Carson Palmer traded to Oakland

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Carson Palmer traded to Oakland

From ESPN.com:

Oakland and Cincinnati are on the verge of completing one of the NFL's biggest trade-deadline deals in decades, with the Raiders acquiring holdout quarterback Carson Palmer from the Bengals in exchange for a two first-round picks, according to sources familiar with the deal.

The first first-round pick is in 2012 and the other is a conditional first-round pick in 2013.

It's a bold move for each team.

Cincinnati is empowering a team it could be competing against for a playoff spot or even in the postseason. The Raiders are turning over another high pick for a quarterback that has been holding out and has struggled in recent seasons when some around the league questioned his arm strength. But ultimately, both sides believed it a gamble worth taking.

The deal became feasible when the Raiders lost starting quarterback Jason Campbell to a broken collarbone and the Bengals watched rookie quarterback Andy Dalton lead Cincinnati to a 4-2 record.

Oakland and Cincinnati spent much of Monday discussing the deal to the point early Monday night when a select few people realized it could happen. People involved in the deal's discussions thought it could happen, but they also recognized how delicate the talks were.

Palmer has been working out in Southern California with former Jets quarterback Ken O'Brien. Palmer also has a strong relationship with Raiders head coach Hue Jackson, with the two men having worked together in Cincinnati from 2004-2006, when Jackson was the Bengals' receivers coach.

Now Palmer will became another former Bengal to make his way west to the Raiders. And Oakland needs him. With Campbell out, the Raiders turned to Kyle Boller to replace him and also had Terrelle Pryor on the bench.

The trade became possible for the Bengals because Dalton has been impressive throughout training camp and the season's first six games.

Palmer was willing to restructure his contract, which would pay him $6.9 million for the balance of this season, sources said. In Dec. 2005, he signed an extension with the Bengals through 2014 that was valued at $118.75 million that had remained in tact when he informed the Bengals in January that he wanted a trade or would retire. He has never spoken publicly about his status and his agent, David Dunn, has only confirmed the original report that Palmer had met with Bengals owner Mike Brown to inform him of his feelings. It has been reported recently that Palmer himself had been speaking to Brown to persuade him to make a trade.

Palmer's wife, Shaelynn, is a former swimmer he met at USC and was raised in the San Jose area.

Until now, the biggest recent trade-deadline deals involved receivers. One came in 2008, when the Detroit Lions sent wide receiver Roy Williams and a seventh-round pick to the Dallas Cowboys in exhanged for first-, third- and sixth-round picks in 2009. The same week, Williams agreed to a five-year, $45 million extension that included more than $20 million guaranteed. Williams wound up being released before training camp began last summer.

In 2009, the Browns traded wide receiver Braylon Edwards to the Jets. But rarely have trade deadline deals involved quarterbacks, especially ones in a situation like Palmer's.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Re: Carson Palmer traded to Oakland

Is Al Davis still alive? 2 1st Rders??? Wow... 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'd thought Pete Carrol would have gone after him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

two first round picks? Palmer is worth two first rounders? REALLY?

Did Al Davis come back to life?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Wow, 2 first rd picks?

Who is their backup now, Boller right?

I would ride with him.  Those 2 picks gonna set them back.  they aint winning it all this year.

carson is worse than jason at this point. hopefully he makes our pick better.

What a dumb trade...

imagine what ol Tommy boy would bring back in a trade!

we could probably just buy a new # 1 defense....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Two first round picks for Carson Palmer?  Al Davis is rolling over in his grave.  Even he wouldn't have given up 2 first rounders.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

The Raiders have a 5th and 6th this year in the draft, I think. LMFAO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

ROFL 2 1st round picks? Couldn't we have traded them Mallett?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanUK. Show PatsFanUK's posts

I guess the second conditional 1st rounder must have some stiff targets (get to the SB maybe?), but even trading away 1 1st rounder for a guy who's not been the same since knee surgery seems like madness to me - is he that much of an upgrade over Kyle Boller to warrant this move? I doubt it...

That sound you can hear in the distance is Al Davis spinning in his grave...(RIP Al - if that's at all possible!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

Palmer hasn't been the same player since his injury versus Pitt in the playoffs in 2005-06.  2 first rounders is insane given his recent elbow woes.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

Two first round picks!!  Al Davis must have left instructions in case he passed on to get Carson with all means necessary.

The Raiders would have been better off giving a second rounder to the Pats for Hoyer...

Unbelievable....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Like the trade for the Raiders, but the compensation is a bit heavy.  A steal for Cinci, Dalton loks like a keeper and they get 2 1st rounders for a guy that was never getting his job back anyway. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

WHAT???

April fools right??

This can't be serious, just sign Vinny Testaverde and call it even.

So the Raiders will have spent 3 1st rd picks on a declining Seymour and a declining Carson Palmer?

Can we still swing in and send Brian Hoyer for a 1st and a 3rd??? Its a bargain!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

In Response to Re: Carson Palmer traded to Oakland:
    [QUOTE]WHAT??? April fools right?? This can't be serious, just sign Vinny Testaverde and call it even. So the Raiders will have spent 3 1st rd picks on a declining Seymour and a declining Carson Palmer? Can we still swing in and send Brian Hoyer for a 1st and a 3rd??? Its a bargain!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

You forgot the 1st overall pick for Jamarcus Russell and $45 Million guaranteed money if memory serves me...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The raiders got robbed, I knew they would find a way to screw up the one year that hasn't been a total waste.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

two first round picks- are you sure al davis is dead?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I have never been high on Palmer, very over rated.  Bad move by the Raiders.  Great move by the Bengals.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Unreal that the Raiders would part with their first rounder next year, and a "conditional" first-rounder in 2013. But, before I start getting too critical, I'd  like to know what strings are attached to the Bengals getting Oakland's first rounder in 2013. Based on what I've been able to ascertain, it's based on performance. If Palmer doesn't play that well, it's only a second rounder in 2013.

If Carson Palmer is worth two first rounders, how much would Tom Brady be worth...or Peyton Manning, even with a glued-on neck?

How soon can Palmer get up to speed? How committed to playing is he? 

Big risk for the Raiders. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I haven't seen anything from Carson Palmer in the last few years to suggest that he is worth even one first-round pick, let alone two (conditional or otherwise). This is a simple testament to the dearth of quality quarterbacks in a quarterback-driven league. Who knows . . .   maybe Palmer will re-invent himself in Oakland, but it's hard for me to envision that team building anything enduring when it keeps throwing away draft picks on flotsam and jetsam.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

Beware the curse of Al Davis...........

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from will71. Show will71's posts

God i would just retire i mean really you go from BAD to WORSE lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

2 1st rounders!  I'm surprised BB didn't send them Brady for that.  jk.

In Response to Re: Carson Palmer traded to Oakland:
    [QUOTE]ROFL 2 1st round picks? Couldn't we have traded them Mallett?
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts