CBs and next year FAs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

CBs and next year FAs

Interesting to note that there are a whole lot of top end CBs that have signed 1 year deals this off season. Add them to the contracts that expire this coming year and the FA pool next season should be nearly as flooded as it was this season. I do not see teams using the franchise tag at CB in the next few years until all the 10M bloated contracts roll off the calculation and the number comes down. And I do not see a lot of these guys signing extensions with their current teams because they are still dreaming of the BIG contract while the teams are looking at this year as a sign of what they can get next year.

Just an interesting situation to note.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: CBs and next year FAs

interesting situation to note but also realize that the cap expands in 2015 so the deals might not be as good. You might see more backloaded deals but contracts might go up ultimately. However, when it comes to the Pats, if they didn't move on a flooded CB market with prices drastically lower then previous years it might be safe to say they will do the same next year so even if it's flooded I wouldn't expect more then the types of moves they have made the last 3-4 years. It's frustrating since they called the lower market and set themselves up to take advantage of it but still treated it as if it was the market from 08'

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Very good point.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Good points all - but ...

The cap is set to go up in 2015, but the NFLPA is already borrowing some of that this year and next to maintain the current levels - Owners and Union agreed to this deal which will be repaid from expected increases in future years. And the expectation is that there will be no big jump in cap, just a gradual increase, so counting on big money in 2015 is fools gold I think.

I agree that there are a few teams that will need to spend pretty big money to reach the floor, but some of the obvious ones are saving cap now because of pending big money deals for current roster - QBs but also other key players - that will eat up any excess cap space quickly when the cap does start expanding. Not saying big money deals are gone, just that like this year they will be limited to a few really high profile players.

Even a deal of 4 yrs/28M (7M per) is peanuts compared to the deals top CBs were signing even last year. Not saying there will not be an increase from the current 5M average for CBs, just that it may be a long time before we see another 4yr/40-50M deal (with the posible exception of Revis.) And with a lot of competition in FA, there will still be a number of good CBs that end up with the 4 yr/20M deals.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

The cap is set to go up in 2015, but the NFLPA is already borrowing some of that this year and next to maintain the current levels - Owners and Union agreed to this deal which will be repaid from expected increases in future years. And the expectation is that there will be no big jump in cap, just a gradual increase, so counting on big money in 2015 is fools gold I think.

I agree that there are a few teams that will need to spend pretty big money to reach the floor, but some of the obvious ones are saving cap now because of pending big money deals for current roster - QBs but also other key players - that will eat up any excess cap space quickly when the cap does start expanding. Not saying big money deals are gone, just that like this year they will be limited to a few really high profile players.

Even a deal of 4 yrs/28M (7M per) is peanuts compared to the deals top CBs were signing even last year. Not saying there will not be an increase from the current 5M average for CBs, just that it may be a long time before we see another 4yr/40-50M deal (with the posible exception of Revis.) And with a lot of competition in FA, there will still be a number of good CBs that end up with the 4 yr/20M deals.

Oh I agree with that. I was just thinking that the average dropped from $8-10mil a year to $5mil (something the Pats called) and they didn't jump on that market. So, even if the market stays stagnant at $5mil I still don't see them jumping at it. I just don't think they view the position as that kind of value, similarly as they don't view WR as that kind of value. Which I think is a mistake given those two areas were some of our weaker areas as far as depth goes and now with major durability concerns/suspension concerns they could have had a golden chance to invest at a lower rate to build up much needed depth. Now don't get me wrong that they should overspend as I feel top contract should only go to guys you know fit in your system but, imo, $5mil this year is a mid tier asking price for starter quality players and well worth the risk to bring them in on short term deals to see if they can perform.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

interesting situation to note but also realize that the cap expands in 2015 so the deals might not be as good. You might see more backloaded deals but contracts might go up ultimately. However, when it comes to the Pats, if they didn't move on a flooded CB market with prices drastically lower then previous years it might be safe to say they will do the same next year so even if it's flooded I wouldn't expect more then the types of moves they have made the last 3-4 years. It's frustrating since they called the lower market and set themselves up to take advantage of it but still treated it as if it was the market from 08'

EXACTLY!

A PITY.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Oh I agree with that. I was just thinking that the average dropped from $8-10mil a year to $5mil (something the Pats called) and they didn't jump on that market. So, even if the market stays stagnant at $5mil I still don't see them jumping at it. I just don't think they view the position as that kind of value, similarly as they don't view WR as that kind of value. Which I think is a mistake given those two areas were some of our weaker areas as far as depth goes and now with major durability concerns/suspension concerns they could have had a golden chance to invest at a lower rate to build up much needed depth. Now don't get me wrong that they should overspend as I feel top contract should only go to guys you know fit in your system but, imo, $5mil this year is a mid tier asking price for starter quality players and well worth the risk to bring them in on short term deals to see if they can perform.

particularly cb and pass rusher. cheaper better wrs are avail in this draft in rd 1 and 2 adn top half 3.

you are making all my points all over the baord. it seems we are of teh same mind this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Interesting to note that there are a whole lot of top end CBs that have signed 1 year deals this off season. Add them to the contracts that expire this coming year and the FA pool next season should be nearly as flooded as it was this season. I do not see teams using the franchise tag at CB in the next few years until all the 10M bloated contracts roll off the calculation and the number comes down. And I do not see a lot of these guys signing extensions with their current teams because they are still dreaming of the BIG contract while the teams are looking at this year as a sign of what they can get next year.

Don't get started on this...please!! You may spur mbeaulieu07 into starting a thread on the 2014 NFL draft...LOL!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Don't get started on this...please!! You may spur mbeaulieu07 into starting a thread on the 2014 NFL draft...LOL!!!!

It's coming in late August whether you like it or not. BTW, we already started talking perspective 2014 draftable players

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

It's coming in late August whether you like it or not. BTW, we already started talking perspective 2014 draftable players

Ha ha nice.  I think Dottie should pin it to the top. I hope we don't take a wr till the 3 rd round.  I want a pass rush with 1 and 2.  

Sections
Shortcuts