Changes to forums and comments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Changes to forums and comments

BDC.. as I am sure you are aware, there is a very big problem with quoting others posts.  Once quoted sometimes the post and quote is formatted properly and sometimes it isn't.  I have tried to determine if this is due to improper html formatting (which it doesn't seem to be the case) or if there has to be a certain number of spaces between the quote and the first or last word, that doesn't seem to be the issue either.  It just seems to be random.  Can you give us some idea why they quoting format is messed up or is it just a random flaw at this time that you are working on fixing?

Thank you!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Why can't I post?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I mean it will tell me I have a banned word. I don't know what that means or how to correct it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:

Yes, freediro. I do visit other forums here. The only stickies Ive seen though are the ones placed up by the mod staff

Ive never seen one authored by any of the board users 

It happens all the time. Sometimes something important will happen and in order to keep it to one thread and keep the front page neat the mods will pin it.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Dottie,

It would be really nice if you could also allow font selection, especially fixed fonts.  That would make it easier to post info in columns.

Thanks

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

For the third time now, I have attempted to author a fairly long post, only to have the computer lock up on me, about 3/4 of the way through. It's not the computer. I've used two different machines. Any idea why this is happening? It's very frustrating.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For the third time now, I have attempted to author a fairly long post, only to have the computer lock up on me, about 3/4 of the way through. It's not the computer. I've used two different machines. Any idea why this is happening? It's very frustrating.   

Its the fantasy foorball fairy sabotaging your Boston.com site.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Type into word, copy and paste.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

How about you guys finish building the software for the forum before switching over next time?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Why make these changes now...on the eve of football season? This could have, and should have been done, months ago. People here, myself included, are now having all sorts of problems posting. Plus, there's no spell check, no edit function, no ignore function, and no delete function.

Years ago, there once was an "Around the NFL" segment to this forum. It was scrapped, because it was a waste of time, and space. If you place a thread there, no one will see it...as no one goes there. I assume that the idea was to place anything football related, but non-Patriots' related, there. That would include the draft thread, and any discussions that deal with important NFL, non-Patriots football topics. Heck, where will the Fantasy Football thread be placed...as it belongs in neither place?!!

Why not just continue to have the Patriots on the Front Burner forum, which includes everything about the Patriots, and all football related news...including Fantasy Football? But, allow no stickies. Stickies have been used on rare occasion in the past on this forum by you, Dottie, in order to direct/dictate discussion content, to get feedback, and/or to spread messages dealing with changes in the forum. Other than that, stickies should not be used.    

Please scrap this new system. Let's get this forum back to what it once was, before the season get into high gear.       

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

The changes BDC made affected all forums, not just the Sports forums.  So there is no perfect time to make the changes.  How do you think Red Sox fans would have reacted if the changeover took place on Opening Day?
    Anytime changes like this are implemented there will be growing pains.  It goes with the territory.  We are getting this forum for FREE.  I'm willing to be patient as improvements are made.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

The changes BDC made affected all forums, not just the Sports forums.  So there is no perfect time to make the changes.  How do you think Red Sox fans would have reacted if the changeover took place on Opening Day?

RESPONSE: The same way that we're reacting, here.

Anytime changes like this are implemented there will be growing pains.  It goes with the territory.  We are getting this forum for FREE.  I'm willing to be patient as improvements are made.

RESPONSE: Do you really believe that the Globe does this out of the mere kindness of their heart? They're getting benefits from having these forums, too. In case you haven't noticed, they sell advertising space here...and draw a following to their sports section...which also sells ad space.
         We've been patient. But, how much longer is it going to take to get things right? Why fix it, when it wasn't broken to begin with?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

We are not privy to all the reasons for the changeover.  One reason given was that the old system was provided via an outside service.   That alone can be a huge issue.   We do not know all the pros/cons of their relationship with that service. 
    I'll use the analogy of renting vs. owning a house.  There are pros and cons with each approach.  Let's say you are renting and the landlord decides to raise the rent substantially;  or he doesn't fix the leak in the plumbing you've complained about for 6 months, etc. etc. etc.

I've worked in IT my whole life.  I've seen seamless transitions and I've seen horrendous conversions.  This is right about in the middle.  And again, it's FREE.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

I agree with Tex; no need for FF stuff on this forum. How about starting a new forum, calling it Fantasy, and include all MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL fantasy stuff on it? My concern is to read/talk about players and what they would/should/could do (advice, anyone?)for the TEAM, rather than what some fantasy player could do to increase his personal "earnings", regarding the 10-25 different "teams" he has. Those discussions always trend away from the game and focus on a player or players for other purposes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

We are not privy to all the reasons for the changeover.  One reason given was that the old system was provided via an outside service.   That alone can be a huge issue.   We do not know all the pros/cons of their relationship with that service. 

That is what I remember reading and they wanted to bring it in house and run it themselves.  I don't blame them!  It is a pain to have it messed up like this but as long as they are working to get all the issues resolved and their plan is to provide a better forum then I am all for it and can be patient.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

BTW, just wanted to say good afternoon to TexasPat!  Only a few more days until Patriot football begins!!  SuperBowl run, here we come!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Not so much the posting thread but the website design stinks. You can't get to this board without having to go through the entire forums page. Why can't you have discussions button on the Pats page go to the Pats boards? It's like the website was designed by a 5 year old.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Not so much the posting thread but the website design stinks. You can't get to this board without having to go through the entire forums page. Why can't you have discussions button on the Pats page go to the Pats boards? It's like the website was designed by a 5 year old.

I'm not sure what issue you are having.  I have the Front Burner saved in my faves and it works fine (after I log in).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

And they do have a Front Burner link on the Pats page.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

And they do have a Front Burner link on the Pats page.

Not on mine. And I empty the cache everytime I close. I tried a new bookmark for front burner and it brings me to the forums page

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

OK bookmarked front burner again and now it's working. Didn't work last week.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

For all others that want to find the link it's about halfway down the Pats page in the center under the heading "Community".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to NEGAME2 comment:

Its the fantasy foorball fairy sabotaging your Boston.com site.

That explains it...LOL!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I'll use the analogy of renting vs. owning a house.  There are pros and cons with each approach.  Let's say you are renting and the landlord decides to raise the rent substantially;  or he doesn't fix the leak in the plumbing you've complained about for 6 months, etc. etc. etc.

I've worked in IT my whole life.  I've seen seamless transitions and I've seen horrendous conversions.  This is right about in the middle.  And again, it's FREE.

I figured that they were doing this to save money. But, sometimes, you get what you pay for...and this new system is awful.

Sections
Shortcuts