Can the Patriots stop anyone ever?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Can the Patriots stop anyone ever?

How many teams/games does the opposing team march up and down the field?  Can't count on Brady to  march every score, all the time.  THis is frustation as all h@ll

Don't call me a troll, just stating facts.  Been a Patriots fan since the '60's, so don't tell me that I am a fan of another team, either

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Can the Patriots stop anyone ever?

How about posting on the game thread?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Not yet. But it is still early.

If this is going on 6-8 games in, then I'll be worried. For now, new scheme, new players, takes time to gel (hope).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Can the Patriots stop anyone ever?:
    [QUOTE]How many teams/games does the opposing team march up and down the field?  Can't count on Brady to  march every score, all the time.  THis is frustation as all h@ll Don't call me a troll, just stating facts.  Been a Patriots fan since the '60's, so don't tell me that I am a fan of another team, either
    Posted by Hoier[/QUOTE]

have patience...they will figure it out. i think they have the pieces when albert comes back. even with mayo out for a couple of weeks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Can the Patriots stop anyone ever?:
    [QUOTE]How about posting on the game thread?

Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

Game threads are a cluster, waste of time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Can the Patriots stop anyone ever? : have patience...they will figure it out. i think they have the pieces when albert comes back. even with mayo out for a couple of weeks.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Big al is trash i hope they cut him and sign an undrafted rookie DT.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Okay. Good game. Pats came up with a win...but...Jason Campbell just threw for over 300+ yards. Jason Campbell. Seriously, Jason Campbell. Oaklands last drive that ended in a TD started at or near the 1-5 yard line. Garbage time or not. The Oaklands Offense was put in a one dimensional phase, meaning that they had to pass. The Pats D knew they had to pass yet they still could not stop them! Anyway, that's my nit pick. Go Pats

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Pats Fans = The ONLY fanbase on earth who feel they have the right to be utterly disgusted when their team beats one of the few remaining Undefeated Teams, A team who's opponents up until this game were a combined 5 and 4 (yes, 3 of those 4 losses being to Oakland), and who're equally outraged that their pathetic team's Defense held this team yet to lose, To 13 points, wherein said opponent's first 3 games they scored 92 points thus far (over 30 pts a game). 

Yehp...look no further as to why many opposing fanbases label each & every Pats Fan as spoiled fairweather wannabee fake fans.  Sorry to break it some, BUT THIS sense of entitlement & total expectation for mistakeless contest in every form & fashion, on each drive, and in each play- For Each and every game that NE plays, IS a HUGE factor in why our players and coaches must feel like they've played 3 back-to-back seasons, for every 1 actual real season, Once playoff time rolls around.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

we allowed 13 when it mattered...

We outrushed the Raiders, by a lot.

Campbell was at 240 yards prior to garbage time inside of two minutes...

D looked decent today and once again came up with key turnoevers and red zone stops.

stop Bitch1n!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Run defense was generally good.  Pass defense was terrible again.  Fortunately, the Raiders shot themselves in the foot by making multiple mistakes.

Or offense, though, was excellent I thought.  Great balance, good passing stats, good running.  

Interestingly, the Pats' TOP was less than Oakland's.  The running game on offense didn't really keep our defense off the field . . . but I did like the balance.  Thought the offense looked better when Brady was under center and they were showing at least the threat of a running game.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Not every opposing QB will throw it straight to Chung with no other receivers around him.

We'll see.  Today was somewhat encouraging, moreso from an offensive balance standpoint

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Run defense was generally good.  Pass defense was terrible again.  Fortunately, the Raiders shot themselves in the foot by making multiple mistakes. Or offense, though, was excellent I thought.  Great balance, good passing stats, good running.   Interestingly, the Pats' TOP was less than Oakland's.  The running game on offense didn't really keep our defense off the field . . . but I did like the balance.  Thought the offense looked better when Brady was under center and they were showing at least the threat of a running game.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

That is the take home point for the fans on this board. Despite the protestations of some, running the ball a whole bunch really doesn't yeild TOP the way people think it does. The defense is more responsible for getting themselves off the field. 

NE ran/pass 50/50 today. They still lost TOP by a whole bunch. 

Thankfully, the offense was essentially perfect like they were in week one and week two ... so the defense only gave up 19. 

The lingering question, which I will repeat until the problem is solved, is what happens to this defense when the offense isn't perfect? When Ridley isn't running people over, or Brady isn't throwing for 4 TDS. Furthermore, what happens when the opponent actually has a legit passing attack. 

That needs to improve. No matter what balance you have, no matter how consistent you are, the offense will have games where it only scores 14-21. They may be rare, but they will happen. It does worry me a lot ... because I don't think this defense can consistently play on it's own without huge leads.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]we allowed 13 when it mattered... We outrushed the Raiders, by a lot. Campbell was at 240 yards prior to garbage time inside of two minutes... D looked decent today and once again came up with key turnoevers and red zone stops. stop Bitch1n!
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]

The defense looked decent today? You've got to be kidding me! We only made  Oakland punt, what? Twice all game. Oakland stoped Oakland..we had nothing to do with it. Oakland had at least 15 3rd down oppurtunities and they must have completed 13 of them...look it up. Oakland was 0 for 8 on third down efficiency last week. There is nothing even decent about this defense, they stink.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

Look...they DID play better on D this week...look at the points scored by oakland, at home, after a big win for them....

I'll take the win, gladly, especially the way we improved...a much more balanced offense, almost 200 yards running, finding an actual second running back, Ocho catching two balls when it mattered.....They IMPROVED, not bad for a bunch of old dudes on the DL, and they actually DID manage some pressure on the opponents QB....all of that after taking a trip across the country through 3 time zones....heck, the jets sucked at it..LOL...

I'll gladly take this win...and the teams improved play...

Some people are just too hard to please....must be under 30 years old...wait till you get old and gray...LOL...dudes gotta learn to mellow out !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

I see they whiners are still whining. The D held up in the second half despite losing Mayo and still you whine about stats. If you won 10 million dollars in the lottery you guys would probably whine about paying the taxes on it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

13 points allowed is not decent?

WTH are you smoking?

And yes, I know they scored a TD with like a minute left in the game, garbage time and terrible prevent defense...

We held McFadden to under 80 yards...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from asimplename. Show asimplename's posts

I'm definitely concerned about the secondary, but the Patriots are also doing what they can to take away the strength of the other team and force the opponent to rely on other, less reliable aspects of their offense.  So far, they've done that even though it hasn't been pretty to watch, and we'd all like to see them stop things that seem pretty predictable.  Still, 3-1 is 3-1.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE] I see they whiners are still whining. The D held up in the second half despite losing Mayo and still you whine about stats. If you won 10 million dollars in the lottery you guys would probably whine about paying the taxes on it.
    Posted by Evil2012[/QUOTE]

Haha. I wouldn't ... but I know tea-partiers would, lol. 

But seriously, this was Oakland, in another game when the offense was essentially perfect.

The ease with which even bad passing teams are passing on NE doesn't bother you in the slightest? What if the offense didn't score 31 points today? What if they only got 14 or 21 points? You don't think that would put the outcome in serious doubt with that defensive unit?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE] I see they whiners are still whining. The D held up in the second half despite losing Mayo and still you whine about stats. If you won 10 million dollars in the lottery you guys would probably whine about paying the taxes on it.

Of cousre I would, isn't that all rich people do? Whine about taxes?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisBarb. Show ChrisBarb's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can the Patriots stop anyone ever? : The defense looked decent today? You've got to be kidding me! We only made  Oakland punt, what? Twice all game. Oakland stoped Oakland..we had nothing to do with it. Oakland had at least 15 3rd down oppurtunities and they must have completed 13 of them...look it up. Oakland was 0 for 8 on third down efficiency last week. There is nothing even decent about this defense, they stink.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]
    How many points did they give up?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

For one positive, extremely positive, note though. McCourty looked good today. I didn't hear his name called. It was all Arrington, Barrett and Brown. 

NE needs this kid to play like he did last season for this "D" to have a chance. 

No one has really given him kudos, and many including yours truly were really hard on him earlier on (and deservedly so). That and the effective play of Chung are certainly huge positives from this game for the defense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]13 points allowed is not decent? WTH are you smoking? And yes, I know they scored a TD with like a minute left in the game, garbage time and terrible prevent defense... We held McFadden to under 80 yards...
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]

I'm damn happy we are 3-1 and I'm sure Belichick will improve them, he always does, but they went up against Campbell today. They put 19 points on us. Did you see the pick this guy threw in our endzone...a total and complete gift. There was not one single Raider near that ball, just three patriots, no pressure...just a complete bone head play that many wouldn't make. We recieved a gift on a pass interference penalty that would of put the ball on the one. They shot themselves in the foot heading towards a score on their first drive and had to settle for a field goal. We only stopped them from crossing midfield twice all game! This is decent? You got to be kidding me?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can the Patriots stop anyone ever? : Of cousre I would, isn't that all rich people do? Whine about taxes?
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

LOL.

+1,000,000

I can't wait to win the lottery so I can bliotch about paying less in taxes than I do now. By then, though, I will be able to take out cable news spots so everyone can hear it!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can the Patriots stop anyone ever? : I'm damn happy we are 3-1 and I'm sure Belichick will improve them, he always does, but they went up against Campbell today. They put 19 points on us. Did you see the pick this guy threw in our endzone...a total and complete gift. There was not one single Raider near that ball, just three patriots, no pressure...just a complete bone head play that many wouldn't make. We recieved a gift on a pass interference penalty that would of put the ball on the one. They shot themselves in the foot heading towards a score on their first drive and had to settle for a field goal. We only stopped them from crossing midfield twice all game! This is decent? You got to be kidding me?
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

It was decent this week. But against a bad offense, and when the NE offense was essentially perfect again. 

It doesn't really correlate to the games where they have trouble: a.k.a., against elite passing teams where they are helpless, and against elite defenses when NE's offense can't cover for them by dropping 30+ on the opponent.

That said, there are so many injuries right now on defense, Bodden, Haynesworth, Ras-I, that it's difficult to separate the signal from the noise. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Dude for once, take off the rose colored goggles. Put the kool-aid down. This D has problems. Any team can march up and down the field on the Pats D with ease. This is a problem! There is no evidence that suggest that this D, this year, will improve on that! There is none! You call it whining but I and a few others call it observation. Oakland was 8/13 on third down. This D has yet to prove that they can get off the field without causing a turnover. And if the Pats do get a third down stop, they commit a penalty that keeps the opposing O on the field. Teams with this type of consistent problem don't go far in the play-offs nor do they win championships!

Sections
Shortcuts