Chandler Jones

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Chandler Jones

Who does this guy remind you of? I personally find his game/talent to be a bit different than McGinnest (a guy he's been compared to). McGinnest ran a 4.5 coming out of college, had a very quick burst and bull rushed his way to the quarterback for years until he learned a few pass rush moves. Jevon Kearse has Jones's length, but was a freak with his quickness.

When I first saw Jones play in college I thought whoever got him was going to be getting a good 43 end, with the potential to be more than good. I figured if he gained a little weight, he could be Bruce Smith...then he showed up here last year looking ten pounds lighter than he did in college. Anyone know what his weight is now? Did he gain any? Or are they going to be putting him in a hybrid, outside type?

The reason why I thought Bruce Smith with him, was his use of his hands. He's very active up top...very flexible too. I like the way he uses those long limbs, body control and strength. I don't think he has that quickness that McGinnest and Kearse had, but I can see him developing his craft into something better than those two...it's why I thought of Smith.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Chandler Jones

Jones is bigger than McGinest, Jones reminds me more of JPP...even if they're only a year apart.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Anyone know what his weight is now? Did he gain any? Or are they going to be putting him in a hybrid, outside type?

Everything I've read suggests he put on a fair amount of weight this offseason (in a good way).  10 lbs?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

[QUOTE]

Anyone know what his weight is now? Did he gain any? Or are they going to be putting him in a hybrid, outside type?

Everything I've read suggests he put on a fair amount of weight this offseason (in a good way).  10 lbs?

[/QUOTE]

Did he? I couldn't really tell by watching him this preseason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Incognitacious' comment:

He more resembles Jason Taylor to me..a little more stout, but he's more like Taylor than the others..and that's fine with me

I just think Taylor is much quicker, I remember watching him in some all star game before he was drafted and he almost didn't look like a guy that was big enough to be on the line...he looked like a skinny, tall linebacker. I think he had four sacks in that game...in a quarter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Did he? I couldn't really tell by watching him this preseason.

Who knows?  I mean Ridley supposedly put on a lot of weight in the offseason, but then lost it because we thought he was too heavy.  Idk if the same applies for Jones or not.  Like you it is hard for me to tell although given his frame and position I'd be surprised if the team was against him bulking up a bit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

I read that he's put on 10 pounds or so. If he can stay healthy he's going to have a big year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Charles Haley? That's pretty good - gain ten pounds and I can see that. Haley had that height and those long arms...Chandler has that. I think Haley wasn't as flexible, but he could play with power when he needed to...I see a lot of similarities.

One thing on McGinnest...he played most of his career at 255. It wasn't until the last part of his career that he got that big. He walked by me when Carroll was the coach at camp one year - the guy had sticks for legs and a little waist - he was big up top and tall...then he just got big.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

It'll just be nice for Jones to get some help this year....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Jones is bigger than McGinest, Jones reminds me more of JPP...even if they're only a year apart.

Jones is not bigger than McGinest. Willie was 6'5 270.  Jones is close, but not bigger.

Jones reminds me of Charles Haley. I am not saying he'll be Charles Haley, who was a fantastic player IMO, but he reminds me of that.

I also think Buchanan shares a similar body style. Very rangy, upside, still growing into his body, could add some weight like Jones and still not lose the athleticism.

Then Will had his weight well distributed across his body, Chandler just looks heavier.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

It'll just be nice for Jones to get some help this year....

Tommy Kelly Is help.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Tommy Kelly Is help.

we will see this coming Sunday Laughing

wanna see the Pats get after Manuel...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

and it will be interesting to see how Patricia uses Collins, if he's athletic enough to make an impact the first game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Simeon Rice.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Jones reminds me of Charles Haley. I am not saying he'll be Charles Haley, who was a fantastic player IMO, but he reminds me of that.

I remember Haley although he was pretty well into his career by the time I was a serious spectator.  I was just looking up his stats and realized that he won 5 rings.  Jesus.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

[QUOTE]

Simeon Rice.

I see  him more as a one dimensional 4-3 DE, where I think Jones has more athleticism in space.

I can see why you mention that name, but I always saw guys like Kearse and RIce as a 4-3 DE and a pin your ears back type. Not the best against the run unless getting into the backfield and  liability in the flat.

I think Jones has the ability to be that McGinest Elephant here, where you don't really know if he is playing a 4-3 DE kind of thing or a 3-4 OLB role.

[/QUOTE]

Well, Rice was plenty athletic but I get the point. I was referring to body type. Very similar. If Jones proves to be a better all around defender than Rice, I'll take that. If he's as good, that's not bad either. We could use a sack master like Rice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Simeon Rice.

I can see a little bit of that - Rice could bend around that corner and get those sacks with his length. I'd love to see Chandler stay healthy all year and just be that sack monster that I think he can be, he already helped Nink have a career year with all the attention he drew...I'd like to see Buchanon on the other side on obvious passing downs...that could get interesting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Everybody up and down the front line has levers, gorilla arms.  Exception: Vince Wilfork who has other qualities that draw a double team.  Jones has been living in the opponent's backfield this preseason because he has all sorts of moves this year including his old rip move, because his body strength is balanced now and because he's healthy again. 

All that he needs now are instincts to leap when the pass is thrown, to bat a few balls.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If they play him exclusively at defensive end Charles Haley is a good comparison of the best he could be, if they play him at outside linebacker his sack numbers will suffer but he has the ability to play like Willie McGinest.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

He is the first jersey I've purchased since a red Welker after 2007....and for the price of a jersey at the pats pro shop he better be close to one of these guys.

Imo he is JPP type talent. Long strong and is learning good technique. I like the Haley comparison but don't think he has the speed or agility Willie showed. Willie was amazing. 6'5 and ran a 4.5 at his weight.

"Defense Wins Championships"

Sections
Shortcuts