Can the Pats get a 7th round draft choice for Adalius Thomas?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Re: Can the Pats get a 7th round draft choice for Adalius Thomas?

If you release AT or trade him for a 6th/7th rounder, now you need 2 OLB in the draft who can play at least 50% of the snaps this year.  Not impossible to do, but really unlikely.  I'd rather keep him if we don't get  3rd or 4th at the lowest for him.  Forget the salaries this year...they almost don't even count....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I wonder if Oakland might trade for him if it was for a 6th or 7th round pick? That is one place I could see him fitting in scheme wise as well as team personality wise.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

I think the Pats can do better than a 6th or 7th. Maybe not the 3rd/5th rounds they paid for Burgess (ahem!), but maybe a conditional 3rd or 4th.

I would have thought Thomas and BB could work through things - this has happened in the past w Ty Law 'wanting enough to eat'.

But after reading Thomas did not even know about this weeks voluntary sessions, makes me a bit more inclined to say he is traded during the draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

He has one year left on his contract going into a possible lockout. Is there a team willing to swallow his salary for a one year rental for a fourth or fifth round draft pick?

He's going into the final year of his contract right or wrong?

If he got traded is there incentive for him for perform?
    Does he have anything left in the tank in 2012 or are there really only two years left on him and one could be 2011 with no play?
    What does he bring to the table as a one year rental with high salary that a team would part with a draft pick?

It would seem to me that if he's a one year rental that a team isn't going to give up much rookie indentured servitude with the chances they'll have that rookie for many cheap years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

Why not ship him to Oakland with a 5th and or 6th for Morisson

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcrossDaPond. Show AcrossDaPond's posts

When is he due roster bonus's?  That will tell us when/if they are going to cut him.  If he has workout bonus ect in the 35mil contract we should get a good idea of bb's plans.  No way they pay him something like a roster/workout incentive and then cut him before the draft.

If he has been paid in any way between the end of the season and now he will be in a pats uni (or traded) for the start of the season.  If not look to see when those are due and we can start speculating about when he gets cut.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbalance617. Show jbalance617's posts

In Response to Re: Can the Pats get a 7th round draft choice for Adalius Thomas?:
    It sounds like most of you think they should hold onto Thomas. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that he will be released. Some of you said his contract is too big to trade and that he's worth more than a 7th rounder for the Pats. Why? Do you really think Thomas is on the opening day roster? I thought we'd be lucky to get a practice squad player if anything for Thomas. Now he's our opening day starter or reserve OLB? Now I don't know what to think.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron

I would trade A. Thomas for a can of cola (the shaws brand) to keep him from going to the jets...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

If the trade value is not there I'd make him play and if he's a distraction then Terry Glenn him or ME Shawn him and make him stay home.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

Are u guys crazy? AD mite have a mouth and we all know he cant back it iup with his pass rush skills but he is a great run stopper who just needs an attitude ajustment, if he isnt traded then u can expect him to be better this year, and if he is it should atleas be a 3rd or 4th rounder

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

TateGroup I think the issue is whether anyone will offer anything for AD. Everyone knows that he's unhappy in NE so teams will want to wait to see if he's cut so they can get him for nothing.

I don't think he's a great anything. He's number one on the list of missed tackles per LBs for 2009. He also opens his mouth too much.

He's definately not worth the money he's being paid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

good point, if we could reconstruct his contract and give him a contract like guyton(which i doubt highly he will accept) then we keep him, he may miss tackles alot but hes the 2nd best thing we have at OLB next to TBC and its always good to have depth, now if we draft BRandon Graham like i think we sould, then by all means cut him

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I say trade him with a 4th or 6th and 7th for Morrison.  At least then we are putting an experienced LB on the roster as we trade one away.  Now you can focus on OLB only in the draft, and use Guyton on the outside as well. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

given his contract, i doubt that anyone will be willing to trade 2010 picks for him. if someone calls on draft day then ne should listen, but i would not trade him for anything less than a fifth rounder this year. i think he has more value than that. besides, ne already ahs a gazillion seventh rounders after compensation. they won't be able to keep them all in the roster. any additional 6th or 7th would just add to the excess.

if nobody calls for adt towards the end of fifth round, i would gamble and give offer him up for a fourth next year. given the risk of a lockout next year, a trade partner may think that it's a good trade, because ne will be carrying more of the risk on the transaction.

a better option  than getting a fourth next year (draft may not be deep at all) would be to trade adt for a 3rd rounder in 2012.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

If Ad can run and tackle again after 7 months of rest, BB will play him.  If not, BB will simply drop him and maybe he'll retire and get into coaching.  Thomas is a BB style player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Adalius Thomas - Peter King reported that "the breakdown, according to Management Council documents obtained Sunday night

• Signing bonus: $12 million in 2007.
    • Option bonus: $8 million payable in 2008, applied for cap reasons in equal $2 million increments in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
    • Salaries: $900,000 in '07, $900,000 in '08, $1.9 million in '09, $4.9 million in '10 and $5.9 million in '11.
    • Workout bonuses: $107,000 annually if he participates in the Patriots' offseason workout program in Foxboro.
    • Cap numbers: In succession, beginning this year, $3.4 million, $5.4 million, $6.4 million, $9.4 million, $10.4 million.

http://www.patscap.com/capfootnotes.html#adaliusthomas

No one will take two years of 4.9 and 5.9 m + bonus' onto their books unless Thomas is going to change his attitude. Pats will have to trade like for like on player/contracts (d: Branch) or give up on a mid round and settle for less.

I still think BB will not cut him, but rather trade him on draft day.

With the changes in coaching staff and BB taking more interest on the D side of the ball. So if Thoams were to remain with the team, then he would have a better idea of what is expected and how to perform versus Pees.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Right now AD is insurance in case things don't go in the draft as planned and hoped.  Expect a trade with him for that day though.  That's my guess. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

AD has been such a DB by talking to the media and hanging around and saying things to his old team mates that I hope they can trade him somewhere.

What do you think AD as a person thinks when he reads he's not worth the money because he doesn't produce? Most sportscasters say this guy isn't worth what he's getting paid - no where near that - and no other teams will take on his salary?

Is it BB's fault he missed the most tackles in the league for his position last year? He's not double-teamed so what's his excuse for not sacking anyone? Why does he get to be angry about the way he's treated? I'm angry as a fan about the way he's treated me.

Of course all is forgiven if they decide to keep him and he's Defensive Player of the Year next year or something like he's paid to do. I just can't believe he will be a Pat next season. Does BB want to keep him just to torture him in camp?