Cardinals Safety Adrian Wilson set to visit the Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Cardinals Safety Adrian Wilson set to visit the Patriots

Christopher Price         Christopher Price @cpriceNFL

Per @RapsSheet, safety Adrian Wilson is set to visit with the Patriots.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Cardinals Safety Adrian Wilson set to visit the Patriots

He won't leave without signing, that's my prediction.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Cardinals release safety Adrian Wilson

By Brian McIntyre | Shutdown Corner – Fri, Mar 8, 2013

The Arizona Cardinals announced that after 12 seasons with the franchise, veteran safety Adrian Wilson would be released on Friday.

“All of us thank Adrian for what he has meant not only to our organization but also to this community,” Cardinals president Michael Bidwill said in a statement released by the club. “In every franchise, there is a select group of players whose contributions earn them iconic status and for us, Adrian Wilson will always be one of those players. He joined us at a key time in our organization’s evolution and helped lead us into a new era.

"We will always be grateful for that and look forward to the day when he’s placed in the Ring of Honor at University of Phoenix Stadium alongside the other all-time great Cardinals."

The Cardinals selected Wilson out of North Carolina State in the third round of the 2001 NFL Draft. Over the last twelve seasons, Wilson has missed just 11 games, posted 27 interceptions, two of which he returned for touchdowns, to go along with his 25.5 sacks. Wilson earned five trips to the Pro Bowl and was named to the All-Pro team on four occasions.

Wilson's release does not come as a surprise. Though he started all 16 games in 2012, Wilson had a reduced a role on defense towards the end of the season and appeared in under 80 percent of the team's defensive snaps. With the Cardinals bringing in a new coaching staff to replace Ken Whisenhunt, the team was looking to get younger and releasing a 34-year-old safety certainly fits with the plan moving forward.

Wilson had three seasons remaining on his current contract and was scheduled to receive a $1 million roster bonus on March 12. Wilson's roster bonus and $2.5 million base salary in 2013 were guaranteed for injury only. In addition to a $250,000 offfseason workout bonus, Wilson's release saves the Cardinals $3.75 million in cash and $3 million in cap space.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

nice

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Glad to hear this.  Like his game, hopefully he has something left in the tank.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

He won't leave without signing, that's my prediction.

Like Rodney.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Adrian Wilson would like to play three more years

Posted by Josh Alper on March 11, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT Cedric Benson, Adrian Wilson, Patrick PetersonAP

Safety Adrian Wilson’s long run with the Cardinals came to an end last week, but Wilson isn’t thinking about the end of his playing days.

Wilson said he had no hard feelings toward the Cardinals for the end of their 12-year relationship and that all he was thinking about now was his next stop. He’d like to play for a contender on the West Coast, something that he described as a “best-case scenario” while making it clear that he plans to be playing somewhere in 2013.

“A lot of people say a lot of different things about why I got shut down last year and all this other stuff, but the point is I feel like I still have three years left. That’s the reason why I signed that deal, was because I knew my time was running out and I know I can still play good ball,” Wilson said on XTRA Sports 910, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. But that’s not even an issue. It’s just all about finding the right fit and just moving forward, man.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Yes... please, please, please. He'd be the perfect compliment next to McCourty at SS. Brings swagger, attitude, confidence, and he adds a hard-hitting, talented presence at SS.

Add Wilson, Talib and another CB, and an interior DL, and this defense is Super Bowl caliber.

Then use the draft to add WR depth, and draft BPA on defense as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Good news . Lets get it done. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Some great music!  laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHOJfqq1yiM

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

lucky. i hope you guys don't sign him. i want this dude!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

love it, he was my 2nd choice to Reed. (didn't think we had a shot at Goldy)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Hopefully they get this done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Awesome news! I sure hope he signs with us!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not sure how I fell apart this. Wilsons performance decreased a lot this past season to the point they didn't even use him in the nickel in the end. Reminds me of Springs all over again

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

oh weah

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Adrian Wilson Adrian Wilson #24 S
    Arizona Cardinals

2012 STATS

• Tot54
    • Solo39
    • Ast15
    • FF1
    • Sack3.0
    • Int1
    Safety  Adrian Wilson

Bio: Released by the Cardinals after 12 seasons, the 33-year old Wilson has been one of the best safeties in football during his career. He's been elected to five Pro Bowls and is one of just six players in NFL history with 25 or more sacks and 25 or more interceptions in his career. 

Role: Wilson has an imposing 6-foot-3 and 230-pound frame, which is more common among strong safeties than free safeties. While he was often aligned to the strength of the offensive formation for Arizona during the 2012 season, he also played as the middle-of-the-field safety in some of their single-high safety looks. 

Position skills: Wilson remains a dynamic proactive athlete with very good speed and unique instincts. He is an accomplished blitzer with good anticipation for snap counts and the strength to fight through blockers. He's a willing and forceful tackler who can be a big part of a run defense, though he can rely too heavily on shoulder tackles at-times. As a pass defender, Wilson lacks elite range and pattern-read ability, but can still make plays at the point of catch. He's not a liability in coverage. 

Patriots take: We'd argue that safety is not as pressing of a need for the Patriots as it may seem, as the team still has 2012 second-round pick Tavon Wilson to play behind Steve Gregory (assuming Devin McCourty remains at one safety spot). Wilson had struggles during his rookie season, but the team saw enough in him early to use him as a starter. Confidence will be the key. Wilson would add toughness and play-making to the defense, but safety is less of a need than cornerback at this point. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

We need a corner or two also.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

This guy is Rodney Harrison part deux. Huge stature, physical presence, brings swagger and a hard-hitting presence. Great in the box against the run, he can cover TEs, and he's instinctive and capable in pass-coverage.

Put number '37' on him and lighten his skin tone and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between him and Rodney.

They won't let him leave without a contract... same goes for Abraham. This is a big time upgrade to the secondary and defense as a whole.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

This guy is Rodney Harrison part deux. Huge stature, physical presence, brings swagger and a hard-hitting presence. Great in the box against the run, he can cover TEs, and he's instinctive and capable in pass-coverage.

Put number '37' on him and lighten his skin tone and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between him and Rodney.

Ummm...

25. This post has been removed.