can the Pats power run all the way to a championship

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: can the Pats power run all the way to a championship

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

We complain about the offense, because we watch it score 35 ppg  year in and year out only to score 14, 13, 21, 17, and 13 again, in its last 5 playoff losses. For the mathematicians that is 15.6 points per game we have scored in our pkay off losses since 2007.

I know putting things this blountly will draw the usual rebuttal from murtl and prolate that I must think BB is am idiot, or they might try amd lump me in with rustys insane and ignorant theory that everything is Bradys fault. However, I will be right here saying what ive been saying until last year, our offense was too one dimensional to be productive against good defenses on the biggest stage.

135 passes to 55 rushes in 3 straight losses( 2 super bowl losses) to the ny giants and we lead more then half of those games. We scored 14, 20, and 17 points which is 16 points per game. I don't care who's fault that problem is, I am just smart enough to know it is indeed a problem.

Running helps our offense. It doesn't hurt it. 

Yeah, we all know the Pats offense didn't perform well in the playoffs.  But was not running the real reason?  You only have one test case for that--last year--when they ran 21 times in the first half and still only scored 13 points in the game.  If running more in the playoffs was the answer, why didn't it work last year when we actually did it?

Again, you are looking simplistically at pass-run numbers and assuming that if you changed that mix, the results would be better.  It's just as possible they would have been even worse. 

I do agree that the offense has been somewhat one-dimensional.  I just don't agree that running more fixes the scoring problem.  Sure it creates more variety in plays, but those plays only improve the offense if they are effective.  Last year we saw what happens with more variety and no more effectiveness.  A dismal offensive performance.  Variety is nice when it is effective. It isn't worth a hill of beans if it is ineffective. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

We complain about the offense, because we watch it score 35 ppg  year in and year out only to score 14, 13, 21, 17, and 13 again, in its last 5 playoff losses. For the mathematicians that is 15.6 points per game we have scored in our pkay off losses since 2007.

I know putting things this blountly will draw the usual rebuttal from murtl and prolate that I must think BB is am idiot, or they might try amd lump me in with rustys insane and ignorant theory that everything is Bradys fault. However, I will be right here saying what ive been saying until last year, our offense was too one dimensional to be productive against good defenses on the biggest stage.

135 passes to 55 rushes in 3 straight losses( 2 super bowl losses) to the ny giants and we lead more then half of those games. We scored 14, 20, and 17 points which is 16 points per game. I don't care who's fault that problem is, I am just smart enough to know it is indeed a problem.

Yeah, we all know the Pats offense didn't perform well in the playoffs.  But was not running the real reason?  You only have one test case for that--last year--when they ran 21 times in the first half and still only scored 13 points in the game.  If running more in the playoffs was the answer, why didn't it work last year when we actually did it?

Again, you are looking simplistically at pass-run numbers and assuming that if you changed that mix, the results would be better.  It's just as possible they would have been even worse. 

I do agree that the offense has been somewhat one-dimensional.  I just don't agree that running more fixes the scoring problem.  Sure it creates more variety in plays, but those plays only improve the offense if they are effective.  Last year we saw what happens with more variety and no more effectiveness.  A dismal offensive performance.  Variety is nice when it is effective. It isn't worth a hill of beans if it is ineffective. 

you are right that you cant just run it every play and expect to be successful. The pats do have the pass to set up the run and vice versa which is why it should work. You are also right that last year it didn't work. It didn't help that Ridley got knocked out and they had no real running threat after that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:

we saw the power/heavy run game on display against the Ravens. With the revamped Oline and Blount, Ridley, Boldins, Devlin and Vereen running like the second coming of Clock Killin Dillon, can they go all the way or was that just a mirage.

The Pats did indeed pound the ball more, but with a zone blocking scheme. The Pats made the adjustment to fit the smaller Oline they're fielding because of injuries. I'm not sure it will against every team but I believe NE has the right stable of RBs and FBs to adapt accordingly. 

I do remember the SB wins with Brady under center. I couldn't agree more. I love TB with play action. Dillon was a monster!  A. Smith before him, though not as effective as Dillon kept teams honest. I think TE Michael Yuma KnowwhoImean he (I can't spell it so I had some fun, sorry) could have an impact on the run game as well. Hopefully the Pats can stay healthy and get a few calls to go their way. It should be an entertaining postseason to say the least. I'm ready for playoffs. I reside in NC for work and would love to get another crack at Cam Newton in the SB. They've won games, but have no class. They need some famous humble pie! Go Pats! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

GREAT post. The loss of Gronk hurts this team, but they still have a shot if they are balanced offensively and make key stops on defense. With the emergence of Blount, the talent and hard running of Ridley, and the versatile Vereen , they have the personnel to keep defenses honest.

We can only surmize how the team would have fared if Gronk was at full strength in SB46 and in last year's AFCCG.  Them's the breaks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

I like what I see, hope Mankins is ok

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I think we have our answer...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Guys they beat Buffalo. If they can jump out to a lead they can win running the ball. If they fall behind they are in deep doo doo with their receivers who are very bad other than Edleman and Vereen on occasion. They have the worst tight ends in the NFL right now and the defense was saved today by a bunch of dropped passes. They will not come back against Denver again without Gronk. They need to get the lead and cut down posessions. Their only chance is running the ball good and playing good defense. Anything else and they are done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Definitely.  Next stop Lombardi

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:

Definitely.  Next stop Lombardi

Hey Mighty Dope....what do you think about this young man...

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/12/abington_to_turn_out_tuesday_for_fallen_marine

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

We complain about the offense, because we watch it score 35 ppg  year in and year out only to score 14, 13, 21, 17, and 13 again, in its last 5 playoff losses. For the mathematicians that is 15.6 points per game we have scored in our playoff losses since 2007.

I know putting things this blountly will draw the usual rebuttal from murtl and prolate that I must think BB is am idiot, or they might try and lump me in with rustys insane and ignorant theory that everything is Bradys fault. However, I will be right here saying what ive been saying until last year, our offense was too one dimensional to be productive against good defenses on the biggest stage.

i agree completely.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

Guys they beat Buffalo. If they can jump out to a lead they can win running the ball. If they fall behind they are in deep doo doo with their receivers who are very bad other than Edleman and Vereen on occasion. They have the worst tight ends in the NFL right now and the defense was saved today by a bunch of dropped passes. They will not come back against Denver again without Gronk. They need to get the lead and cut down posessions. Their only chance is running the ball good and playing good defense. Anything else and they are done.

Good post.  While it's great to see the good running game, a lame passing attack isn't any better than a terrible running game. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Good post.  While it's great to see the good running game, a lame passing attack isn't any better than a terrible running game. 

And yet the Pats win when they run the ball and don't go all pass happy in the second halves of games.

Funny how that works!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

And yet the Pats win when they run the ball and don't go all pass happy in the second halves of games.

Funny how that works!

Actually, they win most of the time, regardless of what they do. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

We complain about the offense, because we watch it score 35 ppg  year in and year out only to score 14, 13, 21, 17, and 13 again, in its last 5 playoff losses. For the mathematicians that is 15.6 points per game we have scored in our playoff losses since 2007.

I know putting things this blountly will draw the usual rebuttal from murtl and prolate that I must think BB is am idiot, or they might try and lump me in with rustys insane and ignorant theory that everything is Bradys fault. However, I will be right here saying what ive been saying until last year, our offense was too one dimensional to be productive against good defenses on the biggest stage.

Well I think you're leaving out a big part about the scoring output in the playoffs...we face good defenses in them. And I don't think you're going to find one person on the thread that doesn't think it's a good idea to be balanced/run. I do think you'll find plenty of people that think we haven't been good enough to run and that's the reason why we are one dimensional.

If we are good enough to run all the way to a Championship, I and everyone on here is all for it, but if we are not you can bet one person will blame Brady. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

yes we can. It isn't all about Brady. Run + defense= SB winnners!

Of course the offense can still produce points even though Gronk is injured reserved.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Cincinati and Seattle are probably the only 2 teams headed to the playoffs with us that we couldn't run all day on.  But I am VERY impressed with the run game of late (that drive on Baltimore last week was something to behold as well), and thinks it opens up a lot of pass plays that Brady can take advantage of when he sees the opposing defense getting too comfortable. 

Sections
Shortcuts