Cassel In - Mallett Out?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Cassel In - Mallett Out?

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No, no, no.  I said he drafts QBs as a way to cultivate them to have a Plan B.  with Brady in his prime, barring him getting hurt, yes, the idea WOULD be to unload a developed QB for a pick.

YES.

He did it with Cassel and it worked out only because of Brady's injury in 2008.  In this case with Mallett, he was a projected 1st rd talent, which changes the dynamic of what his value means earlier than what Cassel/s turned into in 2008/2009.

You have this childish habit of only being able to see things in blacks or whites.  That's embarrassing for someone your age.

Kevin O'Connell wasn't drafted in 2008 to take over for Brady or to bump Cassel, Gramps.  Wake up.

[/QUOTE]

Junior, let me try to explain drafting for you. It's not rocket science. You balance needs with what talent is available when. If you get to the 3rd round and there just aren't a lot of guys on your board that seem like they are good and also fit a need, you look at guys you think might be good but they don't fit a need. If that guy happens to be a QB you take him rather than that LB you need but you feel just won't work out. It's really that simple.

BB knows well that Brady like any player is one hit away from being out for the season or even out of the game for good. He took O'Connell because of the reasons I just mentioned. Hopefully he would be better than Cassel, who BB knew, just like I did, wasn't anything special.

That's all it is junior. It's not some unbelievable mastermind's plan to dominate the NFL. It's just trying to draft the best guys you can get when it's your turn.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd be very surprised to see them trade away Mallett.

[/QUOTE]

Why is that? Many teams like to bring in 2 young QBs for competiton and with a very thin QB class this year in the draft, the price may be right.

If Brady is going to play 3-4 more years, Mallet's growth would have been stunted here riding the bench.

[/QUOTE]

Grooming a young QB to take over for a HOFer works in a situation like Rogers and Favre. Rogers was his understudy for 3 seasons and was given the job when Favre was 39.

Brady will be 37 after Mallett has 3 full seasons as a backup and none of us expect him to be pushed out of the door at that time. He says he wants to play until 40... which would be the 2017 season. Mallet's EIGHT NFL season... no way he sticks around that long.

Cassel is a perfect backup here (the same way Romeo is perfect as our DC). If Mallett can get a pick in the 35-50 range this year... or a 3rd rd pick in the 65-80 range with a future #1-#3 pick (performance based) thrown in, that would be a great move for this team.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

For example, look at Pitt, SD, Giants, Balt, or any other team with a higher level QB. Who are their backups? They aren't guys who have been drafted with a grooming process in place, are they?

No.

[/QUOTE]

Junior. Some teams just take a different approach to the backup QB. BB is willing to draft a little higher looking for a backup than some others who prefer to find theirs in the FA heap.

The Steelers have drafted a couple of QBs in the 5th round since they got BR. The Chargers have used a 3rd and a 5th since Rivers came along. The Ravens hust got Falcco in 2008 but did spend a 6th rounder on a QB. The Giants a 5th and a 6th since Eli. Over the time since Eli and Rivers made the scene BB has drafted two 3rds and a 7th. That's not an "oh wow" difference in philosophy. Teams tend to take a stab at a QB now and then, even if they have a great one already.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Now, you see many teams following suit and cultviating multiple QBs. One, QBs obviously get injured.  Two, a developed QB is cheaper than a pricier back up.  And 3, as we see some teams are able to use those developed QBs as trade chips to invest in future drafts.

YOU LOSE

[/QUOTE]

Junior, teams have been doing this since football began. LMAO@U

Lose to you?

Never    happened    even    once.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, it just happened again. Funny how I have to lay everything out for you because you don't see the forest for the trees, scramble to try to challenge me, lose outright, and then claim you didn't just get blugeoned.

Priceless.

We're all laughing at you, Gramps. Trust me.

[/QUOTE]

Fixed your screwed up quote work for you junior.

Like I told you junior, "the voices" don't really count as, "we".

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No, no, no.  I said he drafts QBs as a way to cultivate them to have a Plan B.  with Brady in his prime, barring him getting hurt, yes, the idea WOULD be to unload a developed QB for a pick.

YES.

He did it with Cassel and it worked out only because of Brady's injury in 2008.  In this case with Mallett, he was a projected 1st rd talent, which changes the dynamic of what his value means earlier than what Cassel/s turned into in 2008/2009.

You have this childish habit of only being able to see things in blacks or whites.  That's embarrassing for someone your age.

Kevin O'Connell wasn't drafted in 2008 to take over for Brady or to bump Cassel, Gramps.  Wake up.

[/QUOTE]

Junior, let me try to explain drafting for you. It's not rocket science. You balance needs with what talent is available when. If you get to the 3rd round and there just aren't a lot of guys on your board that seem like they are good and also fit a need, you look at guys you think might be good but they don't fit a need. If that guy happens to be a QB you take him rather than that LB you need but you feel just won't work out. It's really that simple.

BB knows well that Brady like any player is one hit away from being out for the season or even out of the game for good. He took O'Connell because of the reasons I just mentioned. Hopefully he would be better than Cassel, who BB knew, just like I did, wasn't anything special.

That's all it is junior. It's not some unbelievable mastermind's plan to dominate the NFL. It's just trying to draft the best guys you can get when it's your turn.

[/QUOTE]

So, you;re saying, in the 3rd rd of the 2008 draft, the best player at any position was Kevin O'Connell at QB for BB's board, and that the fact they chose QB there had nothing to do with what I am talking about above?

You can't be this dumb.  BB clearly used that selection MORE SO to take a flyer on a guy they liked in college at THAT POSITION specifically to groom him behind Brady.  They could have easi;ly chosen a greater need position in the 3rd rd, but chose not to to satisfy the approach I am talking about above. It didn't work. That's about the only complaint you have there.

Just drop it.  You're a tool. Anything BB does that is good, you either BASH or try to act like it's not that good.

You're a sick man.

[/QUOTE]

Junior, try to follow. Apparently you can't read. I said they weigh need vs how good they think a player can be. This isn't a new concept. It's as old as the game itself. They looked at their needs, they looked at their board and they decided O'Connell might be an upgrade to Cassell and their other options didn't look like they would improve the team that much at that point. Why do you feel the need to try to complicate something that has never been that complicated?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

For example, look at Pitt, SD, Giants, Balt, or any other team with a higher level QB. Who are their backups? They aren't guys who have been drafted with a grooming process in place, are they?

No.

[/QUOTE]

Junior. Some teams just take a different approach to the backup QB. BB is willing to draft a little higher looking for a backup than some others who prefer to find theirs in the FA heap.

The Steelers have drafted a couple of QBs in the 5th round since they got BR. The Chargers have used a 3rd and a 5th since Rivers came along. The Ravens hust got Falcco in 2008 but did spend a 6th rounder on a QB. The Giants a 5th and a 6th since Eli. Over the time since Eli and Rivers made the scene BB has drafted two 3rds and a 7th. That's not an "oh wow" difference in philosophy. Teams tend to take a stab at a QB now and then, even if they have a great one already.

[/QUOTE]

Did they make the team and did those GMs trade those QBs later?

[/QUOTE]

Did BB trade his QBs later?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

When I say "we", I mean the many people that stand beside me here, which aren't trolls and Washers like you.

Trust me.

[/QUOTE]

Junior, nobody agrees with your shtick. A few lost souls here and there agree with a couple things you say, but the vast majority are happy when you are banned. Wake up and smell the coffee.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes.  Bledsoe and Cassel.  Bledsoe due to Brady being better for the modern game and Cassel due to Brady;s injury.

[/QUOTE]

Cassel got traded because his contract was up and he lucked out and got on the field when Brady went down and had a wuss schedule.

It wasn't part of a BB master plan to draft and trade him as you say it is.

And Brady being a future HOFer was a no brainer to keep and trade the INT prone Drew.

That wasn't part of a BB master plan to draft and trade him either, as you say it is.

So basically, I have proven you dead wrong for the hundredsomthingth time junior. LMAO

You are a good sport though. Most that have been so humiliated as you would have left long ago.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

You'll have to excuse me for not reading five pages of Matt Cassel drivel, so if the following point has already been made, please accept my apologies:

Matt Cassel blows.

He always has blown and he always will blow.

If I have to listen to that fraudulent 11-5 argument one more time I believe my head may well just explode. Ryan Mallet may or may not be an NFL quarterback, but to bring back some hack that you pawned off on an idiotic organization for a handful of magic beans . . .   well . . .  let's just say I'm not seeing it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You'll have to excuse me for not reading five pages of Matt Cassel drivel, so if the following point has already been made, please accept my apologies:

Matt Cassel blows.

He always has blown and he always will blow.

If I have to listen to that fraudulent 11-5 argument one more time I believe my head may well just explode. Ryan Mallet may or may not be an NFL quarterback, but to bring back some hack that you pawned off on an idiotic organization for a handful of magic beans . . .   well . . .  let's just say I'm not seeing it.

[/QUOTE]

You have nailed it quite well.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes.  Bledsoe and Cassel.  Bledsoe due to Brady being better for the modern game and Cassel due to Brady;s injury.

[/QUOTE]

Cassel got traded because his contract was up and he lucked out and got on the field when Brady went down and had a wuss schedule.

It wasn't part of a BB master plan to draft and trade him as you say it is.

And Brady being a future HOFer was a no brainer to keep and trade the INT prone Drew.

That wasn't part of a BB master plan to draft and trade him either, as you say it is.

So basically, I have proven you dead wrong for the hundredsomthingth time junior. LMAO

You are a good sport though. Most that have been so humiliated as you would have left long ago.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say that was a master plan with Cassel. I said that they draft and develop in a system instead of spending money on a FA back up QB.  It's a rare philosophy that really no other NFL franchises use.

Everyone here who is reading this clearly sees my points, but you have chosen to either feature HORRENDOUS reading comprehension or look to deflect away from BB as a great GM, always keeping his pipeline going even with a HOF QB in his prime.

You're a sad, sad, sick individual. Seriously. You really are.  The fact you just tried to somehow act like anything I just said is not accurate is pathetic.

Look at yourself. So embarrassed by previous debate bludgeonings, you use other threads in the future to try to regain your footing here.  Selfish and everyone sees it.

[/QUOTE]

Junior, again, you said....

Teams want QBs, especially ones being tutored in NE.   BB knows this.

"BB takes QBs in drafts to develop them and leverage them as chips."

Now you're saying...

"they draft and develop in a system instead of spending money on a FA back up QB"

Looks like two different things to me. Nothing new from you though. Same old squirming when you get cornered like the rat you are.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to IdidntDoIt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh....one more thing....

For those that say Mallett is great......

For those that say he suxs....

Can anyone show me the body of his work which has led you to these conclusions?

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if he's good, I don't know if he's bad. But I do know there is a 90% chance he won't amount to much.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Teams want QBs, especially ones being tutored in NE.   BB knows this.

[/QUOTE]

You mean like how they were all lining up to give us a 2nd rounder for Hoyer? LMAO@U

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to nyjoseph's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I saw Adam Schefter on TV yesterday speculating that the Chiefs will release Cassel who has not worked out for them at all.  Obviously they will be drafting a QB at the top of the draft.  And they have Quinn as a backup.

He went on to say that the Pats could very well pick up MC as a backup.  Then trade Ryan Mallett, possibly for draft picks they are short of currently.

I think all of this is very plausible.  If I am RM's agent I do not let this kid wait around for possibly 5 more years without getting any playing time.  And the Pats might get a serviceable backup without giving up anything.

[/QUOTE]

If Mallett is not Tom Brady's heir apparent, that's a bad thing. The Pats spent a fairly high 3rd round pick to get Mallett. If he hasn't shown that he's goi the goods to be a good NFL QB, who would be willing to part with anything of consequence for him? As for Matt Cassel, who wants him back? The Pats need to find a young QB who they can groom to eventually replace the aging Brady. 

If the Pats don't win the SB this season, perhaps the time has come to entertain the idea of trading Brady for a bevy of high draft picks? If that happens and Tom gets traded, than bringing back Cassel to hold the fort while the Pats groom a long term replacement would make sense. 

[/QUOTE]

LOL

What a shock. TPat doesn't get it either.  Are you seriously this confused? Don't you think it's a little funny that the dumb media and fans always say "Why is BB drafting a QB so high with Brady there"?

They whiffed on O'Connell in 2008, but Mallett was a better player than O'Connell in college. If Mallett was made the team so far, with BB keeping only 2 Qbs now on the roster, what does that tell you?

By all accounts, Mallett has been a film rat, kept in great shape and just received the best grooming any QB could get in this league learning from a master like Brady and under BB.

If I am a GM anywhere in this league with a QB problem, I am a lot more interested in changing more fortunes with a Mallett than a Matt Barkley. No doubt.

You think you're so intelligent with your little troll weekly review stuff here, but you just proved you aren't.  It's a bad thing that BB adds draft picks to future drafts by leveraging chips?

You either aren't very bright or shouldn't be talking about things you know little about.

[/QUOTE] I too, would rather see a Matt Moore, Matt Flynn or Colt McCoy before Cassel. These second stringers each have more upside than Cassel.