Carolina will be a REAL challenge

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Re: Carolina will be a REAL challenge

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't get the "if the Pats don't abandon the run" comment? The Pats will run the ball if the OL is opening lanes for positive yards. If the OL is being stuffed all day, and the RB's have no holes, then the Pats, thankfully, will abandon the run to win the game.

If you watch the SF/Panthers tape, the Panthers beat SF playing smash mouth. IMO, there is no way the Pats can beat the Panthers playing physical.

1) Establish the run, which will give TB time to throw

2) The Panthers cannot match up with the Pats TE and 3 WR's assuming TB has time

3) Dont turn the ball over. Make the Panthers go 80 plus yards to score allowing chances for turn overs

4) Score early making the Panthers abandon the run

5) Cam will turn the ball over if throwing. Pressure Cam and put him down when given the chance. He is a very big Qb, but he must be contained in the pocket and forced to throw 

[/QUOTE]

But it's WHEN they give up on the run. If they aren't getting some positive yards, do they abandon it by halftime?  My point is, DO NOT do it if the game is close and low scoring.

That's the point.

There have been numerous times where we are up 10-7, down 14-10, up 13-7 at the half, etc, and we simply ignore it in the 2nd half and then we lose.

I can name probably 2 dozen games like this since 2007 when it became more obsessive to pass our way through a good front 7 vs keeping them honest.

Running the ball is an attitude and about playcalling creativity.  It must be done through all 4 qtrs, unless of course it's like the game vs SF last year when you get way behind.

I disagree with this concept that our team isn't physical. I think that is bogus.  We can play smash mouth if we want to.    The key is the "want" part of it.

Agree on setting the edge, bottling Newton and probably seeing a spy on him so he doesn't slither through the line.  Pats are usually VERY good at this kind of a gameplan whether it be Vick, Roethlisberger, etc.

Stick Talib on Smith, Dennard on LaFell and they should be just fine mixing man and zone on Newton to confuse him at some point.  

I also do not feel Carolina's O Line is that great, which people seem to be ignoring.

[/QUOTE]

Rusty.. this is YOUR opinion, which is fine, and as a result, no matter when the Pats "give up the run", it appears you are never satisfied.  So, "in your opinion", if the PASSING game is working like a charm, for the Pats to continue passing is being "obessive", but, when the running game is NOT working, you call it giving up. Isn't the goal of the team to do what is WORKING in order to win?  Hitting ones head against the wall, which is what you appear to want the team to do with the running game, does not have to be the case every week.  Again, the Pats won't win style points in your eyes just about ever!

[/QUOTE]

There is no debating that McDaniels and Brady are infamous for quickly abandoning the run when it's not a great rushing attack in games, thinking they can score more points quicker by just throwing.

We've lost SBs, playoff games, regular season games in low scoring games that way many times.

This is not debatable anymore. A 3 yard gain on average still works clock and keeps the D honest, which helps your run game and the possibiility of a playaction play to work to perfection, possibly for a drive ending TD.

I have no idea how anyone can debate this element. 

Since 2007. there has been this obsession with chomping at the bit to throw and throw some more in close games against good front 7s and it's backfired EVERY time unless the D has 2 turnovers or more and plays lights out to bail out that failed appoach on offense.

I will wager you or anyone right now on this game with these elements tied into it.  

If Brady throws more than 35 times, we'll lose.   If he throws less than 35 times, we'll win.

Bet?

[/QUOTE]

What a foolish statement.  Brady could throw 24 times going into the 4th quarter and find himself 2 TDs behind because of that awful run D and awful running game.  Suddenly, he's forced to throw 12 times in the fourth, the Pats lose and you come here and say, I told you so.  Carolina has the second best run D in the NFL behind the JETS NUMBER ONE RUN D, would you expect the Pats to run the ball?  

[/QUOTE]

Go away, Bustchise.  We realize you have no life and need reasurring comments from Pats fans to make yourself feel good, but it won't happen here.

Did you just call our run game and run D "awful"? LOL!

I want Brady to not think it's about him. He won 3 SBs that way. That is something you'll never see which is why your comments are funny.

The Jets D sucks overall with holes all over the field.  Consistency is what matters not SBs at home vs playoff teams the Jets moron players get up for or get calls from the refs with in games.

[/QUOTE]

28th in the NFL in rushing yards allowed.  Plus, giving up 4.3 yards per carry.  Yes, awful.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"It will be a real challenge for the doom and gloomers to find fault with this team after we smoke Carolina."

I hope you're not another one of those on the most hopeless mission of all time: to get people on a message board to stop complaining.

LOL at that. 

What I am doing is assessing the Pats chances to win another championship. That is how they evaluate their game play. 

so yeah, if we "smoke" the Panthers that will be encouraging. But I will settle for a close hard fought win that shows signs particularly of defensive solidifying after our last round of injuries. 

but I am actually even ok with a loss in this game IF we then go and beat Denver. 

I consider Carolina to be a pretty good test only because of their win streak. Let's see. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

The 49'ers were averaging 35 points a game in their last 5 games and the Panthers held them to 9.  The 49'ers were averaging 358 yards per game in the last 5 games and the Panthers held them to a total of 150.  Wow!  Yes, this will be a very tough game for the Pats.

But don't worry, Rusty has himself covered, as usual.  If the Pats lose Rusty will blame it on Brady, the shotgun or too heavy of a passing attack.  It won't be because the Panthers D is pretty darn good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The 49'ers were averaging 35 points a game in their last 5 games and the Panthers held them to 9.  The 49'ers were averaging 358 yards per game in the last 5 games and the Panthers held them to a total of 150.  Wow!  Yes, this will be a very tough game for the Pats.

But don't worry, Rusty has himself covered, as usual.  If the Pats lose Rusty will blame it on Brady, the shotgun or too heavy of a passing attack.  It won't be because the Panthers D is pretty darn good.

[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY, TFB!  Hardly much credit is given to the other team when the Pats lose.  Teams lose even when playing well.  Yes, they may have not executed as well as we would have liked, but, the other team has a say in that performance, too.  Brady could be sacked 5 times, intercepted twice, throw 3 TD passes, have less than a 50% completion rate and the Pats win a squeeker 24 - 21.  The focus will be on the poor performance of Brady, lack of maintaining a running game all for not making the win a run-away.  The pattern has been set.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Carolina is almost the same as KC on D

But has fewer weapons on O than KC

Pats have faced a lot of very good Front 7's this year.

Looking at schedules - Nobody including Pats have too many wins off of the Top teams-

there are only about 8 other teams that are SB contenders

SF, Seat, Car, KC, Denver, Det, Cin and NO-

Each team has its issues - I think Car & KC is just as real as anyp of them

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

I can hardly wait for this game. 

Hey Rusty, will you be going to the game since it is in your area?

Sections
Shortcuts