Can't our secondary function well in 4th Q

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from canpatfan. Show canpatfan's posts

Can't our secondary function well in 4th Q

I know a few of the people who post on this forum have agreed that
    the Pat's secondary seems to lay back when they have a lead later in a game.
    It seems to be a pattern.  Granted, Sanders helped snuff out Manning's drive in the fourth quarter last Sunday - but what if he didn't?  The Steeler game was typical of how we seem to let the other team get back into a game.  Personally - it is abit troubling as we head to a probable AFC game.  I know the defensive secondary is young and at times show some great play-making ability.  But like the 07 super bowl - in which the secondary who could have won the game - cost us the game (Harrison/Samuel should have made those plays).  I see a similar outcome if we don't shore up this weakness.  I write this because many people seem to believe "this could be the year."  I hope they're right - but I am not so sure.      

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Can't our secondary function well in 4th Q

Anyone notice the offense looks bad in the 4th as does the D at times?

These are inclusive, in my opinion.

Look how they finished the Balt and Minny games.  Offense looked good, right?

Defense looked good, right?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

I do not have a problem with the soft zone,prevent defense per se.My problem is when you go into too early in the game which I truly felt the Pats did in the Steelers and Colts games.Even ordinary teams can put up points in hurry in this league when you call off your dogs and go vanilla on offense and defense plus,you are inviting your fans to get into panic mode and worry about having a heart attack in the fourth quarter.Please keep pounding away at your opponent until at least early in the fourth quarter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

In Response to Re: Can't our secondary function well in 4th Q:
    Seems Prophet is the only poster who read my post lol YES ITS CALLED THE PREVENT DEFENSE. BB does not care what fans think he just wants the W so if he wins by 3 great and if he wins by 30 great he does not care. So he stops disguising his D and goes into a prevent D and then teams light it up because we are playing back and not hiding what we are doing. That is the answer to your question.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

The prevent d is not the reason we couldn't convert 3rd downs in the colts game.  If you want to go prevent and burn clock while letting them score fine.  But you must be able to get a few first downs of your own.  After having a 17 point lead in the fourth quarter you simply cant let Manning and his cast of dishwasher smurfs have the ball on our 20 with a first down and 30 seconds left down by three.  I'd give even odd on Manning scoring and winning in that situation.  I don't think BB planned to play for even odds in the end.  It doesn't make sense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Can't our secondary function well in 4th Q : The prevent d is not the reason we couldn't convert 3rd downs in the colts game.  If you want to go prevent and burn clock while letting them score fine.  But you must be able to get a few first downs of your own.  After having a 17 point lead in the fourth quarter you simply cant let Manning and his cast of dishwasher smurfs have the ball on our 20 with a first down and 30 seconds left down by three.  I'd give even odd on Manning scoring and winning in that situation.  I don't think BB planned to play for even odds in the end.  It doesn't make sense.
    Posted by knightsailor

Are you sure it is not because of Brady's hair? Or that his contract is a distraction to the D?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Secondary S***** at the start of the season.  But there are two kinds of s**k; literally no good, or very young and developing (the later of the two is what the patriots have)  which I'll take any day of the week with the potential they have shown.  I feel the secondary has been much better the past couple weeks, with the exception of the 4th quarter.  But look at it this way, they just had consecutive wins vs the Steelers & the Colts, there 8-2 and only getting better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

The Secondary S***** at the start of the season.  But there are two kinds of s**k; literally no good, or very young and developing (the later of the two is what the patriots have)  which I'll take any day of the week with the potential they have shown.  I feel the secondary has been much better the past couple weeks, with the exception of the 4th quarter.  But look at it this way, they just had consecutive wins vs the Steelers & the Colts, there 8-2 and only getting better.
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Too bad more people do not see that

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Its simple man, when the Pats have the lead late in the game BB does not care if he wins by 17 or by 3 so he puts his defense in prevent D which means their D backs move back and sit on their zones giving up yards on underneath throws. This is why we give up so many yards late in games. This is way good teams like the Colts come back at the end. The D stops hiding its coverages and instead goes into prevent defense and does not disguise its scheme like it does in the 1st half. this is why we give up leads late cause BB does not care if we win by 3 or by 30.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Not a brilliant strategy against a guy like PM who will kill you underneath. A field goal ties that game up and the Colts have momentum in OT. I don't think that was BB's plan. I saw that worried look on his face late in that game.

Sections
Shortcuts