Cause for Optimism

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Cause for Optimism

I appreciate negativity is more popular right now but there's a lot more good than bad with the Pats IMO.

On offense the mistakes have been magnified due to happening at critical moments but appear to be more decision making issues than talent and so in theory at least are correctible. It probably wasn't realistic to expect a well-oiled machine right away despite the talent. There's a lot of moving parts with Josh McD being the new/old OC. None of the RB's nor Gronk and Hernandez have played with him. The departure of Light and Waters plus injuries have slowed the o-line getting into sync as a unit.

Despite some hiccups even in today's offensive era no team has been more productive overall on offense.

The defensive front 7 has real potential and is already solid against the run which is never a bad thing. Yes, a more consistent pass rush would be nice but very few teams can consistently generate pass rush with just the down linemen. Especially when two starters, Wilfork and Love, are more run stoppers. We've seen flashes of good blitz instincts from the LB's at times. One has to think the reluctance to blitz is based mostly on the inexperience in the secondary.

Yes, the secondary has been tough to watch. But the two most experienced guys, Chung and Gregory have been hurt. So you've got 3 rookies, Wilson, Dennard and Ebner, two of whom are basically starting. Two other guys, Dowling and Moore are virtual rookies. McCourty is again getting bounced around.

The margin of error in terms of giving up plays is very small and we're currently watching trial by fire for that young group, which is tough now but should pay dividends later. There seems to be talent, although I'll admit being a little worried about Chung, and the problem seems to be moreso uncertainty with assignments which should improve. If BB develops a little more confidence in these young guys understanding their jobs, hopefully we'll see a more aggressive approach in the second half.

As hard as close losses are to watch this team should ultimately be more battle tested than last year.

Lots of football still to come. Hang in there Pats fans. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Cause for Optimism

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to Mighty2013's comment:

#1 in the division, Tom Brady at QB, BB as head coach ... what more do you need?

I hate to be negative in a positive thread but it would be nice if the D could protect a 2 score lead in the 4th Qtr.

It would also be nice if the O can stay productive over 60mins instead of having the inability to move the ball after the 3rd with a lead too

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

#1 in the division, Tom Brady at QB, BB as head coach ... what more do you need?

I hate to be negative in a positive thread but it would be nice if the D could protect a 2 score lead in the 4th Qtr.

It would also be nice if the O can stay productive over 60mins instead of having the inability to move the ball after the 3rd with a lead too

So, how much more would you like them to lead the league in scoring by? Because last time I checked, points scored in the other quarters count exactly the same as points scored in the 4th quarter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Mighty - that's one coach, how about a new secondary coach who can actually develop talent or a offensive game plan that became less predictable as the game went on. Brady is only one player that's on the field 40% of the time. How about a secondary that can hold coverage for more then 3s or a pass rush that's allowed to go after the QB instead of these 3-4 man rushes. How about WR's who don't drop balls or an OL that doesn't get winded so when they need to run the ball and eat clock they can

Brady, BB, and being #1 gives you hope that anything could happen but it's the rest of the team that can cause optimism because you know if the rest of the team is right then BB and Brady will do their things and we'll win

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to stegall85's comment:

I appreciate negativity is more popular right now but there's a lot more good than bad with the Pats IMO.

On offense the mistakes have been magnified due to happening at critical moments but appear to be more decision making issues than talent and so in theory at least are correctible. It probably wasn't realistic to expect a well-oiled machine right away despite the talent. There's a lot of moving parts with Josh McD being the new/old OC. None of the RB's nor Gronk and Hernandez have played with him. The departure of Light and Waters plus injuries have slowed the o-line getting into sync as a unit.

Despite some hiccups even in today's offensive era no team has been more productive overall on offense.

The defensive front 7 has real potential and is already solid against the run which is never a bad thing. Yes, a more consistent pass rush would be nice but very few teams can consistently generate pass rush with just the down linemen. Especially when two starters, Wilfork and Love, are more run stoppers. We've seen flashes of good blitz instincts from the LB's at times. One has to think the reluctance to blitz is based mostly on the inexperience in the secondary.

Yes, the secondary has been tough to watch. But the two most experienced guys, Chung and Gregory have been hurt. So you've got 3 rookies, Wilson, Dennard and Ebner, two of whom are basically starting. Two other guys, Dowling and Moore are virtual rookies. McCourty is again getting bounced around.

The margin of error in terms of giving up plays is very small and we're currently watching trial by fire for that young group, which is tough now but should pay dividends later. There seems to be talent, although I'll admit being a little worried about Chung, and the problem seems to be moreso uncertainty with assignments which should improve. If BB develops a little more confidence in these young guys understanding their jobs, hopefully we'll see a more aggressive approach in the second half.

As hard as close losses are to watch this team should ultimately be more battle tested than last year.

Yeah. Bears fans must be wringing their hands over the mistakes their 1st rated defense has made. Right? Because you are doing that over the mistakes of our 1st rated offense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

So, how much more would you like them to lead the league in scoring by? Because last time I checked, points scored in the other quarters count exactly the same as points scored in the 4th quarter.

How about just running out the clock or scoring? Here is what happened in the last 3 games in the 4th

Jets:

5 plays result is a punt 2:11 off the clock

5 plays result is a punt 1:25 off the clock

6 plays result FG and end of game 1:37

Excluding that last drive FG (limited time) they basically did nothing in the 4th to either kill clock or put any type of points on the board

Sea:

3 plays result is a Int 1:31 off the clock

8 plays result is a FG 3:10 off the clock

8 plays result is a punt 4:25 off the clock (best clock killing in the 3 games which is sad)

4 plays result is a punt :24 off the clock (:24s really?)

4 plays result turn over on downs :27 off the clock

That last series they were trying to win the game so I discount that but 5 series in a quarter? If you are trying to kill clock there should be zero way you have 5 series in a quarter and of those 5 you only manage a FG? Not the greatest O there Babe

Den:

6 plays result is a punt 2:00 off the clock

7 plays result is a fum 2:42 off the clock

3 plays result is a fum 1:34 off the clock

7 plays result end of game 3:42

Now that last drive is exactly what they need to do the entire 4th. But how do you run 16 plays and only take 5:34 off the clock with 2 turn overs? That's almost unheard of when you are trying to run the clock out.

BTW in the loses thise year they've scored 3, 3, and 9 in the 4th. Only in Ari did they actually put up any points in the 4th and that is the only game they were down going into the 4th. This O can't play 60mins right now and it's just as much there job to maintain a lead through clock killing and continuing to score as it is the D's job the keep a team from scoring and make them use up tons of clock if they do score. Nether side is doing their job in the 4th

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Mighty - that's one coach, how about a new secondary coach who can actually develop talent or a offensive game plan that became less predictable as the game went on. Brady is only one player that's on the field 40% of the time. How about a secondary that can hold coverage for more then 3s or a pass rush that's allowed to go after the QB instead of these 3-4 man rushes. How about WR's who don't drop balls or an OL that doesn't get winded so when they need to run the ball and eat clock they can

Brady, BB, and being #1 gives you hope that anything could happen but it's the rest of the team that can cause optimism because you know if the rest of the team is right then BB and Brady will do their things and we'll win

Hey Eng, you still think Landry is a muscle headed malcontent who will never play again?  I bought the thread back up "safety talk" after we played the Jets because I was shocked when I saw him on the field. Pretty sure you told me back in march that he had too many muscles to play an be effective again..   what happened?  j/p

but the thread is on page 2. Good read for laughs esp. Rusty putting his foot in his mouth...lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Hey Eng, you still think Landry is a muscle headed malcontent who will never play again?  I bought the thread back up "safety talk" after we played the Jets because I was shocked when I saw him on the field. Pretty sure you told me back in march that he had too many muscles to play an be effective again..   what happened?  j/p

but the thread is on page 2. Good read for laughs esp. Rusty putting his foot in his mouth...lol

Well I was wrong what can I say? But, good for you that your life is so sad you need to pull up long dead threads to justify your opinion as right because you can't get the same in the real world.

Seriously dude it's a football forum we are all wrong at some point but pulling it up and saying I was right and you were wrong is something a child does. But, I'm sure Landry greatly appriciates you taking your time to do so

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

pulling up old threads is fair... Its interesting to read how stuff changes over time.

glad to see a positive thread. There was a lot of good to take out of that game . D was improved  and Brady played great to win the game with complements from the D.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

pulling up old threads is fair... Its interesting to read how stuff changes over time.

glad to see a positive thread. There was a lot of good to take out of that game . D was improved  and Brady played great to win the game with complements from the D.

pulling up old threads to see how things change is one thing pulling up threads to say how smart you were over someone else yeah that's just childish

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

pulling up old threads to see how things change is one thing pulling up threads to say how smart you were over someone else yeah that's just childish

I never meant to malicously call you out. its called pokin fun and why make the statement if you arent prepared to eat your words? People do it all the time and personally ive never bumped a thread but I had to because you were SOOO positive he was DOne and the reason to me was foolish. He is too big, he cant move. I recall saying relax. He is a football player and you got all defensive about a twitter pic.  So maybe next time you wont make a silly statement about someone you dont know. Unless you know  a player personally dont proclaim he will never play again esp. the year both OUR safeties are hurt or I will call you out. DOnt call me childish because you were wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I never meant to malicously call you out. its called pokin fun and why make the statement if you arent prepared to eat your words? People do it all the time and personally ive never bumped a thread but I had to because you were SOOO positive he was DOne and the reason to me was foolish. He is too big, he cant move. I recall saying relax. He is a football player and you got all defensive about a twitter pic.  So maybe next time you wont make a silly statement about someone you dont know. Unless you know  a player personally dont proclaim he will never play again esp. the year both OUR safeties are hurt or I will call you out. DOnt call me childish because you were wrong.

It's how you did it that makes it childish. There's a way to poke fun and a way that makes it unwarrented. To come onto a thread not talking about Landry or S's to call me out oozing with that much sarcasm is not the way to do it. Just bring up the thread and say I guess I was right on this one and then ask how I feel about him now. That does the same affect without having to jump into another thread to do so. If I see it then I will take my beating for being wrong

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

sorry bro! I would think the way you described would be more offending but hey, thats why we are all different.  You were talking about B.B. and the secondary so I thoought it was a bit relevant seeing how people are questioning if we should have got him while our starting safeties have been hurt basically all year and the Jets got 2 players that some wanted here so I thought, what better time than after playing the Jets and Landry survived and actually  played pretty good despite giving up a TD to Gronk which was inevtable because it was a perfect pass.  My point has always been he is a physical presence that could help with our intimidation and agressiveness. He is a great blitzer too and rkarp thinks we have noone to blitz...sooo

To me Chung and Gregory are nice players but neither of them are frightening or gonna knock you out so would think they could atleast cover the back end . I think its valid and Id like to ask B.B. how he feels about it but I cant so I asked you...lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

So on the "cause for optimism" side...

1. 131 yards rushing v the Jets without BOTH starting guards, without Bolden (who has been solid), with both starting TEs being nicked up! Not bad at all. They are definately improving their running game which will make a diference later.

2. McCourty looks good at FS. Will they leave him their so we at least have one position back there playing well???

3. Dennard was making some mistakes but looked like he has some potential - and he is not only a rookie but a raw rookie.

4. The run D is perhaps a top 3 run D

5. Jones, Hightower, Wilson, Dennard are all rookies making an impact on D. With first year player Gregory (and maybe Dowling) that means a significant potential for improvement between now and the playoffs for this D.

6. In first place in Division

7. Our best years were wen we had a running game to go with a passing game and were having to earn every win (not just get a handful of wins with high flying passing game).

8. This year's team just won their first close game. Time to build character

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

I agree with ENG pulling up a post to call someone out is childish.  But Dragging that coversation into another thread to pound you chest and say look at me I'm right you were wrong is Rustyish.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

sorry bro! I would think the way you described would be more offending but hey, thats why we are all different.  You were talking about B.B. and the secondary so I thoought it was a bit relevant seeing how people are questioning if we should have got him while our starting safeties have been hurt basically all year and the Jets got 2 players that some wanted here so I thought, what better time than after playing the Jets and Landry survived and actually  played pretty good despite giving up a TD to Gronk which was inevtable because it was a perfect pass.  My point has always been he is a physical presence that could help with our intimidation and agressiveness. He is a great blitzer too and rkarp thinks we have noone to blitz...sooo

To me Chung and Gregory are nice players but neither of them are frightening or gonna knock you out so would think they could atleast cover the back end . I think its valid and Id like to ask B.B. how he feels about it but I cant so I asked you...lol

I will admit Landry's has had a pretty good year so far. I'm not sure I'd say he's played better the Gregory from a coverage stand point but since he's been healthy and Gregory has not then yes Landry would have been the better pick up at this point. I'm not sure many would question that. However, I will say that the Jets secondary coach is much better at developing DB's and putting them in the right position. I do wonder if Landry would be the same player on the Pats as he is on the Jets given the issues present in the secondary. It's an interesting question to think about

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

They can work their problems out, like you said on offense its mostly mental errors in the passing game, the running game looks good. The defense has its problems, particularly in the secondary, which has big problems. BB teams always improve on defense so let's hope they do again this year. As bad as it looked last season the d played well in the playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I have no problem with the, stick it in your face bump.  If you have been watching TV that's what every campain commercial is about, bumping past s***.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

I'd like ot see our CBs turn and look at the ball when they see the receiver reaching for the ball.  How many times have we seen these guys get called for PI while we are yelling at our TV for them to turn around.  They should be picking the ball off on a lot of those plays but instead, the never see the ball and get beat or called for PI.  I'd rather see them get beat trying to make a play the run into the receiver!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Kumbaya my lord.....Kumbayaaaaaaa!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

SarcasitcCumSarcasm Rusty times two

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to stegall85's comment:

I think there's things to be optimistic for, but getting Chung and Gregory back on the field aren't two of them. I think we will have a chance (like we always do) as long as Brady plays a little better and Belichick tightens up a couple of things over the bye week...perhaps signs a free agent or something as well. The rest of the league and afc basically isn't very good, so that helps too. In the end I just don't think we will be able to stop the pass to win anything of consequence - no pass rush and a secondary filled with pathetically average players will kill us. You don't let Mark Sanchez look like Joe Mantana and feel overly optimistic about the big picture.

Sections
Shortcuts