Chris Gaspar...What Are You Talking About??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Chris Gaspar...What Are You Talking About??

Recently there was a popular thread started on this forum (which the Mods have apparently chosen to delete), questioning the merits of the Globe's sportswriters...and Chris Gaspar, in particular. I posted in that thread, defending Gaspar. But, after to reading his ridiculous article today in which he calls Dolphins' LB Joey Porter "...a breath of fresh air...in an otherwise staid NFL", and having him direct us "not to "hate Joey Porter", I would like to retract my endorsement of Gaspar.

In Joey Porter, we have a guy who is still whining about the two AFC title losses to the Pats, suffered while he was in Pittsburgh...and a guy who refers to our team as a bunch of cheats, based on the bogus, media created Spygate "scandal". Yet...Gaspar refers to this moron as a "breath of fresh air"?? Seems like the only air that Porter is spewing is that of sour grapes.

To have one of our own sportswriters somewhat defend and elevate the words of this whining buffoon baffles me. In the aftermath of our own local sportswriters breaking the bogus, uncorroborated Matt Walsh/Arlen Specter fable on the eve of the biggest game in the history of our beloved Patriots...you would hope by now that the local papers would find sportswriters who are more interested in supporting the local team and fan base...than in being controversial, and chasing Pulitzers.

Heres' Gaspar's article: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/11/miami
    _sound_mac.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Chris Gaspar...What Are You Talking About??

Need any of us point out (yet again) that the way to draw attention to oneself in a medium littered with hacks and posers is to say something outlandish and contrary to the party line?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Maybe Chris is auditioning for ESPN?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I find Chad Johnson "Ocho Cinco" amusing and somewhat entertaining.  His trash talking is all done in a light hearted manner.  Porter is just trash, and since when is smelling trash considered a breath of fresh air?

I too like Gasper but I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.  Blame the editors though.  They are clearly wanting to take the sports page in a different direction.  They set the tone that the writers must follow.  Maybe that was also one of the reasons Reiss departed?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Gaspar...What Are You Talking About??:
    I find Chad Johnson "Ocho Cinco" amusing and somewhat entertaining.  His trash talking is all done in a light hearted manner.  Porter is just trash, and since when is smelling trash considered a breath of fresh air?

RESPONSE: Agreed. Ocho is entertaining. His antics are focused on his capabilities...whereas guys like Porter and TO engage in personal  attacks, in which they challenge the integrity of a player or an entire team. If Gasper feels that Joey is a "breath of fresh air", I guess he feels the same way about TO too. Doesn't that tell you all you need to know?

I too like Gasper but I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.  Blame the editors though.  They are clearly wanting to take the sports page in a different direction.  They set the tone that the writers must follow.  Maybe that was also one of the reasons Reiss departed?

RESPONSE: Can't just blame the editors. After all, Gasper is the one writing this BS. Mike Reiss was popular (and good) because he tended to stick to the facts...and would gather information on things that Patriots fans were interested in knowing. He did not pontificate, and preach "opinions" just to be controversial. As for why he departed, my guess is that he left solely for the money. From reading his columns...he seemed to genuinely enjoy his job covering the Pats. 

Posted by carawaydj

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

I am so glad someone said this! When I read this story and saw how friendly Gasper was being towards Porter it made me sick. If he likes him so much he should move to Miami and write for the Phins. Tex yet again you are right on point. Guys like Chad Johnson are a breath of fresh air because they keep things light. But Joey Porter is just a bitter POS who has to make excuses for why his OLD team lost. Like I always say guys, you are not a loser till you make excuses for why you lost. Well Joey Porter is a loser. And by the way in pro sports arent you sopossed to live in teh now and focus n your current team? Seems to me that Porter still wishes he was a Steeler and has not moved on yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from simoncan. Show simoncan's posts

I didn't think Gaspar was elevating Porter's words or defending his point of view -- he just appreciates Porter for speaking his mind in a league where most players (and coaches) studiously avoid saying anything controversial.  Even though his perspective -- the Pats are / were cheaters, Brady whines for penalties, etc. -- is kind of laughable, he still makes the week more interesting for everyone.

Personally I didn't care much for Reiss -- no disrespect intended, he seems like a good guy, but his writing is bland and soulless.  He always plays it straight, and always takes the party line.  I think the Globe's coverage has improved dramatically since he left.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

At least you're not alone Pat. I've been ripping this guy also as a writer who is virtually unreadable. He falls into the category of stereotypical sports writer. He is a walking talking cliche'. Joey Porter a Breathe of fresh air? I didn't read the article because I won't support this trash any more in the media. But what I will say is this. This is typical lazy sports journalism. What hard work it is to write a story about a big mouth from the view point of the big mouth. If you like Joey Porter you will like Jerry Springer, MTV real world, survivor and every other "reality" TV show that isn't even close to "real". I'm not a big fan of sports columnists in general. They should stick to the facts and save their opinions for their family and friends. I can watch the games and make my own assessment of what happened. Most of these guys think because they have a pen that they're smart and you're uninformed as a biased fan. Ron Borges made a living off of this stuff. I know this is often said but...Don't read him. I don't and my quality of life hasn't gone down any.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

Why does anybody give trash talking ghetto players like Porter a microphone.  If we stop reporting BS and stick to the real questions, people like Porter we be less relevant.  Hay why do people on the other side of the road look at an accident?  Some things are never going to be fixed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriot54too. Show patriot54too's posts

simoncan
    didn't think Gaspar was elevating Porter's words or defending his point of view -- he just appreciates Porter for speaking his mind in a league where most players (and coaches) studiously avoid saying anything controversial.  Even though his perspective -- the Pats are / were cheaters, Brady whines for penalties, etc. -- is kind of laughable, he still makes the week more interesting for everyone.

Personally I didn't care much for Reiss -- no disrespect intended, he seems like a good guy, but his writing is bland and soulless.  He always plays it straight, and always takes the party line.  I think the Globe's coverage has improved dramatically since he left.  

Response:

As to para. 1, I agree.  If that is what Gaspar thinks, then good for him for writing it.  I can see his point.  I don't like Joey Porter, but he is part of the NFL that we all love and adds some flavor...offer bitter, but flavor nonetheless.

As to para. 2, I disagree.  The football coverage and breaking news, is sorely lacking ever since Reiss left.  I do get caught up with Reiss at ESPN and eventually if Patriots coverage doesn't improve here, I will take my readership elsewhere.  There are other newspaper websites or other entities to view/patronize on the web.  Overtime, this site will get viewed less and less if and when more people do not like the Patriots coverage.

"Thats all I got to say about that"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Chris Gaspar...What Are You Talking About??:
         Recently there was a popular thread started on this forum (which the Mods have apparently chosen to delete), questioning the merits of the Globe's sportswriters...and Chris Gaspar, in particular. I posted in that thread, defending Gaspar. But, after to reading his ridiculous article today in which he calls Dolphins' LB Joey Porter "...a breath of fresh air...in an otherwise staid NFL", and having him direct us "not to "hate Joey Porter", I would like to retract my endorsement of Gaspar.      In Joey Porter, we have a guy who is still whining about the two AFC title losses to the Pats, suffered while he was in Pittsburgh...and a guy who refers to our team as a bunch of cheats, based on the bogus, media created Spygate "scandal". Yet...Gaspar refers to this moron as a "breath of fresh air"?? Seems like the only air that Porter is spewing is that of sour grapes.      To have one of our own sportswriters somewhat defend and elevate the words of this whining buffoon baffles me. In the aftermath of our own local sportswriters breaking the bogus, uncorroborated Matt Walsh/Arlen Specter fable on the eve of the biggest game in the history of our beloved Patriots...you would hope by now that the local papers would find sportswriters who are more interested in supporting the local team and fan base...than in being controversial, and chasing Pulitzers.      Heres' Gaspar's article: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/11/miami _sound_mac.html
    Posted by TexasPat3

I did not see that thread questioning the merits of the Globe writers but if the mods deleted it, that was very unethical.

This is why I rarely spend any time on the Globe site. Reiss was just about the only good writer here and I came here mainly for him. He stuck to football facts and didn't inflect or manipulate anything.

Now we're stuck with Shanknancy and Bob Cryin, and a bunch of young writers  who don't know their as$ from a hole in the ground. That write up by Walker that tried to paint a picture of Moss as someone who whined or was unhappy with his numbers, was unbelievable.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Why does anybody give trash talking ghetto players like Porter a microphone.  If we stop reporting BS and stick to the real questions, people like Porter we be less relevant.  Hay why do people on the other side of the road look at an accident?  Some things are never going to be fixed.
    Posted by can-pats-fan

He makes hack sports writer's jobs easy. They don't have to think to produce copy they just have to cut and paste his comments.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Gaspar must be channeling his inner Tomasse.....and with Gaspar being a little skinny guy and Tomasse being a big fat guy.....well? it isn't a pretty picture...;^)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I didn't think Gaspar was elevating Porter's words or defending his point of view -- he just appreciates Porter for speaking his mind in a league Posted by simoncan

This is a valid point right here, that Pats fan should well appreciate.

Guys like Porter (and Ocho and TO) make the jobs of guys like Gaspar a lot easier. I can imagine covering the Pats could be very frustrating for certain kinds of "journalists." I can understand why someone who has to deal with Belichick saying seventeen varieties of nothing every week would appreciate covering a mouth-runner every now and again. Of course, the flipside of this argument is that the guy who prefers the easy take is probably not going to be your best source if you're looking for anything more than surface fluff.

In the final analysis, Joey Porter is a whiney little deusche, and if Chris Gaspar admires that, well . . .

do the math.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

Gaspar's writing is consistently amateurish, void of any creative thought, and really worthy of a small-town weekly, or a high school paper.

I can tell in 10 words when I am reading his work or anybody elses.

It is truly awful.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

I agree with most of you guys G-A-S-P-E-R su cks donkey ball s and i applaud the 2 guys in here that spelled his last name correctly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Let's see, the last time the Patriots played Miami, the game was absolutely three scores over when, out of nowhere, Channing Crowder committed a purposeless, flagrant personal foul.  An enraged Matt Light took offense -- some people remember the incident.  Crowder got ejected and he got the worst of it as a bonus.  A play or two later Joey Porter committed a second purposeless, flagrant personal foul. 

It's not what Porter says.  Porter talked more trash than this about the Jets last week.  It's the fact that he (and maybe his coach put him up to it) felt motivated to strike out at players once Miami had no hope of winning the game. 

Free speech stops at the other guy's nose.  If Porter plays at a new low for premeditated on-field violence, why shouldn't he lose his right to speak to the media?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

if there's one thing i cant stand... its people who just write outlandish things just to be provocative and to be contrarian to the choir of the fans! both joey porter and gasper fit this bill and should be immediately banned and censored by all the communist moderators everywhere!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Quite unbelieveably, the untalented "writer" took a chance at the bRUINS...left many readers wondering how/why he weas assigned.  Personaly, I'm not a Gaspar fan and would bet HIM money that I could do a much better job.  At this junction, I basically disregard his bathroom fodder.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maz. Show Maz's posts

Quite unbelieveably, the untalented "writer" took a chance at the bRUINS...left many readers wondering how/why he weas assigned.  Personaly, I'm not a Gaspar fan and would bet HIM money that I could do a much better job.  At this junction, I basically disregard his bathroom fodder.
    Posted by BTownExpress

You have to learn how to use spell check 1st  :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Joey Porter didn't even make the stat sheet in todays' game. Now thats what I call a breath of fresh air...LOL!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Posted by BTownExpress

At this juncture, you would lose that bet.

Sections
Shortcuts