Re: Cap help...

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

How much room do we have?

I"m guessing somewhere around $7-$9mil

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

From www.patscap.com

Last updated on March 25, 2013 10:45 PM EDT

"According to my figures the Patriots' 2013 cap figure is for $108,135,225 with 65 (64 active, 0 on Injured Reserve, 1 on Reserve/Non-NFI) players. I now believe that reserve players like Brian Waters do not count against the cap. I have the Patriots' 2013 dead money at $6,644,196. $108,135,225 + $6,644,196 = $114,779,421. The cap limit for the 2013 season is $123 million. The Patriots' adjusted cap number is $129,656,344. Therefore, I have the Patriots under their adjusted cap limit by about $14.9 million. On the 19th of March Greg Bedard tweeted that the Patriots are under their adjusted cap by $15,271,750 so my numbers were off by $164,827 at that time. My numbers do NOT include the cap effects of the Sebastian Vollmer resigning"

If you have Vollmer's contract numbers you can make a good guess. The Herald said 3-4 million cap hit this year, that would the PATs at $10.9 million.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Good info, thanks.  I guess my question would then be how much will they have to allocate for draft picks and for dealing with whatever issues they face after the draft? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Comparing the salary slot allocations from last years draft and assumed they haven't changed much (considering the cap really didn't move) we will need ~$3.5mil to sign our current picks, but that could change pending any trades.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Sounds like we may have room enough for 2-3 more additions in FA...not counting vollmer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Sounds like we may have room enough for 2-3 more additions in FA...not counting vollmer.

we should have enough for Vollmer and an handful or camp body CB's and WRs. Don't forget in camp you only count the top 51 so usually any cap hit you can remove $500k from the contract you are replacing. So if you are signing a bunch of lower end deals you really aren't adding a ton of cap money.

I'm still hoping they bring in David Nelson or Ramses to give them a shot in camp. I still think they need a big body WR who can box out CB's and just fight for the ball inside the 20. Other then Gronk and Ballard I don't see a receiver who can be a toss it up in the end zone and just let the receiver out jump a floater. That's one thing I see other teams have that we don't usually. That out corner pattern where a QB just floats it and the WR just makes a play instead of Brady being perfect and threading needles in the end zone

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

How much more cap space will we get if can get a favourable decision on Fanene?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

No Welker and an old QB is not a good way to start any season no matter how much cap room the pats may have.

Just saying.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Hey king- How are ya!?

Still answering posts about the pats with questions about the Jets...in a pats Forum?

I've been gone for a week and your obsession with everything NY Jets has only grown stronger I see.Anybody else besides the closet Jets fan care to chime in?

No Welker and old QB at the helm...tsk tsk tsk.It was only a 2 million $$ difference and you guys are saying there is 7 to 9 mill still available?!

Still shaking our heads over that one huh?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Who cares! Just write a check for whatever and buy as many players as possible every other year!   Mt Hurl and RKarp told me that was the way to seeing a SB winner. Yay!

Thanks for again putting words in my mouth that I never, ever said. I have never been an advocate for undisciplined spending. However, I do see merit in financial flexibility when it comes to addressing a lingering need that over the course of 2-3 years has been addressed, but never fixed. Sometimes going that extra $1-2m is well worth spending. 

For a guy who keeps telling me you are so smart, for the life of me I don't see why you miss this point EVERY DAY? 

I 100% understand and agree with the philosophy, but isn't it clear as day that the Pats struck out last year in free agency, and the same problems exist? Shouldn't some degree of flexibility be used? That does not mean I want the Pats to go out and sign Mario Williams, Julius Pepers or Revis, or anything close to that. But if that is one side of the extreme, isn't aging, past the prime or coming off injury players the other side of the extreme? 

No one has, or ever will know the exact particulars, but Reiss has speculated that the Pats knew Demps most likely was not going to be here. They wanted to sign Woody. Woody wanted to sign here. The Pats have an injury prone RB in Vereen, a one time suspended PED user in Bolden as depth behind Ridley. Reiss said the Pats missed out on Woody for $500k. IMO that is bad policy and a solid case for short sighted ness by BB. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

I agree with Rkarp-BB hasn't won anything in years. Why you all put up with BB and his short sidedness is beyond me?

One of the greatest examples of all time is what he did to Welker.It will go down in history as one of the worst moves ever.

Manning to Welker. Get used to it gang.I think I'm going to switch my name to just that!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

king-You're all worked up-Slow down - Deep breaths...that's it.

Now try to rewrite your last post in the Kings English...thanks

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to JRABBB's comment:

I agree with Rkarp-BB hasn't won anything in years. Why you all put up with BB and his short sidedness is beyond me?

One of the greatest examples of all time is what he did to Welker.It will go down in history as one of the worst moves ever.

Manning to Welker. Get used to it gang.I think I'm going to switch my name to just that!

I can understand and agree moving on from Welker. At this time, I don't think that the WR group is as strong as last year, and I hope more is to come. But it also would not surprise me to see Amendola, Edelman and Jones along with Slater and a rookie as next years group. 

I think the defense needs more attention, with added CB depth, more DL depth and another LB ( I always liked Carpenter and surprised he wasn't picked up last year)

I am also concerned about cap space, and see about $1.75 with Fells sitting there, with the assumption he is the 5th TE on a 4 TE roster.

I also see the comments about a "big" move involving Mallett, but he is at a low salary, and trading him for a DL that makes more than him, and finding a back up QB with experience will also stress the cap...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Who cares! Just write a check for whatever and buy as many players as possible every other year!   Mt Hurl and RKarp told me that was the way to seeing a SB winner. Yay!

Thanks for again putting words in my mouth that I never, ever said. I have never been an advocate for undisciplined spending. However, I do see merit in financial flexibility when it comes to addressing a lingering need that over the course of 2-3 years has been addressed, but never fixed. Sometimes going that extra $1-2m is well worth spending. 

For a guy who keeps telling me you are so smart, for the life of me I don't see why you miss this point EVERY DAY? 

I 100% understand and agree with the philosophy, but isn't it clear as day that the Pats struck out last year in free agency, and the same problems exist? Shouldn't some degree of flexibility be used? That does not mean I want the Pats to go out and sign Mario Williams, Julius Pepers or Revis, or anything close to that. But if that is one side of the extreme, isn't aging, past the prime or coming off injury players the other side of the extreme? 

No one has, or ever will know the exact particulars, but Reiss has speculated that the Pats knew Demps most likely was not going to be here. They wanted to sign Woody. Woody wanted to sign here. The Pats have an injury prone RB in Vereen, a one time suspended PED user in Bolden as depth behind Ridley. Reiss said the Pats missed out on Woody for $500k. IMO that is bad policy and a solid case for short sighted ness by BB. 

I agree RKarp. another example is CB. Now I didn't think A$ante was a great CB but certainly a starting caliber #2 CB. Since he left the Pats have spent how many resources trying to find an acceptable replacement?

• 3 2nd round picks (Wheatley, Butler, Ras)
    • 1 1st round pick (McCourty)
    • 2 4th round picks (Wilhite, Talib)
    • Millions in contracts (Bodden, Lewis, Webster, Springs)

There is a point where saving some money short term hurts the term if you can't find a replacement long term

Another example is 06' did spending money on 2 WR's (Cadwell, Gabriel) instead of resigning Branch only really make it worth it? Could we have dealt with not having a Poteat or Hawkins or Chad Scott or Don Davis and kept Givens? Sometimes there is no way around it, that you have to pay to keep the talent level up. I mean we weren't even talking huge contracts here. Givens who was your #2 WR went for a mid grade WR money and you replaced him with Bam Childress? That's short sighted

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Coming from a Jet fan that makes 3 of us in the conversation!J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!!!

Name calling(trolls) and personal attacks are never responded to. I find them both cowardly and infantile at the same time.

Now back to pats football. Why not give Welker the exrta 2 million when the pats still have 7 to 9 mill to play with??

Hey king- I actually read your last post. That's a first for me. Not once do you bring up the fact that maybe some of the reson why the pats offense looked not so hot late in the year was Brady and his performance..He played himself right out of MVP contention and laid an egg against the Ravens.

Lets put away all the nonsensical Jets talk in a pats forum shall we an address Brady...just once.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I agree RKarp. another example is CB. Now I didn't think A$ante was a great CB but certainly a starting caliber #2 CB. Since he left the Pats have spent how many resources trying to find an acceptable replacement?

• 3 2nd round picks (Wheatley, Butler, Ras)
    • 1 1st round pick (McCourty)
    • 2 4th round picks (Wilhite, Talib)
    • Millions in contracts (Bodden, Lewis, Webster, Springs)

There is a point where saving some money short term hurts the term if you can't find a replacement long term

Another example is 06' did spending money on 2 WR's (Cadwell, Gabriel) instead of resigning Branch only really make it worth it? Could we have dealt with not having a Poteat or Hawkins or Chad Scott or Don Davis and kept Givens? Sometimes there is no way around it, that you have to pay to keep the talent level up. I mean we weren't even talking huge contracts here. Givens who was your #2 WR went for a mid grade WR money and you replaced him with Bam Childress? That's short sighted

With regards to the 2008 or 2009 CB moves, the market was exploding and there is no way BB was going to cave into it with Samuel's bloated deal.

Bodden was a GREAT signing and he had a great 2009. 

What does 2008 or 2009 have to do with 2013 anyway? Plus, our offense has run its course and has SUCKED worse than the young, rebuilt D in these playoffs.

They couldn't pay Branch what he wanted in 2006. Well documented. Branch said he regretted it when he returned here. He wanted #1 WR money which is clearly ridiculous. The contention was his SB MVP commanded it, but as we've seen it has a lot to do with Brady and what BB provides here as GM than it does one WR's skills. Wes Welker just learned that lesson 2 weeks ago.

You're a hypocrite David Givens went to Tenn and never played a season for them.

Bottome line is, PatsEng, you have gone over the edge since Welker left here and now you've gone to the Irrational side of the table.  Enjoy being a whiny pink helmet. Fans like you will not deserve to see this team win a SB.

Absolutely pathetic considering how spoiled Brady has been here with weapons since 2007 and his subpar play in postseasons.

Relatively speaking, Brady's postseason play hasn't been subpar. When compared to his recent regular season performances there has been a dropoff, but when compared to his '01, '03, '04 playoff performances, the numbers are nearly indentical.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Not to rain on anybodies parade but do you people really think that Brady has another SB run in him??

Not the other players ...just Brady?Please try to be as non bias as I am when responding.Personally I don't see it. I knew the pats weren't going anywhere close to the SB after watching Brady late in the year last year.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts