CB's.........................any possible Patriot interest?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

CB's.........................any possible Patriot interest?

Eagles could part ways with Asomugha, Rodgers-Cromartie

03:02 PM ET 02.14 | The Philadelphia Eagles' secondary may have a brand new look next season. Cornerbacks Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie may not be back with the team next year, writes Zach Berman of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Asomugha had a reputation as one of the finest corners in the NFL before he landed in Philly, but he hasn't showed that since. Asomugha will be 32 next season and he's due $15 million -- the highest salary on the books next season. If the Eagles cut Asomugha, they'll owe him just $4 million and free up $11 million in cap space.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: CB's.........................any possible Patriot interest?

Please review the Pats cap situation, thier own free agents and see how they cannot afford these players

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

What is with the infatuation with this guy?

He was terrible last season and doesn't know how to tackle.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Please review the Pats cap situation, thier own free agents and see how they cannot afford these players

There's plenty of maneuverability with the cap. The Pats are in a very good cap situation right now if you they don't resign Talib they could afford one of these guys.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

There's plenty of maneuverability with the cap. The Pats are in a very good cap situation right now if you they don't resign Talib they could afford one of these guys.

Even DRC?

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

NE can dictate the salaries, RKrap. You don't seem to get markets. If a 32 year old player who has made all his money and played on crappy teams his whole career wants to play for NE, then that means BB has the leverage.

This happens every year. It depends on our needs and what the player wants. I say this every year, that BB will play the market, watch for camp cuts and add in the cuts into the supply and demand of the other players.

That's why these agents reaally would prefer their FAs to be signed before the draft, not after.

NE wouldn't take on his salary either. We have no idea what BB would offer if either DRC or Aso are cut.  It's all about supply/demand, but if a player like Asomougha wants to play in NE or Talib wants to stay in NE and realizes the total package for what it is, then of course NE can budget for that kind of a player.

This is what I mean about you not getting why it's so important to have leverage as a GM. You seem to applaud the teams with no leverage like the Jets, and then act like BB doesn't have it. LOL

Andy Reid and Howard Roseman sunk themselves with their spending spree TWO years ago and the stupid Vick contract which put themselves in this position. I ran off an Eagles troll here predicting their knee jerk moves, like the Jets', wouldn't work.

Now you can see how creating that leverage by BB, helps the PAts. If you OVERPAY in the market, make 1 or 2 bad moves with big money tied to it, these moves add up and put you behind the 8 ball.

It's fascintating watching you not get this stuff. Still!

lmao

You can name drop people you casually know at ESPN all day long, but no one cares because it doesn't somehow make you intelligent on these topics.   You've proven you just don't get it.

winning teams always have leverage over losing teams in signing players based on how much the player will take.....the patriots espescially have leverage because of the great owner, the fanbase, and the past success.

do i want aso or DRC? not really, but if its a friendly one year deal, than i guess its worth a shot. they both are talented.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

NE can dictate the salaries, RKrap. You don't seem to get markets. If a 32 year old player who has made all his money and played on crappy teams his whole career wants to play for NE, then that means BB has the leverage.

This happens every year. It depends on our needs and what the player wants. I say this every year, that BB will play the market, watch for camp cuts and add in the cuts into the supply and demand of the other players.

That's why these agents reaally would prefer their FAs to be signed before the draft, not after.

NE wouldn't take on his salary either. We have no idea what BB would offer if either DRC or Aso are cut.  It's all about supply/demand, but if a player like Asomougha wants to play in NE or Talib wants to stay in NE and realizes the total package for what it is, then of course NE can budget for that kind of a player.

This is what I mean about you not getting why it's so important to have leverage as a GM. You seem to applaud the teams with no leverage like the Jets, and then act like BB doesn't have it. LOL

Andy Reid and Howard Roseman sunk themselves with their spending spree TWO years ago and the stupid Vick contract which put themselves in this position. I ran off an Eagles troll here predicting their knee jerk moves, like the Jets', wouldn't work.

Now you can see how creating that leverage by BB, helps the PAts. If you OVERPAY in the market, make 1 or 2 bad moves with big money tied to it, these moves add up and put you behind the 8 ball.

lmao

You can name drop people you casually know at ESPN all day long, but no one cares because it doesn't somehow make you intelligent on these topics.   You've proven you just don't get it.

winning teams always have leverage over losing teams in signing players based on how much the player will take.....the patriots espescially have leverage because of the great owner, the fanbase, and the past success.

do i want aso or DRC? not really, but if its a friendly one year deal, than i guess its worth a shot. they both are talented.

Of course, but RKarp thinks that isn't true. He thinks the Jets have leverage.  Rex Ryan a lame duck coach, a new GM, no QB, etc. It's like the most unattractive spot for any draft pick or FA player in the NFL right now.

definitely, the jets will have to spend some serious cash to get any good free agent to sign with them.

I dont think people realize how much admiration BB gets from players around the league. i mean look at ed reed for example....and even though it didnt work out, look at how ochocinco felt about BB. a lot of good players want to play for the patriots BECAUSE OF BB. If he didnt know what he was doing, that wouldnt be the case.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Even DRC?

even DRC if they wanted him over any of the other three. They have room to move with good cap management but they don't have an endless amount of room. 2-4 top 5-20 deals (depending on positions signed) is their max right now if they want to sign their draft pick and fill out the roster. Of course the close you get into the top 5 range the less quality you can get on the back end and the more quality you want on the back end the less you can pay up front. Really they have enough space to resign Vollmer, get a starting caliber CB, and either get a top 20 WR or target say a top S and a coverage LB who won't hurt you on none passing downs or a situationally pass rushing DL who will give you ~5-8 sacks a year. They have room to move but not get crazy which isn't a bad thing because I don't think they are that far off. You need at least 2 CB's (one slot, one starting), a SS, an interior rushing presence, a coverage LB, RT, and at least 1 WR. The rest is essentially depth pieces. You have 3 picks, if 2 work out and you resign say Vollmer and Talib then really you are looking at 3 possible spots to fill. 1 would be a slot CB and another a coverage LB. Nether of which should break the bank. Additionally if you go S in the market and let Welker go you could get a slot CB, coverage LB, and a top 10 SS for what Welker would have received. At that point you filled the holes remaining while pushing the cap limit. So filling the holes with the current cap is more then do able but they have to be smart in who they sign and hit on 2/3rds of those early picks.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

if the PAts sign Wes or Vollmer, they have zero leverage for a CB like Talib or DRC.

The PAts are not in a good cap situation. They have very few contracts that they will terminate, and very few that they will negotiate. They have between $14-$16 mil available, and after signing Wes or Vollmer, they will have about $8 million left to fill in the roster.

I never said the Jets were in a good or bad salary cap position....I simply said by ridding themselves of some players of no consequence, and by renegotiating some obvious contracts, they will be $20-$30 million under the cap. They of course need to also fill in their roster, and it remaons to be seen if they are able to do that with current management and coaching staff.

As I have mentioned before, unless Brady is EXTENDED past his 38 birthday, the Jets will have more cap space available than the Pats entering free agency.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

if the PAts sign Wes or Vollmer, they have zero leverage for a CB like Talib or DRC.

The PAts are not in a good cap situation. They have very few contracts that they will terminate, and very few that they will negotiate. They have between $14-$16 mil available, and after signing Wes or Vollmer, they will have about $8 million left to fill in the roster.

I never said the Jets were in a good or bad salary cap position....I simply said by ridding themselves of some players of no consequence, and by renegotiating some obvious contracts, they will be $20-$30 million under the cap. They of course need to also fill in their roster, and it remaons to be seen if they are able to do that with current management and coaching staff.

As I have mentioned before, unless Brady is EXTENDED past his 38 birthday, the Jets will have more cap space available than the Pats entering free agency.

False. Pats are in strong cap position and control the leverage on Welker. Maybe not so much Vollmer.

Plus, who knows if Wilfork or Mankins will be asked to restructure this year.

NE is wating for the market to come to them, as always. Meanwhile, the Jets are wildly knee jerking and scrambling, trying to dust off their panties as the laughingstock of the NFL.

I can tell you when Mankins will restructure...never

Wilfork will, but it means extending him. How smart is that at his age, position, physical condition and his wear and tear?

The elephant in the room is Brady. Do the PAts extend him after his 38th birthday? If they dont, they are in tough shape with the cap this year AND next year.

You also fail to realize that if the Jets are $20-$30 million under the cap this year, AND they trade REvis, in 2014 they are again $20-$30 million under the cap

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

the jets are screwed, basically.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

lmao

I just don't understand how Philly can cut an underperforming 32 year old player and in a matter of minutes create 11 million in cap room...salary cap hell shouldn't allow this, correct??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

False. Pats are in strong cap position and control the leverage on Welker. Maybe not so much Vollmer.

Plus, who knows if Wilfork or Mankins will be asked to restructure this year.

NE is wating for the market to come to them, as always. Meanwhile, the Jets are wildly knee jerking and scrambling, trying to dust off their panties as the laughingstock of the NFL.

I can tell you when Mankins will restructure...never

Wilfork will, but it means extending him. How smart is that at his age, position, physical condition and his wear and tear?

The elephant in the room is Brady. Do the PAts extend him after his 38th birthday? If they dont, they are in tough shape with the cap this year AND next year.

You also fail to realize that if the Jets are $20-$30 million under the cap this year, AND they trade REvis, in 2014 they are again $20-$30 million under the cap

The Jets will not get to 30 mil under a 122 million dollar cap in 2013.  Ain't happening. You have 3 weeks to hope it somehow does.

I've realized the Jets disaster 3 years ago when I saw them tossing draft picks left and right and wildly overpaying for a bunch of aging, past their prime players, hoping to catch the Patriots during their mini-rebuild through the draft.

I've nailed every single freaking element to the Jets debacle and you keep ignoring the facts, while being absolutel belligerent here, ruining the board.

TEN Jets players count for $110 million under the 2013 cap, dumbo.  That's guaranteed on the team or not.

DO THE MATH. An NFL team needs to field 53 players.  Draft picks will cost around 5 million total.

They'll be lucky to be 5 million under after the draft to sign their rookies.

If they can trade Revis or Cromartie, which they have to do, now with lesser leverage, that will help, yes.

Enjoy being 100% completely wrong on another topic, unable to admit defeat. When Brady's contract expires, they will resign him (if that's the direction they choose to go), when the 2015 cap goes way up.

Glad I could help.

The Jets are absolutely screwed for the next 2 years (minimum), but leave it to you to frame them being in "better position" then NE. Unreal.

I'll explain once more because you are a dunce.

The Jets cap is $124 in 2013 because they have carry over.

The Jets currently sit at approx $144mil in cap commitments. In essence, they are $20 million over the cap...

They will cut inconsequential contributors;

JSmith(never played last year)-$12 mil savings

BScott(part time lb who played poorly last year)-$7 mil in savings

ESMith (part time S)-$3mil in savings

CPace (productiuon was non existant last year)-$8.5 mil in savings

These 4 cuts result in $30.5 mil in savings, putting the Jets $10 mil under the cap.

They will re negotiate Mangold, Holmes and HArris, resulting in another $15 million in savings putting the Jets $25 million under the cap. THis is with out cutting TEbow or restructuring Sanchez or Cro (which they will do), or trading Revis

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

ProFootballTalk         ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk

Packers announce that DB Charles Woodson has indeed been cut.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

lmao

I just don't understand how Philly can cut an underperforming 32 year old player and in a matter of minutes create 11 million in cap room...salary cap hell shouldn't allow this, correct??

Are you claiming them needing to cut possibly both Aso and DRC, amongst others, that they are not in a bad cap spot?

LOL!

Yes, let's cut our two best elite CBs, desperately sign a crappy 32 year old QB because no one else wants him, and pretend poor cap management off the lockout is not the reasons why these moves from a point of weakend leverage, are good.

Tears!

Gee, Mt Hurl, it's you and RKrap, neck and neck for the cap guru moron award.

The Eagles are $25 million UNDER the cap with Aso on the books at $15mil. (DRC is a free agent)

Vick was slated to make $15mil. The Eagles resigned him for $3.5 million for 1 year.

How is that not genius?? How are the Eagles in Salary cap hell with $25 million available??

Sections
Shortcuts