can the Pats power run all the way to a championship

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: can the Pats power run all the way to a championship

A couple points:

The "championship years" as they're affectionately known was also the time Charlie Weis set Brady in shotgun with an empty backfield, they used the shotgun back then as well, they also ran out of the gun with Faulk often.  The difference was more of what we saw against the Ravens which was just better (balanced) play calling and execution.  There were also more power sets back then which we're seeing more of now than we ever did in the O'brien years so I can see the misinterpretation as shotgun as being the problem, the problem hasn't been shotgun sets but a lack of I Form and power sets as well as a variation of running plays.

Pro and Phatty, I don't think you let match ups or how something is working dictate your offense, to truly be good you have to impose your will on the other team as well as trick them with play action and misdirection, we called and executed a much better offensive game than I've seen all year, there were moments mid game when the run was only getting small gains but we were consistent and by game's end we were ripping off large chunks again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we agree to not get giddy over one game (last week) has anyone seen the consistancy from the OL the entire year to lead us to believe they can run at will in the playoffs? 

I actually thought the key to the run game success last week was due to the Ravens playing pass first, with Suggs and Ngata coming upfield and leaving lanes open. The Ravens also did a good job putting their LB's in that mid field area taking away the quick slants TB loves. 

All this simply opened up the run game...

I presume BB will have this team prepared to do anything needed in any game, pass heavy, run heavy or balance, with TB able to execute what ever BB wants. This flexibility ImO has been the key to the pats success. 

[/QUOTE] 

What defense doesn't play the pass first against us? 

[/QUOTE]

On a quick review of film, it did seem like the Ravens were playing a little soft, keeping their safeties back and not attacking the LOS very aggressively with their LBs.  The big difference I saw, though, was that the Pats O line and TEs/FBs were doing a good job of opening holes and the Ravens D line was doing a bad job of closing them.  The Ravens' D line was getting pushed laterally very effectively, and it was leaving big cutback lanes open.

When I looked at similar runs in the Dolphins' and Browns' games, those defenses were just doing a much better job clogging up the holes (or maybe our blockers weren't doing as good a job).

[/QUOTE]

We ran the ball 34 times...more than we passed...I can't remember the last time that happened. Of course Bal thought they would feast on Brady and had no clue what to do about Blount.

I believe we were perfect in red zone offense and that was due to the run. When is the last time that happened?

I hate theories....I could give a rats azz whether we think the PATS can rally this team to NJ with a running game or not...it's time we actually found out.

Until Blount stops running over folks I'm not interested in what he can't do.

You watch how Blount grins at people after he runs them over....Blount has what this team needs....he's one tough SOB who enjoys contact.

What do teams do now when they line up against us thinking "darn, the Pats can run it if they want to"

Until Ridley, Bolden and Blount are stopped I have zero intrest in debate in shoulda, woulda...coulda....I want them running the ball...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

To show what I mean, look at how aggressively the Browns attack the LOS on this run:

Now look at how soft the Ravens play

The Browns seemed much less concerned with the Pats' playaction. In fact, three of their four sacks of Brady came in play action, which kind of proves that play action isn't necessarily the panacea some fans seem to think. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We ran the ball 34 times...more than we passed...I can't remember the last time that happened. Of course Bal thought they would feast on Brady and had no clue what to do about Blount.

I believe we were perfect in red zone offense and that was due to the run. When is the last time that happened?

I hate theories....I could give a rats azz whether we think the PATS can rally this team to NJ with a running game or not...it's time we actually found out.

You watch how Blount grins at people after he runs them over....Blount has what this team needs....he's one tough SOB who enjoys contact.

What do teams do now when they line up against us thinking "darn, the Pats can run it if they want to"

Until Ridley, Bolden and Blount are stopped I have zero intrest in debate in shoulda, woulda...coulda....I want them running the ball...

[/QUOTE]

Well said.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A couple points:

The "championship years" as they're affectionately known was also the time Charlie Weis set Brady in shotgun with an empty backfield, they used the shotgun back then as well, they also ran out of the gun with Faulk often.  The difference was more of what we saw against the Ravens which was just better (balanced) play calling and execution.  There were also more power sets back then which we're seeing more of now than we ever did in the O'brien years so I can see the misinterpretation as shotgun as being the problem, the problem hasn't been shotgun sets but a lack of I Form and power sets as well as a variation of running plays.

Pro and Phatty, I don't think you let match ups or how something is working dictate your offense, to truly be good you have to impose your will on the other team as well as trick them with play action and misdirection, we called and executed a much better offensive game than I've seen all year, there were moments mid game when the run was only getting small gains but we were consistent and by game's end we were ripping off large chunks again.

[/QUOTE]

I think if it were as simple as just sticking to the run, Belichick would do that.  I do think match ups and whether something is working or not do matter . . . a lot.  I don't think it makes any sense to bang your head against a wall.  It is true that in 2011 paticularly we didn't do that many I formation plays, though we did run some and we did an awful lot with the two TEs blocking almost as FBs.  The reality was the 2011 offense was more productive than this offense and won more regular season games.  It also won two playoff games and got to the Super Bowl where it fizzled mostly because Gronk (who was a key part of that offense) was hobbled.  That offense is unfairly maligned in my opinion simply because it didn't win the Super Bowl.  In reality, it was one of the best offenses the Pats have had.  It wasn't as diverse or deep as it ideally should have been, but the coaches did a great job making it highly productive given a somewhat odd group of offensive weapons in the skill positions.  

Getting back to this year, I think the Pats stuck with the run against the Ravens because it was working.  In the third quarter, they had some hiccups with it and got away from it for a bit (though not that much)--but again, that was determined by what was working and what wasn't working and by game situation.  The run later started working again and they were able to stick with it in the fourth, especially since they had a good lead.  Against the Dolphins and Browns, they weren't so successful with it and had to do other things.  Sticking with it in those games probably wouldn't have helped.  If it's not working well and you're in lots of second or third and longs, then you just can't keep running because you think it's good to run.  You need to start passing.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If we agree to not get giddy over one game (last week) has anyone seen the consistancy from the OL the entire year to lead us to believe they can run at will in the playoffs? 

I actually thought the key to the run game success last week was due to the Ravens playing pass first, with Suggs and Ngata coming upfield and leaving lanes open. The Ravens also did a good job putting their LB's in that mid field area taking away the quick slants TB loves. 

I presume BB will have this team prepared to do anything needed in any game, pass heavy, run heavy or balance, with TB able to execute what ever BB wants. This flexibility ImO has been the key to the pats success. 

[/QUOTE] 

What defense doesn't play the pass first against us? 

[/QUOTE]

On a quick review of film, it did seem like the Ravens were playing a little soft, keeping their safeties back and not attacking the LOS very aggressively with their LBs.  The big difference I saw, though, was that the Pats O line and TEs/FBs were doing a good job of opening holes and the Ravens D line was doing a bad job of closing them.  The Ravens' D line was getting pushed laterally very effectively, and it was leaving big cutback lanes open.

When I looked at similar runs in the Dolphins' and Browns' games, those defenses were just doing a much better job clogging up the holes (or maybe our blockers weren't doing as good a job).

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess, go tell that to Bill Belichick.  Personally, I'm pretty pleased with the way the coaches manage the offense.  I don't think this team is going to run for the sake of running.  They'll run if it's working well and they're ahead, but in most games you can expect the typical 55% to 60% of passing plays.  It's what they do well and it's what they need to do in most situations to win. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, almost every game this year where they tried to run the ball, they've had pretty good success. How many times have most fans wondered why they stopped running the ball. Pretty much every loss! This year forcing teams to honor the Pats running game has opened up the passing game. It hasn't worked the other way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, almost every game this year where they tried to run the ball, they've had pretty good success. How many times have most fans wondered why they stopped running the ball. Pretty much every loss! This year forcing teams to honor the Pats running game has opened up the passing game. It hasn't worked the other way.

[/QUOTE]

No.  First, they don't "stop" running the ball too often.  And when they do it's usually because it isn't working well and/or they are behind and/or they don't have much time left to come back. If just running more were what they needed to do, Belichick would have figured it out.  

I can post more plays if need be.  Which loss do you want to look at more closely?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think what people are really forgetting is that we has a good running game inside the 20 yd lines for all three SB wins.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  2007 destroyed some of our fans' memories.

[/QUOTE]

...   the realization that football games are not all blowouts.  As a result, a close win by the Pats is met with complaints about why the team didn't score more points etc... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Do not see a reason why not.  Besides, one area of concern is how inconsistent the O-line is when it comes to run blocking and the fact McD seems to try to be "cute" when calling plays.  The Pats would one game be running at will, then out of nowhere stop and go with a series in which there are all passes.  When it works, we are all smiles and don't even say a word about the fact that TD drive was all passes.  But, when it doesn't, we then question the play calling. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Inonse to prolate0spheroid's comment:

To show what I mean, look at how aggressdidn't  the Browns attack the LOS on this run:

Now look at how soft the Ravens play

The Browns seemed much less concerned with the Pats' playaction. In fact, three of their four sacks of Brady came in play action, which kin proves that play action isn't necessarily the panacea some fans seem to think. 

Or maybe it had a lot to do with throwing the ball 52 times and running it 16 times with rid and blount despite their 4.4 and 5.3 ypc average. Kind of hard to sell play action if the other team sees a pattern. Now, the browns were only up 6 points at the half. I like mcdaniels, but maybe the opening drivess dictated how succesful or lack there of play action would be.

1st pats drive

pass incomplete

pass incomplete

pass short 5 yards

punt.

2nd pats drive

blount up middle for 6

blount up middle for 11

pass deep incomplete

pass short incomplete

pass deep......interception.

no wonder they didnt fall for play action....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice observation on Blount and when I watched him in college he kind of reminded me of a linebacker that came out a few years ago...Burfict. I know it sounds funny to compare a running back to a linebacker, but they both remind me of each other...both were physcial, both were hot heads, both were controversial, they're kind of similar in size, they both kind of play standing up straight....and they both are doing well despite falling right out of the draft due to off/on field problems.

I read in espn the magazine that Belichick asked Burfict if he was a punk (or thug) in a hotel room during combine interviews. He was all offended. Made me laugh.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"That's the thing - people think you just have to commit to running the ball and everything will be just fine - not true!! You have to run it WELL for it to be effective, if not your game/season will be over. If you can't run it well a defense will not commit to extra defenders in the box....the safety won't bite...especially if they are well coached."

So true mthurl yet completely overlooked by the fanboy basher masses.  Your play calling is Directly Proportional to what the defense is giving you, as well as, the Score and Time left on the clock.  And that’s Offensive Football broken down to its simplest form.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

McDaniels will never allow it....He has to make playoff games the Brady show - so expect playoff passes on running downs, 3rd and 1 etc

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Hey guys!

I'm glad everyone is jacked up but I feel like I need to remind everyone we are a long way from a SB. I am only concerned about beating Buffalo right now so we can get a bye. Beyond that, nothing matters. Sure, I would like to see some offensive consistency in the Buf game and that would mean something because Buf currently has the 8th ranked Defense in the league. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

"That's the thing - people think you just have to commit to running the ball and everything will be just fine - not true!! You have to run it WELL for it to be effective, if not your game/season will be over. If you can't run it well a defense will not commit to extra defenders in the box....the safety won't bite...especially if they are well coached."

So true mthurl yet completely overlooked by the fanboy basher masses.  Your play calling is Directly Proportional to what the defense is giving you, as well as, the Score and Time left on the clock.  And that’s Offensive Football broken down to its simplest form.

[/QUOTE]

Were they "running the ball well" when the RBs had 44 yards on 12 carries in the first quarter?  I would hardly say 3.6 YPC is lighting up the stat sheet.  They kept at it and wore down the defense as the game went on because they stuck to the run. 

No doubt the play calling is proportional to what the defense gives you; however, you have to keep the defense honest by committing to a multidimensional offense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey guys!

I'm glad everyone is jacked up but I feel like I need to remind everyone we are a long way from a SB. I am only concerned about beating Buffalo right now so we can get a bye. Beyond that, nothing matters. Sure, I would like to see some offensive consistency in the Buf game and that would mean something because Buf currently has the 8th ranked Defense in the league. 

[/QUOTE]

No doubt.  The game on Sunday will not be easy.  Although the Pats have a great record against the Bills, they have played us tough over the past few years.  They have a good defense that will certainly challenge our offense.  Hopefully they can keep it rolling and secure that first round bye.

Oh, and go RAIDAAAASSSSS

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Balance on offense and some opportunistic defense is what could lead them to new jersey. They have the personel to do it, albeit a bit more difficult without gronk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

They'll need balance. Know when to run and when to pass. Hopefully TB will audible all JMcDs stupid calls

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Were they "running the ball well" when the RBs had 44 yards on 12 carries in the first quarter?  I would hardly say 3.6 YPC is lighting up the stat sheet.  They kept at it and wore down the defense as the game went on because they stuck to the run. 

No doubt the play calling is proportional to what the defense gives you; however, you have to keep the defense honest by committing to a multidimensional offense.

[/QUOTE]

Yes Mob but, Like I said, score and time left on the clock are just as important.  We were up 17 in Qtr-1 so Running was a luxury we could afford.  In fact with a hobbled Flacco at the helm for the Ravens we still would have won that game if we didn't attempt another pass after the first Qtr.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

I

[/QUOTE]

Or maybe it had a lot to do with throwing the ball 52 times and running it 16 times with rid and blount despite their 4.4 and 5.3 ypc average. Kind of hard to sell play action if the other team sees a pattern. Now, the browns were only up 6 points at the half. I like mcdaniels, but maybe the opening drivess dictated how succesful or lack there of play action would be.

1st pats drive

pass incomplete

pass incomplete

pass short 5 yards

punt.

2nd pats drive

blount up middle for 6

blount up middle for 11

pass deep incomplete

pass short incomplete

pass deep......interception.

no wonder they didnt fall for play action....

[/QUOTE]

Or maybe Cinncinnati's defensive front was playing more aggressively than the Ravens'?  I mean I show you an example of the very different way the two teams were playing against similar plays in similar formations and yet you just go back to your usual tactic of repeating pass-run ratios as if play calling was merely about getting the ratios right. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes Mob but, Like I said, score and time left on the clock are just as important.  We were up 17 in Qtr-1 so Running was a luxury we could afford.  In fact with a hobbled Flacco at the helm for the Ravens we still would have won that game if we didn't attempt another pass after the first Qtr.

[/QUOTE]

nailed it Tcal

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey guys!

[/QUOTE]

Buffalo? Patriots have beat many of the top defense already this season, most on the road. A couple games we lsot due ot the refs. Buffalo will be a tune up and a win before bye week

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Tomorrow will be intresting, Bills are ranked 23 against the run, and 5th against the Pass. If I was a O-Coordinator, I'm running, to set up the Pass. I'm not playing to somebody's strength. But i'll set you up.

You know why Bill Walsh was a genius, he used the whole field. Hardest thing to Defense. You dont need 1 or 2 great Football Players on the Offense, you need everybody contributing, at their moments.
    Something that always stuck with me was the 01 SB, when Redmond faught to get out of bounds. Moments.

Liked everyones comments.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tomorrow will be intresting, Bills are ranked 23 against the run, and 5th against the Pass. If I was a O-Coordinator, I'm running, to set up the Pass. I'm not playing to somebody's strength. But i'll set you up.

[/QUOTE]

+1. Like to see them roll up 300 yards on the ground

Sections
Shortcuts