Cardinals release Edgerrin James cornerback Rod Hood and defensive end Travis LaBoy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Cardinals release Edgerrin James cornerback Rod Hood and defensive end Travis LaBoy

Should the Pats sign any  of them?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: Cardinals release Edgerrin James cornerback Rod Hood and defensive end Travis LaBoy

No!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Re: Cardinals release Edgerrin James cornerback Rod Hood and defensive end Travis LaBoy

[QUOTE] Should the Pats sign any  of them?
    Posted by Hoier[/QUOTE]

I can't think of a single reason why any of them would have a spot here

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BXBoston. Show BXBoston's posts

If we didnt pick up Taylor I'd take EJ over him. 3 years younger and just as effective. Ya dig?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]I can't think of a single reason why any of them would have a spot here
    Posted by Evil2009[/QUOTE]

I can think of a few reasons why LaBoy would come here.

1.) Competition -- BB loves competition in camp
    2.) Ability [but how long do you wait for ability lol]
    3.) He has the build of a 3-4 OLB.
    4.) Floyd Reese -- LaBoy is one of his kids from his time with the Oilers/Titans.

I would tend to agree with that none of them will be here. But in some ways I wouldn't be shocked if LaBoy came in for cheap.

A guy with his protracted injury history and failures as a three down DE won't be expensive, especially for a good team like NE. And if he can't hack it, they could cut him after camp.

I would say worth a look. Although part of me doesn't want them to bring anyone in, because I want to see what Crable et al can get done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

vet minimums would be the only way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah, or vet min, plus incentives as vesting options and a team option or non-guaranteed year so it isn't insulting to a young player who at least has proven himself NFL ready.

Like a total funny money contract in the $3 mil per range (he isn't making the $6 mil he made in Arizona now) that he can earn if he can play, but is easily cutable before the season and thus protects the team if they don't see him working out in camp.

I could think of a few players who could be cut to make the space, and don't have a whisker of LaBoy's pass rush ability.

A 26 year old Mike Vrabel had much less success than Laboy has had, so it would be that kind of signing. Sort of looking out into the NFL. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Sure fi we didnt already sign Fred taylor or did you miss that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]I can think of a few reasons why LaBoy would come here. 1.) Competition -- BB loves competition in camp 2.) Ability [but how long do you wait for ability lol] 3.) He has the build of a 3-4 OLB. 4.) Floyd Reese -- LaBoy is one of his kids from his time with the Oilers/Titans. I would tend to agree with that none of them will be here. But in some ways I wouldn't be shocked if LaBoy came in for cheap. A guy with his protracted injury history and failures as a three down DE won't be expensive, especially for a good team like NE. And if he can't hack it, they could cut him after camp. I would say worth a look. Although part of me doesn't want them to bring anyone in, because I want to see what Crable et al can get done.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree on LaBoy. Edge and Hood are possiblities too at the minimum. The idea would be that they wouldn't make the team, but could add depth in the offseason just in case of injury. The Pats don't really have that much depth at RB or the secondary. Of course, I expect that they'll get contract offers from other teams. Hood is the perfect pickup for a team that doesn't have three CBs that they know they can rely on (there are plenty of teams like that). He's not a great DB, but he's good enough. Edge had a bad year last year, but had been productive most every other year of his career. Some team with issues with their RB depth may want to offer him something well above the minimum.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Hood will find a home. Edge will too.

I can't see James coming into NE and humbling himself though-- and is NE looking for another 30 something back? After his career,and after his demands in AZ to be the "feature back" and get more carries, I think he isn't a likely canidate to take a contract that could leave him vulnerable to getting cut and would put him in competition for a role.  

LaBoy is interesting, and it is why I like this thread over all the others.

After Ashley Lelie and Jason Elam I can't think of another Hawaii prospect that was as highly touted coming out. The concerns in AZ are minimal. He has basically been a 3rd down DE for them and the Titans, and they are against the cap and regretting spending $4.5 million per on a player who can on be a role-player in their 4-3 defense.

That is essentially what Vrabel was doing (and special teams) in Pitt when Bill found him. I have no idea if he can stand, or how he looks in space, or if they want a guy atOLB at all.

But more than Taylor or even Ellis, or any of the other rumors of renting a vet for $4million ++, he is intriguing. He could come cheap, he could be easy to cut, and dare I say he could have upside as a stand up linebacker, which is good because he has been an effective 3rd down DE.

Sections
Shortcuts