Change of topic... Why the AVATAR?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Change of topic... Why the AVATAR?

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

Muz, Irish and Babe, each of you may enjoy reading a book that I'm just finishing that I got as a Christmas present from my daughter-in-law - The Admirals by historian Walter R. Borneman.  Book is about the 4 eventual 5-start Admirals who won the war at sea during WWII:  Halsey, Nimitz, King and Leahy.  

Exceptionally well written, factually detailed and tremendously readable with more than a couple of eye-openers.  Interesting discussion of MacArthur and his relationship with Halsey.

And what was Halsey's nickname?

Bull, because he liked to hit them hard, fast, and often who doesn't know that?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Muz, Irish and Babe, each of you may enjoy reading a book that I'm just finishing that I got as a Christmas present from my daughter-in-law - The Admirals by historian Walter R. Borneman.  Book is about the 4 eventual 5-start Admirals who won the war at sea during WWII:  Halsey, Nimitz, King and Leahy.  

Exceptionally well written, factually detailed and tremendously readable with more than a couple of eye-openers.  Interesting discussion of MacArthur and his relationship with Halsey.

And what was Halsey's nickname?

In the Academy or in command of the fleet?  He had a couple.  

Pudge at the Academy; the 'Bull' in command ;)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Gen./Dr. James Doolittle. An American original that is mostly forgotten. More important than Lindbergh, but not nearly as well known.

Who the heck doesn't know about Doolittle's raiders? They should be tired to friendship medals and dropped from a plane

That would be about 90% of the people under 40.

That's a real shame. I'm under 40 but consider myself a history buff. To me forgetting about Doolittle is like forgetting about Jone Paul Jones or John Thach or Patton or Ethan Allen or Baron Von Steuben

It's not just people under 40, historical ignorance spans the generations.  What am I talking about, take out "historical."  Did anybody catch the Jimmy Kimmel show where they asked people what they thought about the first ladies debate between Michele Obama and Ann Romney?  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Gen./Dr. James Doolittle. An American original that is mostly forgotten. More important than Lindbergh, but not nearly as well known.

Who the heck doesn't know about Doolittle's raiders? They should be tired to friendship medals and dropped from a plane

That's a real shame. I'm under 40 but consider myself a history buff. To me forgetting about Doolittle is like forgetting about Jone Paul Jones or John Thach or Patton or Ethan Allen or Baron Von Steuben

It's not just people under 40, historical ignorance spans the generations.  What am I talking about, take out "historical."  Did anybody catch the Jimmy Kimmel show where they asked people what they thought about the first ladies debate between Michele Obama and Ann Romney?  

Wait a min, I could be a complete fool here and look like Leon, but I didn't think there was a first lady debate, nor has there ever been

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to xBruzer77's comment:

Certainly not forgotten here in Cali. Many cities around here have a Dolittle Drive, Street or Way. He had a special conection with San Leandro, Ca. as well as Being born in Alameda.

That's good to hear, thanks. I know there's his museum at Travis AFB.  Haven't visited yet, but plan to at some point.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Wait a min, I could be a complete fool here and look like Leon, but I didn't think there was a first lady debate, nor has there ever been

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EohGmG-QUhA

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

There is indeed much ignorance about the land and it resides across the entire political spectrum (unless, of course, you agreee with me in which case you are educated, enlightened and brilliant).

Just sayin'.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

God help us. 

You can't fix stupid.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

My college

Go Eagles!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

B25, one of my favorite model planes to build!

World War II if I'm not mistaken. 

Yes primarily, actually served in I and II but saw combat action only in II. Invented instrument flying, among other things, between wars. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Keep them coming folks, lots of posters with avatars to explain!!  Better than busting chops about Brady, the defense and the next game.  THANKS!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I Obviously have no avatar after the last forum change and havent been able to add but I do appreciate you bill for starting this thread. Def. a break from the normal back and forth bickering and all and maybe it will get folks to lighten up once they know more about their fellow posters and keep it more civil.  If I could I would upload a pic of me in gillette stadium, sitting in highest seats possible next to this old couple  during a pre-season game smoking a Fatty!  lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Keep them coming folks, lots of posters with avatars to explain!!  Better than busting chops about Brady, the defense and the next game.  THANKS!

Refreshing break from all the negative banter that goes on here sometimes. I enjoy getting little glimpses into peoples personas beyond the forum . Thanks everyone for sharing, this has been a most enjoyable thread....KMc....F-15

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to NESportnut's comment:

Refreshing break from all the negative banter that goes on here sometimes. I enjoy getting little glimpses into peoples personas beyond the forum . Thanks everyone for sharing, this has been a most enjoyable thread....KMc....F-15

F15..   really like that plane, it is huge close up.  Made a 1/12 scale model of it in camo back in the day.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

I uploaded this cartoon of Vince getting ready to enjoy some Buzzard Pie the week before the AFCCG last year.  I wanted to change it to a picture of a can of Rust Out it found on Yahoo after Rusty went wild this fall, but the down grade the Mods did to this board won't like me change it.  It will hopefully be relevant again next week!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

In response to NESportnut's comment:

F15..   really like that plane, it is huge close up.  Made a 1/12 scale model of it in camo back in the day.

Funny, I'm making fullscale live ones for a living every day!!:)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to ccsjl's comment:

Mine is Brady with the trophy going by me in the 2003 parade in Boston....

As the man in my avatar would say about your avatar "Top Notch" Top Notch"!!!!

Ted Knight ftw. Guy was the best.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Picture of myself .... I need to update it though. It's been the same for the better half of a decade.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

Great picture of Gronk catching the ball

That was an amazing catch. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to ccsjl's comment:

Mine is Brady with the trophy going by me in the 2003 parade in Boston....

As the man in my avatar would say about your avatar "Top Notch" Top Notch"!!!!

Ted Knight ftw. Guy was the best.

Most under appreciated performance in CaddyShack. Rodney, Bill, Chevy and the Gopher all overshadowed his performance.

I love the old comedy's from the Dean Martin Celebrity roasts to the string of late 70's early 80's comedies Movies like Animal House, Stripes, Caddyshack, Blues Brothers, Diner etc...

Animal House and Caddyshack. YES

"Over?! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!?!"  That very well might be the best quote of all-time.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

BB signed this ball for me!

Sections
Shortcuts