Can we relax with the defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Re: Can we relax with the defense?

Rusty, I can't quote and respond but, I said I can't relax with the defense on the field.  I did not say that they are effective in some ways, like good red zone defense and an opportunistic approach to take aways. 

That said, it is hard to watch other teams advance against us between the
    20's, it makes me nervous and that was my only point.  Okay, that said, I see this from many teams in the NFL now, bend don't break defense.  We do it better than most, I grant you but its not pretty to watch.  It would be easier on my heart if they could stop teams a bit more consistently.  However as I usual, I am content with a win.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

What this weekend convinced me of is that the AFC in particular is anyone's to take. The Pats have a good chance to take the AFC as does Pitt, Baltimore, Houston and 2 or 3 others. IF we play our A game and get off to good starts, the Pats can beat anyone in the AFC.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

Pats got run over on the ground ( 8.1 yds a carry) by all the Bronco runners..and gave up more yards per play than the Pats had on offense.
    However..they were a disruptive defense which turned the tide of the game  causing 4 fumbles and 4 sacks.
    Big plays always help win games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Pats' D stepped it up bigtime after the 1st yesterday.  After giving up 16 in the first, they gave up 7 in the second and 7 in the 4th.  That 4th quarter TD came in the wake of a 3rd and 16 from Tebow (out route to the right side) that got botched.

And for what it's worth, had Denver's O line been called for even half the holds they committed in the 1st, this game would have been a blowout.  Pats got away with a few, too, I know, including a missed facemask call that would've resulted in a first down instead of a punt.

I just think the whole defense thing is hugely misleading.  Only one other offense in the NFL is putting up total pt numbers like the Pats, and that team also struggles on D.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

I was really impressed with how they adjusted yesterday. Imho that attribute hasn't been there in the playoffs. Along with many of you , my biggest concern is the health of this defense and of course the team overall. Right now the NFL is wide open. A healthy pats team could do some serious damage.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I am not so concerned with the run yards. They attacked our fronts in a different way and usually B.B. can fix this in the game.

What worries me is when QB's get hot throwing the ball against us and we have no answers.

Our run "D" will be there in the playoffs I believe and we have always had problems with Denvers Dirty Lineman and cutblocking and what not.

I am worried about our special team safeties and the fact Chung hasnt returned yet.

I guess if we draw a wild card team that doesnt pass well we could buy more time for Chung, but it doesnt look good at the moment.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In Response to Re: Can we relax with the defense?:
    I was really impressed with how they adjusted yesterday. Imho that attribute hasn't been there in the playoffs. Along with many of you , my biggest concern is the health of this defense and of course the team overall. Right now the NFL is wide open. A healthy pats team could do some serious damage.
    Posted by 1guy1sharp

Yeah, all true.  Lots of teams in this league dial it in when down like that early. 
    I think that if the Pats beat Miami, a lot of pro talk is going to focus on the Pats' talents instead of their weakness.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Pats have Brady and 31st ranked D

Pack have Rodgers and 30th ranked D

Giants have Eli and 29th ranked D

There is something to be said for scoring a lot of points. It Allows the other team to do the same.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

It's amazing how much quicker the clock moves when no defense is played.  Interesting post, Shizzle. 

In some ways, it's kinda like the NL versus AL in baseball.  NL is traditionally pitching and defense, and the AL is built around more potent offense. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

Let's see how the defense holds up against a playoff team that will not fail against the bend-don't-break nonsense. One and done.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

Huge lost in Andre Carter.  He is a sack leader of the Pats defense.  Hopefylly, BB can find someones to fill in the hole.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

The D improved from the last 2 games. 

The Adjustment Bureau showed up in the 2nd quarter..

relapse in the 4th   but still played good enuff. 

Needs to lift it higher  in the playoffs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

It's kind of hard to relax when your defense gives up more yards than every other team in the league.  Yes they tend to play better in the red zone and have caused some turnovers, but those kinds of things are unpredictable so you never know how or when you are going to get a stop. It also means that teams consistently have success moving the ball even if they don't punch it in.  Even if the results are okay how anyone can relax with such a style of play is beyond me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The hidden part of this defense (do to the secondary woes) is our defensive line. Wilfork looks like he is worn down and he should be with all the minutes he has played over the last 3 years. Guys that weigh 380 pounds generally come out and are able to take some downs off, not this guy, do to the lack of talent.

Love to me is a guy that is getting handled, they get a hold of him and just turn him. Ellis hardly plays and when he does you don't even notice him out there. I hope Brace can add something now that he's back and Deadrick needs to be more consistent, because he's got the talent.

I do think a healthy Chung and Spikes would help against the run...pass? Not so much. Nincovich had that great sack, but man did he get man handled for much of that game. Fletcher is so new to the position that he looks like he doesn't know how to react half the time.

If we're going to win a game this post season we need to be at home, rested and the weather needs to be bad. I'll take my chances with Brady throwing in bad weather.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Wilfork is a warrior and our MVP. All we can hope is they rest him a bit against these scrub teams last 2 weeks, although Miami is still playing hard after Soprano was fired. (what gives)

I think we can survive a game w/out him. Let him rest up. He is gonna be needed at full strenght. I liked what i saw from Deaderick for the most part. I always thought Brace was ok, just injured alot. He made a great play forcing that fumble.

Warren is an O.G. , but still helps. Love is not spectacular but is solid for starting all year for the first time.

We gonna need them as they are the strenght of the team right now.

Anderson and Moore should help too.

Where is Lawyer Milloy. Thats my question. He played last year so not to far removed from the game. Would be much better than J.Idengho.

Would be a good chance for B.B. to make up for cutting him and let him be a part of something special again, one last time. I am being completely serious to.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Not yet. It was a good effort, after the 1st qtr ended, on a 1 dimensional offenseive team (anyone care to debate that?). Yet, Tebow was STILL able to find wide open receivers over the middle. A much better overall QB will kill 'em if they keep this up. They'll keep on exploiting it until and IF the Pats make 'em stop.  

Bend but don't break? Those turnovers were erros made by the Broke Backs... the muffed punt gift, Tebow's holding the ball like a loaf of bread while running the option (it was anything but "put away"), like we've never seen that before in college or the pros! Still, regarding turnovers, I'd rather be lucky and get them than good and not.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

I was throwing my hat in the first quarter, it was ugly. But you could see the adjustments taking place, and the momentum swing after the turnovers. I got to agree with the holds not being called in the first quarter. Blatant and obvious, allowing several of those big gains around the corners.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

What this weekend convinced me of is that the AFC in particular is anyone's to take. The Pats have a good chance to take the AFC as does Pitt, Baltimore, Houston and 2 or 3 others. IF we play our A game and get off to good starts, the Pats can beat anyone in the AFC.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Exactly! We have these dicussions every week about the Pats 32th ranked defense. We know what they are and I don't understand people expecting anything different this year.

However, we have a great offense and an above average special teams that when put together makes us a team that is as good as any.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

In Response to Re: Can we relax with the defense? : Exactly! We have these dicussions every week about the Pats 32th ranked defense. We know what they are and I don't understand people expecting anything different this year. However, we have a great offense and an above average special teams that when put together makes us a team that is as good as any.
    Posted by digger0862
    If we hold the other teams to 30 or less, then our chances are real good.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Re: Can we relax with the defense? : Exactly! We have these dicussions every week about the Pats 32th ranked defense. We know what they are and I don't understand people expecting anything different this year. However, we have a great offense and an above average special teams that when put together makes us a team that is as good as any.
    Posted by digger0862

So, there'll be no complaints about the D come playoff time if they get bounced out? No complaint if The Brady Bunch can't outscore the opposition? Will all be right in your world if Brady put up 35+ points, but the Bend But Don't Break D gives up 40+?

I can't wait for THAT to happen, because it's a prven fact that defense wins championships. (Sorry, but no excuses for injuries. When relatively healthy,  this bunch is DFL.) 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

If we hold the other teams to 30 or less, then our chances are real good.
    Posted by xBruzer77

In the playoffs, against the Ravens or Steelers, it may have to be better than that. In the super bowl, against the Packers or Saints, I would agree.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

So, there'll be no complaints about the D come playoff time if they get bounced out? No complaint if The Brady Bunch can't outscore the opposition? Will all be right in your world if Brady put up 35+ points, but the Bend But Don't Break D gives up 40+? I can't wait for THAT to happen, because it's a proven fact that defense wins championships. (Sorry, but no excuses for injuries. When relatively healthy,  this bunch is DFL.) 
    Posted by AZPAT

I'm sure you can't.

The defense is the weakness of this team and no one is saying they are good. Most years I would agree that the Pats with this D would get bounced out in the playoffs. This isn't most years.

Who do you like in the NFC? If you say the Packers or Saints, then you have to consider the Patriots in the AFC as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

As i read through some of these posts I don't recognize any of the whiners and crybabies that were complaning on the game thread about the defense early in the game.......wonder where they all went.

They looked pretty good from the 2Q on, except DMC did let us down on that 3rd and 18 play that Denver made a first down on . BB needs to let this guy go. I dooubt he's playing with an injury-he just looke horrible on that play. A safety had to bail him out.

Sections
Shortcuts