Can the Media please continue disrespecting the young D?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

Re: Can the Media please continue disrespecting the young D?

This is what seperates the "big" kids , from the "children" ... LOL Im sorry , but your eating at the childrens table if you think our D , as is now , can help take us very far at all. I have hope for us and think we can get better , we will get better. LOL But your a moron if you think BB is holding anything back. LMMFAO Its almost Dec. , we're fighting and have been fighting to win our Div. all year. And will be until the last game. BB's not holding anything back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Can the Media please continue disrespecting the young D?:
    In Response to Re: Can the Media please continue disrespecting the young D? : Why would you wait to run a defensive scheme if it is needed at that point in the game? One thing BB doesn't do is outsmart himself.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I'm a little curious about this myself. The defense may become more adept at masking coverages and switching in and out as they gain more experience throughout the season, but the idea that Belichick is hiding some kind of master plan up his sleeve, waiting to spring it upon the league at the precise moment . . .   well, that's kind of ridiculous.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

The football punditry are provided with the NFL soap opera lines.  The original soap opera line was that the PATS D was a work in progress in a re-building year.  However, it hasn't panned out that way, so they've shifted from young and inexperienced to young, fast and hungry, because though the Defensive stats are poor, the defense contributes in keeping points off the board at significant times and they have improved throughout the year.

As for Faulk and Sanders, how good are they at analysis and predictions anyway?  They just talk to hear themselves speak and because they're getting paid to do so.  Sanders is an egotist and Faulk has never gotten over the Super Bowl loss to the PATS.  Egotism and sour grapes.  Oh well....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Before I start, let me say that I'm baised.  I don't apologize for it either. With that said. The Pats played the first half in a nickle package for the most part.  They came out in the second half playing with 6 DB's in more of a prevent package. With QB's like Manning and Rothlisberger, if you give them time they will pick you appart.  The Pats lack a pass rush.  It just isn't there.  As a result, Belichick seems to choose to sit back in a prevent and avoid the big play.  You have to attack Manning.  The years where the Pats have had the most success against him were the years where we sacked him.  If you pressure him, you can beat him.  We couldn't pressure him tonight. I didn't see hardly any blitzs.  He was hurried and knocked down a handful of times?   It may have been more, I didn't look at stats, but it didn't seem to be alot.  Their biggest weakness I feel is the middle of the field.   As a result, the DB's are blamed for the ton of yardarg that they let up when it's really not their fault.   With the exception of Meriweather biting on the inside route and reacting late to the deep pass down the sideline, I thought they performed well. I can only hope that Bill will incorporate some blitz packages for later in the season.  I definately see a progression already.  The defensive playbook is expanding week to week and I suspect by the time the playoffs start, they will have a few more tricks up their sleeve.  In this offseason however,  we need to get a legit pass rusher.
    Posted by Ltown1

A couple of things....  First you say if you pressure Manning, you can beat him.  You can lose that way too, big time.  Manning has perhaps the quickest release in the game and he can read defenses with the best.  If you blitz him, and they pick it up, he can kill you just as well as if you don't.  Second point is that we beat him and we didn't get to him, though pressure was around him all day.  This time we beat him with coverage, not pressure.  In the end coverage won this last game, as three interceptions could not be overcome.  That is the story of this last game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Can the Media please continue disrespecting the young D?:
    Because it seems they are starting to feed off it.
    Posted by ponyoto

If there's any iota of truth to that...mebbe the media should continue Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

No such word as "disrespecting" Yes, it has become popular mis use by a small percentage of Americans, such as aint, double negatives, and other aledged words, commonly used by the minority uneducated ( many by choice ). So if you do not want to be lumped in with that crowd, think, before you speak, and make it correct use of the English language.  
    Posted by jaycee1m

Maybe if Sarah Palin used it, then it would be considered a new word. Seems like everything else she says is making it into the... oh wait you wrote unedumicated...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Patriots defense gives up huge stats in the fourth quarter if they're ahead, but when Tom Brady is ahead in the fourth quarter he has some truly ridiculous winning record like 75-4.  Part of that is BB's prevent offense and prevent defense.   The Patriots put 11 times the effort guarding a 50-yard pass as they do guarding a 5-yard pass, so many teams try throwing 10 5-yard passes.  The other team wastes time but gets 40 yards.  Then the Patriots are all set to tighten up on those 5-yard passes at their own 10 yard line.  Likewise, the defense gives up yardage easily between the opponent's 10 yard line and their own 45 yard line, but then they tighten up a bit when points on the scoreboard really matter.

It seems like in most of the games this season, Jimmy Olson turns into Superman in the fourth quarter, but then Jimmy's team doesn't win.  That's why the defensive stats show how awful the Patriots' pass defense is.

In the Indy game, Cunningham didn't get a sack but he did get four hurries and a knockdown.  One of those hurries turned out to be an interception downfield.  Knock Manning down and then keep his brain under pressure, and even he will throw three candybars downfield.  From my vantage point, why aren't candybars and knockdowns part of defensive stats?  Only gross yardage shows up in the national news, not whether that yardage is game-winning yardage or last-second who-cares yardage.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

In Response to Re: Can the Media please continue disrespecting the young D? : A couple of things....  First you say if you pressure Manning, you can beat him.  You can lose that way too, big time.  Manning has perhaps the quickest release in the game and he can read defenses with the best.  If you blitz him, and they pick it up, he can kill you just as well as if you don't.  Second point is that we beat him and we didn't get to him, though pressure was around him all day.  This time we beat him with coverage, not pressure.  In the end coverage won this last game, as three interceptions could not be overcome.  That is the story of this last game.
    Posted by Dessalines

The story of this last game was injuries.   The colts have alot of injuries.  With no running game, teams can key on the pass. 
    Seemed to me the picks came from both the Pats ability to disguise their coverage and miscommunication between Manning and his recievers on their option routes.

With a running game and his starting revievers, it's a different game. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

Why not- they're hopeless- politically correct, legal abortion, same sex marriage, "peaceniks", left wing, anti American, open border, legal mary jane, affirmative action. Today- the media is the Biggest Enemy of all Americans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I don't think it is disrespect to point out that this is the worst defense in new england in 20 years."

Maybe not disrespect but it is myopic hyberbole. For starters, the defense is better than last season. So you don't have to go back 20 years. But to look at the stats and pay attention to player development would force you to go against your imagined storyline that everything is downhill for BB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Can you blame them? They are indeed young. Let's see how they do for the rest of the season and in the playoffs when the pressure increases.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't think this defense is bad, it's just very inconsistent because the young players are still prone to make rookie mistakes and because the skills in the secondary are very uneven.  In many games, the run defense has been superb. They struggled mightily with the very physical Hillis against the Browns, but generally they've been pretty good against the run.  The pass defense is weaker. McCourty is the only guy who has stellar pass coverage skills--but he still makes some rookie mistakes. Arrington has done a reasonable job given his skills, but he's not a great cover corner.  I haven't watched film, but it strikes me that the underneath zones, especially in the middle of the field are open a lot.  The LBs seem to be in coverage a lot without much safety help.  I'd have to spend some time with film to know for sure, but I suspect that the safeties are staying back to protect the young corners, which means the LBs are forced to cover TEs and slot receivers without help, which might be creating mismatches.  The pass rush, meanwhile, though it's not terrible, isn't aggressive enough to force QBs to consistently rush shorter passes. I'd love to get the game film some time and try to diagnose what's happening, but my gut tells me the Pats are playing soft zones with the safeties back a lot to protect against big plays and that's creating openings underneath against the LBs. 

Any other thoughts?  Has anyone spent time rewatching the games to see what's really happening with the pass defense?

Sections
Shortcuts