Can we relax with the defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Can we relax with the defense?

Several articles (go look for them yourself, I'm not doing your reading for you) state the change in defense was a simple shift of front, to the odd (3-4) alignment, having the D line play the bubbles and the linebackers play fill and keep containment.  They went in thinking the 4-3 even alignment would work, got it handed to them, and Matt Patricia switched the lineup and tweaked the assignments and off to the races they went.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

You want to be realistic? This D is pretty bad. We DO have some good players AND the players on the field are well coached - we get more out of what there is. But it is a very flawed D that can only survive if the O is really executing. THis is most especialy true against the better teams in the league.

You can make the case that this D might be good enough for the Pats to go deep into the playoffs - I hope they do and we shall see. But if it happens it will be because the O is very special.

One possible edge the D CAN give us is turnovers. There is no reason why they can't and they sometimes do. And that is no small thing. But this D is one of the weaker Ds in the league. They are simply well coached and opponents are pressed to score lots of points - lots of TDs, not just FGs.

Ratings wise this D would be akin to something as bad or worse than Rex Grossman and more akin to a Curtis Painter - ratings wise.

So if you want to be realistic, yes the Pats can win with this D. But not because of the D. Because of the nature of the league and the rules at this time. Even GB and NO have troubles on D - just not quite as marked as ours.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Re: Can we relax with the defense?:
    In Response to Re: Can we relax with the defense? : I'm sure you can't. The defense is the weakness of this team and no one is saying they are good. Most years I would agree that the Pats with this D would get bounced out in the playoffs. This isn't most years. Who do you like in the NFC? If you say the Packers or Saints, then you have to consider the Patriots in the AFC as well.
    Posted by digger0862

The defense is the weakness of this team and no one is saying they are good.

Huh? have you been paying attention to all those "Bend But Don't Breakers"? As long as Brady throws for 500 YPG and 6 TD's, all's well with the D!!!
    Check out the BETTER Patriot D's the past couple of playoff games. Sorry, but giving up 24 points to the Ravens int eh 1st quarter, despite a low scoring defensive stats, is NOT a good thing. Nor is losing to the JESTS! last season when they decided to show a prelude to this season by NOT covering WR's. Sorry,  but this bunch doedsn't scare the Main Street Cougars. You need to go into the playoffs with a complete team. Pinning your hopes on Brady playing out of is mind for 3 games (providing they get a bye) and winning the SB is unrealistic. After all, you credit no one for being able to stop him. I believe that either Pittsburg or the Ravens could take them. Pitt proved it earlier this year, and the Pats could easily make Flacko look All Pro again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

As i read through some of these posts I don't recognize any of the whiners and crybabies that were complaning on the game thread about the defense early in the game.......wonder where they all went. They looked pretty good from the 2Q on, except DMC did let us down on that 3rd and 18 play that Denver made a first down on . BB needs to let this guy go. I dooubt he's playing with an injury-he just looke horrible on that play. A safety had to bail him out.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Check out my 1st post on this thread. And I'm a big critic of what I'm seeing game in and game out. I then gave them credit as you point out, for the final 3 quarters, playing a one dimensional team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I'm not gonna hammer the defense much because of the injuries and because of the gutty way they uppped their game. However I do get concerned about living too much off forced turnovers only because in a playoff game you might not be able to force one and then....

The D is certainly good enough to win. The concern here is whether they are good enough to win a championship. I'm not sure but I like that they played with heart yesterday in a hostile environment. 

Why do I want a championship? Aren't three enough? Well, the answer is that we're now in legacy territory. I'd like to see Brady go down as the best of all time and I figure two more rings are needed to really close that debate. It would also be very satisyfing to rack up a post spygate championship or two. 

It's not a case of fans being spoiled, it's a case of rooting for a team's legacy. 

If we win it all this year, I continue to believe we'll have one game where the D will need to hold the other team to under 20 to win. That's the game I'm worried about. 

Having said that I like where we stand versus the rest of the AFC right now. Go niners!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Very good topic, Thank you.

Our brand is TB and BB. When you invest your time or money in the NE Patriots you are investing in the value of a Tom Brady offense. He is the image of the team. Think Pats and Tom's image pops up. Thats our brand.

In defense of our defense it is not what fills the seats, or wins the games. It keeps us in games until the offense kicks into high gear. 

We are not a balanced team.  Our defense plays almost three quarters of each game with a lead, so the opponents offense is always playing from behind, lots of long passes.  They are on the field when the other team trying to catch up as aopposed to ball control. 

Agreed, they off the defense back. We are winning games and thats what counts. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

In Response to Can we relax with the defense?:
    Yes, they give up a lot of yards. Yes, sometimes they sometimes struggle to get off the field. But I'm going to point some things out that back up the "bend but don't break" mentality. 21 TD's 18 INT's 87 passer rating (not great, but not horrible) 12 rushing TD's against them This defense doesn't give up as many points as people think. And frankly, with the amount of injuries that this team has faced, I'm almost impressed that they are doing alright. They're T-15th in points against (lots of those points coming in "garbage time" - I know, 60 minutes.....I know). Bottom line is that no coach could coach up that many back-ups and have them in top-form with the amount of injuries that they've had. They were bad to start the season, just like every defense was (remember how many QB's were carving up defenses early in the season?). This defense is good enough to win, and that's all that matters.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing

Agreed.  We get a lot of grief being 32, yet Packers are 31 and thought to have already won the SB.

However, I am worried about the loss of Andre.  Wilfork really brought it home with his statement today about Andre having spent years on losing teams and to have finally made it on a winning team, to be such a huge contributor, to be so close to the playoffs and go down the way he did, is tragic on many levels.

Let's hope the rest of the line steps up and dedicates the rest of the season to Andre. 

Let's hope Chung & Spike are back as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

I was throwing my hat in the first quarter, it was ugly. But you could see the adjustments taking place, and the momentum swing after the turnovers. I got to agree with the holds not being called in the first quarter. Blatant and obvious, allowing several of those big gains around the corners.
    Posted by xBruzer77

It wasn't just the 1st 1/4.  My mother, whose seen very few football games, wanted to know why they were allowed to grab jerseys of the guys not carrying the ball and why it was okay to hit guys in the back when they got by you. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

In Response to Re: Can we relax with the defense? : In the playoffs, against the Ravens or Steelers, it may have to be better than that. In the super bowl, against the Packers or Saints, I would agree.
    Posted by digger0862

Keep in mind the Packers D is 31st.  You just don't hear about it as much as you do about the Pats.  It's Rogers this, Rogers that.  It's like they've already won the Superbowl.

I'd rather face the Pack than the St.  Roger's numbers may be better on paper, but Drew's coming on and their D is a lot better than the Pack's or ours.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

Let's keep in mind the Colts beat a strong Bears' defense but weak offense with the Colts' strong offense & weak defense.

It can be done, it has been done.

If Tom can be the Tom of the regular season, not the Tom of the last two years' playoffs this D can win if Tom can keep them off the field and fresh. 

Sections
Shortcuts