Cap Space Remaining

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Cap Space Remaining

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I agree, but you can also look at backloaded deals as possible ways to get extra space. For instance Wilfork has a whopping $7.5mil in base salary. It would such to lose Wilfork but lets say they extend him instead for an additional 3 years with that $7.5 base turning to gauranteed funds and spread over the extension then suddenly that $11.6mil cap hit is now $6.1. You just freed up $5.5mil to add to that $4mil. You look at Mankins who has $6.5mil in base but because he's signed through 2015 cutting him would only save $2mil so you do something similar as Wilfork extended a couple years gaurantee the base for this year spread over and there is an extra $3mil for one of the more stable and healthy players on the team. Now you are up to $12mil. You cut your loses with Connolly who's play has suddenly dropped and that saves you $2.5mil so now you're at 14.5mil. Cut A. Wilson who didn't provide anything this year anyways and you are at $15mil. Right there is $15mil to work with and you only really lost 1 player from this year in Connolly, who has been underperforming and should be replaced anyways. With $15mil you can sign a whole bunch of players. Don't forget 15' the cap expands so you can arrange the contracts where the major hit doesn't take place until after the cap expands and you will have the Hern hit coming off the books which is another $7.5mil. Hence $4mil is a ton of money and they are in a good position moving forward to the point were if that $4mil is gone it won't over hurt them moving forward or if they do have it it's nice but only if it doesn't cost them a chance to win it this year.

[/QUOTE]

Agree there's lots they could do to ease cap pressure. It's just whether they want to do all those things or prefer to keep a bit of space available. At this point in the season, signing additional veterans to cover for any other major injuries could also eat into that $4 million pretty quickly.  According to the NFLPA, the average team has $6 million in cap space left, so the Pats are now on the lower side of the league average. The average is skewed a bit because a few teams have lots of space, but 19 teams have less cap space than the Pats and 12 more.  So Pats are just a bit above the median. 

Also, I'm still not sure how the carry over rule works (CBA wording is ambiguous).  The Pats had about $5 million in carryover space.  I believe all of this remaining cap room is now carry over room.  So there's a question whether it can be carried over another year or not.  I'm not sure. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Quick-hit thoughts around the NFL and with the New England Patriots[+] EnlargG

1. One of the trickle-down effects of Patriots safety Devin McCourty's Pro Bowl-type season through nine games is that his 2014 salary is going to spike considerably. As part of the five-year deal he signed as a rookie in 2010, McCourty had $3.2 million in "escalators" for the 2014 season. He's already earned an additional $50,000 for next season, bumping his base salary up to $920,000, and if things continue on their current course the salary will ultimately be closer to $3.5 to $4 million. While that is still a manageable figure from a team perspective, and might even be viewed as a bargainwhen compared to one top-of-the-market deal, one figures it would still spark talks at some point within the next 6-9 months on a possible contract extension. McCourty is clearly a foundation-type player, so the question from here would be more "when," not "if," in terms of making it happen. 

2. The Patriots currently have $4.188 million in cap space, according to NFL Players Association tabulations. Cap space can be rolled into the following season, and the team is always going to want to leave itself some wiggle room for in-season signings. Those are factors to consider when it comes to possible contract extensions with players on the roster; if an extension is going to result in taking up more salary cap space, it might make sense for the team to wait a bit longer. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Couple of comments:

1) I've read the CBA section on the cap and carryover multiple times.  I've decided that I will defer to the people who actually interpret the cap for a living on how to apply it.

2) I've read seemingly legion threads on this board about how the Pats could have done this and shouldn't have done that and what the cap consequences are for the decisions that the team has made. I've decided that, given that managing the salary cap comprises at least one full time well compensated and highly competent staff member of BB's staff, I'll defer to them, fan boy that I am.

I know it's part of being a fan but it is truly comical to suggest that anyone on this board really does know better than one of the most successfulf franchises in the business on how to manage the cap. 

My humble 2 cents.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Couple of comments:

1) I've read the CBA section on the cap and carryover multiple times.  I've decided that I will defer to the people who actually interpret the cap for a living on how to apply it.

2) I've read seemingly legion threads on this board about how the Pats could have done this and shouldn't have done that and what the cap consequences are for the decisions that the team has made. I've decided that, given that managing the salary cap comprises at least one full time well compensated and highly competent staff member of BB's staff, I'll defer to them, fan boy that I am.

I know it's part of being a fan but it is truly comical to suggest that anyone on this board really does know better than one of the most successfulf franchises in the business on how to manage the cap. 

My humble 2 cents.

In some ways the CBA is a remarkably poorly written legal document.  That section in particular is clear as mud.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I do understand the cap. I also think any kudos for cap management has to start with the Brady contracts (twice). If not for Brady, this team would be in quite the quandry with the cap imo.

Pats Eng, I understand what you are saying regarding the re structure for Vince, but I think you are getting into dangerous waters extending Vince into his 36th year. No one has any idea of what the cap will look like down the road. Certainly it will jump, but how much?

Connolly, Soap, Gregory and AWilson stick out to me for cuts creating approx $9M in cap space, but they do have to be replaced. Ditto Wendell.

I do think the team has as priority #1 and 2 DMC and Wendell. I also think Connolly takes a restructure, and stays. He can play effectively 3 OL spots. I do not think they resign Talib, too much $$$ out there for him that the Pats will not match. I think the team has to be careful on a Vince deal. I dont want to be paying him in years 35 and 36. I dont think Mankins agrees to a restructure without paying him top 5 guard $$$, and I question if he is worth that. The team is going to be tight against the cap next year. there is no way around it, but they seem to be realizing that and planning for that with this years roster being so young, and contract controlled for the next few years

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I agree with Eng on this. 4.188 is a pretty good leftover to have in cap space. 

Every GM has bad signings. The dead money upsets me, but not nearly as much as the Mankins contract. That one hurts us Unless he starts playing like he use to. 10m is still too much to pay for a good run blocking Guard. 

Something has to be done about wilfork s contract. He is the other big chunk. 

Question...who would you rather give 7m to...wilfork or Talib? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to Getzo's comment:

Out of everything I have read... every GM has made signing mistakes, and have misfired and what have you...

However, Pats still have some room to spare and built good depth a long the way even with their mistakes.  That's what sets them apart here.

Not sure I understand the disagreement of BB's ability to manage the cap... top notch.  IMO, only Welker walking away is the only glaring mistake, but again I think there was more to that situation than we know.  

The people who say he isn't good aren't very intelligent, ignorant and/or don't get it. So, they feel insecure, don't ask questions to those who can help clarify, and then they last out in anger due to frustration or an insecurity of not understanding it.

The person who says Brady is the reason for not winning a SB in 10+ years are the unintelligent ones.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

Anyone know if the 7.5 million for Hernandez is still on the books for next year or is this something Kraft may be able to reduce or eliminate due to the extenuating circumstances?

Yes 7.5 on the books

Ouch! That's gonna hurt.

It's certainly not good troll, but considering who they have on the roster, the emergence of Dobson, Thompkins and maybe keeping Edelman, they've already budgeted for it. Gronk's cap hit is low in 2014 (as it is in 2015), so the mid field money allocated is already forecasted.

If Dobson or Thompkins falter, then it's a different discussion.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/rob-gronkowski/

Is 8.65 million in 2015 low? Also settle down and stop your name calling.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I do understand the cap. I also think any kudos for cap management has to start with the Brady contracts (twice). If not for Brady, this team would be in quite the quandry with the cap imo.

Pats Eng, I understand what you are saying regarding the re structure for Vince, but I think you are getting into dangerous waters extending Vince into his 36th year. No one has any idea of what the cap will look like down the road. Certainly it will jump, but how much?

Connolly, Soap, Gregory and AWilson stick out to me for cuts creating approx $9M in cap space, but they do have to be replaced. Ditto Wendell.

I do think the team has as priority #1 and 2 DMC and Wendell. I also think Connolly takes a restructure, and stays. He can play effectively 3 OL spots. I do not think they resign Talib, too much $$$ out there for him that the Pats will not match. I think the team has to be careful on a Vince deal. I dont want to be paying him in years 35 and 36. I dont think Mankins agrees to a restructure without paying him top 5 guard $$$, and I question if he is worth that. The team is going to be tight against the cap next year. there is no way around it, but they seem to be realizing that and planning for that with this years roster being so young, and contract controlled for the next few years

Brady was wildly overpaid in 2011 and 2012.   Wildly.

You're a freaken morana and a liar. 

2011=13m, 2012=8m  It would have been high in 2013 and 14 had he not restructured AGAIN.

TB, Constantly bailing out BB.  Constantly!!!

Thank you TB!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Need some extra dough?  How about $7M?

Brandon Lloyd $3,500,000 Jon Fanene $2,566,667

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Sadly Lloyd might have helped the team this year. Even though he didn't do anything great just having that stable vet earlier in the season could have made the difference in the Cin and Jets game. So, the money wasn't the only thing it cost them, not to mention if he was on the team his cap hit would have been lower than the dead money it cost them. Of course we don't know the locker room story so it might have been worth the extra cost just to not have him in the locker room

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Sadly Lloyd might have helped the team this year. Even though he didn't do anything great just having that stable vet earlier in the season could have made the difference in the Cin and Jets game. So, the money wasn't the only thing it cost them, not to mention if he was on the team his cap hit would have been lower than the dead money it cost them. Of course we don't know the locker room story so it might have been worth the extra cost just to not have him in the locker room

What a dope this BB guy is. Fanene was obviously injured before we signed him, the doctors told us so, right?BB should have known Loyd didn't want to play football anymore too. It was obvious how he played 9 years straight and lead the league in tds a few years ago. Stupid, , stupid, stupid signing. Plus he should have done way better then 900 yards and 5 tds as the 4rth receiving option. He should have had like 1500 yards and 10 tds in the 4 hole. It's obvious. Sound logic here boys, sound logic indeed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

2011=13m, 2012=8m  It would have been high in 2013 and 14 had he not restructured AGAIN.

Thank you TB!

No. Brady's deal signed in 2010 was the largest in NFL history at the time. It wasn't 8 million in 2012. LMAO

All Brady has done is restructure his contracts like 5 times. He sure is selfish. Rusty you are really smart.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Wow, Psycho  ^^^^

When did this post become about you?

I thought it was about cap space and foolishly squandered "Dead Money", not the few remaining brain cells in your head.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Thank you TB!

No. Brady's deal signed in 2010 was the largest in NFL history at the time. It wasn't 8 million in 2012. LMAO

Wrong again Dil do

YearCap
    Value

Dead
    Money

Cap
    Savings

2010 $17,426,720 $23,620,000 ($6,193,280)

2011 $13,200,000 $18,550,000 ($5,350,000)

2012 $8,000,000 $21,350,000 ($13,350,000)

2013 $21,800,000 $13,600,000 $8,200,000

2014 $21,800,000 $6,800,000 $15,000,000

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Brady restructured his deal in March of 2012 to reduce his cap hit from 15.2 million to approximately 8 million in 2012.  He restructured again this past offseason so that his cap hit is now between 13 and 15 million for every year from 2013-2017.  Unbelievably reasonable cap hits, even if he regresses to a league average qb.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

I never mentioned what his cap hit was. I said he was wildly overpaid.  Please learn to read.

Suggestion Matty Annoying:

Do not sweep in here to combat my comments. Read first.

Brady SHOULD have restructured based off his very disappointing play in recent postseasons, so spoiled with what he wanted.  

I do not want a WORSE Brady being paid more when the cap is the same as it was in 2009. Deal with the logic. I don't want it as a fan.  The guy was better pre 2007 and is now paid way more under the cap hasn't moved much at all since 2007 itself.

ENOUGH! Enough!  You lost.   I don't want a QB or any player so overpaid that it hurts our overall budget. Period. Deal it. I am a Pats fan, not just a Brady fan.   

What do you care what the cash payouts are to Brady?  The ONLY thing that matters is the cap hit.  His cash payouts have never affected the team building approach of the team; the only thing his contract negotiations have ever done is HELP the team.

I'm not sure what exactly I lost.  But it's clear you have a deep PERSONAL hatred for Brady.  It's bizarre.  There is literally no other reason to care about the actual dollars he pockets as opposed to his cap number.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Matt,

Dont waste your breath. You are clearly trying to argue with a person who is clueless on the salary cap, and is a Brady hater, and not a Pats fan.

Clearly, the beauty in the Brady deals are the fact that they are truly win/win. The team was in real cap issues with out TB restructuring his contract, and in the end game, TB will make more guaranteed money. every other big time QB deal that I can recall, was not structured like this deal, putting the team in a bind at some point. Brady did not do that, with each restucture.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

What a dope this BB guy is. Fanene was obviously injured before we signed him, the doctors told us so, right?BB should have known Loyd didn't want to play football anymore too. It was obvious how he played 9 years straight and lead the league in tds a few years ago. Stupid, , stupid, stupid signing. Plus he should have done way better then 900 yards and 5 tds as the 4rth receiving option. He should have had like 1500 yards and 10 tds in the 4 hole. It's obvious. Sound logic here boys, sound logic indeed.

Actually True, you say it jokingly but what you said was true. Fanene was cut from the team because of an injury that occured prior to him signing, hence why they went after the money to try to recoup some of it. And yes Lloyd had bounced around different teams because he was known to give up wanting to play, not put in maximum effort, and was an issue in those locker rooms. So in a way you are correct how did the medical staff not do enough to see Fanene's prior condition and how with McDaniels did they not get enough info on Lloyd to judge that he wouldn't be a proper fit. Nether of these things came out of left field since they were both known about prior to the signings! Kind of like A. Wilson slowing down, showing age, and not being the same player towards the end of the 12' season. And Amendola consistently being hurt, who knew that just came out of no where.

Sections
Shortcuts