Cap Space Remaining

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Cap Space Remaining

2. The Patriots currently have $4.188 million in cap space, according to NFL Players Association tabulations. Cap space can be rolled into the following season, and the team is always going to want to leave itself some wiggle room for in-season signings. Those are factors to consider when it comes to possible contract extensions with players on the roster; if an extension is going to result in taking up more salary cap space, it might make sense for the team to wait a bit longer. - Per Reiss

There has been a few posters antagonizing BB for being cheap, but when considering there is only $4mill left with McCourty, Talib and Spikes about to hit FA -- you cannot spend every dime.  

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Cap Space Remaining

I don't think anyone who understands the semantics of operating with in a salary cap would say "cheap". IMO there have been too many over reaches on veteren players that simply haven't panned out. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I believe mistakes have been made on how the money has been spent the past few seasons.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

First thought, is that's a ton of cap space. Looking forward you have Wilfork with a massive base that can be adjusted with an extension or release. To the point where you should have enough funds to resign at least 2 of the players you mentioned just from Wilforks contract. Not to mention given Talib's hip issue if it doesn't improve it might be wise to let him leave if they can't get him for something extremely reasonable (and something tells me not a whole lots of teams will be tossing money at him). It also makes me wonder about some of the misques that could have been avoided. $4 mil is a lot of money but pales in comparison to the amount of money spent on players that didn't even help this year. Lloyd, Fanene, Ocho, A. Wilson, Ras-I right there is $10mil for what? I'm not even going to look at Hern because honestly who could have seen that coming but there's quite a bit of headscratchers. Then you look at contracts given out like Arrington where you wonder why he got so much as such an inconsistent player. In all honesty I do think the funds could have been better utilized and there are always tricks to gain extra cap when big contracts are coming to there end (see Wilfork and Mankins deals) so when I read something like this and realize that a little extra here or there on depth could have helped, esp this injury prone season, you have to figure in was the money spent the last couple of offseasons spent wisely, does not carrying that money forward actually hurt them because they can't work around contracts later, and most importantly would spending the money this year give them a better chance at winning or not make a big enough difference?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think anyone who understands the semantics of operating with in a salary cap would say "cheap". IMO there have been too many over reaches on veteren players that simply haven't panned out. 

[/QUOTE]

Still shaking my head on Arrington. I was shocked when I heard about the initial extension and have seen nothing this year to warrant his current salary. He's not even an above average slot corner IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

the cap number is going to be bigger next season?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No

[/QUOTE]

I thought the cap would rise in 2014, but thank u rkarp

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

it might slightly but not a ton. 15' is the big jump

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

it might slightly but not a ton. 15' is the big jump

[/QUOTE]

oh thank u for the info.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

Anyone know if the 7.5 million for Hernandez is still on the books for next year or is this something Kraft may be able to reduce or eliminate due to the extenuating circumstances?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anyone know if the 7.5 million for Hernandez is still on the books for next year or is this something Kraft may be able to reduce or eliminate due to the extenuating circumstances?

[/QUOTE]

Yes 7.5 on the books

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes 7.5 on the books

[/QUOTE]

Ouch! That's gonna hurt.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think the other thing to look at in this type of discussion is how the money would have been spent. For instance a number of people thought it was a mistake not resigning Woodhead. The difference this year between him and his replacement (Washington) is about $.7 mil. Now would you argue that that extra $.7mil wouldn't have been better spent on Woodhead vs Washington. In otherwords price per production, though Woodhead would have cost more his cost per production is much much lower than Washington. Would adding more to Sanders offer have gotten him here? Could that extra spent make a difference of having Sanders, Amendola, Dobson right now vs what is currently on the field and would that give us a better chance at winning this year? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Miguel had a post on another forum about incentives and it looks like this will all be eaten up by years end.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Still shaking my head on Arrington. I was shocked when I heard about the initial extension and have seen nothing this year to warrant his current salary. He's not even an above average slot corner IMO.

[/QUOTE]

I agree but hold on for those who think he is the best or one of the best slot covers in the league. Simply not true.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Hilarious reading these guys reactions to Getzo's post. The best yet is, "that's a ton of cap space". Too damn funny!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Expect huge pay cuts for Vince and Mayo.  That will free up a lot of space.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Things can change quickly depending on how well the postseason goes.

One byproduct of all the injuries is all the guys who have stepped in to fill the void.  So, next year when VW, Kelly, Mayo, Vollmer, etc. return healthy BB will have some decisions to make.  You can't keep everyone.  Maybe he'll let a vet go like he did with Lawyer Milloy, or swing a trade like he did with Vrabel.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Out of everything I have read... every GM has made signing mistakes, and have misfired and what have you...

However, Pats still have some room to spare and built good depth a long the way even with their mistakes.  That's what sets them apart here.

Not sure I understand the disagreement of BB's ability to manage the cap... top notch.  IMO, only Welker walking away is the only glaring mistake, but again I think there was more to that situation than we know.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Expect huge pay cuts for Vince and Mayo.  That will free up a lot of space.

[/QUOTE]

Mayo sux

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hilarious reading these guys reactions to Getzo's post. The best yet is, "that's a ton of cap space". Too damn funny!

[/QUOTE]

Maybe you don't know how caps work but $4mil is a ton of cap space. For perspective that's 3-4 players worth of value signings or 2-3 players worth of actual players. What's hilarious is that your don't grasp how contracts can be arranged in manners which allow people to say $4mil is a ton

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Miguel had a post on another forum about incentives and it looks like this will all be eaten up by years end.

[/QUOTE]

Although possible that would mean a lot of players would earn unlikely to be earned incentives which means a ton of players are playing over their heads currently. The likely to be earned incentives are already accounted for in the cap so not sure which Miguel would be referring to.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think you have to look ahead to the offseason as well, to determine whether that's a lot of cap space or not.  How tight to the cap will they end up being next year with the salaries of players they want to keep?  A lot of contracts are backloaded, so they become more costly each year.  The Pats can't think just about this year, they also need to consider what happens during the offseason.  Being too tight to the cap now could force one or two cuts they don't want to make or might constrain them from making as many free agent signings as they'd like. You can't look at the cap solely from the perspective of this season.  You need to look at least into next season too, since your decisions this year may have consequences for what you can do in the offseason to get ready for next year. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think you have to look ahead to the offseason as well, to determine whether that's a lot of cap space or not.  How tight to the cap will they end up being next year with the salaries of players they want to keep?  A lot of contracts are backloaded, so they become more costly each year.  The Pats can't think just about this year, they also need to consider what happens during the offseason.  Being too tight to the cap now could force one or two cuts they don't want to make or might constrain them from making as many free agent signings as they'd like. You can't look at the cap solely from the perspective of this season.  You need to look at least into next season too, since your decisions this year may have consequences for what you can do in the offseason to get ready for next year. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but you can also look at backloaded deals as possible ways to get extra space. For instance Wilfork has a whopping $7.5mil in base salary. It would such to lose Wilfork but lets say they extend him instead for an additional 3 years with that $7.5 base turning to gauranteed funds and spread over the extension then suddenly that $11.6mil cap hit is now $6.1. You just freed up $5.5mil to add to that $4mil. You look at Mankins who has $6.5mil in base but because he's signed through 2015 cutting him would only save $2mil so you do something similar as Wilfork extended a couple years gaurantee the base for this year spread over and there is an extra $3mil for one of the more stable and healthy players on the team. Now you are up to $12mil. You cut your loses with Connolly who's play has suddenly dropped and that saves you $2.5mil so now you're at 14.5mil. Cut A. Wilson who didn't provide anything this year anyways and you are at $15mil. Right there is $15mil to work with and you only really lost 1 player from this year in Connolly, who has been underperforming and should be replaced anyways. With $15mil you can sign a whole bunch of players. Don't forget 15' the cap expands so you can arrange the contracts where the major hit doesn't take place until after the cap expands and you will have the Hern hit coming off the books which is another $7.5mil. Hence $4mil is a ton of money and they are in a good position moving forward to the point were if that $4mil is gone it won't over hurt them moving forward or if they do have it it's nice but only if it doesn't cost them a chance to win it this year.

Sections
Shortcuts