Cap hits for the future

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Cap hits for the future

In looking up the salary cap hits for Thomas, I decided to spread a few (other) amounts out into the forum; make people aware of where the team is taking the biggest (salary cap) hits.

Thomas

2010: $ 9,407,280
    2011: $10,408,120
    2012: UFA

Moss

2010: $10,507,280
    2011: UFA

Brady

2010: $10,226,720
    2011: UFA

http://patscap.com/futureyears.html

Hypothetically, if Thomas is gone, after this year, the Pats should have more flexibility.  Likewise, if something were to happen with Moss (i.e. trade; etc...).  Of course, Brady is up for negotiation shortly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Re: Cap hits for the future

In Response to Cap hits for the future:
    [QUOTE]In looking up the salary cap hits for Thomas, I decided to spread a few (other) amounts out into the forum; make people aware of where the team is taking the biggest (salary cap) hits. Thomas 2010: $ 9,407,280 2011: $10,408,120 2012: UFA   Moss 2010: $10,507,280 2011: UFA Brady 2010: $10,226,720 2011: UFA http://patscap.com/futureyears.html Hypothetically, if Thomas is gone, after this year, the Pats should have more flexibility.  Likewise, if something were to happen with Moss (i.e. trade; etc...).  Of course, Brady is up for negotiation shortly.
    Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE]

If 2010 is uncapped there are no consequences for cutting Thomas.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I have to think that they will resign Moss if they are able too...that deal has just worked out too well for both sides. You can call him a slacker if you want, but the fact is that the guy leads the NFL in receiving yards and has 9 TDs. With the four teams in front of the Pats I could see him finishing with 1400+ yards and 13-15 TDs...not too shabby.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I think the official 2010 season begins in March?  It's somewhere around then.  It's very unlikely we'll see a new agreement forged by then.  2010 will be uncapped.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Moss goes no where. If you can tank it and still play so well you must be the greatest person at your craft, ever! He isn't tanking. The Media needs to STFU!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Re: Cap hits for the future:
    Moss goes no where. If you can tank it and still play so well you must be the greatest person at your craft, ever! He isn't tanking. The Media needs to STFU!
    Posted by 49Patriots

Personally, I don't have anything against Moss.  In fact, I was a supporter of his (on the forums) when the Pats acquired him.  FYI: I only listed him with Thomas and Brady to bring out the cap hits now and in the near future.  IMO, this shows how Thomas is one of the highest paid Patriots on the team- right up there with Brady/Moss.

Of course, when Moss's contract is up, we'll see where it all leads.  I would much like to see him regain some magic, but I would suspect that the team would need to acquire some more WR's and a TE.  Perhaps, they could finiance this by getting rid of Thomas and acquiring another Mayo in the draft?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Here are the top 10 Salary Cap hits 2010

Moss                   10,507,280

Brady                  10.226,720

Adalius                 9,407,280

Ty Warren            5,490,000

Dan Koppen           5,006,000

Matt light              4,206,000

Welker                  4,232,280

Nick Kackzur          3,583,000

Shawn Springs       3,257,000

Sanders                2,982,000

Are the Guys I underlined earning thier pay?
    I think a couple get cut next year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

the short answer is HELL NO! and that is why we are struggling.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Kaczur making more than Mankins?  That's not right.

Light, Thomas, Springs and Neal I think are gone next year.  Maybe add Sanders to that crowd as well.  Do we need 4 safties?  Resigning Wilfork will be a priority.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I'm still not convinced the owners will let 2010 happen without a cap.  While a work stoppage would be foolish for an industry that makes billions of $$, the owners know it will be tough to get the players assoc. to sign on a new deal once they get to play a yr without a cap.

Having said that, what would Adalius cost next yr against a potential cap if he were cut??  In looking at his contract terms, his 2010 and 2011 salaries are listed at $4.9 mil and then 5.9 mil while his cap hits are listed at $9.4 mil and 10.4 mil.  That additional 4.5 mil cap hit each yr is probably the prorated signing bonus which would lead me to believe they would have to eat the full $9 mil on the cap next yr if he's cut and there is a cap.

Does this sound about right??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

I'm still not convinced the owners will let 2010 happen without a cap.  While a work stoppage would be foolish for an industry that makes billions of $$, the owners know it will be tough to get the players assoc. to sign on a new deal once they get to play a yr without a cap. Having said that, what would Adalius cost next yr against a potential cap if he were cut??  In looking at his contract terms, his 2010 and 2011 salaries are listed at $4.9 mil and then 5.9 mil while his cap hits are listed at $9.4 mil and 10.4 mil.  That additional 4.5 mil cap hit each yr is probably the prorated signing bonus which would lead me to believe they would have to eat the full $9 mil on the cap next yr if he's cut and there is a cap. Does this sound about right??
    Posted by siestafiesta

I personally believe that many of the owners may in fact want/look forward to a potential uncapped year in the NFL because it gives them the opportunity to cut bloated salaries not to mention use the franchise tag on two players (if need be) without limiting what a team could do financially against a cap.

I for one believe that should 2010 be uncapped, Jemarcus Russell will be booted out Oakland faster than the blink of an eye.  Likewise, I think Adalius Thomas, Shawn Springs, & Nick Naczur have cap casualty written on each of their foreheads.  The Jets will probably say goodby to Vernon Ghoston etc....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

I'm sick of the cap, I don't want one anymore. Im tired of seeing players that have developed in the Patriots system walk away to be paid more somewher else because of the "Cap" It's un-American. I don't care about other teams. let them figure out away to make money to pay players. good ex: Ralph Wilson, had the opportunity to sell to a weathly up-state NY business man. but no, its much easier to take money  from other owners. Would't it gall you to have to give you're hard earned profits to a COMPETITOR!!  who then uses it to grab your players. 

To think that the Patriots have to decide whether to keep Wilfork or Mankins !!??  Just Stupid!   And it's not working anyway look at all the lousy teams this year!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I could see a scenario where the Pats cut, Adalius, Kaczur (draft RT) and Springs. And Yes I know the possibility of an uncapped year is looming. I never thought extending Kaczur was a good idea, Springs is old and has not played much, AD's cap hit is too big. Signing Wilfork (are best defensive player) and Mankins (our best OLineman) should be major priorities. I would also think that BB and Kraft will make some quality pick-ups on the FA market if there is an uncapped year.

And a look at the 2010 Free Agent LBs...The Cowpokes wisely chose to extend Ware.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/lb.html

The question is do we get a rush OLB or one that is good in coverage or both. Both ideally, but I have to believe that a rush OLB either via the draft or free agency would be the third priority after Mankins and Wilfork are signed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Cap hits for the future:
    [QUOTE]In looking up the salary cap hits for Thomas, I decided to spread a few (other) amounts out into the forum; make people aware of where the team is taking the biggest (salary cap) hits. Thomas 2010: $ 9,407,280 2011: $10,408,120 2012: UFA   Moss 2010: $10,507,280 2011: UFA Brady 2010: $10,226,720 2011: UFA http://patscap.com/futureyears.html Hypothetically, if Thomas is gone, after this year, the Pats should have more flexibility.  Likewise, if something were to happen with Moss (i.e. trade; etc...).  Of course, Brady is up for negotiation shortly.
    Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE] With a 13 millon cap hit,i doubt there would be flexability.unless there is an uncapped year,but i beleive it all gets settled and there wont be one.

http://patscap.com/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sick of the cap, I don't want one anymore. Im tired of seeing players that have developed in the Patriots system walk away to be paid more somewher else because of the "Cap" It's un-American. I don't care about other teams. let them figure out away to make money to pay players. good ex: Ralph Wilson, had the opportunity to sell to a weathly up-state NY business man. but no, its much easier to take money  from other owners. Would't it gall you to have to give you're hard earned profits to a COMPETITOR!!  who then uses it to grab your players.  To think that the Patriots have to decide whether to keep Wilfork or Mankins !!??  Just Stupid!   And it's not working anyway look at all the lousy teams this year!
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]
    I disagree, but I am one of those small market teams that could not compete.  So take my comments for what they are worth. 

Removing the salary cap in my opinion will create exactly the system that we have in MLB.  it is understandable that a boston fan would have no problem with this given the fact that the sox are one of those large market teams that spends like a sailor on shore leave. 

As I see it, in professional sports, if you are going to have a league, it should at least be set up in a way that gives every team an opportunity to be competitive.  MLB is not set up that way, and that is why we never see teams like KC, Cin, Mil, Pit, etc being successful anymore. 

A professional sports league is not an industry like every other industry.  If it was then anyone could start a team and build it as successfully as they could and would be allowed to compete head to head against other teams in that league.    But that opportunity does not exist.  

The salary cap and revenue sharing allows teams like Indianapolis to maintain a competitive team not at the expense of a New York or Boston.  Without these things (imo), Indy, Cincy, KC, Ten, etc, etc. would not be able to compete.

I think the most interesting leagues (and I really don't know much about them) are the soccer leagues in Europe.  Each country seems to have 2 or 3 tiers of professional leagues that are intertwined.  The worst in the higher league (i think) get sent down a rung to the lower league in the following year while the best in the lower league(s) get to move up a league.  Very interesting.  Please anyone correct me where I am wrong. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap hits for the future : I disagree, but I am one of those small market teams that could not compete.  So take my comments for what they are worth.  Removing the salary cap in my opinion will create exactly the system that we have in MLB.  it is understandable that a boston fan would have no problem with this given the fact that the sox are one of those large market teams that spends like a sailor on shore leave.  As I see it, in professional sports, if you are going to have a league, it should at least be set up in a way that gives every team an opportunity to be competitive.  MLB is not set up that way, and that is why we never see teams like KC, Cin, Mil, Pit, etc being successful anymore.  A professional sports league is not an industry like every other industry.  If it was then anyone could start a team and build it as successfully as they could and would be allowed to compete head to head against other teams in that league.    But that opportunity does not exist.   The salary cap and revenue sharing allows teams like Indianapolis to maintain a competitive team not at the expense of a New York or Boston.  Without these things (imo), Indy, Cincy, KC, Ten, etc, etc. would not be able to compete. I think the most interesting leagues (and I really don't know much about them) are the soccer leagues in Europe.  Each country seems to have 2 or 3 tiers of professional leagues that are intertwined.  The worst in the higher league (i think) get sent down a rung to the lower league in the following year while the best in the lower league(s) get to move up a league.  Very interesting.  Please anyone correct me where I am wrong. 
    Posted by underdoggg[/QUOTE]

Well the owners are pulling the plug on revenue sharing already

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4718965

So that is the first step, im sure Peyton won't mind taking less to keep players around him, or will he. It cost a lot less money to live in your area than Boston NY and other major areas. Peyton makes more money than  Brady always has even during the SB years. I'm sure Kraft is just thrilled to give his money away so Peyton can grab more.  Sorry no sympathy for you at all. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

And BTW the only way to stop Revenue sharing is in a no contract year. No way an agreement is reached by the owners in 2010. They want to start over.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuckfairbanks. Show chuckfairbanks's posts

"Would't it gall you to have to give you're hard earned profits to a COMPETITOR"

The NFL is anti-competitive by nature.  Don't think so?  Try setting up your own team.  It's a monopoly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I like the Cap, I won't watch if it goes away.  Look for Jerry Jones to sign these players if it goes away.

Manning
    Peterson
    Moss
    Welker
    Revis

It's an exaggeration but look for the Cowboys to become the Yankees.  Larger market teams can compete if they want to pay.  Colts will probably be OK until they decline then they will never return once the money is down. 

There will be no minimum either, teams can put a crew of league minimum guys on the field,  2010 could get complicated though.  If a team signs 200 million worth of players what happens if the year after is capped at 130 million?

Can you break those contracts?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap hits for the future : Well the owners are pulling the plug on revenue sharing already http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4718965 So that is the first step, im sure Peyton won't mind taking less to keep players around him, or will he. It cost a lot less money to live in your area than Boston NY and other major areas. Peyton makes more money than  Brady always has even during the SB years. I'm sure Kraft is just thrilled to give his money away so Peyton can grab more.  Sorry no sympathy for you at all. 
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

Yep - am aware of the rev share thing.  Don't like it.  Peyton has (like Brady) reworked his contract in the past to accomodate other player contracts.  And while the cost of living in NY and Bos may be higher, at the income levels these guys earn, its a good living regardless of where you live.  Finally, if Kraft was giving away all of his money not sure how he could keep a team on the field. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

There's not a lot of revenue sharing as it is. The best thing for pro football is to keep the cap but bump it way up so teams like Dallas and Washington can go on spending sprees.

Also, why do we need the Jacksonville Jaguars and Buffalo Bills?! When professional sports expand it just dilutes the talent. Wouldn't everyone like to have those teams best players? Wouldn't it be an incentive to current players to play harder if there weren't as many teams to go to? Right now you can be like Adalius and open your mouth because you know you can go to the Jaguars, Bills, Browns or Raiders whenever things go bad. Add Tampa Bay to that list.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap hits for the future : Yep - am aware of the rev share thing.  Don't like it.  Peyton has (like Brady) reworked his contract in the past to accomodate other player contracts.  And while the cost of living in NY and Bos may be higher, at the income levels these guys earn, its a good living regardless of where you live.  Finally, if Kraft was giving away all of his money not sure how he could keep a team on the field. 
    Posted by underdoggg[/QUOTE]

I didn't say ALL his money doggg-e-dooo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap hits for the future : I didn't say ALL his money doggg-e-dooo
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

No need to take it off Game, Pats will destroy the panthers in Titan like fashion! Belichick has sent the message and so has Brady. They had to lite a fire under some bum bums and we will see the results.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cap hits for the future : No need to take it off Game, Pats will destroy the panthers in Titan like fashion! Belichick has sent the message and so has Brady. They had to lite a fire under some bum bums and we will see the results.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Do you know Champ when I came back to read the messages my quote was gone!!  Do you think they found that suggestive!!  Really I'll probably get  banned for posting it again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]Here are the top 10 Salary Cap hits 2010 Moss                   10,507,280 Brady                  10.226,720 Adalius                 9,407,280 Ty Warren            5,490,000 Dan Koppen           5,006,000 Matt light              4,206,000 Welker                  4,232,280 Nick Kackzur          3,583,000 Shawn Springs       3,257,000 Sanders                2,982,000 Are the Guys I underlined earning thier pay? I think a couple get cut next year.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

So, who on this list is necessary?  Who is a drag on the team?

Hypothetically, if the team could free just two of these (e.g. Thomas and Springs) one way or another, they would have flexibility; could add (hopefully) positive personnel.

Sections
Shortcuts