Cardinals Safety Adrian Wilson set to visit the Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Cardinals Safety Adrian Wilson set to visit the Patriots

Starter or depth....Patriots need a better one of both

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Personally I still think the guy would be a productive starter here. He's certainly longer in the tooth, but his experience, smarts, size and hard-hitting intimidation would be a boon to the defense.

Perhaps I'm not aware of how much he has lost, but I can't imagine it has been all that bad. The guy wants to play for 3 more years... whether that happens is up in the air, but I'm not convinced the guy can't perform a Pollard-in-Baltimore type of role here. Not GREAT, but some stability, better than we had, and allow us to do some different things schematically. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He'd be a great depth piece but unless they truely feel Wilson will be the man in the future I want them to still add a starting SS. To me Wilson has to come out on passing downs unless he plays in the box as a SS/LB coverage guy. But on 1st down and 2nd and mid he'd be a great pick up.

As I said unless they feel Wilson is the future SS moving forward they still need a starting SS but I won't complain if Wilson is added as a depth piece and vet leadership, just not as a starter

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

He'd be a great depth piece but unless they truely feel Wilson will be the man in the future I want them to still add a starting SS. To me Wilson has to come out on passing downs unless he plays in the box as a SS/LB coverage guy. But on 1st down and 2nd and mid he'd be a great pick up.

As I said unless they feel Wilson is the future SS moving forward they still need a starting SS but I won't complain if Wilson is added as a depth piece and vet leadership, just not as a starter

Unless the guy COMPLETELY fell on a cliff last year, I see little reason that he wouldn't be a starter. It's not exactly like he's competing against tough talent for the starting job... I view Tavon as the biggest threat to him. 

If Adrian can still cover TEs man-to-man, he will certainly be the starter, especially on 1st and 2nd down. 3rd down, perhaps he may play as a roaming LB type of guy next to Mayo, or if he has truly lost as much as you guys seem to think, he'll come off the field.

But, no, if he can adequately cover TEs on 1st and 2nd, he will certainly be the starter barring a big second year leap by Tavon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

People said Harrison was washed up and done before he signed here...LMAO...Wilson is a freight train run amuck in the secondary, as well as being a great veteran.....hope they sign him and he puts everyone he hits into dentures....I'm sure he'll seriously consider signing here because he wants a chance to win a SB...same with the other two vets as well...I could live happily with them signing Wilson and Freeny and/or Abraham, the kinds of vet signings they have always done in the past and which has often proven to be worthwhile for them.

Amen. I wasn't around here prior to Rodney's signing, but I'm sure I could go back and find people saying the EXACT same things as they're saying now about Adrian.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

People said Harrison was washed up and done before he signed here...LMAO...Wilson is a freight train run amuck in the secondary, as well as being a great veteran.....hope they sign him and he puts everyone he hits into dentures....I'm sure he'll seriously consider signing here because he wants a chance to win a SB...same with the other two vets as well...I could live happily with them signing Wilson and Freeny and/or Abraham, the kinds of vet signings they have always done in the past and which has often proven to be worthwhile for them.

+1  : )

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Harrison was still playing at a high level before leaving the Charges and most scouts agreed with that, it was fans who said he was washed up. Wilson has lost a couple steps (again something scouts agree on) and lost a nickel role on a bad secondary.

I'm thinking he would be used more as a SS/LB coverage guy we've been needing since our LB can't cover anything

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

U said Reed was your 1st choice. YOu dont think Ed Reed has fallen off?? I mean he is younger but look at it. He was considered retirement the same year Lewis retired who is much older. This free agency has done something to you dude. How can you praise Ed coming here and not welcome Wilson. He is a starter. Arizona is not exactly the Pats in terms of competing for a title. They are going younger. Same with Bmore, expect that Reed has been hurt each of the last few years and if anything He is the one who has fell off a cliff. He is a grey beard at age 32. Too much wear. Wilson is the perfect fit and YES he better start. Freeking James Idehebo started on this defense that went to a SB!  Nuff Said! Atrell Hawkins anyone.... cmon Eng, this would be a great move. Dude can still play

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

BTW...it may be nothing more than cleaning house in one fell swoop and trying to cover your organizations behind by bad-mouthing those you jettison  with stories about them (not like that ever happened here in Boston), but word out of baltimore was that Reed and Pollard were involved in some type of locker room  politicing  leading to their being gone, so, if even a little of that is true, it's something to consider as a plus for Wilson.

Not mention Reed is redundant. Pollard could fill the 'SS' role, but to be entirely I'd rather have Wilson. Smarter, better locker room and leadership traits, and quite simply, the better player in my opinion.

Reed however, as I said, is redundant. He's a roaming FS at heart... not a true SS. We already have McCourty who looked like one of our better DBs when he was at FS... instinctive, solid tackler, and showed a knack for being able to close ridiculously fast on the ball. We don't need Reed... we need Wilson.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

U said Reed was your 1st choice. YOu dont think Ed Reed has fallen off?? I mean he is younger but look at it. He was considered retirement the same year Lewis retired who is much older. This free agency has done something to you dude. How can you praise Ed coming here and not welcome Wilson. He is a starter. Arizona is not exactly the Pats in terms of competing for a title. They are going younger. Same with Bmore, expect that Reed has been hurt each of the last few years and if anything He is the one who has fell off a cliff. He is a grey beard at age 32. Too much wear. Wilson is the perfect fit and YES he better start. Freeking James Idehebo started on this defense that went to a SB!  Nuff Said! Atrell Hawkins anyone.... cmon Eng, this would be a great move. Dude can still play

Reed was still playing at a very high level this past year and didn't lose a nickel spot on a bad secondary so yes I don't think Reed has fallen off as much as Wilson

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

+1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Reed was still playing at a very high level this past year and didn't lose a nickel spot on a bad secondary so yes I don't think Reed has fallen off as much as Wilson

Can you please direct me to an article or two that states and gives evidence for everything you've been stating? 

Have you evaluated game tape for Wilson and Reed this past season, and Harrison prior to his arrival to New England, and are making your claims based on your evaluations?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Can you please direct me to an article or two that states and gives evidence for everything you've been stating? 

Have you evaluated game tape for Wilson and Reed this past season, and Harrison prior to his arrival to New England, and are making your claims based on your evaluations?

I do watch a lot of games on guys and look up games online for players I think the Patriots are interested in. I do the same thing for draft prospects (kind of a hobby)

But, if you want data 

SeasonTeamTacklesInterceptionsFumblesGGSCombTotalAstSckSFTYPDefIntYdsAvgLngTDsFF

2002 San Diego Chargers 13 13 86 67 19 2.0 -- 5 2 2 1.0 2 0 2   2001 San Diego Chargers14 14 107 90 17 3.5 -- 11 2 51 25.5 22 0

That's Rodneys last 2 years with the Chargers but either at or above his average and both very good years

Reed:

SeasonTeamTacklesInterceptionsFumblesGGSCombTotalAstSckSFTYPDefIntYdsAvgLngTDsFF

2012 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 58 49 9 0.0 0 15 4 78 19.5 34T 1 0   2011 Baltimore Ravens16 16 52 44 8 1.0 -- 8 3 25 8.3 16 0 1

Reed's last two years again at or above his career average

Wilson:

2012 Arizona Cardinals 15 14 54 39 15 3.0 -- 5 1 -2 -2.0 -2 0 1   2011 Arizona Cardinals16 16 65 48 17 0.0 -- 14 1 17 17.0 17 0 1

With exception of sacks both are below his career average years and his numbers are starting to dip down. More dramatic was his total playing time decreased as the year progressed from Ari

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Rodney Harrison being washed up wasn't a rumor, The Chargers cut him because they thought he was done. 

Wilson is a lot like Harrison but was a better athlete, good safties aren't good because they're amazing athletes, they're good because they are smart and understand coverages.  Rodney was never a great athlete, he went to Western Illinois University and got drafted in the 5th round for cripessakes.

This would be a great signing and would fill the biggest need position thats been there for years, no more tightends running wild on us.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Rodney Harrison being washed up wasn't a rumor, The Chargers cut him because they thought he was done. 

Wilson is a lot like Harrison but was a better athlete, good safties aren't good because they're amazing athletes, they're good because they are smart and understand coverages.  Rodney was never a great athlete, he went to Western Illinois University and got drafted in the 5th round for cripessakes.

This would be a great signing and would fill the biggest need position thats been there for years, no more tightends running wild on us.

+1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

This a million times over.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Harrison was still playing at a high level before leaving the Charges and most scouts agreed with that, it was fans who said he was washed up. Wilson has lost a couple steps (again something scouts agree on) and lost a nickel role on a bad secondary.

I'm thinking he would be used more as a SS/LB coverage guy we've been needing since our LB can't cover anything

You know better than that. Rodney played the 2002 season with a partially torn groin and he faced us that season and looked horrible, arriving 3 steps late the whole game,. Its a testamant to his toughness that he gutted it out but he never should have been playing and thats why Marty said he was done because he figured he messed up his groin permanently. The Pats were the only ones who called because most took Martys word for what it was. This is why they show that clip of Rodney with BB after their 1st AFCCG win and he said, "thanks for believing in me"

Revisionist history eng??  This F/A has messed up your memory.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts