CB is a top priority: Aqib Talib

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: CB is a top priority: Aqib Talib

Getting some DLs that can put pressure on the QB would help too.  When a QB has all day to pick apart the secondary, your DBs can only cover so long.  Look at how often Brady was pressured with only 3 or 4 DL by the Broncos.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

Talib played in 13 games this season, not 8. The style of play BB wants from a CB is tough physically on a CB. DRC has not played the style CB that the Pats want. Can he? Maybe. Why take that chance?

The Pats did use ample resources on depth behind Talib. They used a high draft choice on Ryan, and they gave Arrington a lot of money. The defense the PAts wish to play...which is game plan and each week take away the oppositions strength, fits perfectly with what Talib can do. He can cover Jimmy Graham, Steve Smith and D Thomas. Not a lot of CB's, including DRC can do that  

I never said he played in half the season I have said he's only effective for half the season. He might have played but was not near 100%, as shown when BB would rather stick Arrington on #1 WR's like Gordon than Talib. So what if you play 13 games if 5 of those you can't give 90% or better because you are still recovering?

Ryan and Arrington don't have the physical ability to cover the guys Talib covers. You can spend ample resources on your car too but it doesn't matter if you get new brakes when what you need is new tires. You need to spend on a similar type of CB to back him up because Ryan and Arrington can't do the same thing Talib did. Btw, spending the amount of resources on Arrington is spending just to say you spent. No way Arrington was worth what he's paid. Are you going to go to the store and say, I know the can says it's $1 but I want to pay $2.50 and then when your kids say I'm still hungry you say well we spent resources to find you, didn't you like that can of food I got? If you want Talib you need to invest in his backup so the drop off isn't as large. If there aren't a lot of player who can do that then you have to ask yourself do you spend more for a more durable one you have to worry less about or if you really love Talib do you spend money on a player who has similar traits but not as talented.

I just dont think there are more than 3-4 guys that can do what Talib does. When you have one of them, and can keep them at 27 years old with out over paying, but simply offering a fair deal, I think you have to do it.

I thought the Arrington deal also was an over pay, but it went down while Talib was also unsigned, and Dennard was a question mark legally. Ryan was unknown. Pats simply had to sign Arrington.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I just dont think there are more than 3-4 guys that can do what Talib does. When you have one of them, and can keep them at 27 years old with out over paying, but simply offering a fair deal, I think you have to do it.

I thought the Arrington deal also was an over pay, but it went down while Talib was also unsigned, and Dennard was a question mark legally. Ryan was unknown. Pats simply had to sign Arrington.

Why? There were plenty of other CB's in the market. In Arrington's best year he was a #3 slot CB and most years he's a #4 money CB. You can find those guys in mid rounds of draft or they are always available via FA. What in Arrington's career shoots to you this is a must keep guy we overspend for? Esp, for a team prized for not overspending and actually spending less then other teams for similar results

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Here is what is going to happen with Talib.  Either he walks and the whiners complain that our secondary sucks or we resign him and the whiners complain we overpaid for a walking injury. Either way there is going to be whining from some of the regulars. Get ready. It's going to be great.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Here is what is going to happen with Talib.  Either he walks and the whiners complain that our secondary sucks or we resign him and the whiners complain we overpaid for a walking injury. Either way there is going to be whining from some of the regulars. Get ready. It's going to be great.

Well in that case you won't mind if they give him $10mil a year and if he gets injured you'll just say, it was worth it right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

So many needs, yet so little cap space. 

Looks like the cap-strapped Patriots are in trouble! LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Well in that case you won't mind if they give him $10mil a year and if he gets injured you'll just say, it was worth it right?

I wasn't referring to you and no I don't want them to give Talib 10 million per year.  I just ask for some consistency.  A lot of posters don't demonstrate that when it comes to roster decisions.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Why? There were plenty of other CB's in the market. In Arrington's best year he was a #3 slot CB and most years he's a #4 money CB. You can find those guys in mid rounds of draft or they are always available via FA. What in Arrington's career shoots to you this is a must keep guy we overspend for? Esp, for a team prized for not overspending and actually spending less then other teams for similar results

because aside from Dennard and hopefully Ryan, this team has struck out in drafting CB's for much of the past 7 years. Signing Arrington was for going with the known over the uinknown. I feel they will take the same route with Talib, assuming the deal is "fair" rather than overpay. I am stating 3/$21 is fair.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Like ive BEEN saying. Talib is the only valuble CB we have. We need a real # 2, (not dennard) to play outside so Dennard can play the slot where he belongs and Arrington can be the dime back but BB cant play his 4million guy in the dime or it will look bad so...

Who knows what will happen. Alls I know is when Talib goes out, our Defense turns back into a pumpkin and for 2 years straight he has went out in the biggest game of the year. We can try for the 3rd strike but to me, we need another starting quality CB anyway. So back to the draft we go. We know BB cant get veteran CBs to come here and play right in this bend but dont break so gotta find a talented CB in draft. Preferably over 6 ft, yes.

Have someone break into Seattles war room and look at their CB prospects...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I would like to see Talib back for any reasonable dollar. I would love to see 1 year for 5-6 or 2 10-11 if his market is low. But if it takes 3 & 21 or something of that nature I thin we have to do it. Dennard and Ryan some limitations Sunday and Arrington is way too inconsistent in general

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I wasn't referring to you and no I don't want them to give Talib 10 million per year.  I just ask for some consistency.  A lot of posters don't demonstrate that when it comes to roster decisions.

Ok, sorry I misunderstood. For me it's all about money. 1-2 yrs less than $5mil with half or less guaranteed I'd like to have him back anything more and I don't think it's worth it. If they do walk I won't complain (provided they try to go out and get another vet with good coverage ability and don't spend it on 3 retreads) and if they keep him I won't complain (unless they overpay or he has a major injury again and misses the playoffs provided there was a guy in FA they could have gotten for a similar price and passed to get him)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

because aside from Dennard and hopefully Ryan, this team has struck out in drafting CB's for much of the past 7 years. Signing Arrington was for going with the known over the uinknown. I feel they will take the same route with Talib, assuming the deal is "fair" rather than overpay. I am stating 3/$21 is fair.

Just because they are known doesn't mean they are any good. If that was their thinking case why not keep Welker over Amendola?

It's what I keep coming back to, what about Arrington shouts to you yes he's worth that much? If Ryan or Dennard couldn't play was there anythinig in Arringtons history that suggested he'd be better on the edge then an unknown they might bring in? I know my friends car breaks down every 5th time he starts it, doesn't mean I would buy it from him over buying a used car from another person. If anything it makes it worse that you knew he was a lemon but spent the money anyways instead of rolling the dice and hoping for more than a lemon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Just because they are known doesn't mean they are any good. If that was their thinking case why not keep Welker over Amendola?

It's what I keep coming back to, what about Arrington shouts to you yes he's worth that much? If Ryan or Dennard couldn't play was there anythinig in Arringtons history that suggested he'd be better on the edge then an unknown they might bring in? I know my friends car breaks down every 5th time he starts it, doesn't mean I would buy it from him over buying a used car from another person. If anything it makes it worse that you knew he was a lemon but spent the money anyways instead of rolling the dice and hoping for more than a lemon.

arringtn sets the edge. He is a backup DE. Thats his value here. I think CB is actually his 3rd role...lol

He sure aint here to cover. Time to try him at safety I say. Cant be any worse than Gregory.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Getting some DLs that can put pressure on the QB would help too.  When a QB has all day to pick apart the secondary, your DBs can only cover so long.  Look at how often Brady was pressured with only 3 or 4 DL by the Broncos.

Hard to tell what the DLs would have done when you consider the 2 best inside guys were missing this season. Between that and the loss of Mayo nobody played the season in their intended position. For the youngest D in the NFL they did a good job holding the Broncos to 10 points under their per game average. Yeah they couldn't get off the field but the offense couldn't stay on the field until the 4th quarter.

Team loss

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

arringtn sets the edge. He is a backup DE. Thats his value here. I think CB is actually his 3rd role...lol

He sure aint here to cover. Time to try him at safety I say. Cant be any worse than Gregory.

You know you meant it as a joke but, SS might not be a bad move for him. He does do well against the run on the edge and can cover for breif stints (provided a receiver doesn't make a double move or runs past 10yrds). So he might do well as a SS if he can get some size.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Hard to tell what the DLs would have done when you consider the 2 best inside guys were missing this season. Between that and the loss of Mayo nobody played the season in their intended position. For the youngest D in the NFL they did a good job holding the Broncos to 10 points under their per game average. Yeah they couldn't get off the field but the offense couldn't stay on the field until the 4th quarter.

Team loss

The question is was that Den's game plan going in? Doesn't seem like they wanted to take downfield s h o t s like they were all season. Looked like they were happy taking s h o r ter gains and chewing up the clock. In which case of course they would score less.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

That is an understatement if I ever heard one!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Team loss

The question is was that Den's game plan going in? Doesn't seem like they wanted to take downfield s h o t s like they were all season. Looked like they were happy taking s h o r ter gains and chewing up the clock. In which case of course they would score less.

not only that. the Pats actually scored more points down the stretch than Denver and all we heard for 2 weeks was how bad Denvers D s*cked....Sooo who really underachieved??  I would say the Pats. Coaching matters and we have the best, right? so why are we sitting home after Fox outcoached BB and his staff?

Thats the million dollar question

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

in some ways,  I think OL and DL/DE is more important....then the TE or DBs follow in terms of importance. Same problems are gonna happen with Brady if he can't be protected.

i agree but the DL and OL FA class is not very good outside the guys that will get max deals which we cant afford or wouldnt do.

The draft classes for DL and OL are deep and can be assessed there while CB can be done in FA so we can worry about DL/OL in draft and TE too

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

1 year for $5-6M is a joke. If anything the Pats Franchise him at around the assumed figure of $10.8-$11M, and then try to rework him over time

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

1 year for $5-6M is a joke. If anything the Pats Franchise him at around the assumed figure of $10.8-$11M, and then try to rework him over time

at this point who knows what the market will be though?

last year it was pretty low and besides he and Verner the CB FA market is barren. I don't see Talib making bank after yet another injured season.

I also think he wants to be here. maybe one year 8 mil is better. i doubt NE gives him franchise money

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Last year was depressed, but by April these deals were signed. You decide where Talib fits;

1. Keenan LewisNew Orleans Saints - five years, $25.55 million ($5.11 million per season, $6 million signing bonus)
    2. Chris HoustonDetroit Lions - five years, $25 million ($5 million per season, $6.5 million signing bonus, $9.5 million guaranteed)
    3. Derek Cox, San Diego Chargers- four years, $20 million ($5 million per season, $5.2 million signing bonus, $10.25 million guaranteed)
    4. Sean SmithKansas City Chiefs - three years, $18 million ($5.5 million per season, $6.75 million signing bonus, $7.465 million guaranteed)

5. Cary WilliamsPhiladelphia Eagles - three years, $17 million ($5.67 million per season, $5 million signing bonus, $5.75 million guaranteed)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

there you go 4-5 for 20-25 i would do that right now. with 11 gtd. sounds fine. its not like the 50 million Pat Peterson reportedly wants

• You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

While I'd like to have Talib back, I think we need an another tall corner besides him because Ryan and Dennard are kind of shrimpy and Talib seems to get injured easily. I would unload Arrington and Gregory and search high and low for someone who can truly rush the passer. No secondary can hold up when the QB is untouched and has all day to survey the field.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from catbuttbuster45. Show catbuttbuster45's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

This will have nothing to do with desire for the team to resign him or his desire to returrn, it will be about the market.

I still don't think Talib will have many bidders, so that bodes well.

1 year deal with incentives that build into a 2015 deal. 

you don't think so? i think it may..,

oh well i agree I don't think many will be after him either. like you said 1 year w/ incentives good call

Yes and sign (fill in the name of best NT on the market, best TE on the market and best WR on the market) to 1 year incentive contract also.  You and Queenie are obviously ignorant to the fact that the player will need to agree to the terms of the contract.  

BUST-CHISEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!~

MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

How's all that cat butt doing in your 'hood you 'ol NY Jets Troll? Still walking around with an old T-Shirt and a can of Chloroform in your back pocket? Still sneaking up behind the neighborhood kitties and "pouncing" on them?...you nasty boy you...

MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...

Hit that kitty butt....

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

• Sections
    Shortcuts