Can't Say I Am Surprised (ESPN)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Can't Say I Am Surprised (ESPN)

In response to jfaust1954's comment:

This is a prime example of why the Republican Party will never win the Presidency again....only hicks from the sticks are stupid enough to believe all that "big governement" garbage when the wealth of this country is being controlled by an ever decreasing number of people, people like the type who have a controlling interest in large corporations like Disney...they can't spend the money they have in 3 lifetimes...and they blithely choose to destroy the lives who help them build that wealth....they might as well call anyone who works for them or buys their rancid products suckers

And please don't attempt to lecture me on the needs of Big Business...I have an MBA in Finance, a brother who is a CPA, a Masters in Taxation and can practice before the IRS Appeals Board and another brother with a PhD in Economics of Developing Countries...trust me I know whereof I speak....Obama care is NOT hurting this country....in fact, we should have had single payer, the market forces would be controlling all medical related costs including insurance costs, which is why Wall Street and big banks are fighting it so hard still...what a waste of time...

spot on, economically, socially and politically

now try enlightening the muzzy's of the world

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

This has ramifications beyond merely ESPN employees.  ESPN outsources most of the services provided to them (security, housekeeping, food service, etc) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there weren't jobs lost in that area as well.

Won't get into the politics or the pros and cons of business practices but this is truly unfortunate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Healthcare costs/401k have all contributed to the reduction. Not sure where you are coming from on the "dont pay their bills" comment

[/QUOTE]

Rkarp this last line of your response says it all. I hope you and CC and all the other liberals here are enjoying the effects of Obamacare!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

This sucks!  I feel terrible for the people being laid off.

Hopefully all the folks who were laid off voted for Obama, because they are the fools who voted for Obamacare that is causing these problems!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to jfaust1954's comment:

This is a prime example of why the Republican Party will never win the Presidency again....only hicks from the sticks are stupid enough to believe all that "big governement" garbage when the wealth of this country is being controlled by an ever decreasing number of people, people like the type who have a controlling interest in large corporations like Disney...they can't spend the money they have in 3 lifetimes...and they blithely choose to destroy the lives who help them build that wealth....they might as well call anyone who works for them or buys their rancid products suckers

And please don't attempt to lecture me on the needs of Big Business...I have an MBA in Finance, a brother who is a CPA, a Masters in Taxation and can practice before the IRS Appeals Board and another brother with a PhD in Economics of Developing Countries...trust me I know whereof I speak....Obama care is NOT hurting this country....in fact, we should have had single payer, the market forces would be controlling all medical related costs including insurance costs, which is why Wall Street and big banks are fighting it so hard still...what a waste of time...

Jfaust your right repubs will never win the Presidency again. But not because of that "big govt garbage" (a big govt is garbage) but because the number of people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living!!! All the freeloading Dems will never vote to cut off the gravy train!!! And these layoffs at ESPN are directly becaseu of your precious Obamacare!!!! Yeah the same insurance the President himslef will NOT be on, nor will other politicians!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Not sure what the effects of Obamacare are other than getting more people insured (which I believe is a good thing).  Healthcare costs are a big problem, but that has to do with the underlying cost of health care services more than anything else and has nothing to do with Obama care or any other delivery mechanism.  Every country in the world--regardless of how health care is delivered and paid for--is having problems with rising costs.  All that advanced technology and care we receive when we are sick is simply expensive . . . that's why the cost is going up.  The American "private" system is way more expensive than other countries' government systems . . .  but that again isn't Obama's fault.  It has more to do with the insurance system, which is ineffective at controlling what services are delivered, and also the type of care provided in the states, which tends to be higher cost care than that provided elsewhere for comparable conditions.  Again, though, blaming Obama's health care bill for these rising costs is misguided.  They have been rising for years and are rising in every country.  

401ks are another story . . . that's a boondoggle designed specifically to transfer the cost and risk of retirement programs off companies' balance sheets and put it back on employees (while meanwhile making investment firms richer than ever).  401(k)s were originally intended to be supplements to company-funded defined benefit pension plans--and they are actually good as supplements--but companies quickly figured out that once they had a 401(k) in place they could get rid of the pension plan, and America's spineless, unorganized, and poorly informed workers would not object. 

Currently only 20% of Americans will have enough money saved to retire when they reach retirement age.  Yet the Republicans are clamouring to cut Social Security so as not to have to raise taxes on the rich.  There's a huge (and largely unnoticed) retirement crisis about to hit the US as aging baby boomers reach their 60s and 70s and realize they don't have pensions or sufficient 401(k) balances right at the same time that the government is cutting Social Security.  And good luck finding a good job in your 70s . . . there are only so many Walmart greeters needed . . .

The only positive I can see is that healthcare will be too expensive to afford, so you'll probably die earlier . . . which then solves your retirement problem . . . 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Hey, they need to pay the CEO his $40 million a year salary somehow . . . 

Well, exactly.  Look, I remember when I was a kid in college working for a Fortune 50 company, out of college working for that company, etc, I was talking about this stuff then.

I keep using the GM example because it's so easy to use. I used it then, I use it now. It's so easy to close a plant in Dearborn, MI, open one up in rural China and give yourself a raise. Anyone can do that. Anyone.  I don't need a Masters to do it, daddy's connections or a high IQ to do that.  It's laziness or greed. It's more so greed. Really, really blatant greed.

Meanwhile, GM is getting killed by the Japanese, Koreans and even the Germans with Volkswagens. Trying to keep this as simple as possible for discussion purposes.

This was right around 9/11.  At that time, there were many big companies clearly lying as they struggled to grow, but they were selling it as they were doing so well with all this fluff about how great everything was. GM is my choice for the symbolic entity of this problem that completely has a hold on our society right now. So, to cater to Wall St they would essentially misrepresent their position.

Then, like 5 years went by. Bush was re-elected (not saying this is only Bush), Katrina hit in late August of 2005 and the oil companies used that opp to basically almost double oil prices. And, this lasted well into 2007. That's kind of what happened.  It was a lot of masking things to try to scour for ways to manipulate markets. Housing, oil, energy, etc, you name it.

None of it made any sense in terms of basic supply and demand.  We were already at war in Iraq and Afghanistan, so don't give me this "the war was picking up" argument or "China's buying power was growing", which were the arguments at the time. And, this isn't even meant to bash those military ops either. I am fully supportive of this country defending itself as best it can with the intelligance that's available and with the international community in support.

Anyway...

What happened was, there was no regulation of any kind.   It simply went away between what Wall St was doing and what the banks were allowed to do. That whole Glass Steagall de-reg bill in October of 1999 (signed off by Clinton, would love to know why he did that - the media has NEVER asked him about that), opened a ton of doors for this kind of manipulation of markets and corruption. It basically allowed many different kinds of industries to collude and make billions and trillions together, regardless of the typical flow of supply and demand across different industries.

And, here we are in 2013 still wondering what this is going on.

I don't know how to fix it, but if we have some AMericans with their heads in the sand going to the voting booths making the wrong decisions or not understanding what is going on currently, we have a problem for the future.

I hate to say this but I agree with someone here who said in the end it doesn't matter which person we elect president as each party has its issues, and is corrupt. I agree with this.

not picking on Obama here, but see me through. Honestly I didn't want him to win. But, when he did, I was interested to see what his administration would be like, had high hopes that maybe he could turn things around, be "the most transparent" administration that ever was. His words, not mine. Fast forward , we are no better in my estimation with him, and, he hasn't really done anything different than any other administration. 

My point is, and this goes to the point of big business, big business, multi-national corporations control this country and the world. Governments, countries. Are proxies for them. Therefore, we will do what is in the best interest for these companies to grow...this includes policy Decisions, and it doesn't matter who is in office. Look no further than the trilateral commission. Upon entering office, Obama appointed 10 members of the trilateral commission to senior posts in his administration. This crew along with the MNC's run things. Obama, bush, Clinton, etc are puppets. The TC made up of MNC's, the global elite run things behind the scenes, and, they are bent on creating a more integrated global economy and political system. What stands in the way? Our constitution for one. Sovereignty of countries second,,etc. 

the challenge we have is economic not political. Scarce resources, MNC's want to control them And stuff their bank accounts. Politics is a means to this end. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Hey, they need to pay the CEO his $40 million a year. Well, exactly.  Look, I remember when I was a kid in college working for a Fortune 50 company, out of college working for that company, etc, I was talking about this stuff then.  

I keep using the GM example because it's so easy to use. I used it then, I use it now. It's so easy to close a plant in Dearborn, MI, open one up in rural China and give yourself a raise. Anyone can do that. Anyone.  I don't need a Masters to do it, daddy's connections or a high IQ to do that.  It's laziness or greed. It's more so greed. Really, really blatant greed.

Meanwhile, GM is getting killed by the Japanese, Koreans and even the Germans with Volkswagens. Trying to keep this as simple as possible for discussion purposes.

This was right around 9/11.  At that time, there were many big companies clearly lying as they struggled to grow, but they were selling it as they were doing so well with all this fluff about how great everything was. GM is my choice for the symbolic entity of this problem that completely has a hold on our society right now. So, to cater to Wall St they would essentially misrepresent their position.

Then, like 5 years went by. Bush was re-elected (not saying this is only Bush), Katrina hit in late August of 2005 and the oil companies used that opp to basically almost double oil prices. And, this lasted well into 2007. That's kind of what happened.  It was a lot of masking things to try to scour for ways to manipulate markets. Housing, oil, energy, etc, you name it.

None of it made any sense in terms of basic supply and demand.  We were already at war in Iraq and Afghanistan, so don't give me this "the war was picking up" argument or "China's buying power was growing", which were the arguments at the time. And, this isn't even meant to bash those military ops either. I am fully supportive of this country defending itself as best it can with the intelligance that's available and with the international community in support.

Anyway...

What happened was, there was no regulation of any kind.   It simply went away between what Wall St was doing and what the banks were allowed to do. That whole Glass Steagall de-reg bill in October of 1999 (signed off by Clinton, would love to know why he did that - the media has NEVER asked him about that), opened a ton of doors for this kind of manipulation of markets and corruption. It basically allowed many different kinds of industries to collude and make billions and trillions together, regardless of the typical flow of supply and demand across different industries.

And, here we are in 2013 still wondering what this is going on.

I don't know how to fix it, but if we have some AMericans with their heads in the sand going to the voting booths making the wrong decisions or not understanding what is going on currently, we have a problem for the future.

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Business exists to maximize profit for shareholders, period. It's not there for social good and it doesn't exist to employ people. To the extent any of those things occur, they're a byproduct.  If you want job security, you can either be so damn good at a vital job that they can't do without you, or start/buy your own business. Otherwise, you're a JAG, a dispensable JAG.

Politicians exist to feather their own nest, period. You have to be unbelievably naive, a simpleton or a child to believe there is some more noble purpose.

People who claim there is some radical difference between political parties or presidents or that we're better off with this guy or that guy running the show couldn't possibly have been paying attention for the last 20 years or so.

enabler masking as a "realist" ^^^

Board cop on the job...

Woooooooo. Busted!   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Rkarp this last line of your response says it all. I hope you and CC and all the other liberals here are enjoying the effects of Obamacare!!!!

You realize of course that healthcare costs have slowed dramatically since Obamacare was passed.  I am not even going to argue that the new law is the cause, but it certainly pokes a hole in your little "theory".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Jfaust your right repubs will never win the Presidency again. But not because of that "big govt garbage" (a big govt is garbage) but because the number of people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living!!! All the freeloading Dems will never vote to cut off the gravy train!!!

You should get out more.  The entire 47% meme was hilarious.  The 47% who don't pay federal income tax (although they do pay other taxes) are either very poor, very old (SS isn't taxable), veterans or super rich with clever accountants.  Old people, veterans and the super rich with clever accountants sounds like a core democratic constituency.  LMFAO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Healthcare costs/401k have all contributed to the reduction. Not sure where you are coming from on the "dont pay their bills" comment

[/QUOTE]

are you simply dumb, or are you simply dumb?

did I ever mention even one political word in my comment?

the fact is that employees, health care, 401k are all expenses. Any company can lower expenses by eliminating any or all of the 3. I know it as fact that ESPN will contract many of the people let go, pay them similar wages, but not cover their health care or 401k.

Disney is a company that employs thousands and thousands of people. They reduced their workforce by 2-2.5%, but are still hiring in other areas.   

you can blame a CEO for eliminating 2-2.5% of the workforce jobs (many thru buy outs and simple attrition) or you can applaud that same CEO for employing thousands and thousands, and continuously growing the business...and keeping the business very healthy 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

This is fantastic.  A moron who can't talk something as simple as football with any semblance of intelligence is venturing into politics and economics. 

Tell us more about how healthcare costs have "slowed dramatically".  Start with what that even means and then give some details about these "costs" that have "slowed".  (Hint: Costs can't slow).

It is shorthand for slower growth.  Of course you know this and are just trolling.  A quick google search shows that various major news outlets such as Bloomberg, Forbes and the Washington Post have all used this shorthand.  MORON.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

There's an academic side to this discussion and a real life side. If you are in business (but not the CEO of Disney) you make decisions based on the information you have and based on how much money is in your operating account and how much you need to make payroll and your expected cash flow and all of that.

You can talk academically about Disney and other companies like that and it's interesting, but I am to the CEO of Disney what a single engine Cessna pilot is to Captain Kirk. I'm worried about the wind speed and the conditions on the ground because one little slipup and I'm dead. I'm not thinking about Starfleet or Uhuru's legs, I don't have that luxury.

Our health insurance carrier was charging us about $11K/month and quoted us almost $15K to renew.  And they basically said that next year it might double. So we have to see if there's a cheaper way to insure our people, or if there are other ways to reduce that cost like pass some of it on to the employees. Or do we make up the $4K a month by letting someone go. I don't want to do any of that, but if you want to keep the doors open it's that type of stuff that you have to consider.  

I can't tell you whether Obamacare is the cause of those increases, I only know it isn't getting any cheaper. And if you think business is just going to absorb those kinds of increased costs for the good of the country, well good luck with that. You're going to pay for it, with your job, your pay, in the cost of goods, in higher taxes.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

There's an academic side to this discussion and a real life side. If you are in business (but not the CEO of Disney) you make decisions based on the information you have and based on how much money is in your operating account and how much you need to make payroll and your expected cash flow and all of that.

You can talk academically about Disney and other companies like that and it's interesting, but I am to the CEO of Disney what a single engine Cessna pilot is to Captain Kirk. I'm worried about the wind speed and the conditions on the ground because one little slipup and I'm dead. I'm not thinking about Starfleet or Uhuru's legs, I don't have that luxury.

Our health insurance carrier was charging us about $11K/month and quoted us almost $15K to renew.  And they basically said that next year it might double. So we have to see if there's a cheaper way to insure our people, or if there are other ways to reduce that cost like pass some of it on to the employees. Or do we make up the $4K a month by letting someone go. I don't want to do any of that, but if you want to keep the doors open it's that type of stuff that you have to consider.  

I can't tell you whether Obamacare is the cause of those increases, I only know it isn't getting any cheaper. And if you think business is just going to absorb those kinds of increased costs for the good of the country, well good luck with that. You're going to pay for it, with your job, your pay, in the cost of goods, in higher taxes.  

Going to be a lot more independent contractors and temporary workers out there before you know it. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Muzzy, how many full time employees do you employ?

Healthcare costs were the main reason I sold my company..and that was a number of years ago. I know it is much, much worse today.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Interesting post, Muzz.  Not sure what line of work you're in but the Cessna pilot/Captain Kirk analogy is apt for me as well and, trust me, I'm nobody's Captain Kirk.  I absolutely agree with you on the day-to-day considerations that impact small businesses. I was faced with a similar situation from a health insurance standpoint and at essentially the same monthly cost.  The increase was not as large but it was significant.  We got a little creative in terms of how to deal with the situation and the choices that we had to make. We're assessing whether or not we made the most cost-effective choice now.   I haven't the remotest clue as to what impact the ACA is going to have on our insurance costs and, in my opinion, no one else does either.  Only time will tell.  I will say this:  the hyperbolic horror stories that are being tossed around like a frisbee about disastrous job losses are largely political rhetoric at least at this point.  The provisions of the act that have the biggest impact on businesses won't take effect until next year and, in any event, will have little or no impact on me since my workforce is fewer than 30 including myself.

Those concerned about the ACA or 'Obamacare' and the impact it will have may find this piece in Forbes of interest:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/2013/04/22/is-the-affordable-care-act-really-bad-for-business/

I hasten to point out that Forbes is no White House house organ.  

And yes, 401k plans, health insurance, paid leave are very much a cost of doing business.  I'll deal with the issues as they come as I suspect you will as well, Muzz, and every other small business CEO.

My humble 2 cents.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Muzzy, how many full time employees do you employ?

Healthcare costs were the main reason I sold my company..and that was a number of years ago. I know it is much, much worse today.

We're at 35. Down from a high of 120, but up from a low of 17 (about a year or so ago). Health costs keep rising, we've tried every trick we can to manage them. Premiums seem to go up 10% or so most years, this year about 30%.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

ATJ, as I said I can't attribute our increases to Obamacare. I really don't know why they go up, the carriers don't tell us. We've gone to a higher deductible plan and adopted a supplemental plan to help our people with the deductible. That helped keep them down for a while, but they still went up and this year, way up.  Right now, we won't be directly impacted by the ACA because we're less than 50 FTEs, but we do expect to grow.  If we do, we may need to do it with part-timers, we'll see.

I think everyone will be impacted ultimately one way or another, even if your business is not (for now) directly affected.

25. This post has been removed.