Caserio turns down offer to become Miami GM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Caserio turns down offer to become Miami GM

Miami Dolphins: According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, New England Patriots director of pro personnel has turned down an offer from the Dolphins to become their general manager.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Caserio turns down offer to become Miami GM

finally some good news

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I can think of three reasons...one, money...two, Tom Brady/BB...and three they won't let him fire Joe Philbin.

It's tough to win in the AFC east with Brady at the helm, there have already been, what? 9? 10? GM's hired and fired since Brady has been a starter and has had a strangle hold on the division - that can't be too enticing for potential GM candidates. And I just think that he wanted all the power and they wanted to keep the head coach.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

good for Caserio, maybe bad news for Patriots some time down the line.

How's it bad for the Pats?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Smart move Nick.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

Smart move.  I was wondering why there wasn't a breaking news story about him accepting it.

Miami clearly wanted him out of the 8 candidates and why not? The Exec of the Year with BB here and the brilliance has him as the hottest commodity in the league.

His best bet is to go to the NFC, wait on soliciting the coach and staff, with a good situation vs going into a mess like that.

Maimi is in serious trouble with Philbin, some cap hell and a question mark at QB.  Plus, they aren't winning the division any time soon. Still chuckling at Mt Hurl claiming Miami is a good situation. lol

I would listen to anyone, but I always felt like this was practice, so to speak, for Caserio. He's just setting the stage and priming for his real move in 1-2 years.

Who won the executive of the year? BB? Cesario?

And how much cap space does Miami have right now? Aren't they somewhere around 36 million UNDER the cap heading into the 2014 off season? That sounds like a good situation to be in if you're a GM accepting that job, no? I mean it appears as if they have found their quarterback (no Brady, I know), but still they have a promising guy locked up for reasonable money. They have some pass rushers, they have cap space, they are selecting at a good position in the draft...the only problem is they play in the same division Tom Brady plays. That has put a lot of guys in the unemployment line, you know all about the unemployment line don't you rust?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Caserio turned it down because there was too much uncertainty over what the GM role would be in Miami. They are still going to hire a President or Dir of Football Op's, and the GM is uncertain as of now who his boss is, and who the coach reports to. Ross is too hands on for any GM to be comfortable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I think it was a smart play by Caserio... does a little self promotion, gains some valuable interview experience and holds out for a better opportunity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Caserio turned it down because there was too much uncertainty over what the GM role would be in Miami. They are still going to hire a President or Dir of Football Op's, and the GM is uncertain as of now who his boss is, and who the coach reports to. Ross is too hands on for any GM to be comfortable.

James Walker

How much control for Miami GM?

"Well, the Dolphins are offering the general manager no power outside the 53-man roster, and there isn’t a lot of stability because the head coach could be out after one year. That leaves a lot of questions. Let’s say the Dolphins implode and go 5-11 next year. It won’t be the GM’s call to make a coaching change, because that won’t be in his contract under the current structure. But even if ownership decides to let go of coach Joe Philbin, who would pick a next coach? Owner Stephen Ross? The GM won’t have that ability in his contract, either. There are places where the head coach is the boss. Lovie Smith recently got the final say in Tampa Bay. But in Miami, neither the coach nor the GM has final say. So who does? That could lead to confusion and infighting as people fight for power. Miami recently interviewed Nick Caserio and I wonder if the team is willing to provide him with more power to take the job."

Sections
Shortcuts