Cassel In - Mallett Out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Cassel In - Mallett Out?

[/QUOTE]

Beside Cassel who played a full year before being traded, what other QB has BB turned into draft picks that he drafted ?....

[/QUOTE]

Tom Brady enabled them to trade Drew Bledsoe for a #1.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

I saw Adam Schefter on TV yesterday speculating that the Chiefs will release Cassel who has not worked out for them at all.  Obviously they will be drafting a QB at the top of the draft.  And they have Quinn as a backup.

He went on to say that the Pats could very well pick up MC as a backup.  Then trade Ryan Mallett, possibly for draft picks they are short of currently.

I think all of this is very plausible.  If I am RM's agent I do not let this kid wait around for possibly 5 more years without getting any playing time.  And the Pats might get a serviceable backup without giving up anything.

If Mallett is not Tom Brady's heir apparent, that's a bad thing. The Pats spent a fairly high 3rd round pick to get Mallett. If he hasn't shown that he's goi the goods to be a good NFL QB, who would be willing to part with anything of consequence for him? As for Matt Cassel, who wants him back? The Pats need to find a young QB who they can groom to eventually replace the aging Brady. 

If the Pats don't win the SB this season, perhaps the time has come to entertain the idea of trading Brady for a bevy of high draft picks? If that happens and Tom gets traded, than bringing back Cassel to hold the fort while the Pats groom a long term replacement would make sense. 

I doubt that Kraft or Belicheck would even think of trading Brady? He's still got 3 or 4 productive seasons left and likely retires as a Patriot. Mallet's time will come or like Cassel once his rookie deal is up for negoiation, they'll look at trading him. End of the day it's a decision that won't have to be made for few more years. 

You think Mallett wants to stick around for 7 years stunting his growth? I don't.   BB takes QBs in drafts to develop them and leverage them as chips.

Beside Cassel who played a full year before being traded, what other QB has BB turned into draft picks that he drafted ?....

Well, he attempted to do it by drafting, O'connell but obviously he didn't work out.

Didn't work out too well with Davey either junior.

The point is, he continually does it.  Did indy with manning?  No.

He doesn't continually do that junior. HE NEVER DOES THAT! He had to play Cassel because Brady was hurt and against a weak schedule Cassel looked better than he was. Cassel's contract was up and no way in hell was BB going to give that guy the phoney overinflated market value he was going to get, even if he didn't have Brady. So he got lucky and the stiff Pioli coughed up a 2nd rounder for him. How's Pioli lookin' on that now?

I have a new project for you junior. It has two parts. First, stop just making things up, and second,  Learn The Game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

To nobody in particular,

Cassel in a better situation would probably be revived, we can't really speculate if Brady had gone to a substandard NFL franchise because he's been on the prototype of professional sports excellence from the very beginning of his career.  Long before BB, Krafty invested in Parcells and then Carroll, so it started early, before Brady ever got there, Brady just took it to the highest level and has kept it there ever since.

Mallet now is worth more than ever before in his short NFL career, you don't get seeped in the premier NFL franchise under the tutelage of the best coach and player in the game and have your stock drop. Not when you're only weakness coming out of college was maturity and you've grown a lot in that time.  

Not for nothing but he was the most physically gifted college coming out in that draft, the list of QB's who got passed on early for public drunkenness in college is long; Dan Marino, Rapistburger and now Mallet. Don't say X amount of people passing him up is an indicator of anything, a bunch of people passed on Randy Moss and Warren Sapp also, the fact that BB took him and he is the lone back up behind Brady says more than what didn't happen to him.

Wozzy I kind of disagree with you. I think the Patriots were a "substandard NFL franchise" when TB12 got here. Dont forget under Pete Carroll we regressed every year going 10-6, 9-7, then finally 8-8. We had the Terry Glenn fiasco (Q- Do you want to play for the Pats? A- I DID. D-I-D! ) We had players going up the back stairway to Bobby Grier. Then we went 5-11 in BB's first year with TB12 the (4th string QB). Some folks dont remember but BB's second year we started 1-3 then barely beat the Charges in OT to go 2-3. Some folks, especially the media, were calling for BB to be fired. Then Bledsoe gets hurt, he goes with TB12 and was able to stabilize things. Point being when TB12 was drafted we wee far from a stable franchise his presence helped to stabilize us.

Other than that i agree with all your other points!

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

How many teams in the recent history of the NFL have ever drafted a QB that never really played (or played only because the top guy got hurt) and then was able to trade him for anything significant (at least a third round pick)?  Besides Cassell, I can only come up with Schaub and Flynn. I'm sure there are some others.  

Bledsoe was a different deal. He got hurt and the coach just liked the backup better, similar to what's happening in San Fran now and has happened many times elsewhere.

Of course, the 49ers did that with Montana, developed him with the idea of trading him off for picks once they had the guy they really wanted in place. Sure, he won 4 SBs along the way, but that was just luck...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

How many teams in the recent history of the NFL have ever drafted a QB that never really played (or played only because the top guy got hurt) and then was able to trade him for anything significant (at least a third round pick)?  Besides Cassell, I can only come up with Schaub and Flynn. I'm sure there are some others.  

Bledsoe was a different deal. He got hurt and the coach just liked the backup better, similar to what's happening in San Fran now and has happened many times elsewhere.

I guess you could say the 49ers did that with Montana, developed him with the idea of trading him off for picks once they had the guy they really wanted in place? Sure, he won 4 SBs along the way, but that was just luck...

• BB liked the way Brady took care of the ball and didn't like the way Drew didn't. Simple as that.

EXACTLY. What's comical about Babe and his inability to praise BB's genius is the fact that Brady was ALSO a QB drafted intended to be developed, but behind Bledsoe. Obviously, things changed QUICKLY with Brady ascending to an elite QB right away, but conceptually, it's very clear that BB likes to do this every 3rd draft or so.  

• All coaches/GMs draft QBs here and there junior. That's not genius. It's what they do.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I guess you could say the 49ers did that with Montana, developed him with the idea of trading him off for picks once they had the guy they really wanted in place? Sure, he won 4 SBs along the way, but that was just luck...

BB liked the way Brady took care of the ball and didn't like the way Drew didn't. Simple as that.

No wonder. I still remember the play in the championship game aginst Pittsburgh where Bledsoe was getting sacked and just flung the ball over his head towards the LOS with no idea where it was going. WTF Drew?

• This post has been removed.

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

I saw Adam Schefter on TV yesterday speculating that the Chiefs will release Cassel who has not worked out for them at all.  Obviously they will be drafting a QB at the top of the draft.  And they have Quinn as a backup.

He went on to say that the Pats could very well pick up MC as a backup.  Then trade Ryan Mallett, possibly for draft picks they are short of currently.

I think all of this is very plausible.  If I am RM's agent I do not let this kid wait around for possibly 5 more years without getting any playing time.  And the Pats might get a serviceable backup without giving up anything.

If Mallett is not Tom Brady's heir apparent, that's a bad thing. The Pats spent a fairly high 3rd round pick to get Mallett. If he hasn't shown that he's goi the goods to be a good NFL QB, who would be willing to part with anything of consequence for him? As for Matt Cassel, who wants him back? The Pats need to find a young QB who they can groom to eventually replace the aging Brady. 

If the Pats don't win the SB this season, perhaps the time has come to entertain the idea of trading Brady for a bevy of high draft picks? If that happens and Tom gets traded, than bringing back Cassel to hold the fort while the Pats groom a long term replacement would make sense. 

I doubt that Kraft or Belicheck would even think of trading Brady? He's still got 3 or 4 productive seasons left and likely retires as a Patriot. Mallet's time will come or like Cassel once his rookie deal is up for negoiation, they'll look at trading him. End of the day it's a decision that won't have to be made for few more years. 

You think Mallett wants to stick around for 7 years stunting his growth? I don't.   BB takes QBs in drafts to develop them and leverage them as chips.

Well, he attempted to do it by drafting, O'connell but obviously he didn't work out.

Didn't work out too well with Davey either junior.

The point is, he continually does it.  Did indy with manning?  No.

He doesn't continually do that junior. HE NEVER DOES THAT! He had to play Cassel because Brady was hurt and against a weak schedule Cassel looked better than he was. Cassel's contract was up and no way in hell was BB going to give that guy the phoney overinflated market value he was going to get, even if he didn't have Brady. So he got lucky and the stiff Pioli coughed up a 2nd rounder for him. How's Pioli lookin' on that now?

I have a new project for you junior. It has two parts. First, stop just making things up, and second,  Learn The Game.

Umm YES he does. Every third draft or so he drafts a QB and the media sits there asks why, almost mocking him because he has Brady and he doesn't need another.

Um, no he doesn't. The point you made was that he is drafting QBs to trade for picks. He did that ONCE! And that was simply a matter of circumstances falling together, so he didn't even do it once.

I need to amend this, Flynn was a FA (not a trade), so it's just Cassell and Schaub that I can think of.

Of course, the 49ers did that with Montana, developed him with the idea of trading him off for picks once they had the guy they really wanted in place. Sure, he won 4 SBs along the way, but that was just luck...

And there is no doubt that BB is channeling Walsh's approach there. No doubt.  Walsh specifically tracked down Young, trading for him, as a long termm startegic plan in case Montana got hurt or they did have to move on from Montana, for the BETTERMENT OF THE TEAM.

Absolutely.  

It's uncommon because it takes a stable coach/GM situation where they're not worried about losing their jobs and can afford to be concerned about three and five years down the road. How many teams have that luxury?  

Now, you see many teams following suit and cultviating multiple QBs. One, QBs obviously get injured.  Two, a developed QB is cheaper than a pricier back up.  And 3, as we see some teams are able to use those developed QBs as trade chips to invest in future drafts.

YOU LOSE

Junior, teams have been doing this since football began. LMAO@U

Lose to you?

Never    happened    even    once.

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Mallett is the only other QB on BB's roster, and the only guy ahead of him is 35 years old.  BB seems to have some faith in Mallett's current ability to win some games and save the season if Brady ever goes down for, say, 4 weeks.   

Cassell has been flattened for four years in Kansas City and isn't the same guy any more.  He became the healthy backup QB in Kansas City to Brady Quinn, which is a pretty bad indictment of the man's play.  Wikipedia reports 9 interceptions and 5 fumbles in his last 5 games.  It doesn't sound like the Patriots' Cassell at all.

Well, he doesn't have a good team and a great HC and a whole lot of YAC and a joke schedule propping him up these days.

No, no, no.  I said he drafts QBs as a way to cultivate them to have a Plan B.

You said... "BB takes QBs in drafts to develop them and leverage them as chips."

Umm YES he does. Every third draft or so he drafts a QB and the media sits there asks why, almost mocking him because he has Brady and he doesn't need another.

Um, no he doesn't. The point you made was that he is drafting QBs to trade for picks. He did that ONCE! And that was simply a matter of circumstances falling together, so he didn't even do it once.

True, but that's how it has to be. Nobody will trade for a backup unless there is some playing record to go by. Like with Cassell and with Schaub, who played enough when Vick was hurt to show he could make plays. It just doesn't happen very much. Typically, the backup isn't any good, e.g., Painter, or he's too good and the team he's with decides they don't want to part with him. The Packers could have traded Flynn, but decided not to. The Niners could have dealt Young. The Pats could have moved Brady, and many thought they should have after 2001.

It's uncommon because it takes a stable coach/GM situation where they're not worried about losing their jobs and can afford to be concerned about three and five years down the road. How many teams have that luxury?  

About the same number who have the luxury of not having to use 1st or 2nd round premium picks fishing for the franchise QB.

Did you just type that yet you can't see Brady struggling in this area NOW as oppposed to earlier in his career?

Do you also NOT see why that's more of a reality than it was for Brady earlier in his career? If you throw MORE, the chances of MORE bad throws or decisions occurs.

Duh.

Junior, you live in a da da land. Since 2007 Brady's INT% has been 1.5%. Pre 2007 it was 2.5%. He clearly takes even better care of the ball in the second half of his career than he did in the exceptional first half of his career. Learn the damned game junior.

• Sections
    Shortcuts