Changes to forums and comments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Changes to forums and comments

Thanks Dottie!  I am sure our patience (some of us) will be worth it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

This is getting to be like PTI and ATH - Pardon The Interuption and Around The Horn.

BSF111 and myself, had a short conversation about these changes and nobody added value to it. BSF111 called it "a work in progress that should never be released" and I said " that is an understatement'.

In reality, any and all NEW changes to a forum CAN be done in-house on the back burner, and not placed on the Web as a beta (change trial) copy in progress . This work can and should be developed and tested totally seperate,  without the pressure of time constraints, complaints etc.

BDC said that " they previously had an outside contractor developed and  maintaining the forum software and now they have thier own IT developers".  Thats the way I understand it!

The prior Forum -that BDC already paid for and is now BDC legal Corporate property - could have been left alone until the new work was totally developed, tested and completed. THEN, submitted to the public with just 'bare bones' complaints. Because it is a massive amount of work and takes time, that IMO would have been the best decision.

I can't even imagine that BDC and the new IT experts did not have a meeting to discuss all the possibilities. This present type of action would NEVER be accepted by The Medical, or Defense Industries to try out on Humans or $100 million aircraft until the proper approvals by the FDA/FAA/DOD to be used by the Customer, who -in this case- is BDC and the public. Because this Media software is small potatoes in comparison it still should have followed the same standard rules. AND, with no headaches from/by the customer! Unfortunate situation.

BDC: Just fixing the TOOLS only for the next itteration of software may be the best thing to accomplish FIRST. THEN afterwhich, if BDC and your IT experts want to integrate the OLDer Forum with the NEWer forum that surely can be done on the back burner ALL BY ITSELF. That mix and match work is difficult and just may not be worth it in $ & Cents. By that time the members may not even care about the OLDer Threads, ANYWAY. If they do care about the OLDer info then you can say, "we are working on it".

There is NO NEED to start other threads of Forum complaints. The complaint thread is HERE! HUH?

Have a good night ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm pretty easy, as long as I can edit posts, check my spelling and post pictures then I am good.  Sure all the other features will be nice and make it more enjoyable but I can survive until then if I have those 3 features I suggested.

BDC, I didnt see anywhere addressing the posting pictures, is this planned for the near future? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to TFB12 comment:

I am pretty sure that is what she meant by "add an image".  On the list.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

In response to TFB12 comment:

I am pretty sure that is what she meant by "add an image".  On the list.

Ooops, probably so.  I missed that, thanks for pointing it out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to BDCDottie's comment:

Folks, most of the items you've listed are not errors or mistakes or bugs ... they are features that we could not replicate from the previous software before launch because of the deadline we were given. They all will be restored as we work through our list of outstanding items. They include: 

> Edit your post 
    > Gold stars to jump to your last unread post 
    > Ignore a user 
    > Add an image 
    > Colored fonts 
    > Change your avatar 
    > Add a signature 
    Etc. 

There are bugs, which are to be expected with a project as massive as this one: We imported more than half a million user accounts (along with all the associated avatars, userIDs, member since and last post dates), more than 3 million forum posts, and who knows how many millions of article comments. And we had to make that data, all originated in another company's software, fit and work into the platform we were building. 

We have a list of all of the bugs, including those you noted, and our devs are working through them now. We know that the bad words filters is malfunctioning (related to the "S" issue). We know that when you type in this comment box and use return at the end, your cursor disappears off the box. We know that some of the WYSIWYG tools at the bottom of the comment box aren't working. And we know that many of you keep getting logged out between browser sessions. 

I apologize for the annoyances, but believe me, several developers are on this full-time. These items all will get restored, and the bugs fixed. 

Good to know, dottie is aware of the new software's shortcomings and that the developers are working hard to restore features like EDIT and DELETE and IGNORE

No word yet though on when these functions will actually be available for use. A week from now? A month from now? Two months?

All we have is dottie's assurance that theyre on her "to do" list. Hmmm

Why do I get the feeling that it will be Xmas/New Year's around here, and we still wont be able to edit our own posts?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

In response to SCH81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

Re: Changes to forums and comments. this site is so messed up. i cant post.

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to Mighty2013's comment:

Dottie, the arch-troll known as Rusty is back under the name "DelGriffith".  And his other pseudonym, Babe Parilli is also back.  And the Board is once again degenerating into their personal toddler shouting match.  Please IP ban these guys once and for all.

We see DEAD people..... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Dottie, can you please remove the Pats Giants game thread? I know it was a pre season game, but it brings back bad memories and this is a new season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to Mighty2013's comment:

Dottie, the arch-troll known as Rusty is back under the name "DelGriffith".  And his other pseudonym, Babe Parilli is also back.  And the Board is once again degenerating into their personal toddler shouting match.  Please IP ban these guys once and for all.

Dottie, the arch-fink known as Mighty2012 is back under the name "Mighty2013". And his other pseudonym, Mighty2011, is also back as well I think. (Not certain about the latter, but pretty sure). Anyway the Board is once again degenerating into his own personal snitch fest. No one is safe from being tattled on as long as he is around. Please IP ban this stoolie once and for all

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Not that I want to rehash this discussion but I just noticed on the Red Sox page they have a Fantasy Baseball forum. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Not that I want to rehash this discussion but I just noticed on the Red Sox page they have a Fantasy Baseball forum. 

They do?

That's fantastic!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]  I agree 100% with TexasPat.  Neither of those 2 threads belong in the "On the Front Burner" page.  They have nothing too do with current Patriot talk. 

Solution: Move them to another page, say "Around the NFL" and make them Red and Sticky [/QUOTE]  

Unbelievable why this is such an issue.  Why are you and TexasPat not complaining about the 'Dez Bryant Contract' thread being in th Patriots on the Front Burner forum, last I checked Dez Bryant played on the Cowboys.  Or what about the thread titled 'Humor' that is about the Jets or the one titled 'Does Communist Contrarian work for TMZ' thread... to name a couple.  There are many non Patriots related thread in the forum.  It's just the nature of the forum.  So why are you making such an effort to single out this one thread?  Looks like you have an agenda here.

[/QUOTE]
    Maybe he isn't complaining about those other threads because nobody is begging for them to be PINNED to the top of the front burner

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

We already covered this.  We don't need one of those forums.  There is only going to be on thread for Fantasy Football, why creat a whole forum for one thread?  People who asked for it to not be pinned to the top were in agreement with keeping it On the Front Burner.  Plus there is plenty of Patriots players talk in the thread to keep it in the Patriots forum.  Also, if you keep the Fantasy Football thread out of the On the Front Burner forum then you would have to remove half the other thread on the forum since they don't have anything to do with the Patriots.  Such as Moss to start for 49'ers, the Jets (a thread of laughs), Saints players Suspension... you get the drift?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

dottie help,

the board just posted my thread like 5 times.

dottie, et al can you help?....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

After the REAL season the Sox have had...I can understand why Fantasy Baseball has become popular...LOL!!! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

We already covered this.  We don't need one of those forums.  There is only going to be on thread for Fantasy Football, why creat a whole forum for one thread?  People who asked for it to not be pinned to the top were in agreement with keeping it On the Front Burner.  Plus there is plenty of Patriots players talk in the thread to keep it in the Patriots forum.  Also, if you keep the Fantasy Football thread out of the On the Front Burner forum then you would have to remove half the other thread on the forum since they don't have anything to do with the Patriots.  Such as Moss to start for 49'ers, the Jets (a thread of laughs), Saints players Suspension... you get the drift?

TFB...this is a Patriots/football discussion forum. It's been this way for over a decade. Those other threads you mentioned above indirectly deal with the Patriots, since they deal with the NFL and REAL football issues...and belong in the confines of a football discussion forum. But, Fantasy Football has nothing to do with the Patriots, or REAL football issues. Therefore, it technically does not belong here. A separate forum page for it would be more appropriate...get the drift?

That said, I don't think it harms anybody to have a FF thread included herein...so long as it's not made a focal point of the discussion content, by permanently affixing the FF thread above all others.   

As I've said in previous posts, there's no need for an "Around the NFL" section. It's a place where no one goes...and, therefore, any threads placed there by the Mods will die. This forum segment originally existed about 10 years ago. Posters tired of having their threads placed there, resulting in no discussions on those threads being generated. Many of those posters eventually stopped posting, or went elsewhere to discuss football. As a result, the "Around the NFL" segment was scrapped...and the "Patriots on the Front Burner" page was expanded to include all football related issues.  

For these reasons, the Globe should again scrap the "Around the NFL" segment, all together and forever...and allow "Patriots on the Front Burner" to be as it's always been...a place where the Patriots and football related issues can be freely discussed, and debated.    

[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

You have to hit refesh after adding your post. Otherwise you get multiple posts,  it looks like nothing happens when you add post but its in there you just have to hit refresh.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

dottie can you see if yoru tech guys can do anything about the repeating threads?
    thanks

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Thread is getting really messy.  Any time line on completed upgrades?  Posts aren't getting cupdated with count #'s. Desperately missing spell check.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I need an edit button...sometimes I type stuff that I think makes sense in my mind.  But when I read it...it's a train wreck.  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Dottie/Mods

I know this is happening to a number of posters- every time I leave front burner- I'm logged out- even though I have checked to stay logged in.  After logging in (multiple times) it takes me to boston.com home page- not front burner- or Patriots page.
    Yes please on Edit option with spell check.
    Thanks.

Sections
Shortcuts