Cassel In - Mallett Out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Cassel In - Mallett Out?

I saw Adam Schefter on TV yesterday speculating that the Chiefs will release Cassel who has not worked out for them at all.  Obviously they will be drafting a QB at the top of the draft.  And they have Quinn as a backup.

He went on to say that the Pats could very well pick up MC as a backup.  Then trade Ryan Mallett, possibly for draft picks they are short of currently.

I think all of this is very plausible.  If I am RM's agent I do not let this kid wait around for possibly 5 more years without getting any playing time.  And the Pats might get a serviceable backup without giving up anything.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Re: Cassel In - Mallett Out?

I'd be very surprised to see them trade away Mallett.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to nyjoseph's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I saw Adam Schefter on TV yesterday speculating that the Chiefs will release Cassel who has not worked out for them at all.  Obviously they will be drafting a QB at the top of the draft.  And they have Quinn as a backup.

He went on to say that the Pats could very well pick up MC as a backup.  Then trade Ryan Mallett, possibly for draft picks they are short of currently.

I think all of this is very plausible.  If I am RM's agent I do not let this kid wait around for possibly 5 more years without getting any playing time.  And the Pats might get a serviceable backup without giving up anything.

[/QUOTE]

Sure. I could totally see that. It's the beauty of BB as a GM. He's created this chain reaction of leverage  of sorts with how he does things.

Even the Schiano friendship in TB netted us Talib.  Really, no other GM in this league has created this kind of situation.  BB has the ability to just pull guys like Stallworth or Branch from their couches, too.  It's incredible.

So, yeah.  You get a team desperate enough and liking Mallett out of the draft, BB sees how bad they want him and voila, here comes an additional 3rd rd pick or maybe better.  Kolb went to Arizona, for what, a 2nd?

[/QUOTE]

For one thing, I am not that amazed about getting Branch and Stallworth to come play this year. Their combined 16 catches for under 200 yards and one TD (Stallworth's only catch).

Why do people think any teams are interested in Mallet? Last year, I kept hearing that they could trade Hoyer, but no team was interested. In fact, after they cut him it took over two months for him to get another chance in the NFL and that was after the Steelers lost multple QBs. He still could not get on the field in front of Charlie Batch! His only playing this year is for a dismal 5-10 Cardinals team that has also lost three QBs.

Now teams, are going to come knocking on the Patriots door with second and third round picks for a guy who completed less 50% of his passes this preason and has held a clipboard since?

Kolb got the Eagles Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round pick, but at that point Kolb had seven NFL starts and had managed to keep the Eagles in first place after Vick got hurt in 2010.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

I think it would be a brilliant move.  We know that Cassel could step in if needed and play exceedingly well with this offense.  Mallet is not Brady's replacement.  That person won't be drafted by the Patriots for another three or four years (two at the earliest) to give him a year or two under Brady.  Mallet will be long gone by then, so why not trade him for high value if we could get a very good stand-in for the next two to three years as backup QB?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Mallett is not Tom Brady's heir apparent, that's a bad thing. The Pats spent a fairly high 3rd round pick to get Mallett. If he hasn't shown that he's got the goods to be a good NFL QB, who would be willing to part with anything of consequence for him? As for Matt Cassel, who wants him back? The Pats need to find a young QB who they can groom to eventually replace the aging Brady. 

If the Pats don't win the SB this season, perhaps the time has come to entertain the idea of trading Brady for a bevy of high draft picks? If that happens and Tom gets traded, than bringing back Cassel to hold the fort while the Pats groom a long term replacement would make sense. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sure. I could totally see that. It's the beauty of BB as a GM. He's created this chain reaction of leverage  of sorts with how he does things.

Even the Schiano friendship in TB netted us Talib.  Really, no other GM in this league has created this kind of situation.  BB has the ability to just pull guys like Stallworth or Branch from their couches, too.  It's incredible.

So, yeah.  You get a team desperate enough and liking Mallett out of the draft, BB sees how bad they want him and voila, here comes an additional 3rd rd pick or maybe better.  Kolb went to Arizona, for what, a 2nd?

[/QUOTE]

For one thing, I am not that amazed about getting Branch and Stallworth to come play this year. Their combined 16 catches for under 200 yards and one TD (Stallworth's only catch).

Why do people think any teams are interested in Mallet? Last year, I kept hearing that they could trade Hoyer, but no team was interested. In fact, after they cut him it took over two months for him to get another chance in the NFL and that was after the Steelers lost multple QBs. He still could not get on the field in front of Charlie Batch! His only playing this year is for a dismal 5-10 Cardinals team that has also lost three QBs.

Now teams, are going to come knocking on the Patriots door with second and third round picks for a guy who completed less 50% of his passes this preason and has held a clipboard since?

Kolb got the Eagles Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round pick, but at that point Kolb had seven NFL starts and had managed to keep the Eagles in first place after Vick got hurt in 2010.

[/QUOTE]

Umm, when you have Welker and Hernandez being targeted 20 times per game and Lloyd getting scraps, of course the 4th option whether it's Stallworth in 1 game or Branch in 10, the 4th target isn't  going to get stats here.

The point is, no other team has this kind of a benchwarming street signing arrangement like BB does.

I wouldn't be shocked if BB needed it, he could call Gerard Warren tomorroe. Admit it, BB has had these arranagements for years and it's a testament to him not leaving stones unturned and how much vets respect him.

[/QUOTE]

Do you ever get tired of lieing?

Targets to date:

Welker 162, 

Lloyd 125 

Hern 76  

Gronk 75

WOODY 50

Branch 28, replaced Edelmans 32

Where are the 20 targets for Welk and Hern and where are the bench warmers you speak of?  What was your point again?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind, Mallett was a 1st rd projected pick. The only reason why his stock dropped was because of immaturity issues. 

I am telling you right now, people around this league see a BB coached player and it's a wanted commodity, without question.  Look at how many times BB cuts a player here, as poor as they might be here, and other teams quickly take  flyer on the player. It happens more than other team in this league. Absolute truth.  I'd even bet money the main reason was drafted was to deal him 2-3 years later, with no real intent on turning the keys to him, barring a Brady injury in that time.

I'd rather acquire Mallett for example than waste a 1st rder on Matt Barkley, for example.  You have to understand the market.

It's amazing to me how fans like you don't see the forest for the trees and completely miss the point.  You just did it twice in each of your responses. It's amazing how shortsighted people like you are.

[/QUOTE]

Your asking folks to understand the market but your concept of wasting a 3rd round draft choice on a young player only to hold on a trade him a few years later while he rides the bench as Brady's back up makes little sense either. Mallet's value if anything has probably bottomed  out because he warms the bench with no chance to let other GMs see what he can do. If anything the Pats will only get a lower draft choice for him now. 

With the need for players on defense in the past few years why would BB waste a valuable 3rd round pick on a player only to have him sit on the bench and wait to be traded a few years later. There is litlle if any logic to your argument. 

Hetch

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind, Mallett was a 1st rd projected pick. The only reason why his stock dropped was because of immaturity issues. 

[/QUOTE]

Very true.  And the guy is tall with a strong arm.  He is not Brian Hoyer.  At worst he is worth a 3rd round pick next year, but as you've pointed out this year's QB crop is expected to be weak so a higher pick is not out of the question.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Do you ever get tired of lieing?

Targets to date:

Welker 162, Lloyd 125 Hern 76  Gronk 75 WOODY 50 Branch 28, replaced Edelmans 32

Where are the 20 targets for Welk and Hern and where are the bench warmers you speak of?  What was your point again?

[/QUOTE]

Pezz, 

There are so many folks who post here, make blanket statements with no back up. If they would only check stats once and a while it would be nice.

Somone the other day on Bleacher report was picking on another person for misinformation correcting someone stating Andrew Luck throws the ball 28-30 times a game. If this knumskull would  have checked his facts before trying correct someone else he would have known Luck averages 40 tosses per game, 15 games with 599 attempts. At least in my math book 15X40=600 or close enough to 599.

Hetch 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Mallett hasn't done anything that would draw anyone into giving up a high pick for him. Not his fault.....he's learning behind TB

That being said, Mallett ain't going anywhere.....period.

Remember now.....I called his pick in the 3rd round....

(still getting mileage out of it) 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am telling you right now, people around this league see a BB coached player and it's a wanted commodity, without question.  Look at how many times BB cuts a player here, as poor as they might be here, and other teams quickly take  flyer on the player. It happens more than other team in this league. Absolute truth.  I'd even bet money the main reason was drafted was to deal him 2-3 years later, with no real intent on turning the keys to him, barring a Brady injury in that time.

I'd rather acquire Mallett for example than waste a 1st rder on Matt Barkley, for example.  You have to understand the market.

It's amazing to me how fans like you don't see the forest for the trees and completely miss the point.  You just did it twice in each of your responses. It's amazing how shortsighted people like you are.

[/QUOTE]

Your asking folks to understand the market but your concept of wasting a 3rd round draft choice on a young player only to hold on a trade him a few years later while he rides the bench as Brady's back up makes little sense either. Mallet's value if anything has probably bottomed  out because he warms the bench with no chance to let other GMs see what he can do. If anything the Pats will only get a lower draft choice for him now. 

With the need for players on defense in the past few years why would BB waste a valuable 3rd round pick on a player only to have him sit on the bench and wait to be traded a few years later. There is litlle if any logic to your argument. 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

Not really.   All it does is show how BB can control drafts. Also, keep in mind Mallett came out of a draft where BB had extra picks in the top 2 or 3 rounds.  So, it's like an embarrassment of riches to begin with.

If BB is adding picks into rounds in every draft, he's doubling his odds that he hits. 

I've explained this concept before, but that's what he likes to do and it's really hard to argue with the results. He knows it's a QB driven league and he knows it's hard to find a QB, so if they groom one and don't waste a top rd pick on it, the return could be as high as  2nd rder. I repeat, Mallett was meant to go in the 1st rd that year.  Before the draft there were some stories about him partying and then showing up late to a visit with the Panthers.  

We all know what it means for BB to go into a draft with multiple top rd picks. There is no logic to this?

Really? It's just some wild mistake BB keeps repeating?  Sure about that?  I could see if BB didn't have extra picks in the draft he took Mallett in and whiffed on his other picks, but that's not the case at all.

It's comical to me how people challenge me, don't really do homework or think things through, and then look dumb at the end.

Here is BB's 2011 draft:

1st Round – Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
    2nd Round – Ras-I Dowling, DB, Virginia
    2nd Round – Shane Vereen, RB, Cal
    3rd Round – Stevan Ridley, RB, LSU
    3rd Round – Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
    5th Round – Marcus Cannon, OL, TCU
    5th Round – Lee Smith, TE, Marshall
    6th Round – Markell Carter, OLB, Central Arkansas
    7th Round – Malcolm Williams, CB, Marshall

Solder, Vereen, Ridley and Cannon are all hits to various degrees. If he gets a 2nd rder back for a guy they don't need if the goal is to have Brady until he's 39, maybe 40, going into a 2013 draft for example with an additional pick, means the whole thing was a waste? That makes no sense. It's only NOT a waste, it's more genius from BB and again another reason why other fanbases are jealous.

That's like saying BB dealing Cassel away was a bad idea, turning a 7th rd pick into a high 2nd rder 4 years later because Cassel "held a clipboard".

Teams want QBs, especially ones being tutored in NE.   BB knows this.

[/QUOTE]

You're full of yourself. When Mallets gone, most likely cut or traded for a lower draft pick I'll remember your backward logic.  As far as people challenging you, it's a free board and we are all free to say what we want when we disagree with your logic. I didn't exactly see teams lining up to take on Hoyer when he was released !!

Hetch 

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

[QUOTE]

You think you're so intelligent with your little troll weekly review stuff here, but you just proved you aren't.  It's a bad thing that BB adds draft picks to future drafts by leveraging chips?

You either aren't very bright or shouldn't be talking about things you know little about.

[/QUOTE]

TexasPat does a GREAT job with his weekly breakdown.  He is one of the most knowledgable people on this board.  I disagree with him, though, about his comment here about Mallett.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

I wouldn't mind Cassel as a backup if Mallet walks or is traded.

As somebody else said, I personally cannot see Mallet staying here if Brady really wants to play 3-4 more years. I would not want Cassel as my favorite teams starter, but I think he could be a solid backup. We have already seen what he can do here and that was w/o Gronk and Hernandez.

Some guys just need a change of scenery. I don't think Cassel is as bad as he has looked in his past 1-2 years in KC.

25. This post has been removed.