Chandler Jones is an awsome player but...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Chandler Jones is an awsome player but...

if he learned some different techniques he would be even better. Anyone know which techniques he doesn't use now would bring his game to another level? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Chandler Jones is an awsome player but...

In response to rtuinila's comment:

if he learned some different techniques he would be even better. Anyone know which techniques he doesn't use now would bring his game to another level? 

Sitting?

If he gets the same rest as other NFL Defensive Ends Im sure he will be fine. I saw him display an array of different moves his rookie year. His moves are more basketball like and unorthodox(hesitation moves, change of speed) but results are results. He has gotten more sacks per season than anyone in my time playing for the Pats and did that while basically being a non factor in the last 2 months so if he gets the necessary rest that a young player should get, coming out raw out of Syracuse then he will be fine. By Comparison, JPP, the player he most comparted to coming out, got to go to N.Y. where they had a nice rotation of Tuck, Osi, Mathias, etc and JPP only had 8.5 sacks his 1st 2 years, starting 21 games.

If he Plays LESS, He will Produce MORE. Last year he played 96% of snaps until November where he played 99%!!!  His sack total never went up after November so he got all that production in 2 months(8,9 gms)Thats Way too much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

He can bull rush, speed rush and he is pretty relentless.  For a rangy guy he holds up well against the run.  Plus he's pretty durable, or at least he plays through the pain because being durable means that you play hurt.  I agree that having more depth at DE would be a good thing for his career.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I second the notion of less snaps.

Also goes without saying that if the interior of the DL also needs to be blocked, Jones will not be facing so much double team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

If you want to see a rise in productivity/performance - find another player opposite him that is just as good as him....or better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I second the notion of less snaps.

Also goes without saying that if the interior of the DL also needs to be blocked, Jones will not be facing so much double team.

I doubt there was any intention of him playing that many snaps last season before the spate of injuries forced him to. On the good side he picked up valuable experience and if the front 7 stays healthy this year it will seem like a vacation to him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

If you want to see a rise in productivity/performance - find another player opposite him that is just as good as him....or better.

I don't agree. Nink is just fine thank you. The team needs Vince and Kelly back to health, and they need another DE for the rotation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Less snaps for sure and having someone up the middle other teams need to worry about. Notice once Vince and Kelly went down the OL mostly concentrated on C. Jones? Without having an entire player the O needs to worry about they can T off on Jones.

Also he needs to leverage his hip a bit better on the outside speed rush. Noticed a couple of times he drops the hips and opens his shoulder a bit too much which lets the T block him around the QB. He needs to learn to keep his hip in more for leverage around the corner and use the shoulder at the point of the attack to drive the T off balance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

I doubt there was any intention of him playing that many snaps last season before the spate of injuries forced him to. On the good side he picked up valuable experience and if the front 7 stays healthy this year it will seem like a vacation to him.

No defensive ends were injured for the Pats.  Wilfork's and Kelly's injuries shouldn't have affected Jones' playing time; I'm reasonably sure that he still would have played 90+% of the snaps even if 'Fork and Kelly were healthy all season.  He bumped inside on a few occasions in sub packages, but not significantly more than he did in 2012 without the injuries.

The injuries resulted in snap count bumps for Chris Jones (68%) and Vellano (58%), as well as Sopoaga (10%) and Siliga (19%) getting any snaps at all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

In response to glenr's comment:

No defensive ends were injured for the Pats.  Wilfork's and Kelly's injuries shouldn't have affected Jones' playing time; I'm reasonably sure that he still would have played 90+% of the snaps even if 'Fork and Kelly were healthy all season.  He bumped inside on a few occasions in sub packages, but not significantly more than he did in 2012 without the injuries.

The injuries resulted in snap count bumps for Chris Jones (68%) and Vellano (58%), as well as Sopoaga (10%) and Siliga (19%) getting any snaps at all.

What Glen aka Rusty should have said is that I doubt the Pats had any expectations on leaving both Buchanan and Bequette on the bench ALL Year while Nink and Jones were s*cking wind but that would be an indictment on BB and that would be Taboo.

Lets see if BB kicks the dead weight and wastes, I mean uses more picks on depth players that give out water on the bench.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Yeah, he just needs to play fewer snaps and the rotations for both DT and DE need to improve by one player each...you can't succeed very often if you're seeing two blockers on each and every play, and you're also on the field all the time...can't be done...he'll be fine and the D line will be fine...they'll add talent in the draft.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

What Glen aka Rusty should have said is that I doubt the Pats had any expectations on leaving both Buchanan and Bequette on the bench ALL Year while Nink and Jones were s*cking wind but that would be an indictment on BB and that would be Taboo.

Lets see if BB kicks the dead weight and wastes, I mean uses more picks on depth players that give out water on the bench.

This is the rare case where I blame BB the coach more than BB the GM.  I think Buchanon's and Bequette's benching have more to do with their inability to set the edge against the run than in their lack of talent.  I wish BB would be a little more lenient with letting youngsters make mistakes in live action so these situations (Jones playing 95% of the snaps) don't happen.  Keeping them in the lineup might have hurt early in the season, but it would have helped Jones and Nink at the end; and maybe, just maybe, Buchanon/Bequette would be able to develop.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

This is the rare case where I blame BB the coach more than BB the GM.  I think Buchanon's and Bequette's benching have more to do with their inability to set the edge against the run than in their lack of talent.  I wish BB would be a little more lenient with letting youngsters make mistakes in live action so these situations (Jones playing 95% of the snaps) don't happen.  Keeping them in the lineup might have hurt early in the season, but it would have helped Jones and Nink at the end; and maybe, just maybe, Buchanon/Bequette would be able to develop.

Could be both faults. Maybe Buchanan and Bequette just don't have the talent to produce in the NFL and maybe they are just so bad against the run BB won't play them. Either way GM or coach it's the same guy, so it's either on the GM for finding players who can't do what the coach expects or it's on the coach for not playing them because he's asking too much

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

It's like everyone has said it's all about depth, a rotation.  Time to dump Bequette and get on with it.  DE is a top priority IMHO.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

I don't agree. Nink is just fine thank you. The team needs Vince and Kelly back to health, and they need another DE for the rotation.

yet, where's the pass rush?  You happy with it? Sure, they get to the QB in meaningless games...certainly never when we need it the most.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

yet, where's the pass rush?  You happy with it? Sure, they get to the QB in meaningless games...certainly never when we need it the most.

Mayo was hurt too. That made a difference. The middle would have been stellar with Vince , Kelly and mayo healthy.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Maybe smoking crack in the locker room will help.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

long time no see meadowlark

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

how were tcal and philskw able to post and nobody else can?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

on the plus side, it's great meadowland isn't able to post

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

ok I give up, can't hack my way to anything better

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Sections
Shortcuts