can the Pats power run all the way to a championship

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

we saw the power/heavy run game on display against the Ravens. With the revamped Oline and Blount, Ridley, Boldins, Devlin and Vereen running like the second coming of Clock Killin Dillon, can they go all the way or was that just a mirage.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

we saw the power/heavy run game on display against the Ravens. With the revamped Oline and Blount, Ridley, Boldins, Devlin and Vereen running like the second coming of Clock Killin Dillon, can they go all the way or was that just a mirage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

Re: can the Pats power run all the way to a championship

It would help....when teams with good defenses and a pass rush know TB will pass 40-50 times a game it's tough to make it very far in the playoffs without a great D...a good running game would protect TB, let the O Line get some payback on the oppossing D, keep our own D off the field and rested and wear down the oppossing D so the 4th qtr will be ours...take their will to play tough away from them if they're beaten up...look what it did to the Ravnes D last week!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

exactly anyone have McDaniels phone number, somebody need to him not to pass pass pass

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Good running will help, but so will plays like this, which were also a big part of the win. 

Great call (the bunch receivers create confusion among the defense, which, along with the blitz call and deep safety, results in Amendola getting left uncovered). Great read by Brady.  Great run after the catch by Amendola. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

No.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Sure, there isn't a good run defensive team in the AFC. With Siliga, a healthy Spikes and Hightower playing better ball, our run defense will be tough so might as well play keep away.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TB17JM16. Show TB17JM16's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:

exactly anyone have McDaniels phone number, somebody need to him not to pass pass pass

exactly

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Balance is key, a healthy well fed Blount is another, we for sure cannot win a championship pass pass passing... 2007 and 2011 are fine examples of why.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Definitely. The only Ds that may be a problem are Cincinnati and Seattle. For every other team in the playoffs, Pats has the right RB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

We have a shot at a championship with a power running game, though I'd argue we'll need a savvy mix of Ridley/Blount/Boldin to keep teams on their toes. 

Securing a first round bye will also help, rest up a few defensive guys. If so, no reason why we can't be the AFC Super Bowl representative....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

The right mixture of Rids, Blount and Vereen will help us to a 6th Super Bowl appearance in 12 years.  Stick. To. The. Run.  I don't give a crap what the score is.  Please, Josh.  Brady is so much more lethal when the D has to plan for both phases of the game.  I honestly feel soo confident that the Pats are going to the Super Bowl once again this year if they remain balanced and confident.  Let's go fellas!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

No question in my mind that a strong ground game opens things up.  First round by plus strong ground game improves the Pats chances.  All the way?  Who knows? Still like to see it though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I hope so. And it's what's needed inside the 20 yd lines.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

The thing is Brady is more lethal under Center, to do Play-action. Cannot understand why our Fans dont remember when he was one of the Best Play-Action QB's. Montana like, and he was NEVER a shotgun QB.
    The key word is deception. Play action is a nice simple play, but one that is a killer. I like to compare it to a magician, when you can hide something, you have to freeze. Thats all you need in the NFL. Spit second, Defense is in trouble.
    You absolutely need the Running game for this.
    I wish this Offense would run no more than 20% of the Plays out of the Shotgun. Shotgun Offense is made for a Mobile QB, not a Running QB, but one that can take off if Play breaks down. Everytime I see TB in the Shotgun I think 1 thing Pass, and usually a short quick Pass. Now you just made it easier for Defense. You definetly dont have to worry about TB taking off. Now its 11 to 10 advantage for Defense. I'm sure no GOOD Defensive Coordinator gameplans for TB to take off, and run. Sure they will hand off in this formation, wish they would do it more.
    Balance is huge. 07 season, has people forgetting Fundementals and Complimentary Football.

Please stay on subject, this thread has nothing to do about the Pats Defense. I like reading eveyone's comments.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I think what people are really forgetting is that we had a good running game inside the 20 yd lines for all three SB wins.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

If we agree to not get giddy over one game (last week) has anyone seen the consistancy from the OL the entire year to lead us to believe they can run at will in the playoffs? 

I actually thought the key to the run game success last week was due to the Ravens playing pass first, with Suggs and Ngata coming upfield and leaving lanes open. The Ravens also did a good job putting their LB's in that mid field area taking away the quick slants TB loves. 

All this simply opened up the run game...

I presume BB will have this team prepared to do anything needed in any game, pass heavy, run heavy or balance, with TB able to execute what ever BB wants. This flexibility ImO has been the key to the pats success. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

If we agree to not get giddy over one game (last week) has anyone seen the consistancy from the OL the entire year to lead us to believe they can run at will in the playoffs? 

I actually thought the key to the run game success last week was due to the Ravens playing pass first, with Suggs and Ngata coming upfield and leaving lanes open. The Ravens also did a good job putting their LB's in that mid field area taking away the quick slants TB loves. 

I presume BB will have this team prepared to do anything needed in any game, pass heavy, run heavy or balance, with TB able to execute what ever BB wants. This flexibility ImO has been the key to the pats success. 

I thought the success of the run game was patience by McDaniels, even when it wasn't overly successful he kept at it and Blount started ripping off more long runs.  I thought the run game was partly responsible for the play action working so well, not the opposite.  He sure does remind me of Antwoine Smith.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I thought the success of the run game was patience by McDaniels, even when it wasn't overly successful he kept at it and Blount started ripping off more long runs.  I thought the run game was partly responsible for the play action working so well, not the opposite.  He sure does remind me of Antwoine Smith.

Wozzy, I think the success was more because the run was working more consistently.  I went back and looked at the play-by-play and watched film of the last three games.  Many of the running formations and plays were identical in all games, it's just that the Pats got more big gains and fewer small ones against the Ravens and generally ended up in situations where running was more appropriate.  I don't think McDaniels or Belichick lose patience or give up on the run.  I just think they sometimes find it isn't working and end up in situations where passing is more necessary.  Also, the Pats played from well ahead in the Ravens game, and running becomes more feasible when you're ahead.  They've been playing from behind a lot recently, which forces more passing.

Play action worked this game, but so did shotgun formations.  I didn't count all the plays, but from a quick skim of the play-by-play, it seemed to me like Brady's completion percentage may have been better from the shotgun than from under center at least for the first three quarters (fourth quarter may have flipped).  I think the two sacks were both against the shotgun. Against several teams this year, however, they've had trouble with sacks on play action, especially when they pull a guard.  

My point, really, is that while running well is always good, the bias against passing and the shotgun is really unwarranted when you look at what happens in the games.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

What defense doesn't play the pass first against us? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

The thing is Brady is more lethal under Center, to do Play-action. Cannot understand why our Fans dont remember when he was one of the Best Play-Action QB's. Montana like, and he was NEVER a shotgun QB.
    The key word is deception. Play action is a nice simple play, but one that is a killer. I like to compare it to a magician, when you can hide something, you have to freeze. Thats all you need in the NFL. Spit second, Defense is in trouble.
    You absolutely need the Running game for this.
    I wish this Offense would run no more than 20% of the Plays out of the Shotgun. Shotgun Offense is made for a Mobile QB, not a Running QB, but one that can take off if Play breaks down. Everytime I see TB in the Shotgun I think 1 thing Pass, and usually a short quick Pass. Now you just made it easier for Defense. You definetly dont have to worry about TB taking off. Now its 11 to 10 advantage for Defense. I'm sure no GOOD Defensive Coordinator gameplans for TB to take off, and run. Sure they will hand off in this formation, wish they would do it more.
    Balance is huge. 07 season, has people forgetting Fundementals and Complimentary Football.

Please stay on subject, this thread has nothing to do about the Pats Defense. I like reading eveyone's comments.

I agree that Brady is one of the best play action passers in football...he sells it, he moves his hips around fast, and he sets his feet very quickly to fire the ball (and we all know he's not a one trick pony that won't be able to throw it to someone else if his first read is covered...like Bledsoe couldn't).

The thing is if the run is not working, play action will not only not work, but get you in serious trouble. Brady is on record saying he loves the play action, but if the defense isn't buying it or not commiting to the run, it doesn't work. That's the thing - people think you just have to commit to running the ball and everything will be just fine - not true!! You have to run it WELL for it to be effective, if not your game/season will be over. If you can't run it well a defense will not commit to extra defenders in the box....the safety won't bite...especially if they are well coached.

I think balance is the key. I will aslo say our offensive line at times this season has been horrendous both in run and pass blocking. That may not of been the case last Sunday, but the fact remains it has been all year. I see our runners being met 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage rather regularly - that kills drives...kills them.

Do I like a running ame? Nothing better. Do I think it's important? Hell yes I do. Do I think we can power run all the way to a championship? No way in hell with this group. No way. Do I think they can give us enough balance to be successful? I think they may be able to if everything goes perfectly, but it's hard to be perfect. The problem is none of our backs are special and our line isn't a drive blocking unit....add in the fact Gronk is now gone and balance/dynamic is now going to be very hard to come by. People discount what Gronk means to balance, the running game and the passing game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

What defense doesn't play the pass first against us? 

On a quick review of film, it did seem like the Ravens were playing a little soft, keeping their safeties back and not attacking the LOS very aggressively with their LBs.  The big difference I saw, though, was that the Pats O line and TEs/FBs were doing a good job of opening holes and the Ravens D line was doing a bad job of closing them.  The Ravens' D line was getting pushed laterally very effectively, and it was leaving big cutback lanes open.

When I looked at similar runs in the Dolphins' and Browns' games, those defenses were just doing a much better job clogging up the holes (or maybe our blockers weren't doing as good a job).

Sections
Shortcuts