Chiefs Trade Tony Gonzalez to Falcons

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Chiefs Trade Tony Gonzalez to Falcons

Today, Scott Pioli has traded 33 year old TE Tony Gonzalez to the Atlanta Falcons for the Falcons' second round draft choice in 2010: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9490416/Sources:-Chiefs-agree-to-deal-Gonzalez-to-Falcons

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Re: Chiefs Trade Tony Gonzalez to Falcons

[QUOTE]     Today, Scott Pioli has traded 32 year old TE Tony Gonzalez to the Atlanta Falcons for the Falcons' second round draft choice in 2010: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9490416/Sources:-Chiefs-agree-to-deal-Gonzalez-to-Falcons
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Damn, I would have given up a 2nd if I were the Pats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Good now we wont have to hear all the "the Pats should trade away their entire draft for Tony G" BS thats been floating around this board for months. he has been moved so the pats cant get him so no more trade talk! woo hoo!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Damn, I would have given up a 2nd if I were the Pats.
    Posted by jerh5[/QUOTE]

Really? Gonzalez is 33 years old. I think that this is a great trade for the Chiefs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

SP wouldn't have traded TG to the Pats, any smart GM tries to trade their talent out of the division/conference. I would  guess the GM of the Dolphins would like to redo the Wes Welker trade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

yea no way was he worth a 2nd round pick. What a dumb move by the Falcons.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from THEGREATgymrat36. Show THEGREATgymrat36's posts

Pats dont need offense, they need DEFENSE!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

This makes the Falcons a little tougher to defend, giving Ryan go to dependable TE. We play these guys this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Oh yea it makes teh Falcons better THIS YEAR. Thats the thing trading for a 33 year old TE at the end of his career will help you win this year but they had to give up a 2nd round pick and if they had drafted a stud with that pick they would get 10 years of play out of him. one year for a 33 year old or 10 years from a 22 year old? I will take teh 22 year old every time. this was a bad move by teh Falcons in the long run but a great trade for KC as they now have a 2nd round pick again after trading us their own 2nd rounder for Cassel.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE] This makes the Falcons a little tougher to defend, giving Ryan go to dependable TE. We play these guys this year.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

Maybe so. But a second round pick in 2010 seems like an awful high price to pay for a 33 year old TE, who really wanted out of KC.

Its' been reported previously that the Falcons had offered their second rounder this year, the 55th overall selection. I guess that Pioli is gambling that the Falcons won't be a playoff team this year...and that hes' bank-rolling future draft picks, in vintage Patriots fashion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]     Really? Gonzalez is 33 years old. I think that this is a great trade for the Chiefs.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    The 58 pick? Yeah I would. I look at it this way, after this season the Pats are going to lose ALOT of players.  Now I am not saying we are not going to be competitive after this year but this might be our best chance for awhile. I  think if you get a chance to add Tony G. for a relatively cheap price, you do it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I knew they would. So has Pioli swindled Dimitrioff?

I think he did. Neither team needs an all-star TE right now  . .. as they are both rebuilding. But both will need one in 2010 or 2011. An by 2011 I doubt T.G. is still going to be an all-star.

The Falcons just traded a second rounder for gate.

Maybe they felt pressured to answer the addition of Shockey to the Saints and Winslow to the Yucks. It will be the all TE division instead of the NFC South.

Pioli should trade that pick into 2009 and get Jared Cook, and in two years he could be a reasonable facsmile of T.G. That would be funny.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]     Maybe so. But a second round pick in 2010 seems like an awful high price to pay for a 33 year old TE, who really wanted out of KC.      Its' been reported previously that the Falcons had offered their second rounder this year, the 55th overall selection. I guess that Pioli is gambling that the Falcons won't be a playoff team this year...and that hes' bank-rolling future draft picks, in vintage Patriots fashion.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]  That I didn't know.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I knew they would. So has Pioli swindled Dimitrioff? I think he did. Neither team needs an all-star TE right now  . .. as they are both rebuilding. But both will need one in 2010 or 2011. An by 2011 I doubt T.G. is still going to be an all-star. The Falcons just traded a second rounder for gate. Maybe they felt pressured to answer the addition of Shockey to the Saints and Winslow to the Yucks. It will be the all TE division instead of the NFC South. Pioli should trade that pick into 2009 and get Jared Cook, and in two years he could be a reasonable facsmile of T.G. That would be funny.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Do you really think that the Falcons are in rebuilding mode? If so, this deal doesn't make any sense for them. Gonzalez = gate? Hell no...winning, and QB Matt Ryan = gate.

This trade is an indication that the Falcons want to win now. And, why not? The NFC South is ripe for the taking. Tampa is in rebuilding mode, Carolina in a mess due to the Peppers situation (and QB Jake Delhomme hardly inspires confidence)...leaving the Falcons to battle the defense-challenged Saints for the division title.

I don't rate TE Jared Cook as highly as I once did. Hes' tall and very fast for a TE. But, the guy is supposedly allergic to blocking. Brandon Pettigrew, Shawn Nelson, or Chase Coffman would seem to be more to Pioli's liking.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I have read that the TE fro FL is a very good prospect who could end being the best pass catching TE in the draft. He will be there in round 3 so i would take a look at him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I think it might be a stretch to say the Falcons are "rebuilding." They had a down year and then won the lottery twice -- with Matt Ryan and Michael Turner. Gonzalez will be a perfect safety valve for Ryan. I don't see how Atlanta doesn't win that division. This is clearly a "win now" move for Atlanta and a building block for K.C. Everybody wins. What would you expect in a deal between Pioli and Dimitroff? (sp)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

This is a win now league, a 2nd rounder for a TE that could help you go deep into the playoffs, will be, and has been done before. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from No1BadGuy. Show No1BadGuy's posts

Actually I think is a good trade for each team. While the Falcons have their offense, their defense is still not final 4-8 contender and in their own division their own division who knows they may still finish behind the Pathers and Saints and not make the playoffs which would be good for the Chiefs.

Remember BB & SP did go 5-11 in their 1st year as they were cap strung and I think SP is trying to follow a similar game plan that he & BB used 10 years ago.

As for TG in NE, as an above blogger stated, our team needs defense defense defense and I will add that we also need an upgrade at RG & RT as well..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I think Gonzo still has a year or two left in him. And he will be a great help for Ryan. They have the running game, with maybe a WR and a couple pieces on defense they could be serious contenders in the NFC. They were off in 07 due to the Michael Vick and DeAngelo Hall cancers. This team is poised to win in that inconsistent division. The Chiefs get a pick for him, so it's not like they're cutting him. Everyone wins. They may now be looking at Pettigrew in the draft.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Good for the Falcons It'll help with the growth of Matt Ryan.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

[QUOTE]Good now we wont have to hear all the "the Pats should trade away their entire draft for Tony G" BS thats been floating around this board for months. he has been moved so the pats cant get him so no more trade talk! woo hoo!
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

I completely agree.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

With the 3rd pick in the Draft the KC Chiefs announce a trade:The Patriots get #3 and Atlanta's 2nd round draft choice next year and KC gets #23 and #47 and Ben Watson. The Patriots with the 3rd pick in the draft are now on the Clock: Do they then spin this pick to Denver for their first Rd pick and 2 second round picks one this year and one next year? Or do they keep it and Draft Curry?Arguably the number 1 Linebacker in the draft.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

This works for both sides. Ryan gets another receiver to complement Roddy White and Pioli gets a pick to rebuild the Chiefs D. It all makes alot of sense to me. Gonzo might only be good for two years, however, the Falcons have to compete now. Coates. Newsome, Francis, and Clark. Having a great TE helps a young QB's development immensely. Pioli can use the money he saved on Gonzo to buy Dorsey some slimfast shakes and draft a quality pick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Pioli getting high marks for his Gonzalez trade: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/23/chiefs-did-well-for-themselves/

Sections
Shortcuts