Chris Henry: Talented? Or just troubled?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Chris Henry: Talented? Or just troubled?

It's unfortunate to see Chris Henry go, not only for the obvious reasons such as the fact that he leaves behind three young children, but also because he was intriguing.  If he ever got his act together, I think he could have done great things.

I shouldn't use this tragedy for personal gain, but I have a running dispute over the definition of the word talent, which is why I attached the poll to this board.  I won't say which position I hold - I'll leave it for you to weigh in.

In that same respect, I'd also like to hear your thoughts regarding the Pats' defense being talented.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Re: Chris Henry: Talented? Or just troubled?

Nick I love you bro but this is a dumb question the kid clearly had talent. He had loads of talent, he had talent coming out of his *ass. He was also a troubled young man but he was 26 when he died and no longer a young man and he was becoming a man not a "young man" you dig? He had kept his nose clean for a while now so when he died he was only talented and no longer a troubled young football player. Its a sad story.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

He was pretty talented and troubled. I don't really hold the troubled part against people because it aint easy being young. I can't say how much $hitt I did and was lucky I never got caught. We all grow up eventually though and he had enough talent to make it work if his head was indeed skkrewed on right this year.

As far as the Pats defense being talented I think they are. Talent isn't always translated into good play on the field though. I really think we need a DC change to get the most out of these guys. I may be wrong..They may just need time to grow a little more. Romeo may be ready to make a comeback and that's my #1 wish for an offseason aquisition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I don't like the answer choices.  We need to add a "both" choice.  You say he never put it together on the field.  Did you mean to write "off" the field?  He's played pretty well on the field and was only getting better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

So here's how all this started.

Where does this team go from here?

posted at 12/6/2009 4:25 PM EST
    First: 6/2/2008
    Last: 12/17/2009
    I look at this year's Patriots and I see a lot of talent, but they have problems in way too many key areas.

Pass rush: non-existent
    Playing on the road: can't adjust to new conditions
    Play-calling: Brady is constantly getting to the line late and either rushing to get plays off or taking delay of game penalties
    Kaczur: can't block in the clutch
    3-man rush vs. 5 linemen: the 3-man rush is getting to Brady on a regular basis
    No 3rd receiver: Aiken is way too inconsistent
    Secondary: Butler doesn't sink his hips and fire his feet when the receiver sinks his hips; Bodden doesn't know his zone assignments; teams either run double moves at Butler or flood plays to Bodden's side
    Second Half: They can't put the game away and finish strong
    Red zone: They can't score touchdowns when they get within the opponents' 20-yard line because their offense depends on passing and gimmick runs

There are 4 games left in the season and we're still waiting for this Patriots team to come together.  I'm starting to wonder if it ever will.

I do know this, though - help isn't coming from anywhere else at this point.  In my eyes, it would take a miracle for this Patriots team to find a way to play quality football on a consistent basis.
    I once prayed for a bicycle, then I realized that God doesn't operate that way, so I stole a bicycle and prayed for forgiveness.
    You start a thread and begin with: you think the team has talent then rip them for Basically sucking.  Which they do in the areas mentioned. 

I post the following:

Re: Where does this team go from here?

posted at 12/6/2009 4:30 PM EST
    First: 10/11/2009
    I don't see the Talent?  Talent wins close games.

I believe talent LB can get to the QB by beating their opponent not only with speed and strength but smarts and technique.  The same is true for DB's speed and jumping don't make a talented DB but speed, strength, quickness, jumping ability, technique and smarts are what make up talented DB.  Quite frankly I believe our back 8 are just not to smart.  They don't seem to learn for week to week as was pointed out by Teddy B about Meriweather.

Then came

Re: Where does this team go from here?

posted at 12/6/2009 4:41 PM EST
    First: 6/2/2008
    In Response to Re: Where does this team go from here?:
    I don't see the Talent?  Talent wins close games.
    Posted by K-max

I think we have different concepts of talent.

To me, talent is athletic ability.  Talent is having two Pro-Bowl receivers, three Pro-Bowl interior linemen (Mankins, Koppen, Neal), a Pro-Bowl nose tackle (Wilfork), defensive end (Warren), and middle linebacker (Mayo) to go along with a future Hall-of-Fame QB in Brady.

Talent is also having a stable of young cornerbacks who can run 4.4s 40-yard dashes, 6.8s cone drills, and jump 40 inches in the air.

They have a TON of talent.

They're finding ways to not get it done, like when Chris Baker calls timeout with Miami's defense confused and nobody covering Welker, or Aiken having a couple balls hit him in the hands, or Brady overthrowing Aiken down the left sideline and Welker in the seam in the 4th quarter.

They have TALENT.  They have the ABILITY to do, but they're not getting it done in key moments.

That would be the difference between the Patriots and a team like the Raiders, who have very little talent.
    I once prayed for a bicycle, then I realized that God doesn't operate that way, so I stole a bicycle and prayed for forgiveness.
    So we obviously have different opinions on talent you feel it's mostly athleticism (running and jumping) and I feel it more smarts and technique. 

Now we are going at each other.  So I'll start by apologising and removing any derogatory post I may have made and simply recognize we both view Talent differently.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Henry: Talented? Or just troubled?:
    So here's how all this started. Where does this team go from here? posted at 12/6/2009 4:25 PM EST NickC1188 Posts: 1155 First: 6/2/2008 Last: 12/17/2009 I look at this year's Patriots and I see a lot of talent, but they have problems in way too many key areas. Pass rush : non-existent Playing on the road : can't adjust to new conditions Play-calling : Brady is constantly getting to the line late and either rushing to get plays off or taking delay of game penalties Kaczur : can't block in the clutch 3-man rush vs. 5 linemen : the 3-man rush is getting to Brady on a regular basis No 3rd receiver : Aiken is way too inconsistent Secondary : Butler doesn't sink his hips and fire his feet when the receiver sinks his hips; Bodden doesn't know his zone assignments; teams either run double moves at Butler or flood plays to Bodden's side Second Half : They can't put the game away and finish strong Red zone : They can't score touchdowns when they get within the opponents' 20-yard line because their offense depends on passing and gimmick runs There are 4 games left in the season and we're still waiting for this Patriots team to come together.  I'm starting to wonder if it ever will. I do know this, though - help isn't coming from anywhere else at this point.  In my eyes, it would take a miracle for this Patriots team to find a way to play quality football on a consistent basis. I once prayed for a bicycle, then I realized that God doesn't operate that way, so I stole a bicycle and prayed for forgiveness. You start a thread and begin with: you think the team has talent then rip them for Basically sucking.  Which they do in the areas mentioned.  I post the following: Re: Where does this team go from here? posted at 12/6/2009 4:30 PM EST K-max Posts: 977 First: 10/11/2009 Last: 12/17/2009 I don't see the Talent?  Talent wins close games. I believe talent LB can get to the QB by beating their opponent not only with speed and strength but smarts and technique.  The same is true for DB's speed and jumping don't make a talented DB but speed, strength, quickness, jumping ability, technique and smarts are what make up talented DB.  Quite frankly I believe our back 8 are just not to smart.  They don't seem to learn for week to week as was pointed out by Teddy B about Meriweather. Then came Re: Where does this team go from here? posted at 12/6/2009 4:41 PM EST NickC1188 Posts: 1155 First: 6/2/2008 Last: 12/17/2009 In Response to Re: Where does this team go from here? : I don't see the Talent?  Talent wins close games. Posted by K-max I think we have different concepts of talent. To me, talent is athletic ability.  Talent is having two Pro-Bowl receivers, three Pro-Bowl interior linemen (Mankins, Koppen, Neal), a Pro-Bowl nose tackle (Wilfork), defensive end (Warren), and middle linebacker (Mayo) to go along with a future Hall-of-Fame QB in Brady. Talent is also having a stable of young cornerbacks who can run 4.4s 40-yard dashes, 6.8s cone drills, and jump 40 inches in the air. They have a TON of talent. They're finding ways to not get it done, like when Chris Baker calls timeout with Miami's defense confused and nobody covering Welker, or Aiken having a couple balls hit him in the hands, or Brady overthrowing Aiken down the left sideline and Welker in the seam in the 4th quarter. They have TALENT.  They have the ABILITY to do, but they're not getting it done in key moments. That would be the difference between the Patriots and a team like the Raiders, who have very little talent. I once prayed for a bicycle, then I realized that God doesn't operate that way, so I stole a bicycle and prayed for forgiveness. So we obviously have different opinions on talent you feel it's mostly athleticism (running and jumping) and I feel it more smarts and technique.  Now we are going at each other.  So I'll start by apologising and removing any derogatory post I may have made and simply recognize we both view Talent differently.
    Posted by K-max

I apologize, too.  I could have handled myself much better than I did.  I kind of BS'd my way out of round 2 of the argument (Vollmer)

It's cool.  Let's get back to harassing underdogg(g).  Nothing brings Pats fans together like Colts fans lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Wasnt he a gangster with a long history of criminal behavior? Why make him into a hero? He made the decisions that he made. How is this any different than a gangster getting killed by another gangster in a bad neighborhood?  The guy had all the resources he needed to change his lifestyle, but he couldnt live a normal life.

I wish people would stop glorifying he had and speaking of all the talent he might have had. We need to spend more time discussing heroes like Pat Tillman and the sacrifices he and other soldiers make on a daily basis to benefit this nation!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Most def. he was both. He was arrested something like 5-6 times. Very talented guy, but who isnt talented in the pros. Talent alone isnt good enough, look at the Yankees took em, what bout 10 yrs, 2billion, and how many all-star teams to finally win the WS. I dont think Chris ever had more than like 6-700yrds(off top of my head). Guy has what 6'4-6'5, 200lbs, could catch, had long speed. But like I said U need much more than that to put it all together on the field. He clearly had issues, but who doesnt, Anyone knew bout my skeletons Id be put away w/out the key. I just wish his fam. the best.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Chris Henry: Talented? Or just troubled?:
    Wasnt he a gangster with a long history of criminal behavior? Why make him into a hero? He made the decisions that he made. How is this any different than a gangster getting killed by another gangster in a bad neighborhood?  The guy had all the resources he needed to change his lifestyle, but he couldnt live a normal life. I wish people would stop glorifying he had and speaking of all the talent he might have had. We need to spend more time discussing heroes like Pat Tillman and the sacrifices he and other soldiers make on a daily basis to benefit this nation!
    Posted by Spetznaz24

Well said.

Henry was a pure D punk convicted of numerous assaults, DUIs, drug and weapons and domestic violence charges. He was killed as he pounded on the roof of his fiance's moving pickup in yet another incident of domestic violence. This doesn't sound like a guy who's turned it around to me.

As a talented athlete he had many more chances that the average guy would  ever get to go straight. He chose not to. So let's not make him into a martyr. Better that his own deeds did him in rather that driving drunk into some family's minivan, IMHO. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"We need to spend more time discussing heroes like Pat Tillman" 

Agreed. The fact that he was killed by friendly fire has never been thoroughly examined. His own family has been trying to press this issue, we should too. In fact they blamed the investigation as "`shamefully unacceptable'". 

As far as Chris Henry is concerned, the point is that he had indeed made many changes to his life. I hate to break it to you, but we need stories of redemption and overcoming odds as well. Not all of us are perfect American heroes. I could care less about Henry's talent. But he was determined to turn his life around and that matters. Here's a quote from a teammate: ""He's a big part of what we are," left tackle Andrew Whitworth said in the article. "I really admire how he carries himself, how he's changed his life, and how he's made his career his passion." The Bengals Owner had similar things to say. No, he wasn't perfect. But he wasn't dealing drugs and thugging either. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

First of all, a guy who chooses to be a punk is not "troubled." The day before yesterday, if your sister or your daughter brought this guy home you would have chased him away with a shotgun -- and I don't care how much volunteer work he did in N'awlins. He was not the victim of some terrible tragedy. He wasn't a victim of anything, really, unless you count his own bad choices. I doubt very many of us woul pass a white-glove test on our character, youthful indescretion being what it is, but when is enough too much? Is all to be forgiven because the last stupid thing he did turned out to be THE LAST stupid thing he did?

Sections
Shortcuts