Chandler Jones Year 2 Jump

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Chandler Jones Year 2 Jump

On a recent radio interview, Jones said he has added 10 lbs of muscle, bringing him up to 270lbs . He reportedly had a good offseason, adding bulk, training in MMA with his brother and is poised to have a year 2 progression similar (I hope) to that of JPP or Watt. 

Jones exhibited big potential last year before his injury. 2 things I thought he needed to do this offseason was to add bulk (check) and improve his hand use and quickness (maybe check with MMA and other training). 

What type of year do you think Jones will have? A meteoric rise like JPP and Watt, or something closer along the lines of his production last year which wasn't too bad either. If he had stayed healthy, he may have projected to have 10+ sacks and a bunch of tackles which probably would have garnered him the DROY award.

what say you? 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Chandler Jones Year 2 Jump

If he can repeat his performance of the first 6 games of his career over an entire season then he'll be fun to watch. I can't wait to see what the MMA and adding some bulk adds to his game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

On a recent radio interview, Jones said he has added 10 lbs of muscle, bringing him up to 270lbs . He reportedly had a good offseason, adding bulk, training in MMA with his brother and is poised to have a year 2 progression similar (I hope) to that of JPP or Watt. 

Jones exhibited big potential last year before his injury. 2 things I thought he needed to do this offseason was to add bulk (check) and improve his hand use and quickness (maybe check with MMA and other training). 

What type of year do you think Jones will have? A meteoric rise like JPP and Watt, or something closer along the lines of his production last year which wasn't too bad either. If he had stayed healthy, he may have projected to have 10+ sacks and a bunch of tackles which probably would have garnered him the DROY award.

what say you? 

Even if Chandler Jones performs better as an individual - the Patriots need someone else on the other side who is capable of getting to the QB. 

I don't think Jones plays well enough yet to command attn to draw 2 lineman all the time - plus, again, there has to be someone else on the other side who can take advantage of 1:1 matchups.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coco40038. Show Coco40038's posts

Yea I'm hoping he atleast goes up with his sacks and not down. Extra weight is good if you don't lose speed. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

...Even if Chandler Jones performs better as an individual - the Patriots need someone else on the other side who is capable of getting to the QB. 

+1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Let's not forget he will be playing next to Tom Kelly now.  One or the other may need to be double teamed.. eventually one will get through... 

Jones   Kelly/Armstead   Wilfork   Nink/Collins(sub)

With a more solid secondary(finally) and front, they should compliment eachother pretty well.  

I'm expecting strides with this D and the continuity that has been built. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Let's not forget he will be playing next to Tom Kelly now.  One or the other may need to be double teamed.. eventually one will get through... 

Jones   Kelly/Armstead   Wilfork   Nink/Collins(sub)

With a more solid secondary(finally) and front, they should compliment eachother pretty well.  

I'm expecting strides with this D and the continuity that has been built. 

Yep. Time will tell. We need to have someone apply pressure either up the middle or opposite of Jones. Otherwise, any improvements made in the DB positions will be for naught because eventually someone will get open no matter how tight pass coverage is for the first 3-4 seconds of a play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Seems commited to his craft. Very good news.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

what say you? 

Even if Chandler Jones performs better as an individual - the Patriots need someone else on the other side who is capable of getting to the QB. 

I don't think Jones plays well enough yet to command attn to draw 2 lineman all the time - plus, again, there has to be someone else on the other side who can take advantage of 1:1 matchups.

Agree with this, and I think the pats have several options. Collins for one should be able to contribute immediately at least in a rushing the passer mode. Combine that with what the pats did upgrading the interior with Kelly and armstead, bequette in year 2, nink, etc, and I think we,will see an improved rush coming from the outside and inside, and, bb may even elect to send AWilson or someone else on a corner or safety blitz more often. On paper, this defense has name excited to watch.

Personally, I see Jones having a good year. 10+ sacks, 50+ tackles, an INT and a couple of FF's. I do agree with Eng...all depends on health, but I fully expect bb to use him in a multitude of schemes as both a de and olb. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Assuming he is healthy he should show improvment. But I do not EXPECT fireworks as much as just really solid play and some games where he stands out. I expect more of him in the playoffs. I expect he will play like a mainstay of a superior D. That does not mean he has to be all world or all pro. Nice if he is.

I do not expect him to be swtched to strong side. THey might. It wont surprise me. But I do not expect it. IF he can become a dominant player on the weak side where he might only be a solid player on the strong side it could make him more of a play maker. I would not be shocked to see Hightower end up on the strong side.

We will need a second mainstay pass rusher and a couple of solid guys. Nink is a solid guy. Not sure who will step up to be a manstay. one of the neew DTs? Bequette? One of the LBs? Not sure.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

An NFL coach's rule is to fire one guy for every game you lose.  The team lost four regular season games and one playoff game. 

BB doesn't have to fire hardly anyone on the offensive side of the ball..  Brady and crew set a new NFL record for first downs in a 16 game season, so blaming the QB, the O-line, the tight ends or the running backs won't work at all.  Slot receiver Wes Welker wasn't fired, he just wanted a bigger free agent contract.  The wide receivers were nonexistent all last year -- meataxe, please. 

Now we get to the defense.  The linebackers are solid.  The defensive backfield is, um,  where's that scalpel?  Put them aside for another day soon enough, we're dealing with the D-line today.  Wilfork is good on the line.  Jones was good until he started playing injured.  Everybody else on the D-line should get into the lineup.   Love?  Chop.  Deaderick?  Whack.  Ron Brace timed himself out on the injured reserve list. 

I don't guarantee that BB will find himself half of a defensive line quickly.  Armstead will probably be good.  Tommy Kelly, the 10 year vet, will probably be adequate until he gets beat up a bit but he's still on the downside of his career.  After that, lots and lots of people have to prove themselves.  BB is out fishing.  Sometimes he comes up with a big fish and sometimes he hooks a couple of little sunfish.  I expect something in the middle, a so-so defensive line this year with better guys than at the end of last year but not exactly Richard Seymour, Ty Warren and Two Ton Ted Washington.

Yes, Chandler Jones will improve this year but he'll get double teamed a lot. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

I predict a monster year from Jones, as long as he stays healthy. We all saw how good he was before his injury last year. Factor in that, plus adding 10 pounds of muscle, and a years experience under his belt. This bodes very well for the Patriots defense, which I think is going to be the strength of the team. The Patriots are built to win the Super Bowl this year and I for one can't wait.

Sections
Shortcuts