Can't Wait For Season to End

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Can't Wait For Season to End

Don't know about you...but I can wait for this bitter-sweet season to end. It was almost as big of a disappointment as the 2006 and 2007 seasons. The Patriots have become the second coming of the 1967, 1975, and 1986 Red Sox. This team is in need of a heart transplant...and some tough, mean defensive linemen, and pass-rushers! The "bend but don't break" concept must go!!! 

Bring on the draft!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Can't Wait For Season to End

The bend but don't break philosophy is great when you have the horses to turn on the playmaking.

At times they had it, some other times the lack of supreme talent on D showed.

The D is not what cost them the playoff loss, however. Moving forward, yes, there is no doubt where the main flaw lies.

It appears like most fans pretty much agree WHERE the infusion of talent needs to be, which is rare (haha).

When you think about it, that's a good thing.  Clear focus on where the weak spots are only ratchets up the chances of BB hitting on the picks.

They need pass rush help, line help (both sides) and some developmental projects in the mid rounds for depth.

Dodging injuries with some luck will be a good thing too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm not there.  I look at it as a failure, for sure, but not like the past years where we had defense losing core players, receivers headed elsewhere, etc.  Our team is RETURNING starters next year, ADDING ones who didn't get on the field, and DRAFTING what, 8 guys if we want?  This year DID accomplish something.  It gave a lot of rookies and 2nd tier guys starting time.  We head into next year loaded and EXPERIENCED.  THAT is the legacy of this season that everyone is ignoring.  I'm psyched about the next year!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

We've been waiting for this team to position itself for another SB run and I think they've maneuvered themselves into a pretty good position to get there with a good draft, the return of guys from injury and maybe a FA guy here or there.  They were 14-2 with substantial room for growth among the young players.  They have a good core on both sides of the ball.  They have the opportunity to add significant pieces through the draft.  They have a good coaching staff and QB. 

Not saying any of this is a guarantee for more superbowls, but how can anyone not be optimistic about the future?  I can't wait for the draft and free agency, and I hope the CBA can be worked out.        

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Let's get this cobra Von Miller.  Small, but relentless like Matthews. 

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnZSceCN5Yg"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Ok, mods time to step in and clean up Leon's little characters that he has created. The "Don't Question BB" one now needs to be eliminated.

Get it done, please.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorFootball. Show DoctorFootball's posts

In Response to Re: Can't Wait For Season to End:
    I'm not there.  I look at it as a failure, for sure, but not like the past years where we had defense losing core players, receivers headed elsewhere, etc.  Our team is RETURNING starters next year, ADDING ones who didn't get on the field, and DRAFTING what, 8 guys if we want?  This year DID accomplish something.  It gave a lot of rookies and 2nd tier guys starting time.  We head into next year loaded and EXPERIENCED.  THAT is the legacy of this season that everyone is ignoring.  I'm psyched about the next year!
    Posted by Davedsone

Dave, you go into next year with a QB that is a mere shell of himself and now hobbled with Injuries. He, just like Forehead Manning turn to jelly once the pocket caves in on them.
    You have 2 midget running-backs, you have a swiss cheese O-Line, and expect to lose 2 of them, your D-line is weak, you have NO ONE that can get to another QB, your teams middle is weak, you have no WR that can catch and hold on to the ball.

Yeah you have a bunch to look forward to, then your GURU Mastermind that cant pick a D or O coordinator, cant select a decent defense or any schemes that work.

Your on the way down brother!Wink 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In Response to Re: Can't Wait For Season to End : Dave, you go into next year with a QB that is a mere shell of himself and now hobbled with Injuries. He, just like Forehead Manning turn to jelly once the pocket caves in on them. You have 2 midget running-backs, you have a swiss cheese O-Line, and expect to lose 2 of them, your D-line is weak, you have NO ONE that can get to another QB, your teams middle is weak, you have no WR that can catch and hold on to the ball. Yeah you have a bunch to look forward to, then your GURU Mastermind that cant pick a D or O coordinator, cant select a decent defense or any schemes that work. Your on the way down brother!  
    Posted by DoctorFootball

yeah right! pretty lousy for a team that went 14-2 in the regular season and beat you jets 45-3. you keep on thinking that doc. your basing this on ONE game. if you don't think that for one minute that the patriots are gonna come back next season with a hugh hair accross their butts then I got a bridge that I wanna sell you cheap in brooklyn. just remember you heard it from me. next season we are gonna drop one helluva a hugh deuce on the J-e-t-s jets,jets,jets. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

At least we've got a great match up in the Super Bowl with two of the most storied franchises in the NFL.  I'm looking forward to this one.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorFootball. Show DoctorFootball's posts

In Response to Re: Can't Wait For Season to End : yeah right! pretty lousy for a team that went 14-2 in the regular season and beat you jets 45-3. you keep on thinking that doc. your basing this on ONE game. if you don't think that for one minute that the patriots are gonna come back next season with a hugh hair accross their butts then I got a bridge that I wanna sell you cheap in brooklyn. just remember you heard it from me. next season we are gonna drop one helluva a hugh deuce on the J-e-t-s jets,jets,jets. 
    Posted by Hammah29r2

See, your another one sitting there gloating about a 14 and 2 record, how about the Pats winning all 16 then going to the Super Bowl only to CHOKE!!!!

Your team is now becoming the old Buffalo Bills. Oh wait, Im sorry, you have to win playoff games to do that, and the Pats are no longer a winning playoff team.

You should cheer for a winning team that wins playoff games.... the Steelers

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Can't Wait For Season to End:
         Don't know about you...but I can wait for this bitter-sweet season to end. It was almost as big of a disappointment as the 2006 and 2007 seasons. The Patriots have become the second coming of the 1967, 1975, and 1986 Red Sox. This team is in need of a heart transplant...and some tough, mean defensive linemen, and pass-rushers! The "bend but don't break" concept must go!!!        Bring on the draft!
    Posted by TexasPat3

TP question for you.  This is a very hypothetical question. 

The pats have a significant number of draft picks, and a team has only so many roster spots. 

What positions do you think the pats drafts and then who do you think they drop and/or don't resign.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Can't Wait For Season to End : TP question for you.  This is a very hypothetical question.  The pats have a significant number of draft picks, and a team has only so many roster spots.  What positions do you think the pats drafts and then who do you think they drop and/or don't resign.  
    Posted by UD6

UD--I suspect they trade some picks for higher picks next year.  If BB can set himself up for good drafts over the next two or three years, he'll do it.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: Can't Wait For Season to End : Boo hoo, mommy make the bad men telling the truth stop, we cant handle the truth about the Patriots
    Posted by DoctorFootball

Said the guy who's FIRST post was a thread titled" BDC MODERATORS PLEASE READ AND ACT ON THIS"  then went on a powersnivel about how I was mean and harassing him and how they should also alert the police.  You sniveling coward.  "Oh, help, dave is hurting my feelings, help me, help!!!"  You got into an intellectual argument and found yourself without the ability to compete, and ran screaming.  You are a troll, a fool, and the worse kind of poster on this board.  You believe in nothing, have nothing to say, and simply input the most irritating thing you can think of, to waste our time and cause aggravation  Your time is coming.  You WILL be banned.  And the next silly alt you create will be also.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

We knew going in this young team would have it's ups and downs. Unfortunately, they were down in the playoff loss. 

We're just a few pieces away from being dominant. We need a pass rusher, get Leigh Bodden and Ty Warren back healthy, re-sign Gerard Warren and stock up with some young depth.

14-2 was no fluke. We have playmakers, they just didn't show up in the playoffs. At least they gained valuable playoff experience.

DontQuestionBB take your 31st overall statistic and shove it up your asss. If you watched this team, you would know what a croc that stat is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: Can't Wait For Season to End : Boo hoo, mommy make the bad men telling the truth stop, we cant handle the truth about the Patriots
    Posted by DoctorFootball

Truth, or objective reality is a funny thing.  You're obviously in the camp that the Pats will stink next year (I suppose you're a Jets fan).  Most Pats fans, while disappointed with how the season ends (a feeling I'm sure a Jets fan can appreciate) see a glass-half-full proposition for next year.  We have many draft picks and can trade them for established players - ergo, we have very many options to find ways to improve our 14-3 team, and this year's rookies will be another year more experienced.  I'll admit I'm a homer, but if there is a football season next year, you can bet the Pats will be among the playoff contenders, and the year after that, and the year after that.  Can you say the same for whatever team you root for?  Come on good Doctor, whip a little truth and enlightenment on us all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorFootball. Show DoctorFootball's posts

In Response to Re: Can't Wait For Season to End : My mistake, I forgot about delusional Pats fans that can't deal with reality.   
    Posted by DontQuestionBB
    LOL DontQuestion, your striking a nerve with these people, its called facts. They cant tell what that means... They are the new Buffalo Bills in training. Looks good, wins every season but when playoff time comes round, they take a seat each and every time.  Ahhhhh blind little fools

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I agree. They don't have many spots to fill, but they do have some important needs. If they can sure up the team with a 3 down DE (could JJ Watt be the guy?), a healthy Mike Wright, a healthy Ty Warren (I'm not holding my breath), Leigh Bodden from'09, and some strength up the middle on the OL then this team could run away with the #1 seed once again. 

I know OLB is a need too, but I think Cunningham could develop and like Ninkovich a lot. I don't see why people aren't more of a fan of Ninkovich. He makes plays, can set the edge, and rushes the passer pretty well too. He's not Julius Peppers, but he's pretty close to what Vrabel gave them. Keep in mind Vrabel played next to Seymour, not Ron Brace.

In Response to Re: Can't Wait For Season to End : UD--I suspect they trade some picks for higher picks next year.  If BB can set himself up for good drafts over the next two or three years, he'll do it.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: Can't Wait For Season to End : Enlighten you I shall my boy.....But you wont like it.  First off my son, I am not a Jets fan. Im a Patriot fan that is laughing at how foolish you fans are acting. The Patriots lost to the Jets, and the next week the Jets lose to the Steelers. Either way, both teams lost, its that simple. But for fans in here to act like 5 year olds laughing at the Jets is ridiculous.   Ryan has had the team how long? and has taken them past the Patriots for 2 years in a row. Belichick the so called genius can no longer get the team past their first playoff win, cant put together a stellar defense (how long has he had the Patriots) and with all the draft picks the last 4 years, the Patriots STILL have the same problems. Your claim will now be, but we had a rebuild year. EVERY year is a rebuild year, period. You will sit and wait for the draft as usual, and when its all over be shaking your heads wondering what just happened and why didnt BB address the needs of this team once again as he usually does. There will be no top free agents brought in, the team will lose Mankins and others that will not be replaced by other top players in the league. You kid yourselves that this will get better due to the reasons you cannot accept the fact that the Patriots head coach is lost without his past inside information and his old coordinators. I laugh because its true, you get upset because you wont except it, you live off the past Super Bowls and a meaningless record of 14-2.  Remember when they were 16-0 and lost the Super Bowl? Dont fantasize of what could have happened, what might have happened, half empty or half full, instead look at the facts, look at BB and his history, like a loser with the Browns, comes here and cheats and wins, now caught and without information, he loses.  That is reality..... But you go back now and choose your fantasy world.
    Posted by DoctorFootball

I thought we might engage in a friendly discussion, and I actually agree with a couple of your comments with regards to the Jets/Pats winning/losing.  You say you're a Pats fan, but don't have much confidence that they'll be a good team.  Okay, glass-half-empty kinda' guy, I get it.  You rail against BB - what did this team do (and you did say you were a fan) before he got here?  Not much.  Hey, and you don't have to be a condescending little snot either - I didn't verbally attack you with venom, so why did you feel the need to respond in the manner in which you did.  Must be nice being an Internet know-it-all.  Your folks must be proud.  You want to converse civily, fine; you want to be a dip, fine - but it will probably bore you quickly when no one responds to your drivel.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

TEX: AMEN! (to season ending SB) I think this PATS team as a whole did play with heart for most of the season- however they are certainly heartbreakers. And they are rivaling some infamous RedSox flame-outs.
    Yep- Give me some major D. draft defense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Doctor Football and DontQuestionBB = Jets Trolls.  You guys aren't fooling anybody.  Now f**k off!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: Can't Wait For Season to End : If your refering to me as the Internet Know it All, yo hav eme confused with Davedsone. If I hurt your feeling then please let me apologize. Im not use to some of the fans in here that can actually understand that there are other teams in the NFL that play better than New England and most dont wish to face the truth
    Posted by DoctorFootball

Well thank God you're here to tell us Pats fans to face the truth.  Hey, I got an idea, I'll give you my version of the truth and you let me know if I'm right or wrong.  Okay, here goes:

-  Pre BB, the Pats had relatively few seasons of playoff football.  We made it to two SBs, got trounced in one, and just plain beaten in the other.
    -  Post BB, we've been to four SBs.
    -  Post BB, we won three of four SBs.
    -  Post BB, we've been (with the exception of two years I believe) in the playoffs.  These seasons have included multiple division championships.
    -  Post BB, we have one of the best winning percentages in the league during his time with us.
    -  Given BB's track record, it's not unreasonable to expect, at least during TB's contract years, that we'll be playoff contenders.

Am I wrong on anything above?  If not, then your statements obviously hold very little water.  If the statements above are wrong, please let me know how.  And don't worry, you can't possibly hurt my feelings, I have no feelings for a total stranger whatsoever, so they can't possibly be hurt. 

You're right, some years (years we didn't win SBs), other teams have played better than the Pats - in that particular year.  That said, which teams (less the Steelers) have had our consistent success?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Can't Wait For Season to End:
         Don't know about you...but I can wait for this bitter-sweet season to end. It was almost as big of a disappointment as the 2006 and 2007 seasons. The Patriots have become the second coming of the 1967, 1975, and 1986 Red Sox. This team is in need of a heart transplant...and some tough, mean defensive linemen, and pass-rushers! The "bend but don't break" concept must go!!!        Bring on the draft!
    Posted by TexasPat3

TP, I've never really heard a sane explanation of what "bend but don't break defense is".  In my opinion, it describes the traits of the players, and not an actual scheme.  In other words, the scheme bends, but the players simply tend to raise their level of play when they are pinned down.  You need players like Willie Mac, Harrison, Bruschi and so on to pull that off.  When you don't have those players, all you get is bend and break.  I just can't see any scheme where the intent is to allow them to get yards until a certain point, and them the coach tells the guys they can play hard now...

That said, I thought our D showed flashes of making big plays when it mattered most this year.  Some of our guys seem to have the "Willie Mac" factor.  When they are pinned down, they make big plays.  So when I hear "bend but don't break", I interpret it as "the scheme bends, but the players keep it from breaking".  Therefore, we need those players with an attitude that some are talking about, or a different scheme.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

My mistake, I forgot about delusional Pats fans that can't deal with reality.   
    Posted by DontQuestionBB

The reality is the Pats played lights out defense the last quarter of the season.

You have to play mistake free football in the playoffs. An interception, a dropped TD pass, a fumbled fake punt, untimely penalties, more dropped passes, two missed on-sides kicks, won't win you many games.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Can't Wait For Season to End : TP, I've never really heard a sane explanation of what "bend but don't break defense is".  In my opinion, it describes the traits of the players, and not an actual scheme.  In other words, the scheme bends, but the players simply tend to raise their level of play when they are pinned down.  You need players like Willie Mac, Harrison, Bruschi and so on to pull that off.  When you don't have those players, all you get is bend and break.  I just can't see any scheme where the intent is to allow them to get yards until a certain point, and them the coach tells the guys they can play hard now... That said, I thought our D showed flashes of making big plays when it mattered most this year.  Some of our guys seem to have the "Willie Mac" factor.  When they are pinned down, they make big plays.  So when I hear "bend but don't break", I interpret it as "the scheme bends, but the players keep it from breaking".  Therefore, we need those players with an attitude that some are talking about, or a different scheme.
    Posted by carawaydj

I think of "bend but don't break" as a defense that focuses on stopping deep pass plays at the expense of giving up some short ones.  What happens, though, is when the offense gets close to the red zone and the field shortens, the deep zones creep up closer to the LOS and the soft area in the short zones disappears.  This makes the defense stiffen up as you near the goal line, so it's less likely to break. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsjustagame1. Show itsjustagame1's posts

In Response to Can't Wait For Season to End : TP, I've never really heard a sane explanation of what "bend but don't break defense is".  In my opinion, it describes the traits of the players, and not an actual scheme.  In other words, the scheme bends, but the players simply tend to raise their level of play when they are pinned down.  You need players like Willie Mac, Harrison, Bruschi and so on to pull that off.  When you don't have those players, all you get is bend and break.  I just can't see any scheme where the intent is to allow them to get yards until a certain point, and them the coach tells the guys they can play hard now... That said, I thought our D showed flashes of making big plays when it mattered most this year.  Some of our guys seem to have the "Willie Mac" factor.  When they are pinned down, they make big plays.  So when I hear "bend but don't break", I interpret it as "the scheme bends, but the players keep it from breaking".  Therefore, we need those players with an attitude that some are talking about, or a different scheme.
    Posted by carawaydj

I think the purpose  " bend-but-don't-break" is more about "situational football". Between the 20s,  i think the pats tend to give up yards because they're conservative about defensive play calling. They don't blitz a lot, and give a lot of space to opposing WRs. They're playing the odds and hoping the other team makes a mistake and can't execute. Once an opponent is in our defensive Red Zone area - the field of play is smaller for the opponent, and the types of offensive calls that can be made narrows down - again, BB coaches situational football - so, if he thinks a team has a pre-disposition for a certain kind of call - he might place our defensive players in a situation where he can make a big play.

Like u said, we used to have players like that in the past. We were very bad at this in 2009, and did get better in 2010 - BUT, we still have some work to do to get better.

Sections
Shortcuts