Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here!

I just wanted to post this because I read these forums all the time. As a paramedic a sit at different posting around the county I work in, so I have a lot of phone surfing time.  I read and check this site way more than should but hey it like a personal addiction. Lately this message board has become splashed with the same types of threads constantly and my hope is if we can keep it contained in one big thread maybe some of the more interesting  new will start popping back up.

My goal is to start an interesting discussion from my POV that will be as civil as possible. Maybe I'M dreaming but I figure 99% of us are all adults most of us have been Pats fan for 20+ years.

There over 10 threads where this topic is raging on and I would like to see if we can find some areas where there is some agreement between us all. 

Now this is my personal view, disagree all you want.  

There is so much discourse is about who is to blame on the last superbowl.  I see a ton of half-truths going around with the people who want to put all the blame all on Brady and the offense.  I have been looking at quite a few superbowl play by plays off of Si/cnn.com. 

One thing I have to say is our defense did not show up in any meaningful way to help the team win the game. If I must I will bring up some examples but I could not find one game where the winning teams defense did not get one turnover or three and out the whole game.  Now I only looked  from 1985 forward so maybe someone can fine one some where.

The offense did not play the best game. Brady did make two big errors that could have made this game easier to win.  The offensive line at times was horrible, the WRS made some drops, and Brady was not as pin point accurate as he can be.

The question is did they deliver enough to win the game. my opinion is they were so/so but I have to give the edge to yes. Because at the end of the day Pats still lead for a good portion of the game and it did come down to one drive to beat them.

Looking at the defense in the same light they were so/so but they didn't do anything that gave the Pats a real chance to win. Even on none scoring drives they allowed the Giants to move the ball and eat up a ton of time. Then in the second half they couldn't make a play. 

Now did the the Offense help by the D-out by running down the clock?  No they didn't for various reasons. Play-calling and poor execution did that train in.

Although, I'm so tired of the excuse that it was because the D was tired.  I played football for from seven years old  throughout college and then in the army intramural leagues so I have some personnel experience. I wasn't all world skill or size wise but I loved the game.

From high-school on I  have only played defense and was in some battles.  Never once did I think we lost because my team was tired or the offense didn't score enough. That the offense didn't get us enough of a break off the field.  These guys train all year round to play. If they can't play at a high level throughout a football game they aren't Pros. 

Those that want to point out the O- didn't score much you realise our first superbowl the offense score one touchdown and two field goals. The D got three turn overs, one being a pick six.

Maybe its because I played mostly defense i'm biased but our goal was to stop the other team and get the ball back.  If the D can't show up for a few drives to make some big plays when the team needs it, I believe most teams are going to lose.

My biggest grip was the play calling. I think the safety was a direct result of OB getting too cute early in the game.  Those that want to totally blame Brady, where was he going to throw that ball and not risk giving up six?   Now the interception was a broken play and is all on Brady for getting too risky, but if the same situation wouldn't you want most QB's to try and get it out there?

So without drawing this out more the team failed... I if I had to put one area that has the biggest blame it would have to be the coaching on both side of the ball. I don't think the Pats were risky enough on defense to force the giants into errors... Those of you that played.... didn't you at least on one third and long a game do an all out blitz to give the QB no time to throw? I don't remember it even looking like the Pats were trying to be sellout aggressive at any point. 

The offensive play calling needed an overhaul be it the personnel on the field or just a horrible coordinator but something had to give. I think most of us could see what is going to happen  almost every play....so can the other team.  Now really good teams can punch you in the mouth even when you know it coming.  The pats have that in the passing game but not in the running game. The is were better coaching was needed the most. They didn't do much at all to catch the other team off guard.

So in the end after all my blabbing I think the Pats lost as a team but the biggest failure has to be at the hands of the coaching staff that really didn't do those extra things to put the team in position to win outside of our skill areas.

I'm sorry for grammatical error and spelling error I'm actaul tied from typing this with my thumbs on the phone. Oh and I don't hate or dislike anyone on this board who is a Pats fan. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

Re: Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here!

Interesting and very objective! I agree withpretty much everything you wrote. Much as I love this team, the SB seemed too vanilla, no great big splash on either side of the ball which was diappointing. I hope this year BB and the coaching staff have some twists and turns to make this less predictable than last year, there is tons of talent on this team just needing to be uncorked and let loose! Looking forward to a great season of Patriots football,  let's get this started!!!KMc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

I hope I didn't come across has hating BB. I love him as the Pats coach but for one game I really think his staff got out coached  in the SB and they played too safe and vanilla.

Oh and I'm glad you could understand the post. I usually never type such a long post from my phone.... mainly because it is way too hard to go back and edit. Going back and reading it I cringe at all the errors maybe when I'm home in 17 hours I'll edit it from my P.C. but it will mostly likely be pointless then.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I, too, prefer civil discussions as a matter of course.  Regrettably, they are all too rare in this forum.

I read (twice) your post and can't really find much with which to disagree.  I, too, think BB is one of the great coaches in the game and can't think of anyone who I would rather have coaching the Pats.  That said, the offensive game plan did seem to lack, oh I don't know, pizazz, I guess?  On D, the Pats had their chances for some turnovers but the ball didn't seem to bounce their way.  The Nink off-side late in the game was a killer. Overall, the defensive game plan, for a BB-coached team, didn't seem to have anything new.

There is a school of thought, and I'm inclined to lean in this direction, that the Pats didn't so much lose the game, the Giants won it.  Manning made a great (not good, great) sideline throw to Manningham who made a textbook in bounds catch.  On the other hand, Brady's throw to Welker wasn't perfect and Welker didn't make a catch that he was capable of making.  Does it all boil down to one or two plays?  In a game that tight, yes it does.

My thoughts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In Response to Re: Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here!:
    I, too, prefer civil discussions as a matter of course.  Regrettably, they are all too rare in this forum. I read (twice) your post and can't really find much with which to disagree.  I, too, think BB is one of the great coaches in the game and can't think of anyone who I would rather have coaching the Pats.  That said, the offensive game plan did seem to lack, oh I don't know, pizazz, I guess?  On D, the Pats had their chances for some turnovers but the ball didn't seem to bounce their way.  The Nink off-side late in the game was a killer. Overall, the defensive game plan, for a BB-coached team, didn't seem to have anything new. There is a school of thought, and I'm inclined to lean in this direction, that the Pats didn't so much lose the game, the Giants won it.  Manning made a great (not good, great) sideline throw to Manningham who made a textbook in bounds catch.  On the other hand, Brady's throw to Welker wasn't perfect and Welker didn't make a catch that he was capable of making.  Does it all boil down to one or two plays?  In a game that tight, yes it does. My thoughts.
    Posted by ATJ

I totally agree! Football is that way thought.

I've had plays in my life where I could have been the hero or goat. Honestly one of the best and worst plays of my life I was getting beat down the sideline because I bit on a cut fake.  When I saw him looking back I just put up my arms in despiration and slightly turned to see the ball. Luck was with me because the ball hung in the air and was under thrown and I got an interception.

My team was happy and no one really noticed that I messed up but I knew and them my Dad after the game asked me if the guy had me and I was honest and told him he did.

That one play won my team the game and it was just luck that the QB missed by two feet maybe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

This is fair, csylvia . . . it's a team game and there were lots of reasons why we lost the game.  It doesn't all reduce to one thing.  I think the defense was a liability all season because it couldn't reliably make stops and was prone to giving up big plays at inopportune times.  This held in the Super Bowl.  The offense also lacks diversity (whether because of play calling or talent . . . or both), the O-line didn't execute well (both Mankins and Vollmer were less than 100% as well), and an offense that already lacks diverse receivers had one of its key guys (Gronk) hurt badly enough to be ineffective.  Brady also made one truly dumb play (the heave to Gronk) and was mixed in his effectiveness.  YOu also have to give the Giants a lot of credit for what they did on both offense and defense. 

Ultimately, in my opinion, the Pats were not really a championship team last year.  Midseason, I seriously questioned whether they'd make the playoffs, and once they made them, I was surprised they went as far as they did.  When Gronk got hurt against the Ravens, I thought the season was over because the offense was so anemic without him and the defense so unreliable.  As a season ticket holder, I was at that Ravens game and really thought they were going to lose it in the fourth quarter (they should have lost it--they just got lucky with the missed field goal).  

My opinion is the Super Bowl last year was pure gravy . . . and rather than complaining about it, we should all just sit in amazement that BB was able to get this flawed team so far.  That's my opinion. 

Over the offseason, we've seen notable improvements in both offensive and defensive talent.  Combine those personnel improvements with BB's brilliant coaching and I think this year we may really have a championship team (at least I'm hoping).  But last year . . . no . . . that team wasn't that great and the fact that it almost won the Lombardi is really a testament to the coaches. 

Maybe that's where I disagree a bit  . . . I don't think the coaches lost the Super Bowl.  I think the players did.  Maybe the game could have been called a bit better, but honestly, I think the real problem was the lack of a truly dominant defense and an offense that was not diverse to begin with and was greatly crippled by O-line injuries and, especially, Gronk's injured ankle. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I really try to keep things civil. I think most do other then Babe and Rusty, and a few trolls who only try and illicit reactions.

I agree with your post. I don't blame Brady in the slightest and I think BB has his hands full rebuilding a defense that lost its core 4 years ago, and has battled quite a few under achievers and injuries in the secondary.

I blame lazy offensive play calling that relies too much on Tom Brady and his amazing ability, and not enough on keeping the opposing defense's off balance.

I don't think that is an absurd notion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In Response to Re: Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here!:
    This is fair, csylvia . . . it's a team game and there were lots of reasons why we lost the game.  It doesn't all reduce to one thing.  I think the defense was a liability all season because it couldn't reliably make stops and was prone to giving up big plays at inopportune times.  This held in the Super Bowl.  The offense also lacks diversity (whether because of play calling or talent . . . or both), the O-line didn't execute well (both Mankins and Vollmer were less than 100% as well), and an offense that already lacks diverse receivers had one of its key guys (Gronk) hurt badly enough to be ineffective.  Brady also made one truly dumb play (the heave to Gronk) and was mixed in his effectiveness.  YOu also have to give the Giants a lot of credit for what they did on both offense and defense.  Ultimately, in my opinion, the Pats were not really a championship team last year.  Midseason, I seriously questioned whether they'd make the playoffs, and once they made them, I was surprised they went as far as they did.  When Gronk got hurt against the Ravens, I thought the season was over because the offense was so anemic without him and the defense so unreliable.  As a season ticket holder, I was at that Ravens game and really thought they were going to lose it in the fourth quarter (they should have lost it--they just got lucky with the missed field goal).   My opinion is the Super Bowl last year was pure gravy . . . and rather than complaining about it, we should all just sit in amazement that BB was able to get this flawed team so far.  That's my opinion.  Over the offseason, we've seen notable improvements in both offensive and defensive talent.  Combine those personnel improvements with BB's brilliant coaching and I think this year we may really have a championship team (at least I'm hoping).  But last year . . . no . . . that team wasn't that great and the fact that it almost won the Lombardi is really a testament to the coaches.  Maybe that's where I disagree a bit  . . . I don't think the coaches lost the Super Bowl.  I think the players did.  Maybe the game could have been called a bit better, but honestly, I think the real problem was the lack of a truly dominant defense and an offense that was not diverse to begin with and was greatly crippled by O-line injuries and, especially, Gronk's injured ankle. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

That fair, And you are right in that ultimately the players have to make the plays.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

You have a problem when Rusty aka Leon hijacks a thread for the soul purpose of S***ing on Brady?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

I really try to keep things civil. I think most do other then Babe and Rusty, and a few trolls who only try and illicit reactions. I agree with your post. I don't blame Brady in the slightest and I think BB has his hands full rebuilding a defense that lost its core 4 years ago, and has battled quite a few under achievers and injuries in the secondary. I blame lazy offensive play calling that relies too much on Tom Brady and his amazing ability, and not enough on keeping the opposing defense's off balance. I don't think that is an absurd notion.
    Posted by TrueChamp

That is about where I am... I think the OC really used Tom's ability as a crutch. We ran just to run at times but nothing out of the ordinary. I do miss CW play calling. I don't for a second think we would have dropped back for a pass into our inzone on the first play of the game with him.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

You have a problem when Rusty aka Leon hijacks a thread for the soul purpose of S***ing on Brady?
    Posted by tcal2-

Rusty isn't Leon. He was around when Leon was Leon. If you want to search for Leon go no further than JetMangione. He always used several names at a time and at least one of them was always a Pats fan. He also always picks one poster who's a Pats fan and always backs them ( Babe ). You guys that have been around here for ten years ought ot be able to pick him out just by the way he writes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In Response to Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here! : So you whine about the false accusation that 'some people' are placing the blame soley on Brady ( which they aren't ) then you procede to trash the defense with the stupid comment that they didn't 'get' any turnovers like everyone else. You do realize that one of Brady's best stats of the last few years was his lack of turnovers? So I guess all of our opponents defenses were terrible because they didn't 'get' turnovers. You guys want it both ways with the same stat.
    Posted by glenr

So your saying no team intercepted Brady ever or held the O to a three and out or got a fumbles from the Pats interesting.... I really hope i don't get a 911 call anytime soon the board is too interesting right now

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Anyone else having trouble ignoring Babe?  I click ignore, then on the next page all his posts are visible again.  Doesn't happen with any other poster.  He must be a boston.com sponsored hit generating employee.  
    Posted by Mighty2013

I've had a sneaking suspicion he's a mod. He certainly has a blind love for everything Brady.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In Response to Re: Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here! : So your saying no team intercepted Brady ever or held the O to a three and out or got a fumbles from the Pats interesting.... I really hope i don't get a 911 call anytime soon the board is too interesting right now
    Posted by csylvia79

I in my opinion i would say any Defense who does not get a few 3 and outs, or turnovers in a game is failing on defense.  When a defense can not do this I'm willing to bet that team loses more than not.

You can believe what you want but offense and defense have separate goals and are rated separately. I'm saying the O was great But they have to do more than not turn over the ball to be fair.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here! : I've had a sneaking suspicion he's a mod. He certainly has a blind love for everything Brady.
    Posted by glenr

Yeah, almost creepy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

This is fair, csylvia . . . it's a team game and there were lots of reasons why we lost the game.  It doesn't all reduce to one thing.  I think the defense was a liability all season because it couldn't reliably make stops and was prone to giving up big plays at inopportune times.  This held in the Super Bowl.  The offense also lacks diversity (whether because of play calling or talent . . . or both), the O-line didn't execute well (both Mankins and Vollmer were less than 100% as well), and an offense that already lacks diverse receivers had one of its key guys (Gronk) hurt badly enough to be ineffective.  Brady also made one truly dumb play (the heave to Gronk) and was mixed in his effectiveness.  YOu also have to give the Giants a lot of credit for what they did on both offense and defense.  Ultimately, in my opinion, the Pats were not really a championship team last year.  Midseason, I seriously questioned whether they'd make the playoffs, and once they made them, I was surprised they went as far as they did.  When Gronk got hurt against the Ravens, I thought the season was over because the offense was so anemic without him and the defense so unreliable.  As a season ticket holder, I was at that Ravens game and really thought they were going to lose it in the fourth quarter (they should have lost it--they just got lucky with the missed field goal).   My opinion is the Super Bowl last year was pure gravy . . . and rather than complaining about it, we should all just sit in amazement that BB was able to get this flawed team so far.  That's my opinion.  Over the offseason, we've seen notable improvements in both offensive and defensive talent.  Combine those personnel improvements with BB's brilliant coaching and I think this year we may really have a championship team (at least I'm hoping).  But last year . . . no . . . that team wasn't that great and the fact that it almost won the Lombardi is really a testament to the coaches.  Maybe that's where I disagree a bit  . . . I don't think the coaches lost the Super Bowl.  I think the players did.  Maybe the game could have been called a bit better, but honestly, I think the real problem was the lack of a truly dominant defense and an offense that was not diverse to begin with and was greatly crippled by O-line injuries and, especially, Gronk's injured ankle. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

I'm with you as far as being surprised by that team even making it to the Superbowl.   
    The team, especially the defense was clearly flawed wether it was lack of talent, injuries, inexperience or both.  BB did a tremendous job.
    With Gronk injured they didn't have enough playmakers on offense there were too many mistakes such as dropped passes, the int and the safety to start things off.  I also agree that the safety was caused by poor play calling on the part of Bill O'brien.
    One other thing, how many times do you see a team cause three fumbles and not be able to come away with any?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

I really try to keep things civil. I think most do other then Babe and Rusty, and a few trolls who only try and illicit reactions. I agree with your post. I don't blame Brady in the slightest and I think BB has his hands full rebuilding a defense that lost its core 4 years ago, and has battled quite a few under achievers and injuries in the secondary. I blame lazy offensive play calling that relies too much on Tom Brady and his amazing ability, and not enough on keeping the opposing defense's off balance. I don't think that is an absurd notion.
    Posted by TrueChamp

You don't blame Brady for the safety? I've shared the blame all around but still get trashed as a Brady basher. As for the offensive play calling...I doled out some there too along with the obvious to a 2 year old 'we're going to pass' or 'we're going to run' formations. I was met with a rant about how I think I'm better than BB --blah blah blah.

I WANT MY PLAY ACTION BACK!!!!!!

I am civil with everyone but two people and with them I only give what I get.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In Response to Re: Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here! : I'm with you as far as being surprised by that team even making it to the Superbowl.    The team, especially the defense was clearly flawed wether it was lack of talent, injuries, inexperience or both.  BB did a tremendous job. With Gronk injured they didn't have enough playmakers on offense there were too many mistakes such as dropped passes, the int and the safety to start things off.  I also agree that the safety was caused by poor play calling on the part of Bill O'brien. One other thing, how many times do you see a team cause three fumbles and not be able to come away with any?
    Posted by Salcon

Not often, Lady luck was with the Giants both times they won the superbowl. Hell just to get in the playoffs they needed teams to lose.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to "Re: Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here!":
    In Response to Re: Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here! : That is about where I am... I think the OC really used Tom's ability as a crutch. We ran just to run at times but nothing out of the ordinary. I do miss CW play calling. I don't for a second think we would have dropped back for a pass into our inzone on the first play of the game with him. Posted by csylvia79
    How would we know the difference between using Brady as a crutch and riding your best player to victories? I guess I think it's smarter to use a hall of fame talent like Brady as a crutch than to lean on a mediocre running back like BJGE. If the coaches didn't rely on the passing game so much would they have won relying heavily on the Benny and Danny show? I think if we did that we would have had an offense like KC's. They ran a lot with meidiocre backs and, unsurprisingly, had mediocre results.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I think there was too many offensive minds coming together and BB said keep it simple, OB was never liked (by the fans and I know he wasnt Bradys favorite OC) OB always always had vanilla play calling. Our defense had its chances and let it slip, we had costly penalties at the wrong time also. I think you're right in your overall assessment and BB may have just over thought it. We hobbled into the SB and Giants dominated teams coming in. Just like the almost perfect season, this SB was another one full of small mistakes that led to us losing the game, personally I don't think the Giants beat us, we just didn't use our chances to beat them. As stupid as that sounds.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In Response to Re: Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here! : So your saying no team intercepted Brady ever or held the O to a three and out or got a fumbles from the Pats interesting.... I really hope i don't get a 911 call anytime soon the board is too interesting right now
    Posted by csylvia79

You're response is Babe-ish. Twist my words and add stuff I never said.

Is this your version of civil? That isn't at all what I said. In fact I didn't even bring up 3 and out.

I said one of Brady's best stats was his ability not to give up turnovers. And he gave up 2 at the worst possible time. Is that so hard to understand?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to "Re: Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here!":
    In Response to Re: Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here! : You don't blame Brady for the safety? I've shared the blame all around but still get trashed as a Brady basher. As for the offensive play calling...I doled out some there too along with the obvious to a 2 year old 'we're going to pass' or 'we're going to run' formations. I was met with a rant about how I think I'm better than BB --blah blah blah. I WANT MY PLAY ACTION BACK!!!!!! I am civil with everyone but two people and with them I only give what I get. Posted by glenr
    The irony is that the safety occurred on a play action pass!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

I think there was too many offensive minds coming together and BB said keep it simple, OB was never liked (by the fans and I know he wasnt Bradys favorite OC) OB always always had vanilla play calling. Our defense had its chances and let it slip, we had costly penalties at the wrong time also. I think you're right in your overall assessment and BB may have just over thought it. We hobbled into the SB and Giants dominated teams coming in. Just like the almost perfect season, this SB was another one full of small mistakes that led to us losing the game, personally I don't think the Giabnts beat us, we just didn't beat them. As stupid as that sounds.
    Posted by freediro

It doesn't sound stupid at all. As for OB's vanilla play calling I can't agree. I like vanilla and there was nothing I like about his play calling or his formations.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In Response to Re: Can we have a civil debate to end all this bickering in ever thread here! : You're response is Babe-ish. Twist my words and add stuff I never said. Is this your version of civil? That isn't at all what I said. In fact I didn't even bring up 3 and out. I said one of Brady's best stats was his ability not to give up turnovers. And he gave up 2 at the worst possible time. Is that so hard to understand?
    Posted by glenr

When did I say he didn't do any of this... It lead to a direct 2 points and it made the game harder for the defense.

A good defense should be able to recover from it but that pats didn't have that.

Sections
Shortcuts