Chandler Jones Overrated?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Chandler Jones Overrated?

I listened to Fred Smerlas and Ted Deossie weei real post game show from this weekend on a podcast. They said chandler jones does too much hand fighting at the line of scrimmage and hasn't held up well enough in the run game. In their opinion, Ninkovich is a much better pass rusher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Re: Chandler Jones Overrated?

That was clear when Jeff Cumberland dominated him.  He's an ok player.  Considering that the Patriots traded up for him, I would have expected him to be dominant right out of the gate.  Coples is much better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:

That was clear when Jeff Cumberland dominated him.  He's an ok player.  Considering that the Patriots traded up for him, I would have expected him to be dominant right out of the gate.  Coples is much better.

4 sacks against New Jersey this season.  Coples has done nothing this year.  What's next?  Geno Smith better than Brady.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  This isn't even good trolling.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I listened to Fred Smerlas and Ted Deossie weei real post game show from this weekend on a podcast. They said chandler jones does too much hand fighting at the line of scrimmage and hasn't held up well enough in the run game. In their opinion, Ninkovich is a much better pass rusher.

[/QUOTE]

Ninkovich is not a better pass rusher, but Jones struggled last week match against the Steelers in run defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In all seriousness how can a 2nd year player with 8.5 sacks through 9 games be overrated?  Do you think BB would leave Chandler in for virtually every snap if he wasn't doing a good job setting the edge?  Come on now.  What a ridiculous premise.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Jone's can be a little inconsistent at times where as Nink you know what you'll get but I do think part of that is Nink is stronger and more compact which gives him better ability to hold his position and bull rush while Jones needs better hand movement and slip moves to take advantage of his speed and natural agility. The biggest problem however, is that without a threat up the middle (and no Chris Jones doesn't provide that good of a threat) teams can game plan around Jones and keep 1.5 men on him at all times. If Wilfork and Kelly were in the middle I don't think anyone would even question if Jones was overrated as his natural abilities would take over in a 1v1 matchup 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think there is a lot of truth to what Fred and Deoss say. But the mistake I think they make is mentioning "over rated"...the guy is a 2nd year player, and has scratched the surface of the type of player he will become. He is getting by on athleticism now, wait until he really understands the position. Nink is now what he is...most likely at the top of his game, with really no ability to play better than he is. The sky is the limit for Jones.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Who said he was overrated? Fred and Steve or the OP?

Overrated compared to what? What is he currently rated? ...by whom and how, in what way?

Seems like a vague silly post.

Sounds more like it was simply Fred and Steves opinion that Nink was more consistently solid in "ALL" facets of his positional responsibility.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

I put overrated in the title because if what they said is true he is overrated by fans. But overall my impression was they are not very impressed by him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Here is the link it was a good listen I thought

http://audio.weei.com/device/mobile/a/83748677/the-real-postgame-show-the-state-of-the-patriots-at-the-midway-bye-week.htm

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Though I agree fans tend to over rate certain stats (sacks for one) I also think they under rate other things (like run D). Chris Jones is a prime example. What he's done is great for being a 6th round pick he was claimed off of waivers but he doesn't get as much pressure on the QB as people think and is a liability in the run game. If a unicorn pooped a magical cure all that would get Kelly and Wilfork back on the field Jones would be the 4th option behind them and Soap. Even then I don't think he'd get on the field every 3rd down and might only be a situational sub but people around here are praising him on high because sack numbers sell and he's a very hard worker. Again admirable but it does make people over rate his actual abilities.

Now Chandler Jones on the other hand isn't as good of an all around player as Nink but he's a much better pass rusher and he consistently gets pressures game in and game out. They don't always result in sacks but I can guarantee QB's are looking his way as they drop back. As he develops I'm sure he'll get stronger against the run so I can see where the over rated might come from but what he provides as a rusher I think can't be understated not because of the total number of sacks but because of the consistent pressure he provides. He might not give as much as Nink as the game as a whole (run, screen, pass rush, dropping back) but what he does excel at is more than Nink could ever give.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

I don't know that he is getting consistent pressure. I also think he gets mostly coverage sacks- he himself said the two sacks he had last game were coverage sacks

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I don't know that he is getting consistent pressure. I also think he gets mostly coverage sacks- he himself said the two sacks he had last game were coverage sacks

You're telling me this was a coverage sack?  Seriously?

Chan2

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

That looks like  total incompetence on the steelers part

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Most defensive linemen are underrated as a group.  When the Patriots lost their two starting defensive tackles (plus Armond Armstead never got healthy to date) they were really hurting. 

Chandler Jones is an every-down defensive end and he's out on the field playing.  He's not a sub-package guy.  A lot of players play injured so we don't know if and when he's playing at 100%, but Chandler has his ups and downs.

I gave Motivation Coples his moniker on the day that he was drafted.  Then Rex Ryan benched the guy in rookie camp to teach him a lesson, and so far it has taught him the wrong lesson.  I think he's better than Stone-Hips Gholston, if that makes you feel any better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]

That looks like  total incompetence on the steelers part

[/QUOTE]

No, that's lateral explosion coming out of Chandler Jones's right leg.  The defender needed to make a solid block at Jones's waist because otherwise Jones would bull-rush him straight back.  All of the defender's power went for Jones's waist region, except Jones himself was suddenly one yard to the left.  Don't put a running back on him--that's the incompetence on the Steelers' part.  One step later you can see Jones's explosion toward the quarterback.  The rest is Jones tracking the QB's escape path, hitting the QB with a pretty good pop and sticking his arms near the football just in case he can get lucky.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

First of all I don't know if there is two bigger meat heads/morons on the radio than these two guys. Deossie's voice should not even be heard on radio within 300 miles of New England for what he said after we lost to the Giants in that Super Bowl and Smerlas is a known idiot. As dumb as these two are I can't believe they would say Nink is a better pass rusher than Jones - to say something like that would take away any credibility they have (although I realize they have none).

Jones was poor in the run game against Pittsburgh and he has made mistakes in that department all year, but he is by far the best pass rusher we have. I think he is a better pass rusher than McGinnest ever was and McGinnest had more natural ability (faster, stronger), so to say he does too much hand fighting at the line is a joke.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're telling me this was a coverage sack?  Seriously?

Chan2

[/QUOTE]

And there was another play like that where he got in there even quicker, but Ben got rid of the ball on a quick slant. This guy may end up getting 18 sacks this year and we are talking about him being overrated?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Give it time. Jones is twice the athlete Nink is. 23 games 14.5 sacks, he's still learning the position. He has all the tools and he plays hard. I'd be concerned if he was a stiff or didn't show effort. He's none of the above.

Michael Strahan had 5.5 sacks combined his first two years.  It's not an easy job.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think there is a lot of truth to what Fred and Deoss say. But the mistake I think they make is mentioning "over rated"...the guy is a 2nd year player, and has scratched the surface of the type of player he will become. He is getting by on athleticism now, wait until he really understands the position. Nink is now what he is...most likely at the top of his game, with really no ability to play better than he is. The sky is the limit for Jones.

[/QUOTE]
    Agreed, Nink is at the top of his game CJ is just getting started.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Are sports talking heads overrated?  Do they even know what they're talking about?  Are they just leaching off fans' interest in the game to get paid for doing nothing?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

well said

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

These guys are saying the same things that people said about Willie McGinest in his early years. Chandler Jones reminds me a lot of McGinest. Their stats are eerily similar as well.

Willie: Tackles 98, Assists 31, Sacks 15.5 (32 games)

Chandler: Tackles 50, Assists 45, Sacks 14.5 (25 games)

They are both 6' 5" and around 260 lbs, and both very fast for their size. Chandler might be a bit faster, in fact. He is young and inexperienced but watch out in a couple of years.

Chandler has a high ceiling and once we shore up the nose tackle position, he will be even more productive.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But look at the bright side. If the jets can win 65 games in a row, the franchise will reach .500. LMAO

And if the Pats lose 120 or so in a row, they will be about where the jets are now. LMAO again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But look at the bright side. If the jets can win 65 games in a row, the franchise will reach .500. LMAO

And if the Pats lose 120 or so in a row, they will be about where the jets are now. LMAO again.

[/QUOTE]

Now that's funny. Awesome response. Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts