Can the Pats get a #3 seed?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

Can the Pats get a #3 seed?

Hey guys....

Pats are 8-5

Cincy lost and is now 9-4

If San Diego loses to Dallas they will also be 9-4

Both Cincy and San Diego play next week so someone will lose...

If one of these teams ends up 11-5 and Pats end up 11-5 who will get the tie breaker? 

Just trying to figure out if the Pats have a shot at a #3.

Wouldn't mind seeing the AFC end up like this:
    1. Colts
    2. Cincy
    3. Patriots
    4. San Diego
    5. Denver
    6. Jets or Miami

Yeah, I'd like to see either come to Foxboro for a playoff game. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

Re: Can the Pats get a #3 seed?

The way we are playing, including today against a horrible Panther team, making the playoff's is defiantly not even a given at this point. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: Can the Pats get a #3 seed?:
    The way we are playing, including today against a horrible Panther team, making the playoff's is defiantly not even a given at this point. 
    Posted by K-max

I'm with this guy^^^^

NE is far from having a playoff seed locked.  Miami and NYJ are slowly creeping to take the AFC East and the wildcard is wide open right now. 

Although I do believe this game helped the defense's confident a bit.

Whats up with Moss?  Was he getting back at BB? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marcus1973. Show Marcus1973's posts

The Pats are still in it for the number 2 seed but they are going to have a very tough time in both of the road games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

The Pats are still in it for the number 2 seed but they are going to have a very tough time in both of the road games.
    Posted by Marcus1973

You've got it right---it's the second seed that's open, possibly, not the third.  But we'll think of this when we're 10-5, and only if san diego falters.  A bye wd be sweet, and lucky...  but at moment too much a dream to consider.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The benefit of the second seed, they may not have to face the Colts until the AFCCG and are at home for two games.  Third seed may mean a division game against the Colts. Otherwise, just being in the playoffs is what we want to see.  If the Pats win out, then it is up to the other teams as to how the Pats finish, seed wise, they can't control them.  Let's just root them on to play well and go into the playoffs red hot!

GO PATS!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

You people are looney.....they need to win their last three games to have a shot at anything..and I give that a 35%-40% shot at doing that, max.

And, to make it worse, they will probably be an underdog to almost all the other 5 teams in the bracket.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

In Response to Can the Pats get a #3 seed?:

trying to do the math out... the way it looks to me if the bengels lose next week and the patriots win they will have the same records and the same conference records the tie breaker will come down to strength of victory, which i imagine the pats would have the edge in with the blowouts this year. 

same scenario applies if the chargers lose this game, except that they would have the edge by a game in conference record, but that could change as the season closes out.

the bengels play the jets and kc, the chargers have the titans and washington.for  pats to get the #2 seed the chargers would have to lose 3 more games this season and the bengals would have to lose one of their final games, which would bring the tie breaker to strength of victory.

for the pats to get the #3 seed either bengals can lose 1 game, bringing it to strength of victory, or the bengals win out and the chargers lose out... i think

all those scenarios assume the pats win out

edit:with san diego winning against dallas, the only way the pats can get the 2 seed is with the chargers losing two games and relying on strength of schedule or chargers losing 3 games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Can the Pats get a #3 seed? : trying to do the math out... the way it looks to me if the bengels lose next week and the patriots win they will have the same records and the same conference records the tie breaker will come down to strength of victory, which i imagine the pats would have the edge in with the blowouts this year.  same scenario applies if the chargers lose this game, except that they would have the edge by a game in conference record, but that could change as the season closes out. the bengels play the jets and kc, the chargers have the titans and washington.for  pats to get the #2 seed the chargers would have to lose 3 more games this season and the bengals would have to lose one of their final games, which would bring the tie breaker to strength of victory. for the pats to get the #3 seed either bengals can lose 1 game, bringing it to strength of victory, or the bengals win out and the chargers lose out... i think all those scenarios assume the pats win out edit:with san diego winning against dallas, the only way the pats can get the 2 seed is with the chargers losing two games and relying on strength of schedule or chargers losing 3 games.
    Posted by flutie66

Strength of victory is determined by the combined win percentage of the teams you have beaten. Points are not a factor. Several weeks ago, the Pats were last in that category compared to Cincy and SD. I am not sure what it is now, but the Pats is pretty low.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

In Response to Re: Can the Pats get a #3 seed? : Strength of victory is determined by the combined win percentage of the teams you have beaten. Points are not a factor. Several weeks ago, the Pats were last in that category compared to Cincy and SD. I am not sure what it is now, but the Pats is pretty low.
    Posted by EnochRoot

o i misunderstood the strength of victory that makes more sense. and yeah youre probably right about the pats not having the edge there

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan36. Show soxfan36's posts

In Response to Can the Pats get a #3 seed? : trying to do the math out... the way it looks to me if the bengels lose next week and the patriots win they will have the same records and the same conference records the tie breaker will come down to strength of victory, which i imagine the pats would have the edge in with the blowouts this year.  same scenario applies if the chargers lose this game, except that they would have the edge by a game in conference record, but that could change as the season closes out. the bengels play the jets and kc, the chargers have the titans and washington.for  pats to get the #2 seed the chargers would have to lose 3 more games this season and the bengals would have to lose one of their final games, which would bring the tie breaker to strength of victory. for the pats to get the #3 seed either bengals can lose 1 game, bringing it to strength of victory, or the bengals win out and the chargers lose out... i think all those scenarios assume the pats win out edit:with san diego winning against dallas, the only way the pats can get the 2 seed is with the chargers losing two games and relying on strength of schedule or chargers losing 3 games.
    Posted by flutie66

Even if Cincy loses next week we'll still have to see how both teams play out their final 2 weeks....all conference games. If both teams do happen to finish with identical conference records then i think Cincy would get the nod due to having beaten Balt twice and beating (1-0) the Jets.

The Pats just need to focus one week at a time...they really need to win out...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

Excellent playoff scenario generator on yahoo nfl.

You can put in winners and losers of all the remaning games and find out what the final playoff seeds look like.

Give you a hint - they will be in great shape if they win all 3, definitely make the playoffs if they win 2, and they are toast if they lose 2.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

Hey guys.... Pats are 8-5 Cincy lost and is now 9-4 If San Diego loses to Dallas they will also be 9-4 Both Cincy and San Diego play next week so someone will lose... If one of these teams ends up 11-5 and Pats end up 11-5 who will get the tie breaker?  Just trying to figure out if the Pats have a shot at a #3. Wouldn't mind seeing the AFC end up like this: 1. Colts 2. Cincy 3. Patriots 4. San Diego 5. Denver 6. Jets or Miami Yeah, I'd like to see either come to Foxboro for a playoff game. 
    Posted by IraqSteve

I'll take that rubber match in foxboro.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Worry about the Patriots winning games.

Everything else will take care of itself if the Patriots just focus on winning their own games (like it would have if they would have beaten Miami, Indianapolis, Denver, and New York).

Win and you're in.  Figure it out when you get there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

Excellent playoff scenario generator on yahoo nfl. You can put in winners and losers of all the remaning games and find out what the final playoff seeds look like. Give you a hint - they will be in great shape if they win all 3, definitely make the playoffs if they win 2, and they are toast if they lose 2.
    Posted by Jaxxon

That playoff scenario generator is excellent-thanks

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

Your wasing your time..... This team is falling apart from the inside out if no one has noticed. Thomas, and now the attitude from Moss, (I think Moss can see his only chance for the ring was 2 years ago) and now hes been acting like he doesnt care anymore, as you can see from Brady and now Welker telling the Media that the team is quitting.
    Obviously BB has lost his edge, the boys that bought into this frame work are all gone!
    Its time to rebuild, period! End of Story! Wheres the Big Tuna when you need him! Laces out Dan!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Can the Pats get a #3 seed? : o i misunderstood the strength of victory that makes more sense. and yeah youre probably right about the pats not having the edge there
    Posted by flutie66

I actually like your interpretation which uses the number of points. Then the Pats would take any SoV tie-breaker.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

I would love to see the Pats get the #2 or #3 seed, with the Chargers getting the #4.  Let them get the #4, win their first playoff game.. then go to Indy and end that nonsense of Colts winning another SB. 

I honestly think the Superbowl this year will be Chargers vs. Cardinals.  Winner of Cards-Vikings will go to SB, but that's just my opinion.  Saints keep squeeking by and if they play like that against a team like the Cards or Vikings, they're going to be unhappy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Hey guys.... Pats are 8-5 Cincy lost and is now 9-4 If San Diego loses to Dallas they will also be 9-4 Both Cincy and San Diego play next week so someone will lose... If one of these teams ends up 11-5 and Pats end up 11-5 who will get the tie breaker?  Just trying to figure out if the Pats have a shot at a #3. Wouldn't mind seeing the AFC end up like this: 1. Colts 2. Cincy 3. Patriots 4. San Diego 5. Denver 6. Jets or Miami Yeah, I'd like to see either come to Foxboro for a playoff game. 
    Posted by IraqSteve

Steve...don't want the 3rd seed. If the Pats get that seed, then we'll have a replay of that awful 2006 playoff, where the Pats had to play the Chargers in San Diego...which might allow the Colts to once again avoid the Chargers. I'd much rather see the Pats end up with the 4th seed. That way, in round two, they'll get their rematch against Indy. Then, should Indy win, the Colts will still likely have to play against their nemesis, the Chargers. Anybody but Indy. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Can the Pats get a #3 seed? : I'll take that rubber match in foxboro.
    Posted by oggieman

Me too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Can the Pats get a #3 seed? :      Steve...don't want the 3rd seed. If the Pats get that seed, then we'll have a replay of that awful 2006 playoff, where the Pats had to play the Chargers in San Diego...which might allow the Colts to once again avoid the Chargers. I'd much rather see the Pats end up with the 4th seed. That way, in round two, they'll get their rematch against Indy. Then, should Indy win, the Colts will still likely have to play against their nemesis, the Chargers. Anybody but Indy.      
    Posted by TexasPat3

My man!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

jests remaining games are atlanta, at indy and Cincinnati. 2 losses for sure, maybe all three, leaving them no better than 8-8.
    fins remaining games are at tennessee, houston and pittsburg both at home. Even if they win 2 they're left at no better than 9-7.
    pats can still lose one game and beat out either fto win the afc east at 10-6, giving them a first round home game vs. one of the wild cards.
    indy and SD likely have the first round bye, leavingdenver, Baltimore, jets or fins to play either us or cincinnatti in the first round.
    Do either of those teams (denver, Baltimore, jets or fins) scare anybody in round one? Personally I'd love to see denver come play in our house. We owe them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAT-from-India. Show PAT-from-India's posts

Pats will win the AFC east ...

But #3 Seed I do not want that..One I do not think any #3 seed has won Superbowl. But pre- pittsburg no #6 had won it either 

I will love to have #2 seed that is best for NE...Please secure the playoff first ... win against Bills & Houston ...Pls

Win agains jags will give us 8-0 home record  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

They will get a home game IF they win the division, division winners are home team in the 1st round against the WC teams.  I don't think they will get the #2.  If we would have played a more talented team Sunday we probably would have lost that game based on how the Pats played.
    I'm not so sure the schedule of games left is as favorable as its been made out to be
    @ against the Bills-throw the records away, we have beat this team more than other teams in the AFC East but it will be a tough game
    Home against the Jags-Good running game and they have a WR that can burn our DBs and they have a good D
    @ Texans-This is the game that scares me the most and this could be the game to decide the AFC East and playoff ranking.  Houston has a passing attack that will challenge good secondaries and the Pats secondary has been a lot of things but good is not one of them.
    To say we can get the 2nd lets just hope we make the playoffs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Right now just want to see the Pats win a road game at an opponents stadium. Next week is huge win that one and if we can stay perfect at home with a win over the Jags should get the Pats into the playoffs. Cincy could lose a couple more games. I just don't see the Pats overtaking the Chargers for #2.

Sections
Shortcuts