jump29.0
    Broad jump9'02
    Three-cone drill6.97

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

Brandon SpikesILBFlorida

After playing a backup role as a freshman, Spikes helped both his draft stock and the Gators while roaming the middle of the defense in Gainesville. He started all 13 games at middle linebacker as a sophomore and picked up First Team All-SEC honors. He did the same as a junior in 2008, also adding First-Team All-American honors while recording 93 tackles and four interceptions. Spikes did not have a huge senior season, in part because he missed two games. He recorded 68 tackles (6.5 for loss), three sacks, and two interceptions.

One of the games he missed was due to a suspension stemming from a well-documented attempt to gouge out the eyes of a Georgia running back. Spikes has been much-maligned ever since, and it was a hot topic at the recent NFL combine. When asked what he told the scouts, Spikes answered, "I just told them it was the SEC, Florida and Georgia. It's a big rivalry game and there's a lot of emotions going on. I just felt like, if you go back and look at that film, both sides were taking shots at each other."

Whether or not that's what NFL teams want to see or hear, they will certainly like what Spikes has to bring to the table physically. He stands at 6'3'' and has gotten progressively bigger and stronger throughout his career, now registering around 255 pounds. Size is his best asset, but he has adequate speed -- sometimes running under 4.7 in the 40-yard dash. He will make his living at the next level, however, with his instincts and toughness. Spikes is quick to the ball carrier and he is right at home in the hard-hitting SEC. In addition to stopping the run, Spikes is surprisingly efficient in pass defense for a linebacker of his size. Once considered a sure thing first-rounder, Spikes should still hear his name called in round one (although it would be not be a total shock to see him slip into the early second).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

First, people have seen him run at rookie camp.  He's nowhere near that 5.0 40 yard time.  He's fast, he's there quick.  Spikes will next run a 5.0 40 when he hits about 40 years old.

Spikes will be yanked on third and 10 simply because Burgess got better as 2009 progressed, because Tully Banta-Cain is a 10 sack guy already, because Crable is likely to bring the pass rush better than Spikes, and because Cunningham is underestimated by everyone.  Cunningham has a bunch of real tools.  That's why he went so high. 

With all four of these guys in BB's UFO package, there's no room for Spikes.   Nothing personal, the rookie will be great at run stopping.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

See, I feel better already. Maybe the guys at Patriot Central actually have a clue on who they draft and why. It's my job to drink beer and throw $h!t at the tv when the Colts get gift wrapped titles. Can't wait for football season. Thanks Celtics, for keeping Boston sports awesome.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

OMG! Stop trying to make this guy look good. He's best 40 yard was a 4.7, he's average 40 yard is a 5.0. He's slow. 

It doesn't even matter. Spikes won't start week 1. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

I dare you to call him slow to his face and have him chase you 49...lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

You are correct bigPapi. Here is a paragraph from a scouting report on Spikes, BTW he runs around 4.7 in the 40. I've also heard different analysts on the NFL Network say these same things about him. Whether or not that's what NFL teams want to see or hear, they will certainly like what Spikes has to bring to the table physically. He stands at 6'3'' and has gotten progressively bigger and stronger throughout his career, now registering around 255 pounds. Size is his best asset, but he has adequate speed -- sometimes running under 4.7 in the 40-yard dash. He will make his living at the next level, however, with his instincts and toughness. Spikes is quick to the ball carrier and he is right at home in the hard-hitting SEC. In addition to stopping the run, Spikes is surprisingly efficient in pass defense for a linebacker of his size. Once considered a sure thing first-rounder, Spikes should still hear his name called in round one (although it would be not be a total shock to see him slip into the early second). http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1627 According to these guys and many others the Pats really got a steal with this guy.
    Posted by ewhite1065

was he drafted as an ILB or OLB? For his weight and height, I would imagine that he'd do well next to Mayo - primarily to stop the run. At the very  minimum, I see him replacing Guyton on the inside, just because Guyton is a little light.

Sections
Shortcuts