Changes to forums and comments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Changes to forums and comments

In response to BDCDottie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hi everybody,

As you can see, we've launched new discussion forums, article comments, and personal profiles on the site. We've always relied on software from other companies to power our user tools.  But during the past few months, we've built our own – we think this will give us more flexibility and control over these features.

Here in the forums, we had to delay the implementation of some of the features that you like: The gold star that brings you to the first unread comment, Ignore this user, spell check, add an image, and some others. We have a working list of items to restore in the coming days and weeks.

There’s a fuller explainer here: http://www.boston.com/community/note_to_bostoncom_users/

Please leave a comment here about any features that are missing that I didn't mention in the note linked above, or if you're having any technical issues.

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

I just lost a post that took me an hour and a half to compose. Some kind of virus froze my computer. This is the 3rd time this has happened. Very frustrating. This never has happened...until this new system was implemented. Please look into this. Thank you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Can you get rid of the giants game thread already!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Dottie...for the third time now...I've lost a long post, because my computer locked more than midway through it composition. There is something in the new system that's causing this to happen. This had never happened under the old system. This is getting extremely frustrating! Please look into this.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Comon Dottie get your pick into the knockout pool. You still have time for the monday night game. Dont listen to any of then except about the edit function and font color. Here is a treatie bone for you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I'm having all kinds of problems logging in, and posting. This new system is getting worse by the day...not better. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

I'm having all kinds of problems logging in, and posting. This new system is getting worse by the day...not better. 

I had that problem earlier too.  at the top it said TFB12s profile like I was logged in, then at the welcome it said log in and so I did even though it looked like I was already logged in, but I  still didn't get the message box.  I tried like 20 times, finally gave up, logged out and came back later, logged in and it worked.  Strange!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Hey I found the discussions! lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Another day, and a week into the 2012 regular season...and yet that Pats/Giants pre-season game thread remains stickied at the top of this page. Ridiculous. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to Rodimus77's comment:

Hey I found the discussions! lol

Yep it's funny that they have all that white space above Community and then have the Discussions link in this Tiny little font that you if you didn't know was there would probably be overlooked.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Dottie,

The forums have been unavailable on 2 separate days (including today) for several in the last week.   If this is part of planned maintenance could you post a message to that effect when people try to go to the page?

Also, can you provide an update of any progress being made and a timeline for delivering the changes you've promised?

thanks

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Aproximately 16 months ago the official Patriots message board went threw changes similar to these and NEVER completed the changes, promising to return lost features the whole time. Mean while posters died off and trolls ran amok(the worst was a MOD), chaseing off more posters. This to the point where you seen a hand full of posts per day. Lately with out any notice the board was gone. I see DEJA VU !!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to part-timer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Aproximately 16 months ago the official Patriots message board went threw changes similar to these and NEVER completed the changes, promising to return lost features the whole time. Mean while posters died off and trolls ran amok(the worst was a MOD), chaseing off more posters. This to the point where you seen a hand full of posts per day. Lately with out any notice the board was gone. I see DEJA VU !!!

[/QUOTE]

Dottie, it's been a while since you've updated us on the status of this new system. As you can see from the post listed above, some of the natives here are getting restless. What's going on? Is this new system really an upgrade...or has it been implemented to cut costs? Are we ever going to see a return of the former features, like the edit function, spell-check, ignore, and a system that's easy to log on to? If so, when can we expect these features to re-appear? Is it the intention of BDC to start charging a fee to enter and/or post of this forum? 

Really, is it too much to ask to have that grossly outdated Patriots @ Giants pre-season thread unstickied?   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

updates PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Hi Dottie its me again. You can still join the knockout pool... I know its week 2 but its you after all. Feel free to let me know how my edit function is coming along.  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Arghhhh! Radio silence from boston.com. Please throw some informational crumbs our way.

Updates or downgrade? This season or next?  Patience is not high on my list of virtues.

I'd settle for the deletion of the taunting Pats- Giants preseason game thread at the top of page one- front burner. I may even stop whining about how messy this board has become.

Help.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I found this on another BDC forum, I hope it helps.

Ignore this user -- This is a popular feature that we have to delay implementing for a couple of weeks. However, we have saved everybody's "enemies list", and when we re-introduce this, we will restore your personal list of the users you have already ignored.  

Images -- Some of you like adding photos to your posts; that will be on hiatus for a little while.  

Polls -- Conducting a poll is popular in our Sports forums, but we haven't built our own polling tool yet to be able to continue this right away. It's coming.  

Search -- We want to give you the ability to search for anything in our forums; it's a bit complicated to implement, so we're delaying this feature for a few months.  

Subscribe -- Some of you have subscribed to particular discussions or forums in order to get notified when somebody has added a post. That, too, will be added soon.  

Private forums -- You've asked for these, and we're planning to deliver.  

Discussion lists -- On the front page of many of our sections, such as Red Sox and Lifestyle, we have widgets that pull in the latest discussions from a particular forum. We're still building those, so in their place you'll see links directly to the relevant forums.  

Profile Pages Public/private -- You can set your Profile Page to be public (viewable by everybody) or private (viewable by only you). Eventually we'll have a third option: Viewable by only your Friends.  

Private messages -- This is another feature you have requested that we've built for you. From now on, when somebody leaves a message for you on your Profile Page, it is private - only you can see it, even if you have your Profile Page set to public.  

Friends -- Don't worry, we haven't forgotten your friends. They're saved, but won't be displayed on your Profile Page until later.  

Personal blogs -- We've also saved your blog posts. Although you won't be able to view them right away, they will return so you can once again blog to your heart's content.  

Personal photo galleries -- Very few of you used this feature, so we probably won't add it back.  

Profiles -- We can't let you change your avatar right now, but you'll soon be able to.  

Forum signatures -- Your current forum signatures will stay, but the ability to change them or add new signatures is on its way.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Love that Avatar. Nice!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

the ridiculous mess the new "reply" function causes (see a few messages up for a small example) 

has to be near the top of a long list of needed fixes. 

but I am more and more assuming that the budget is not there to make this great. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

This new system is horrible. Posting here is becoming a chore, rather than a pleasure. It may be time to move on. Very frustrated by the Mods...and their relectance to give us any updates on what's going on...or time-tables as to when things are going to be fixed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Mods

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to Rodimus77's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Love that Avatar. Nice!

[/QUOTE]

Thank you I got it from a Florida Gators newspaper

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Hey, sorry for the lag in posting updates ... I've been busy QA'ing the changes and fixes that the devs are implementing. Some are on article comments, some are in our Admin tool, and some are here on the forums. In the forums so far we have:

- Added the numbered pages at the bottom as well as the top

- Restored a lot of missing discussions

- Fixed the bad word filter that was filtering perfectly good words like "hit"

- Increased the font size of the text in the comment box

- Fixed the disappearing cursor and scrolling issue in the comment box

- Added the original poster's screen name to quoted replies

- Pinned the location of the cursor in quoted replies

- Fixed the WYSIWYG tools

Being worked on:

- Edit this post

- Ignore this user

- Getting logged out issue

- Our registration system taking you to the homepage after you log in

- Gold stars to take you to last unread post

- Search

- More WYSIWYG tools (spell check, emoticons, etc.)

- Section front nav changes

- Blocked user behavior

Any other issues you're still experiencing not listed here?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Photos/change avatar, colored fonts and general profile stuff. I realize these are probably not high priority right now. Also agree with TexasPat about long posts. My computer didn't lock up but several times my post just disappeared while I was typing. Is there some kind of time limit?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts