Change of topic... Why the AVATAR?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Change of topic... Why the AVATAR?

Gen./Dr. James Doolittle. An American original that is mostly forgotten. More important than Lindbergh, but not nearly as well known.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

It's a Patriots forum!  TFB is my favorite player!  Enough said!

No he isn't. Welker is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Gen./Dr. James Doolittle. An American original that is mostly forgotten. More important than Lindbergh, but not nearly as well known.

World War II if I'm not mistaken. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Avatar is me... name is a mix of first name/last name/favorite #.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Mine is me... name is a mix of first name/last name/favorite #.

Swoldier!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

I just don't really care about avatars.

Much the same sentiment as the board has about your input.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

One of my favorite avatars on here Mr. Muz.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Yes primarily, actually served in I and II but saw combat action only in II. Invented instrument flying, among other things, between wars. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Mine is obviously a tribute to the Pats' field general from the good old days. Watching Babe started me loving the game. I think it's fairly obvious that QB is my favorite position.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

One of my favorite avatars on here Mr. Muzz.

Well, thanks but I'm just trying to keep a legend alive, so to speak.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Yes primarily, actually served in I and II but saw combat action only in II. Invented instrument flying, among other things, between wars. 

Yes, I remember watching something about that on the History channel.  I remember him mostly for the infamous Doolittle Raid.  I find everything concerning WWII to be so fascinating. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Mine is obviously a tribute to the Pats' field general from the good old days. Watching Babe started me loving the game. I think it's fairly obvious that QB is my favorite position.

Who woulda thunk it?!?! ;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yes, I remember watching something about that on the History channel.  I remember him mostly for the infamous Doolittle Raid.  I find everything concerning WWII to be so fascinating. 

Me too. Believe it or not my knowledge of WW2 is probably even greater than that of football!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Me too. Believe it or not my knowledge of WW2 is probably even greater than that of football!

Oh, we believe it...nyuck, nyuck!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Well that's because you had first-hand experience! Hehe

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Who the heck doesn't know about Doolittle's raiders? They should be tired to friendship medals and dropped from a plane

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Who the heck doesn't know about Doolittle's raiders? They should be tired to friendship medals and dropped from a plane

That would be about 90% of the people under 40.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Yes, he covered the rear cockpit of a biplane with canvas and took off, flew for a while and landed without seeing anything and using radio signals as a guide. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Sure, people have heard of it. But they don't know much about it, what it took to pull it off, how it went down, etc. And few know anything about Doolittle, they probably think "oh yeah, didn't he talk to animals?"  It's like the Battle of the Bulge or Iwo Jima or a dozen other events, everybody knows the names but how many know what those guys endured?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

That would be about 90% of the people under 40.

That's a real shame. I'm under 40 but consider myself a history buff. To me forgetting about Doolittle is like forgetting about Jone Paul Jones or John Thach or Patton or Ethan Allen or Baron Von Steuben

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Muz, Irish and Babe, each of you may enjoy reading a book that I'm just finishing that I got as a Christmas present from my daughter-in-law - The Admirals by historian Walter R. Borneman.  Book is about the 4 eventual 5-start Admirals who won the war at sea during WWII:  Halsey, Nimitz, King and Leahy.  

Exceptionally well written, factually detailed and tremendously readable with more than a couple of eye-openers.  Interesting discussion of MacArthur and his relationship with Halsey.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

Certainly not forgotten here in Cali. Many cities around here have a Dolittle Drive, Street or Way. He had a special conection with San Leandro, Ca. as well as Being born in Alameda.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Muz, Irish and Babe, each of you may enjoy reading a book that I'm just finishing that I got as a Christmas present from my daughter-in-law - The Admirals by historian Walter R. Borneman.  Book is about the 4 eventual 5-start Admirals who won the war at sea during WWII:  Halsey, Nimitz, King and Leahy.  

Exceptionally well written, factually detailed and tremendously readable with more than a couple of eye-openers.  Interesting discussion of MacArthur and his relationship with Halsey.

And what was Halsey's nickname?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Thanks for the insight, ATJ!  I just read a synopsis on the book and it looks very intriguing.  I'm sure my Grandfather, who fought in WWII while he was in the Navy, would have loved to read it.  I'll definitely check it out the next time I go to Barnes & Noble.

• Sections
    Shortcuts