Can't wait to see Brandon Tate!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Can't wait to see Brandon Tate!

I like the 3rd rd pick out of NC Tate, big kid 6-1 WR with nice hands.  Injuries cause him to drop in the the draft, but with Moss, Welker, and Brady, I can't wait to see what this kid can do in the Patriots system.  Had injuries not come into play, Tate may have been taken much higher.

Here's some video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS6L070REw0

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Can't wait to see Brandon Tate!

It is certainly a good value. But I would feel better about if Ne hada solid track record of drafting WR's. The last real score was Deion Branch. Tate is 83rd overall and Branch was 65th. So maybe it will bode better than trading up for someone like Chad Jackson. LOL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Tate is a good returner, he can replace Hobbs

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

I don't think we see him anytime soon- he is still recovering from surgery. This is why he missed the combine and his stock fell off the board.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I don't think we see him anytime soon- he is still recovering from surgery. This is why he missed the combine and his stock fell off the board.
    Posted by patpscyho

That and he tested pos for herb, him and Harvin.  It's good Foxborough switched to the plastic stuff...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from No1BadGuy. Show No1BadGuy's posts

I think it will be good for him to while he rehabs he watches both Moss & Galloway work their craft so he can prepare his mind & body for the pro game.

If he developes I see him as a true #1/2 receiver in a year or 2 who could represent great value..

If someone would have said, with the #23 pick we would end up with Butler, Tate & a 2nd rounder next year, who would not be pretty excited??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

How many WR's came to NE who were NFL Busts?  Bugs eyes Caldwell and Gaffney(he was, just not with Brady).  Brady can make superstars out of most WR, ask Branch.   If this kid turns out to be a great sleeper pick, watch out!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

I live in Chapel Hill NC and have watched this guy play at UNC for years.  He is extremely explosive and has almost single handedly won games for UNC in the past.  If he didnt get injured he wouldve been a first rounder, possibly in the place of his teammate HAkeem Nicks.  Tate was the teams playmaker and when he went down thats when UNC started losing games last year but also gave Hicks a chance to get in the spotlight.  A scoring threat every time he touches the ball. Im glad he failed a drug test, kept him on the board long enough for us to pick him!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I didn't watch any UNC, except for the BC game that Nicks jsut *dominated.* But Tate was already done at that point of the season.

From what I read, some scouts  (not most) had  Tate pegged as a better pro prospect at WR than Nicks before his injury.

Just looking at the stats (and what I know of Nicks)  I have trouble with this. Although I know Nicks is a short upside, high polish type player, who may have already reached his peak. 

So is that noise just based on pure athleticism? 

From what I have read he has rare ability to adjust to poor throws and make catches away from his body. But is that enough?

I try to put together a comprehensive board, and his injuryreally put me off. Like Wheatley last season, as a matter of fact.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

From what I have noticed, tate was really finding his niche in the offense last year after mainly being a standout as a punt/kickoff returner.  I think he has great potential, dont remember him ever dropping passes, and he has great coverage separation ability.  I had been hoping all along that NE would give him a chance because he could really be one of the top 2-3 receivers in the draft if he recovers back to normal.  He was injured early last season so I wouldnt be surprised if we see him in the preseason

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

From what I read he is likely to be on the PUP for a good part of the season. They should take their time and make sure it is healthy before moving forward.

On the plus side for him, it buys him a few more months to sit back and blaze a fatty. LOL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

D@mn if hes still in chapel hill I'll join him!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

it would be nice if the NFL didn't test or care about marijuana.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

Thats true, its not like its a performance enhancing drug.  Unless its a defensive player , tell them the ball's a big blunt and they'll get there fast

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I agree with both of you! But that would be a PR nightmare.

Maybe if Ricky Williams becomes pres of the NFLPA. LOL.

My words to Tate? Relax. Hit it up while you have time. Then get ready to make some touchdowns.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

Hey even if he smokes before games he cant do worse than chad jackson!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Maybe it'll make him better. I am firmly convinced Ricky Henderson smoked crack every single day of his HOF career.

That seemed to work out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

And if he's got cotton mouth he'll bring more "value" to the waterboy position, and that was the theme of this draft

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

I think it will be good for him to while he rehabs he watches both Moss & Galloway work their craft so he can prepare his mind & body for the pro game. If he developes I see him as a true #1/2 receiver in a year or 2 who could represent great value.. If someone would have said, with the #23 pick we would end up with Butler, Tate & a 2nd rounder next year, who would not be pretty excited??
    Posted by No1BadGuy

I think we may see him at the start of training camp in July. The average time of recovery for a torn ACL/MCL is 6 to 9 months. That means he may be back early enough for the rookie camp in May (unlikely). Sitting out the year on PUP is a Reiss suggestion. I don't put much confidence in Mike Reiss's estimates. He's always overly conservative. The guy never wants to go out on a limb and look bad.

-- dx7

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I live in Chapel Hill NC and have watched this guy play at UNC for years.  He is extremely explosive and has almost single handedly won games for UNC in the past.  If he didnt get injured he wouldve been a first rounder, possibly in the place of his teammate HAkeem Nicks.  Tate was the teams playmaker and when he went down thats when UNC started losing games last year but also gave Hicks a chance to get in the spotlight.  A scoring threat every time he touches the ball. Im glad he failed a drug test, kept him on the board long enough for us to pick him!
    Posted by joe81b

Thanks Joe, these are the kind of things that make us fans feel a little better.  I'm sure a lot of fans are going out today and trying to learn about the guys the Pats drafted.  Tate was one of the kids I've been searching for information on and most what I've found is how he didn't think and how he smoked before the combine ect.

I'm glad you have first hand knowledge and shared it with us.  The measurableare there for this guy, I hope he goes on IR this year and is around the facility just learning from the Vets.  Next year once he's 100% healed and Galloway is not here let him take over see how he does.  I feel better about the pick, good size, return guy, speed tough.  Made a mistake so did some other guys that are not Patriot greats.  Hope he does well but this year I think we can afford to give this guy a year to get his knee better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Brandon Tate already has a new nickname "The Blaze"....Thats right folks he going to light 'em up!!!! Now back to his football talent,he is a very good ballplayer and he'll be very productive in the kicking game in 2010,I'm just guessing that with both the ACL and MCL having been torn that the Patriots are planning red shirting him for 2009.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

If anything we'll see some amazing returns plus he'll have single coverage with Moss on the other side while opening up room for welker.   Lets just hope theres no setbacks in his recovery

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

This kid does not have the pressure that Jackson had to come in and be that guy.  He's has probably two years before he's looked at to be a #2 or even eventually a #1.  He will be developed slowly, doesn't hurt that he's learning from Moss and WW.  One the long ball game and they other route running and catching in the middle. 

Two years from now this guy could be something else.  That's why I love BB's methods, he's not just thinking this or next year he has a long term plan and does not care about the critics.  The upside to this guy was too much to pass up.

Sections
Shortcuts