Cassel In - Mallett Out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Re: Cassel In - Mallett Out?

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's like saying BB dealing Cassel away was a bad idea, turning a 7th rd pick into a high 2nd rder 4 years later because Cassel "held a clipboard".

Teams want QBs, especially ones being tutored in NE.   BB knows this.

[/QUOTE]

What is this statement based on? The fact that Kansas City traded for Cassel and he turned out a below average QB? Did anyone show even a drop of interest in Hoyer when BB cut him?

The price paid for Cassel had to do with him playing an entire season at QB and getting a team to 11-5. Do you really think that KC would have made that deal if Cassel had not played the 2008 season?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

If the Pats can get a number of picks for Mallett I would do it, esp. is Cassel is back.  Yes, Mallett was 1st round talent (to some) coming out in the draft, but I don't think he's shown enough to warrant the picks that Pats would want to move him.  To me, the point is moot because the value isn't there, but you never know I guess.  A year ago some people were wondering when Hoyer was going to fetch a 1st rounder, which I always thought was laughable.  I may be wrong, and would be happy to be wrong in this case, but to me Mallett is still an unknown and I can't see someone giving up a high pick. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to IdidntDoIt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes he does....but he loves life and the family too. He will turn the page without thinking twice about it. He's not your normal NFL player.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, I would have to agree. He's different. Of course he's going to say he's going to play 5-6 more years, that's what he's supposed to say.

He's gone in 3.

Be a sad day that's for sure.

[/QUOTE]

You guys kill me. Different from what? He's getting paid an ungodly amount, he's an attention junkie like Favre and Manning and the rest of them, don't kid yourself. That's why he became a quarterback in the first place. That's the mindset you need to succeed and that's what he has.  Maybe even more so than those guys.  

He's not a low key, out of the limelight guy.  He's the opposite of that. He's doing commercials and setting records. He could have married Mary Anne from back home, but he chose Ginger, the supermodel from Brazil. After the fling with the movie star.  How's that different exactly? Oh yeah, it's more flamboyant.  Besides maybe Namath, name a guy who's been more Hollywood.

He's competitive, he wants to go down as the greatest. He's no different, maybe he wants you to think he is, but he isn't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind Cassel as a backup if Mallet walks or is traded.

As somebody else said, I personally cannot see Mallet staying here if Brady really wants to play 3-4 more years. I would not want Cassel as my favorite teams starter, but I think he could be a solid backup. We have already seen what he can do here and that was w/o Gronk and Hernandez.

Some guys just need a change of scenery. I don't think Cassel is as bad as he has looked in his past 1-2 years in KC.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  It's not a coincidence Weis had them doing well and everyone responding.  Alex Smith had a pathetic 7 different coordinators his first 7 years. That's terrible investment management by SF. They got it right with Harbaugh and his staff last year and now we Vernon Davis lost without Smith and their offense sketchier taking a major gamble on a gimmick QB in Kaepernick.

[/QUOTE]

Duh, junior. They had a joke schedule that year. Same as he had in 2008. And I told you 2 years ago he was not a very good QB, but you insisted he was the real deal. Now, you are rendered a pathetic whimpering fool pleading about your "contexts". LMAO@U

He may not be much more than a decent NFL backup (as I said the day he left) but he is one of the luckiest guys around. Him and Eli are tied for the luckiest QBs in the NFL.

[/QUOTE]

I think Eli beats him by a mile!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Mallett is the only other QB on BB's roster, and the only guy ahead of him is 35 years old.  BB seems to have some faith in Mallett's current ability to win some games and save the season if Brady ever goes down for, say, 4 weeks.   

Cassell has been flattened for four years in Kansas City and isn't the same guy any more.  He became the healthy backup QB in Kansas City to Brady Quinn, which is a pretty bad indictment of the man's play.  Wikipedia reports 9 interceptions and 5 fumbles in his last 5 games.  It doesn't sound like the Patriots' Cassell at all.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to nyjoseph's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I saw Adam Schefter on TV yesterday speculating that the Chiefs will release Cassel who has not worked out for them at all.  Obviously they will be drafting a QB at the top of the draft.  And they have Quinn as a backup.

He went on to say that the Pats could very well pick up MC as a backup.  Then trade Ryan Mallett, possibly for draft picks they are short of currently.

I think all of this is very plausible.  If I am RM's agent I do not let this kid wait around for possibly 5 more years without getting any playing time.  And the Pats might get a serviceable backup without giving up anything.

[/QUOTE]

If Mallett is not Tom Brady's heir apparent, that's a bad thing. The Pats spent a fairly high 3rd round pick to get Mallett. If he hasn't shown that he's goi the goods to be a good NFL QB, who would be willing to part with anything of consequence for him? As for Matt Cassel, who wants him back? The Pats need to find a young QB who they can groom to eventually replace the aging Brady. 

If the Pats don't win the SB this season, perhaps the time has come to entertain the idea of trading Brady for a bevy of high draft picks? If that happens and Tom gets traded, than bringing back Cassel to hold the fort while the Pats groom a long term replacement would make sense. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Brady is going anywhere.

As for Mallet, it might be that he has pretty good ability, some real upside but has a ways to go. ANd in any case he would likely sit for yet another three years or more if he stays here. If we can get a reasonably high 3rd round choice And assuming BB does not think he is giving away a top 10 QB then that might be viable. I just dont know where Mallet ranks in BBs book or anyone else's. Of course we would like to get more for him but I have no reason to expect that he currently can draw more. Perhaps just keeping him another year might raise his stock if in fact he is developing and can be showcased next preseason.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

if this were true, then i would expect to see a mallett play a lot of snaps this weekend. if not then this is a non-story

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to IdidntDoIt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes he does....but he loves life and the family too. He will turn the page without thinking twice about it. He's not your normal NFL player.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, I would have to agree. He's different. Of course he's going to say he's going to play 5-6 more years, that's what he's supposed to say.

He's gone in 3.

Be a sad day that's for sure.

[/QUOTE]

You guys kill me. Different from what? He's getting paid an ungodly amount, he's an attention junkie like Favre and Manning and the rest of them, don't kid yourself. That's why he became a quarterback in the first place. That's the mindset you need to succeed and that's what he has.  Maybe even more so than those guys.  

He's not a low key, out of the limelight guy.  He's the opposite of that. He's doing commercials and setting records. He could have married Mary Anne from back home, but he chose Ginger, the supermodel from Brazil. After the fling with the movie star.  How's that different exactly? Oh yeah, it's more flamboyant.  Besides maybe Namath, name a guy who's been more Hollywood.

He's competitive, he wants to go down as the greatest. He's no different, maybe he wants you to think he is, but he isn't.

[/QUOTE]

First of all Farve was not at all like Manning or Brady. He HATED all the prep. He loved playing.

But the point being made was that Brady is playing at his age (35 I think it is) like one of the very best of all time - in his prime. VERY few QBs play at or near their top at his age. THat plus he is still driven to play is what I beleive they were refering to.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mallett is the only other QB on BB's roster, and the only guy ahead of him is 35 years old.  BB seems to have some faith in Mallett's current ability to win some games and save the season if Brady ever goes down for, say, 4 weeks.   

Cassell has been flattened for four years in Kansas City and isn't the same guy any more.  He became the healthy backup QB in Kansas City to Brady Quinn, which is a pretty bad indictment of the man's play.  Wikipedia reports 9 interceptions and 5 fumbles in his last 5 games.

[/QUOTE]

Cassel did 27 TDs and only 7 INTs under Weis in 2010.  Last year, his entire arsenal was IRd for the year, and he have another new coordinator this year.

I don't think a Pro Bowl season in 2010 means he's flattened out whatsoever.  Any QB needs stability in a system and an O Line or they have little chance.

What's a bad indictment is switching coordinators 4 years in a row and not bolstering the O Line in a passing league.

[/QUOTE]

What is so difficult for you to wrap that pea-brain of yours around that in 2010 MC had a joke schedule junior? Look  at  the  schedule, and get back to me about who they beat that didn't suck. I told you he would fail facing a real schedule in 2011 and again this year. I was right, you are wrong. Your constant excuses about "turf toe", "O-lines" and "OCs" that you call "context" the rest of us call "excuses".

It's hilarious how you make up excuses for chumps but the greatest NFL player of all-time gets nothing from you for playing the 2007 SB with a bad wheel and a bad O-line, and last SB having his best weapon hobbled. Learn the game junior.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First of all Farve was not at all like Manning or Brady. He HATED all the prep. He loved playing.

But the point being made was that Brady is playing at his age (35 I think it is) like one of the very best of all time - in his prime. VERY few QBs play at or near their top at his age. THat plus he is still driven to play is what I beleive they were refering to.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't referring to their work ethic, I was referring to their love for the spotlight and the fame. They're all peas in a pod, so are Brees and Rodgers and all the best ones. 

The other posters were saying that Brady would walk away from the game when he's still effective at 38 years old or something. I say there is nothing whatsoever to suggest that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

UMMM....... LIAR AND FRAUD!

Umm, when you have Welker and Hernandez being targeted 20 times per game and Lloyd getting scraps, of course the 4th option whether it's Stallworth in 1 game or Branch in 10, the 4th target isn't  going to get stats here.

Time to delete your account!  I see you deleted your last lying post.  LOL

[/QUOTE]

*sigh

I really hate defending Rusty, but you have such a tenuous grasp of the English language that I have no choice.

"Welker and Hernandez being targeted 20 times per game" does NOT mean they EACH get 20 targets.  It means they get 20 targets combined.  Welker is getting about 11 targets per game, and Hern is getting 9.  That means that Welker and Hernandez are being targeted 20 times per game.

I know words aren't your strong suit, so if you want me to put it in picture form, I'll bust out the Crayolas.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I saw Adam Schefter on TV yesterday speculating that the Chiefs will release Cassel who has not worked out for them at all.  Obviously they will be drafting a QB at the top of the draft.  And they have Quinn as a backup.

He went on to say that the Pats could very well pick up MC as a backup.  Then trade Ryan Mallett, possibly for draft picks they are short of currently.

I think all of this is very plausible.  If I am RM's agent I do not let this kid wait around for possibly 5 more years without getting any playing time.  And the Pats might get a serviceable backup without giving up anything.

[/QUOTE]

If Mallett is not Tom Brady's heir apparent, that's a bad thing. The Pats spent a fairly high 3rd round pick to get Mallett. If he hasn't shown that he's goi the goods to be a good NFL QB, who would be willing to part with anything of consequence for him? As for Matt Cassel, who wants him back? The Pats need to find a young QB who they can groom to eventually replace the aging Brady. 

If the Pats don't win the SB this season, perhaps the time has come to entertain the idea of trading Brady for a bevy of high draft picks? If that happens and Tom gets traded, than bringing back Cassel to hold the fort while the Pats groom a long term replacement would make sense. 

[/QUOTE]

I doubt that Kraft or Belicheck would even think of trading Brady? He's still got 3 or 4 productive seasons left and likely retires as a Patriot. Mallet's time will come or like Cassel once his rookie deal is up for negoiation, they'll look at trading him. End of the day it's a decision that won't have to be made for few more years. 

[/QUOTE]

You think Mallett wants to stick around for 7 years stunting his growth? I don't.   BB takes QBs in drafts to develop them and leverage them as chips.

[/QUOTE]

Beside Cassel who played a full year before being traded, what other QB has BB turned into draft picks that he drafted ?....

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I doubt that Kraft or Belicheck would even think of trading Brady? He's still got 3 or 4 productive seasons left and likely retires as a Patriot. Mallet's time will come or like Cassel once his rookie deal is up for negoiation, they'll look at trading him. End of the day it's a decision that won't have to be made for few more years. 

[/QUOTE]

You think Mallett wants to stick around for 7 years stunting his growth? I don't.   BB takes QBs in drafts to develop them and leverage them as chips.

[/QUOTE]

Beside Cassel who played a full year before being traded, what other QB has BB turned into draft picks that he drafted ?....

[/QUOTE]

Well, he attempted to do it by drafting, O'connell but obviously he didn't work out.

[/QUOTE]

Didn't work out too well with Davey either junior.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

To nobody in particular,

Cassel in a better situation would probably be revived, we can't really speculate if Brady had gone to a substandard NFL franchise because he's been on the prototype of professional sports excellence from the very beginning of his career.  Long before BB, Krafty invested in Parcells and then Carroll, so it started early, before Brady ever got there, Brady just took it to the highest level and has kept it there ever since.

Mallet now is worth more than ever before in his short NFL career, you don't get seeped in the premier NFL franchise under the tutelage of the best coach and player in the game and have your stock drop. Not when you're only weakness coming out of college was maturity and you've grown a lot in that time.  

Not for nothing but he was the most physically gifted college coming out in that draft, the list of QB's who got passed on early for public drunkenness in college is long; Dan Marino, Rapistburger and now Mallet. Don't say X amount of people passing him up is an indicator of anything, a bunch of people passed on Randy Moss and Warren Sapp also, the fact that BB took him and he is the lone back up behind Brady says more than what didn't happen to him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Marino and Roethlisberger were still drafted in the first round. Marino definately lost standing because of a dissapointing senior season where the partying rumours really got a lot of traction.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

UMMM....... LIAR AND FRAUD!

Umm, when you have Welker and Hernandez being targeted 20 times per game and Lloyd getting scraps, of course the 4th option whether it's Stallworth in 1 game or Branch in 10, the 4th target isn't  going to get stats here.

Time to delete your account!  I see you deleted your last lying post.  LOL

[/QUOTE]

*sigh

I really hate defending Rusty, but you have such a tenuous grasp of the English language that I have no choice.

"Welker and Hernandez being targeted 20 times per game" does NOT mean they EACH get 20 targets.  It means they get 20 targets combined.  Welker is getting about 11 targets per game, and Hern is getting 9.  That means that Welker and Hernandez are being targeted 20 times per game.

I know words aren't your strong suit, so if you want me to put it in picture form, I'll bust out the Crayolas.

[/QUOTE]

Really?  Welker and Hernandez get 20 between them and that leaves scraps for Lloyd and Branch and Stallworth (who played in haf a game)

Think again as it is your grasp that's lacking.  So, now TB only throws 20 + scraps times a game?    Seems to me 20 is about half (or less) of what he throws and I was correct that crusto was wrong (or lying) in saying  that they each get 20.  That is the only way that would leave scraps for any one. 

You might want to keep those crayolas for yourself and a rainy day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, he attempted to do it by drafting, O'connell but obviously he didn't work out.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe. But your statement that bb drafts qb's and turns them into draft chips is incorrect less cassel which he had no choice to play and couldn't resign with Brady. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]

Mallett hasn't done anything that would draw anyone into giving up a high pick for him. Not his fault.....he's learning behind TB

That being said, Mallett ain't going anywhere.....period.

Remember now.....I called his pick in the 3rd round....

(still getting mileage out of it) 

[/QUOTE]

"Mallett hasn't done anything..." Thats the whole point nomorepensionlooting!! Malletts talent has never been in question. it has been his immaturity. Mallett has not been in trouble off field, not missed any meetings, not called out of any meetings cause he is hungover (ala his pre-draft meeting with Carolina). Just holding a clipboard and not getting in trouble has increased his stock!