Casting my vote for J. Odrick come april 22nd.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcrossDaPond. Show AcrossDaPond's posts

Casting my vote for J. Odrick come april 22nd.

If we stand P.A.T. on the first day of the draft and nobody huge falls I would be very happy for the pats to walk away with Odrick.  The guy seems to fit exactly what we look for in a 3-4 DE.  Most are claiming that while he is more than talented enough to play inside in a 4-3 he projects to DE in a 3-4 as having more upside.  He has the size (6-5, 304 lbs) and the arms (34 inches, with nearly 10 inch hands!) to be exactly what bb looks for at the position.  Ty Warren (6-5, 300 lbs) and Big Sey (6-6, 310lbs) were very similar guys coming out of college, productive, long-armed, injury free and versatile.  He has the motor and drive to succeed in the NFL as well as the positional versatility (we play a base 4-3 like 25% of the time remember) that we covet.  

According to Scouts.inc, some guy named Muench... 
    "So to me, he has the tools to make early contributions for the Patriots at defensive end and his ability to kick inside should make him more attractive considreing how much they value versatility. 

This guy seems to have everything we look for, at a spot that deserves the first round pay check and is also THE major need for our team going into a year that we have a shot at winning it all.  The numbers just add up for us to draft this guy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: Casting my vote for J. Odrick come april 22nd.

you would probably enjoy this then

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/03/why-jared-odrick-is-our-nfl-mock-draft.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Casting my vote for J. Odrick come april 22nd.:
    If we stand P.A.T. on the first day of the draft and nobody huge falls I would be very happy for the pats to walk away with Odrick.  The guy seems to fit exactly what we look for in a 3-4 DE.  Most are claiming that while he is more than talented enough to play inside in a 4-3 he projects to DE in a 3-4 as having more upside.  He has the size (6-5, 304 lbs) and the arms (34 inches, with nearly 10 inch hands!) to be exactly what bb looks for at the position.  Ty Warren (6-5, 300 lbs) and Big Sey (6-6, 310lbs) were very similar guys coming out of college, productive, long-armed, injury free and versatile.  He has the motor and drive to succeed in the NFL as well as the positional versatility (we play a base 4-3 like 25% of the time remember) that we covet.   According to Scouts.inc, some guy named Muench...  " So to me,  he has the tools to make early contributions for the Patriots at defensive end and his ability to  kick inside  sh ould  make him more   attractive  c o nsidreing   how much they  value versatility .   This guy seems to have everything we look for, at a spot that deserves the first round pay check and is also THE major need for our team going into a year that we have a shot at winning it all.  The numbers just add up for us to draft this guy.
    Posted by AcrossDaPond

I would not put him in the same class as Seymore or Warren. Those guys are much more powerful and don't get driven back in the run. This kid needs time in the weight room and that makes him a projection type of pick, we need sure things. Seymore and Warren were always pretty complete players, Oderick is not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcrossDaPond. Show AcrossDaPond's posts

In Response to Re: Casting my vote for J. Odrick come april 22nd.:
    In Response to Casting my vote for J. Odrick come april 22nd. : I would not put him in the same class as Seymore or Warren. Those guys are much more powerful and don't get driven back in the run. This kid needs time in the weight room and that makes him a projection type of pick, we need sure things. Seymore and Warren were always pretty complete players, Oderick is not.
    Posted by mthurl

Just b/c the huge guard from IdaHO pushed him around in one game doesn't make him a poor run defender, from the good amount I have read about him draft "experts" actually seem to think his run stopping ability is a big plus for him entering the NFL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcrossDaPond. Show AcrossDaPond's posts

He has the room to add to his frame, TB style, besides guys with arms as long as his never lift as much as the guys with no reach.  Its just farther to go man...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcrossDaPond. Show AcrossDaPond's posts

to speak on his "weaknesses"

"Odrick is a tall, somewhat lanky tackle who can break through the line of scrimmage and make plays in the backfield. He works well on stunts, using speed, quickness, and agility to get around blockers and get to the quarterback or chase down ball carriers. He also has the ability to drop back and cover a bit on zone blitz packages, making him a very versatile commodity. 

If he bulks up a bit and increases his lower body strength there is no telling how far Odrick could go but for now he seems best suited as a run stuffing end and a pass rusher inside on third downs."

This is a quote from a draft website who thinks he is actually a 2nd round pick as a DT, to me it reads he is looking primed for a move to DE in our 3-4 defense.  I just hope PIT doesn't look his way first.  Thank god they need major O-Line help.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

I hope he can be a beast of a player at 34 DE, if we do draft him. Having said that, size does not always matter! 2009 second round pick Ron Brace is 6'3, 330 lbs and was manhandled by centers and guards. In contrast, Pryor is 6'1, 309 lbs and has a better technique and hence can play nose better.So, just because he has the size, doesn't mean he is going to be the next Seymour.Players like Sey are hard to find and I would be surprised if we can replace him anytime soon!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'd be more then happy with either Odrick or Graham at #22. Hard to complain if you can get either one, just as long as it isn't Tebow

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I still like B. Graham from Michigan - but if the Pats feel that Odrick is the best fit for them - I like this kid too!  The Pats NEED to take an impact player here and hopefully they don't trade down!....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I like Odrick but he's not the only player who can make a difference, Tyson Alualu or Lamarr Houston both projected in the 2nd can play DE.  Both are shorter but make for it with a non stop motor, Alex Carriongton is taller but also needs to add some weight.

An option in the 6th that I like, Clifton Geathers 6'7" 300 sub 5.0 40. 

Later rounds there are a few players who seem to be an option
    Arthur Jones 4th round
    Vince Oghobaase 6th round
    Doug Worthington 7th
    Sean Lissemore 7th

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i like odrick too, and i think he is may be the only elite DE in the draft that can play the five technique (other than Suh of course). Penn State players make me nervous but i think its a position of major need and a tough spot to fill. he's got the size and the tools so it seems worth a shot. plus the hybrid OLB's seem much deeper. i think we could land one or even two in the second round.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

artie, I dont see Odrick as elite at all.  Good yes, but in no way elite. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcrossDaPond. Show AcrossDaPond's posts

There will be olb's littering the 2nd round, why take the first one at 22?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

well i dont know about elite per say...what i meant by that was the group of players that are slotted to go in the first two rounds. but i agree...i think suh and mccoy are the only two d linemen that can be considered elite at this point. 

In Response to Re: Casting my vote for J. Odrick come april 22nd.:
    artie, I dont see Odrick as elite at all.  Good yes, but in no way elite. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I would rather the Pats trade with KC for their two second round picks to get a total of 5 picks in the top 53. I still like Carrington as their (The Pats) first pick. Also, everyone loves Graham, but Ricky Sapp fits into the mold Belichick likes for his OLBs. 

Even after we fill the need on the defense (OLB and DE), the Pats still need to get someone for the OL (Veldheer), someone to play ILB (Sean Lee), and RB or WR (Ben Tate, RB) 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

He seems like a good prospect, but I can't get over my fear of PSU players. The bust ratio is just so high. I know that isn't a concrete reason not to pick him, but maybe the PSU program does a bad job of preparing their kids for the NFL. I'm having trouble coming up with an impact player from PSU, but I can think of several busts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Odrick might not be there with so many 3-4 teams. I've seen Graham go as high as #16. Sapp is very much a viable option.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Could see the Raiders pick as the DE/DT/OLB pick of the future: Heyward, Romeus, Greg Jones, Clayborn or even Peterson at CB. It's tough to see the Pats trading that pick into the 2010 draft, but stranger things have happened.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Another option is Corey Wotton out of Northwestern, he is a middle round option, but he is 6-6 with some room to grow. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I like the look of Odrick and can see us drafting him, we were missing bulk across the front after trading Seymour, that's mainly why our pass rushers got tangled up with lineman... we ran a 2/4/5 defense because we didn't have the beef to compete.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Before the combine I thought the Pats would go for Odrick.  It seemed to make sense.  But I also get nervous when it comes to Penn St. alumni.  There just have been too many busts out of this program.  Throughout it all Odrick has been able to maintain his stock, neither slipping or climbing.  He hangs on to that 27, 28 spot in the 1st round.

Being at 22 I see Odrick as a bit of a reach and with so many nice players in the area of that 22nd pick I don't think it's going to be Odrick any more.  The Pats could go with a CB, RB, OT, OLB at that spot.  The thing is with so much talent in this draft the bandwidth or group of players is small placing Odrick just on the outside.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I see it as this.  Odrick is the 4th DT/3-4DE in the draft behind Suh, McCoy, Williams.  Graham is the #1 OLB prospect and I see a big dropoff from him to even the #2 in Hughes/Kindle/Sapp.  Hughes doesnt disengage as well, Kindle has nagging injuries and lacks football IQ, Sapp has had knee issues. Yes I know Graham lacks the ideal height, but he has that awesome motor, and the game film doesnt lie either. Back to the 3-4DE spot side, I just dont see as much of a drop from Odrick to say Houston or Alualu and there is that Penn St bust history. 

Sections
Shortcuts