Can't Say I Am Surprised (ESPN)

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Can't Say I Am Surprised (ESPN)

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

Looks like many have gotten wise to ESPN's games the last few years, where they haven't been able to pay their bills well enough.

I feel sorry for the employees who are affected, even RKrap.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/21/espn-layoffs-sports-netwo_n_3313520.html

not surprised by your (lack of) sensitivity on the issue. it was expected from you. wish the announcement came out while I had you on one of my 5 days of ignore.

I brought 18 employees with me here, 3 of them will now be "contracted"...will work same jobs/hours, but as independat/3rd part hires, not employees

Healthcare costs/401k have all contributed to the reduction. Not sure where you are coming from on the "dont pay their bills" comment

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Looks like many have gotten wise to ESPN's games the last few years, where they haven't been able to pay their bills well enough.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/21/espn-layoffs-sports-netwo_n_3313520.html

not surprised by your (lack of) sensitivity on the issue. it was expected from you. wish the announcement came out while I had you on one of my 5 days of ignore.

I brought 18 employees with me here, 3 of them will now be "contracted"...will work same jobs/hours, but as independat/3rd part hires, not employees

Healthcare costs/401k have all contributed to the reduction. Not sure where you are coming from on the "dont pay their bills" comment

Dude, you're being lied to.  I work as a contractor right now because I do consulting work at the moment, so anyone can go out and pay for health insurance independently on their own.

Corporations are offering crappier healthcare now anyway.  They're greedy and don't want to deal with a bump in costs, but that's not what is happening over at arrogant ESPN.

It has nothing to do with them not wanting to pay for healthcare, because the company you work for just had record profits (Disney's ESPN).

my point is that it is cheaper to hire 3rd party than to have full timers...I did it as well when I owned the company. We had 20-25 full timers, and contracted up to 55-60 on game day.

profits or record profits are not the culprit. It is shareholder expectations. Disney has to push share price in order to borrow more money. Disney can only control it expenses, they cant control how many people turn on the TV or walk into a movie. Employees, health care, 401k are akll expenses that can be controlled

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

They don't HAVE to push share price, though. That's kind of my point.  They could borrow more money or move money around. It's Disney for crying out loud.

You are right that they don't technically have to, but the culture around corporate America has changed.  It used to be about making money while still providing good jobs for people.  Now it is all about "shareholder value" at the expense of average employees.  Times have changed in that regard (and for the worse imo) because of the corporate takeover revolution that started in the 80's.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

This sucks!  I feel terrible for the people being laid off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Dude, you're being lied to.  I work as a contractor right now because I do consulting work at the moment, so anyone can go out and pay for health insurance independently on their own.

Corporations are offering crappier healthcare now anyway.  They're greedy and don't want to deal with a bump in costs, but that's not what is happening over at arrogant ESPN.

It has nothing to do with them not wanting to pay for healthcare, because the company you work for just had record profits (Disney's ESPN).

my point is that it is cheaper to hire 3rd party than to have full timers...I did it as well when I owned the company. We had 20-25 full timers, and contracted up to 55-60 on game day.

profits or record profits are not the culprit. It is shareholder expectations. Disney has to push share price in order to borrow more money. Disney can only control it expenses, they cant control how many people turn on the TV or walk into a movie. Employees, health care, 401k are akll expenses that can be controlled

They don't HAVE to push share price, though. That's kind of my point.  They could borrow more money or move money around. It's Disney for crying out loud.

I am well aware of 401Ks, healthcare costs, etc but they pulled the rug out from 400 people because they're arrrogant and greedy.

Yet, you have been on here bashing Kraft in so many ways for years.   Now, you are defending this action from ESPN, huh?

Do you ever wonder how many times a week you look like a hypocrite?

I cant ever recall saying even one negative thing about Kraft. I often defend his "cheap" comments from other posters

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Business exists to maximize profit for shareholders, period. It's not there for social good and it doesn't exist to employ people. To the extent any of those things occur, they're a byproduct.  If you want job security, you can either be so damn good at a vital job that they can't do without you, or start/buy your own business. Otherwise, you're a JAG, a dispensable JAG.

Politicians exist to feather their own nest, period. You have to be unbelievably naive, a simpleton or a child to believe there is some more noble purpose.

People who claim there is some radical difference between political parties or presidents or that we're better off with this guy or that guy running the show couldn't possibly have been paying attention for the last 20 years or so.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Publicly traded got nothing to do with it, that's just a way to raise money.  Privately owned companies are no different. Name one single business that was started other than to make money. Nobody ever started a company because they wanted to break even. If there are no profits, there are no jobs, there's just a liquidating business. 

Greed and corruption are not a new concepts, they're biblical. They're not exclusive to business owners. 

I (and my partners) run a company that has employed as many as about 120, now we're at 35 and were as low as 17. We're doing OK because we leaned out everything, went without paychecks, etc.  We did better a few years ago when conditions were more favorable. We paid better then too, because we had to compete for workers.

Something else, if you don't think health care costs are an enormous concern going forward, talk to any business owner/operator or CFO or to someone who sells health insurance. If we expand again, we may be forced to hire part time workers and even reduce some of our existing people to part time.  It's a very uncertain environment and nobody likes uncertainty.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Business exists to maximize profit for shareholders, period. It's not there for social good and it doesn't exist to employ people. To the extent any of those things occur, they're a byproduct.  If you want job security, you can either be so damn good at a vital job that they can't do without you, or start/buy your own business. Otherwise, you're a JAG, a dispensable JAG.

Politicians exist to feather their own nest, period. You have to be unbelievably naive, a simpleton or a child to believe there is some more noble purpose.

People who claim there is some radical difference between political parties or presidents or that we're better off with this guy or that guy running the show couldn't possibly have been paying attention for the last 20 years or so.

Business owners can make choices.  Yes they have to remain profitable enough to stay in business, but they can still make ethically responsible choices. There are people behind businesses and people still have free will I believe.

And Rusty is right.  It's easier for private companies to choose an ethical course because they don't have to answer to Wall Street.  Public companies really do have less freedom to deviate from a pure focus on profits unless shareholders will back them, which they sadly don't do enough.

The main point though is that there are people running businesses and people can make choices. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I am well aware of 401Ks, healthcare costs, etc but they pulled the rug out from 400 people because they're arrrogant and greedy.

Yet, you have been on here bashing Kraft in so many ways for years.   Now, you are defending this action from ESPN, huh?

Do you ever wonder how many times a week you look like a hypocrite?

They have to push share prices. If you are a board of a corperation your only proirity is the share holders. Henry Ford was sued (and lost) by the Dodge brothers because dividends weren't large enough because of a pay raise to employees. The Dodge brothers took that money they won in court and founded Dodge.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Hey, they need to pay the CEO his $40 million a year salary somehow . . . 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

enabler masking as a "realist" ^^^

Sections
Shortcuts