Chiefs Trade Tony Gonzalez to Falcons

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

Re: Chiefs Trade Tony Gonzalez to Falcons

Pioli getting high marks for his Gonzalez trade: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/23/chiefs-did-well-for-themselves/
    Posted by TexasPat3

The second for this year may have been better?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

How does he get good marks for trading the best tight end in the game?While BB gets ripped for trading an OK linebacker and a back up QB for a 2nd round pick in the same year as the trade? Sounds like double standard grading.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The second for this year may have been better?
    Posted by thehub

The "second for this year" would have been the 55th overall pick...and was supposedly offered to Pioli a week ago. He is likely gambling that the Falcons won't make the playoffs this year. Plus...its' a Patriotic draft pastime to bank high draft picks to set up next years' draft...like the Pats did in 2008 by trading an early 3rd rounder (69th overall pick), for the Chargers' 2nd rounder in 2009...which turned out to be the 47th overall pick this year.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Definitely a swindle.  Pioli agreed to a 2010 pick because he's going to be around KC for at least 3 or 4 years.  How many times have we seen Pioli trade out of the current year and make a profit?  (see the 2009 #47 pick for example - it used to be a third rounder)  Atlanta wants to win this year and will sell out a bit of their future for that fleeting privilege. 

My guess is that Gonzalez at 32 years old is still quite good, but he's almost overpaid from a cap viewpoint, hence his trade value is low.  Worse, he's not the blocking tight end that Pioli would prefer to have, just a glorified slot receiver who couldn't protect Cassell. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Oh yea it makes teh Falcons better THIS YEAR. Thats the thing trading for a 33 year old TE at the end of his career will help you win this year but they had to give up a 2nd round pick and if they had drafted a stud with that pick they would get 10 years of play out of him. one year for a 33 year old or 10 years from a 22 year old? I will take teh 22 year old every time. this was a bad move by teh Falcons in the long run but a great trade for KC as they now have a 2nd round pick again after trading us their own 2nd rounder for Cassel.
    Posted by MVPkilla

You do know that the second round pick that the Falcons gave was for next year (2010), right?

I don't understand why KC did that, unless that was the best offer.

I know that TG was a great receiving TE, but I have heard reports that he was not a great blocker.  Belechick loves the versatile TE's, the ones that Block and catch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Actually I think is a good trade for each team. While the Falcons have their offense, their defense is still not final 4-8 contender and in their own division their own division who knows they may still finish behind the Pathers and Saints and not make the playoffs which would be good for the Chiefs. Remember BB & SP did go 5-11 in their 1st year as they were cap strung and I think SP is trying to follow a similar game plan that he & BB used 10 years ago. As for TG in NE, as an above blogger stated, our team needs defense defense defense and I will add that we also need an upgrade at RG & RT as well..
    Posted by No1BadGuy

I don't think that Carolina is going to do well this year.  They have no cap space because of Peppers and have lost some people in Free agency and have not been able to do anything in free agency.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

I got this from FanNation.com

"This is something we really feel was a decision in the best short-term and long-term interest of the Chiefs," Pioli said, adding the 2010 draft pick could be used in another deal to acquire more picks in this weekend's draft.

"It may be that pick next year or it may be a pick this year or several picks," Pioli said.

Sections
Shortcuts