Changes to forums and comments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Changes to forums and comments

Suggestion:

Provide that the original poster of a thread can ban any poster they deem undesirable from that thread they created after the offending entity has posted once to the thread. Real mods still retain the powers to delete inappropriate comments of course.

That goes far in providing self-moderation and can dramatically reduce the number of ornery comments and fosters a greater respect for the originator of the thread as the boot button is just a click away.

So for example, a jets troll can be exculded from threads started by Pats' fans if the OP so desires after a percieved transgression. The banned jets fan is free to make their own thread and control that, but if nobody participates - oh well.

I think you will find a system like that would greatly reduce the angst many persons express about the current board with much less work needed from the real mods.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Suggestion:

Provide that the original poster of a thread can ban any poster they deem undesirable from that thread they created after the offending entity has posted once to the thread. Real mods still retain the powers to delete inappropriate comments of course.

That goes far in providing self-moderation and can dramatically reduce the number of ornery comments and fosters a greater respect for the originator of the thread as the boot button is just a click away.

So for example, a jets troll can be exculded from threads started by Pats' fans if the OP so desires after a percieved transgression. The banned jets fan is free to make their own thread and control that, but if nobody participates - oh well.

I think you will find a system like that would greatly reduce the angst many persons express about the current board with much less work needed from the real mods.

That is the best idea I have seen posted on this thread. I wish they would do something like that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

More to the point, Dottie, you need to report up the food chain that the "new" board is killing off the paper.  Better to go back to the old system until you fix it.  Then get someone experienced in software quality control to sit on the project and mother it.

[/QUOTE]

Paul, they're not going to "fix it". It's been months now. It is what it is. Cutting costs evidently means more to them than pleasing the of users of their forum.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I bet they probably could get some techno weenies to do the development for them if they gave these persons admin power   Many boards I've been to have some users as admins. What th heck their always there anyway    Maybe they would get rid of the negative Nancy's  and the trolls.  

Dottie your desk has been cleaned out, you can pick up yourbelongings at the security gate.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCH81. Show SCH81's posts

Re: Changes to forums and comments...We just need to find another forum. They could care less about us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to BDCDottie's comment:

Hi everybody,

As you can see, we've launched new discussion forums, article comments, and personal profiles on the site. We've always relied on software from other companies to power our user tools.  But during the past few months, we've built our own – we think this will give us more flexibility and control over these features.

Here in the forums, we had to delay the implementation of some of the features that you like: The gold star that brings you to the first unread comment, Ignore this user, spell check, add an image, and some others. We have a working list of items to restore in the coming days and weeks.

There’s a fuller explainer here: http://www.boston.com/community/note_to_bostoncom_users/

Please leave a comment here about any features that are missing that I didn't mention in the note linked above, or if you're having any technical issues.

Thanks.

IGNORE BUTTON???? HELLO????

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Suggestion:

So for example, a jets troll can be exculded from threads started by Pats' fans if the OP so desires after a percieved transgression. The banned jets fan is free to make their own thread and control that, but if nobody participates - oh well.|

Once a thread is posted it belongs to everyone on the board, not just to the person who authors it

I'm all for self-policing, but I dont like the idea of giving the original poster the power to zap anyone he deems "undesirable" or a "troll". It's too arbitrary...especially with the way the word "troll" is thrown around in this forum

Instead of reducing "angst", it will more likely raise irritability levels and lead to more problems and bad feeling on the board

Not that it matters anyway. We cant even get DELETE around here, nevermind something exotic like youre proposing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

This new system continues to suck...with no improvements on the horizon. For months, I've complained about starting long posts, only to be left stranded several paraghraphs in, because my computer freezes up. It happens every time I go back and make corrections, or edit sentences. It seems to key a function that causes my computer to lock up.

I am so, so sick and tired of dealing with this, that it's taken any and all of the fun away from posting here.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

TEXAS PAT IS SPOT ON!!!   BDC DOTTIE, YOU SHOULD BE FIRED BUT OBAMA DID NOT LOSE HIS JOB FOR PUTRID PERFORMANCE AND NEITHER WILL YOU.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lefty49. Show Lefty49's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

TEXAS PAT IS SPOT ON!!!   BDC DOTTIE, YOU SHOULD BE FIRED BUT OBAMA DID NOT LOSE HIS JOB FOR PUTRID PERFORMANCE AND NEITHER WILL YOU.

Stop hollering at everyone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to Lefty49's comment:

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

Stop hollering at everyone.

You are right. sometimes I don't realize the caps lock is on and I don't wish to retype since I'm a one finger typist.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

This new system continues to suck...with no improvements on the horizon. For months, I've complained about starting long posts, only to be left stranded several paraghraphs in, because my computer freezes up. It happens every time I go back and make corrections, or edit sentences. It seems to key a function that causes my computer to lock up.

I am so, so sick and tired of dealing with this, that it's taken any and all of the fun away from posting here.    

Actually this is a good news/bad news thing. I have found that the prolonged wait in responding allows for  a few (1 maybe 2) new entries to come in. The board is so inactive now, that essentially it goes dark.

Ther use to be ( my assumption) that before there were more west coast contributors that would post after 9Pm ..but I do not see that now.

I can lose $200-300 in solitaire waiting for new posts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Hi Dottie we miss you being around.   Happy thanksgiving to you and yours.  Btw your still fired. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Hi Dottie we miss you being around.   Happy thanksgiving to you and yours.  Btw your still fired. 

Got a good laugh out of that one.

Seriously though, Dottie and the gang have appeared to not only put us on the BACK BURNER but have taken us out of the Kitchen completely.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Hi everybody,

As you can see, we've launched new discussion forums, article comments, and personal profiles on the site. We've always relied on software from other companies to power our user tools.  But during the past few months, we've built our own – we think this will give us more flexibility and control over these features.

Here in the forums, we had to delay the implementation of some of the features that you like: The gold star that brings you to the first unread comment, Ignore this user, spell check, add an image, and some others. We have a working list of items to restore in the coming days and weeks.

Thanks.

Once again, for at least the 4th time, I'm complaining about the inability to author long posts on this horrible new system. It appears that, when attempting a long post, you get "timed out". Something always appears to happen, half way through a lengthy post, in which I get "this program is not responding" type messages, and my key board freezes up. As a result, I post gets wasted, along with my time. Please let me know whether you intend to look into solving this problem. It's been ongoing for most of the season.    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Hi everybody,

Thanks.

Once again, for at least the 4th time, I'm complaining about the inability to author long posts on this horrible new system. It appears that, when attempting a long post, you get "timed out". Something always appears to happen, half way through a lengthy post, in which I get "this program is not responding" type messages, and my key board freezes up. As a result, I post gets wasted, along with my time. Please let me know whether you intend to look into solving this problem. It's been ongoing for most of the season.    

Just paste the post into a text editor and compose your additions. Then paste the completed work into a reply. Better than wasting your time. Simple enough.

It appears that nothing is going to get fixed here any time soon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Is BDC even paying attention or working on these forums any longer?  I have noticed many of the other discussion boards on here have been abandon by posters or the activity has really decresed due to the mess this place has turned into.

P.S. Sorry if I have spelling errors in this post, my spelling has became horrible due to auto correct and spell check but of course there is no spell check on here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Maybe it's a sign that you talk too much.  Nobody cares what you have to say except you.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to themightypatriots's comment:

Maybe it's a sign that you talk too much.  Nobody cares what you have to say except you.

Love you too, Mighty. LOL!!!

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

BDC Dottie, hope you are fired in time for X-mas.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Is BDC even paying attention or working on these forums any longer?

I dont know, but the last time dottie posted a message in this thread was September 18, which is exactly ten weeks ago today

Since then she's been AWOL

(The Pats btw were 1-1 at the time and getting ready to play Baltimore...)

Tells you something about the level of concern that the mod staff has for the miserable state of the board right now and the sense of urgency that none of them seems to have for making things right again around here

• You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Interesting comments all but ...

I highly doubt Dottie ( or any mods at all ) are to blame for the lack of improvement .

Seems likely it's a BDC bigwig calling the shots.

In fact , I doubt anybody at BDC is even bothering to read this thread .

PS

The concluding string of words are not meant to be offensive  -

Just a test to see if ANY type of monitoring is present :

( please nobody flag )

F ** K  -  F **K -  F ** K

NOTE : The offending words were here for over a day

( spelled out w/o asterisks )

Just as I suspected - they were allowed to stand ... no one home .

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Bring back the ignore button!!!!

Are you kidding, it takes this much time to do this, or is it because you found out it reduces the number of post/hits thereby reducing the revenue stream?

Is anybody home?!!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to CaptnFoxboro's comment:

Interesting comments all but ...I highly doubt Dottie ( or any mods at all ) are to blame for the lack of improvement .Seems likely it's a BDC bigwig calling the shots. In fact , I doubt anybody at BDC is even bothering to read this thread .

I know it's not her fault, but it's been three full months now since the big changeover. Nothing to show for it

A little candor from the mod staff would be appreciated

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Dottie in my world there's typically 2 ways this is handled.  First someone above looks at your performance, calls you into the office, states 2dumb examples of what you did wrong, and then hands you your pink slip.  They can't actually tell you what you did cause it may hurt your feelings and we all know that everyone gets a trophy and orange slices. It will be hard for you right before Xmas not having treatie bones and squeaky toys to give the and mister and the pups on the 25 th. 

the other way is someone from BDC posts that their sorry for your neglecting your duties and starting tomorrow Fido will be here to fix this mess.  It's tough being the sacrificial azz. I'm sorry, merry Christmas 

• Sections
    Shortcuts