Chandler Jones set to break out in 2014!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Chandler Jones set to break out in 2014!

You heard it hear first, 16+ sacks. Averaging at least 1 per game.

I've been saying every year (all 2) how impressed I was, largely because he was such a raw player coming out of Syracuse.

He's smart, and has an impressive family pedigree. They all know how to work.

Coming into 2013, Jones did a lot of martial arts training...I wonder with who...hmmmm. The best MMA fighter on the planet.

I wonder what he's doing THIS offseason? He's 24. 

I'd thought he was way ahead of schedule. I was curious, and went to look up a scouting report from 2012...and found something even better:

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/2/15/5401410/2013-new-england-patriots-review-chandler-jones-defensive-end

Never heard of Pats Pulpit. Don't know the author, Kevin OConnor. Apparently he's an NBA guy based on his tooter @kevinoconnorNBA.

But I respect when someone does the work.

"Before the 2012 draft, NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said, "Three years from now, I'm gonna say Chandler Jones is the best defensive player to come out of this draft."

"One reason for his lack of consistency is likely due to his underdeveloped pass rushing moves. Jones still needs to improve on crafting a go-to move, since many of his sacks could be labeled as "coverage sacks."

But this is to be expected considering he was one of the rawest defensive players in the 2012 draft.

Entering next season, Chandler Jones is arguably ahead of schedule in his development, so the future is bright for him and the New England Patriots."

I remember one thing from pretty much every scouting report when he was coming out though...he had 1 pass rush move at the time. Speed. 

This kid could be SCARY good!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Re: Chandler Jones set to break out in 2014!

I can't argue.  While Nink only had 8 sacks last year, he had the 5th most QB pressures in the NFL, which certainly helped Jones.  Also, with the return of Kelly and Wilfork in the middle, I suspect sack totals are going to go up as a result. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If we get a DT that can push the pocket and if we get a 3rd DE to give him some rest and give another team something to worry about other than Jones I think he could have a monster year. But I think they need a DT to push the pocket and a 3rd DE. 95+% of snaps again is going to wear him out just like it did last year

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

I can't argue.  While Nink only had 8 sacks last year, he had the 5th most QB pressures in the NFL, which certainly helped Jones.  Also, with the return of Kelly and Wilfork in the middle, I suspect sack totals are going to go up as a result. 

Other way around, Jones became the focus of many double teams that gave Nink 1-on-1 coverage. Jones isn't going to get help from Nink, Jones needs to hit the weights and add some mass to be able to take on double teams.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

If Jones can up himself to 275 lbs, he'll be unstoppable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

In response to agill1970's comment:

Other way around, Jones became the focus of many double teams that gave Nink 1-on-1 coverage. Jones isn't going to get help from Nink, Jones needs to hit the weights and add some mass to be able to take on double teams.

That gave me goosebumps.

I have no doubt he'll add mass.

He's 24, and there are 2 professional examples of his brothers to see what they are physically capable of. Chandler, at 24, is the 'baby' of the 3.

I take back what I said earlier...I'm removing any doubt of my position...this kid WILL BE SCARY GOOD!

The more research I do...the more I read...I almost want to up my 16 sack prediction. I'm telling you, this is his second off season.

He was a JUNIOR in college, had a prospect's offseason, got drafted and had a good rookie season as a VERY raw player.

He came off that rookie year, had his first real offseason, and jumped 5.5 sacks to 11.5 total, up from 6 as a rookie.

He's still growing into his body. He's still learning the position.

I mean...fking SCARY GOOD!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I think Collins is going to shine too, made some real nice plays in Play-offs, that really impressed me.

Sections
Shortcuts